00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Building MindChamber (Part 2)

6,541 Views | 47 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-10 14:20:46

I was hoping I'd get this done completely in time for RobotDay, but once again, things happen, blah blah. So I was hoping you guys can keep me motivated by making a progress thread here.

Ita been like over a year since I finished the MindChamber sculpt. So now its time to make the actual robot for the cartoon.

So using that figure as a starting point I made a rotation of MC in various angles, and Im now starting to model him. when hes done he will be cell shaded for the cartoon and the boy will be 2D with 3d references, kinda like Iron giant.

or so heres the rotation image.

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-10 14:21:29

Slowly but surely.

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-10 14:22:43

Just playing with some lights here,

making him in 3d allows me to add way more detail that the figure, since I dont need a steady hand to do so.
Hes got all sorts of neat cables coming from the back of his head now.

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-10 14:32:47

looks awesome man! I do hope you can finish this in time! What program are you using anyways?

Say something nice to someone today!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-10 14:33:35

Looking great,man...can't wait for the finished model :)

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-10 14:42:22

At 7/10/11 02:32 PM, renaissancekid wrote: looks awesome man! I do hope you can finish this in time! What program are you using anyways?

thanks Im using max

I added the waist pistons last night

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-10 14:49:29

At 7/10/11 02:42 PM, MindChamber wrote:
At 7/10/11 02:32 PM, renaissancekid wrote: looks awesome man! I do hope you can finish this in time! What program are you using anyways?
thanks Im using max

I added the waist pistons last night

I GOTTA SAY MAN. Robots are your forte.

I am a FAB

BBS Signature

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-10 14:52:31

oh yeah did you know that believe it or not,the Iron giant was made frame by frame.. the drawings were soo percise, that it looked 3d..

BBS Signature

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-10 16:15:30

Awesome work as ever.
Makes me slightly more motivated to finally get to redesigning my bot.

Can't wait to see it finished.

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-10 17:04:14

I notice you didn't draw the concepts in for the arms. Are those going to be done separately, and then you'll just rig the pieces together?

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-10 17:20:47

At 7/10/11 02:52 PM, renaissancekid wrote: oh yeah did you know that believe it or not,the Iron giant was made frame by frame.. the drawings were soo percise, that it looked 3d..

it was 3d

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-10 18:20:00

At 7/10/11 05:20 PM, M-Vero wrote:
At 7/10/11 02:52 PM, renaissancekid wrote: oh yeah did you know that believe it or not,the Iron giant was made frame by frame.. the drawings were soo percise, that it looked 3d..
it was 3d

sorry your right.. I looked it up in wikipedia..

BBS Signature

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-10 22:57:18

At 7/10/11 05:04 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I notice you didn't draw the concepts in for the arms. Are those going to be done separately, and then you'll just rig the pieces together?

yup, once Im done with the body I will be adding a reference image of the arms,

also the boy will be done in 3d as well, but mostly for reference, the movement will drawn my hand.

I updated the boy a tiny bit, gave him bigger eyes etc.
it will be sometime before I get to him, MC is gonna take a while

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-11 04:27:22

MC.. something about your art now... It looks like your losin your style man... (why I say?) because I see your old art. And it looks a little more....Something about it... I dunoo..

BBS Signature

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-11 05:57:25

Lol, the boy looks like a mix of Pico and Shia Laboeuf.
Looking great though.

BBS Signature

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-11 16:21:25

At 7/11/11 05:57 AM, test-object wrote: Lol, the boy looks like a mix of Pico and Shia Laboeuf.
Looking great though.

haha yah shia is pretty mopey, good reference

At 7/11/11 04:27 AM, renaissancekid wrote: MC.. something about your art now... It looks like your losin your style man... (why I say?) because I see your old art. And it looks a little more....Something about it... I dunoo..

Thanks for the thorough and in depth explanation as to why Im losing my style.

how about reserving judging until I finish?

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-11 17:00:34

At 7/11/11 04:27 AM, renaissancekid wrote: MC.. something about your art now... It looks like your losin your style man... (why I say?) because I see your old art. And it looks a little more....Something about it... I dunoo..
Thanks for the thorough and in depth explanation as to why Im losing my style.

yes it was indeed it WAS thorough *sarcastic*. Dude! LET THE MAN FINISH! I like the wip alot... I wish I had something else to say about it, but its not finished yet. All I have to say is good luck with your wip.

the lord of our savior. el christio

BBS Signature

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-11 21:15:10

At 7/11/11 05:00 PM, rendibsivad wrote: yes it was indeed it WAS thorough *sarcastic*. Dude! LET THE MAN FINISH! I like the wip alot... I wish I had something else to say about it, but its not finished yet. All I have to say is good luck with your wip.

Just because he's an Admin doesn't mean you have to rush to his defense when someone criticizes him.
He's a big boy. He can handle himself.

Can't you Luis?

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-11 21:43:07

His pose looks kind of stiff, but that's pretty much the only shortcoming I can find to this thing. And I mean, it can be easily fixed by slightly thrusting his pelvic section forward and given the legs a slight bend at the knees.
I've always been envious of people like you though; no matter how much I tried I was never able to --for the life of me-- create details on a robot that look... well, mechanical. Like, plausibly mechanical without feeling fake or over the top.
So, respect for that!
Haha it's still kind of funny seeing you snap at pointless critique but hey, I guess when you're an NG bigwig, you get tired of having the community throw vague crap at you.
I'm done brown-nosing :O
Anxious to see the finish bot.

P.S. what's up with that little elvish frill on the front of his chest piece? First time I notice that... o.o

BBS Signature

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-11 23:55:07

At 7/11/11 09:43 PM, Kumakun4 wrote:
Haha it's still kind of funny seeing you snap at pointless critique but hey, I guess when you're an NG bigwig, you get tired of having the community throw vague crap at you.

ehh but I didnt snap, this is an open forum, Im fine with what he said, Im just curious by what he meant. is all. But really the model isnt done, so really there isnt any 'style'.

as for him being stiff, once the body is complete, and rigged, I will be able to pose him in a more relaxed position.

sorry no progress tonight, started on the waist, but thats about it.

P.S. what's up with that little elvish frill on the front of his chest piece? First time I notice that... o.o

thats a gonna be replaced, but mindchamber was built around the 1800s so hes gonna have some of the embroidery that you would see like machinery from those times, like coal stoves and steam engines.

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-12 00:00:37

At 7/11/11 11:55 PM, MindChamber wrote:
At 7/11/11 09:43 PM, Kumakun4 wrote:
But really the model isnt done, so really there isnt any 'style'.

um. I meant the turnaround drawing. but you dont need to have line quality or anything like that for the sketchs (silly me).... Sorry Im not making myself clear. Im just sleepy... g'bye.

BBS Signature

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-12 04:12:45

Real impressive work sir. Can I ask what program you use? I asked because of that 3d-ish look on your WIPs.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-12 04:51:32

You're crazy, fool. You are an AWESOME draftsman, AND you do 3D stuff? Sweet jesus.

See my comics, updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday!

http://www.toonhole.com

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-12 04:59:23

At 7/12/11 04:12 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: Real impressive work sir. Can I ask what program you use? I asked because of that 3d-ish look on your WIPs.

He already answered that, man - it's 3D Studio Max, an atrociously expensive 3D program for purpose by the well inebriated. I mean, the only other competition that I can think of to it would happen to be Blender, so its Max.

Nice WIPs so far, Mindchamber, and it's got that classic "lax" posing you always manage to input into your work, without the sloppiness that's associated with it. Especially love the Mindchamber model. I just love robots.

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-12 14:58:42

Would be cool seeing that thing 3D printed in a kickass pose :D

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else.

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-12 20:18:04

At 7/12/11 04:59 AM, Lintire wrote:
At 7/12/11 04:12 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: Real impressive work sir. Can I ask what program you use? I asked because of that 3d-ish look on your WIPs.
He already answered that, man - it's 3D Studio Max, an atrociously expensive 3D program for purpose by the well inebriated. I mean, the only other competition that I can think of to it would happen to be Blender, so its Max.

Totally agree, max price is super redic. I would suggest Blender to anyone starting out.

Im just so used to max, its hard to get into another program, I was able to make this game model in blender, so Im sure I would get the hang of it if I kept at it.

Nice WIPs so far, Mindchamber, and it's got that classic "lax" posing you always manage to input into your work, without the sloppiness that's associated with it. Especially love the Mindchamber model. I just love robots.

thanks I really dont have the hand for tighert lines, I wish I did ha

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-12 22:14:04

I love the character designs. This is gonna be awesome

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-13 01:57:55

At 7/10/11 10:57 PM, MindChamber wrote: I updated the boy a tiny bit, gave him bigger eyes etc.
it will be sometime before I get to him, MC is gonna take a while

His shoes are untied.

ABORT MISSION.

BBS Signature

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-26 21:55:46

this is going super duper slow.

just did the thigh

Response to Building MindChamber (Part 2) 2011-07-26 22:02:06

OH MY GOOOSSH! about time this thread got renewed by just the op.

BBS Signature