00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Allthingz2020 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

monsterparty drawrs.

49,136 Views | 286 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

monsterparty drawrs. 2011-07-05 16:39:18

so i've considered starting a thread for a while now, but i didn't want to until i convinced myself i would keep up with it. honestly, i'm still not 100%, but what better way to motivate me to work on my thread than to know it's already there and getting stale? besides, i've been observing the forums for quite some time, and i can see that the majority of you are very willing to help a kid out, and the idea of getting critiqued is exciting. after a while, you stop getting it from people you know. so i'm going for it! :D

first, something stupid. a picture out of a book i made for a friend. a "friendship book", like someone who is cool makes. it's not exactly the best first impression of what i'm capable of as an artist, but that'll come around shortly. somehow it just makes sense to show this first.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-07-05 17:18:32

Congrats on the thread. I see you already have some experience with us.
Got a good start. Please, keep posting, Don't wait on us to reply. We'll say something when we need to.
I'll be looking forward to more.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-07-05 17:45:51

At 7/5/11 05:18 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Congrats on the thread. I see you already have some experience with us.
Got a good start. Please, keep posting, Don't wait on us to reply. We'll say something when we need to.
I'll be looking forward to more.

Or when we don't need to. Or if we're hungry or bored. But good ol Kinsei will help out if needed he is after all a world class whore. And I mean that in a good way.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-07-05 17:55:12

At 7/5/11 05:45 PM, MajesticBob wrote: Or when we don't need to. Or if we're hungry or bored. But good ol Kinsei will help out if needed he is after all a world class whore. And I mean that in a good way.

Makes me happy that I always know that I will live on through my whoring :3

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-07-05 18:10:03

At 7/5/11 05:55 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 7/5/11 05:45 PM, MajesticBob wrote: Or when we don't need to. Or if we're hungry or bored. But good ol Kinsei will help out if needed he is after all a world class whore. And I mean that in a good way.
Makes me happy that I always know that I will live on through my whoring :3

Yeah but now I got the Itch from wanting more reviews... and crabs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-07-05 23:28:52

ha, there's nothing more welcoming than talk of whores and crabs. i like you fellas. :]

some conceptual stuff. it's a little old, but it's relevant to a good bit of my current work.

all you really need to know about her is that her name is lillith, and she's the protagonist of this story this guy and i are writing. well, he's writing. i just draw pictures and get angry. she was a daredevil in a freakshow, but she ran away and [insert adventure here].

when i drew this, the writer and i agreed she would be blind, but he just recently decided it was too difficult to write for a blind character, so i guess i have to give her a face now.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-07-05 23:30:35

more conceptual art. same story.

her name is loyal. she is a princess and in a coma. i don't know what's going on with her yet.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-07-05 23:31:34

I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you!!!
More art please.

I love you I love you I love you :D

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-07-06 00:16:20

Good stuff. I noticed something though, both women have the exact same body types. Even the facial strucure is similar. You might want to try to vary it up a bit. But then again I can barely draw a stick figure so what do I know?

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-07-06 00:39:25

At 7/5/11 11:30 PM, monsterparty wrote: more conceptual art. same story.

her name is loyal. she is a princess and in a coma. i don't know what's going on with her yet.

This may sound odd, but I'm interested in that gun and holster. Can you draw them both separately and in different angles?

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-07-06 12:46:24

@majesticbob - you are absolutely right. when these were drawn, they hadn't yet been attached to a story, so i think i was more interested in costume design than in character design. next time i draw them, or just draw another person in general, i'll make sure to make a conscious effort to change up body types. thanks. :]

@kinsei - i think i will. i was in class when i drew these (so without reference), so i drew more of what i thought a gun and holster looked like as opposed to what they really look like. i think i tried to hide what i was unsure of in a gun with the holster. now that you ask though, i might as well do me some research and work it out.

in the mean time, here is a picture of not blind lillith i worked on this morning.
in the story, she eventually winds up in a rebel army, so i changed her clothes to fit the part. oh, and it's amazing how much i fail at hands at rest, so that's something else i need to work on.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-07-06 12:57:26

I like it. The nose bothers me a bit is she either in the cold? or related to Ted Kennedy? I looks like you added some meat to her bones, or maybe that's just the clothing either way she looks more like her own character. I do want to see more.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-07-07 19:41:17

painting commission.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-07-10 18:48:52

@majesticbob - ha, no, she doesn't have a cold. usually in my sketches though when i draw things like noses, i tend to start off with a silhouette of it just to get the shape right, and i don't usually clean up drawings until i ink.

eh. inking practice.
lately, i haven't really put in the time to go further than a sketch, so the practice is very much needed.
very very much. among other things of course, but for now just inking.
i may color this though. i fail at digital paint, so... that's probably where i should go with this.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-07-11 10:51:03

At 7/6/11 12:46 PM, monsterparty wrote:
in the mean time, here is a picture of not blind lillith i worked on this morning.
in the story, she eventually winds up in a rebel army, so i changed her clothes to fit the part. oh, and it's amazing how much i fail at hands at rest, so that's something else i need to work on.

Even though I think it looks really awesome, I get the feeling her tighs are kinda high, and a bit broad. But maybe the broadness just looks more exaggerated because of the higness.

Anyway I love your stuff, so keep posting! ;)

Boop the snoot

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-07-13 15:58:44

tattoo design for a friend. it's sort of terrible. she loves it though, so i guess that's that.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-07-13 17:28:36

At 7/7/11 07:41 PM, monsterparty wrote: painting commission.

Awesome! What did you use to make it?

At 7/10/11 06:48 PM, monsterparty wrote: eh. inking practice.
At 7/13/11 03:58 PM, monsterparty wrote: tattoo design for a friend. it's sort of terrible. she loves it though, so i guess that's that.

I really love those!

Who are you looking for? What are you looking at?

A light? a star. A boat? an insect. A plane? a flying fish

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-07-19 16:17:00

to breaktroll - yeah, her hips are rather wide, and her thighs are rather high. i didn't notice til coming back to it after a while. eh. now it bothers me. lol, thanks for pointing it out though! i get so excited about designing costumes i tend to let anatomical errors slip.

to mastermerol - thank you! and the humming bird painting was just acrylics.

a wip of a villain in a story i'm writing, totally seperate from that other story with the circus people. some guy is writing that one. this one is my baby. i notice i draw a lot of elves. too much zelda i suppose. lol, i beat ocarina of time for the first time in my life, and now i don't want to live. i have no purpose anymore. there's a big hole in my heart that not even majora's mask can fill.

so anyway...

i'm trying to learn how to digital paint. it's hard guys. i bought painter and a tablet back in middle school, but hated it. something about being unable to feel my paper and hunch over to have it mere inches away from my face bothered me, so i just sort of put it away and stuck with traditional stuff. i think now though, it's about time i gave digital painting another go, and i kind of like it. kind of. obviously this picture is very incomplete. it's actually a very small part to a much MUCH larger picture, and that's pretty stupid. why a decided to do something so ambitious with painter after NOT using it for over 4 years is beyond me.
sooooo feedback?

:D

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-07-19 17:08:11

That is looking splendid, especially considering it's a very early trip into digital painting for you. The face's textures and shading looks incredibly smooth. Very nice.
The only visible flaw I can point out within the structure of what you're painting is that the lips have a bit of an odd shape to them and look a bit heavy off the right, and her right eyebrow is significantly longer than her left one (and by that, I mean our left and right, respectively).

I only have really one tip for you, and I could be incorrect in saying this (you're obviously a much more skilled painter than I, after all), but I find it easier to properly distinguish between lights and darks when painting against an already dark background rather than a solid white one, in order to paint according to what tone and lighting would actually be in the setting surrounding the character and best match it.

Anyways, keep it up. It's looking great, and I hope you acclimate some more to digital media.

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-07-19 17:39:26

At 7/19/11 05:08 PM, Luxembourg wrote: The only visible flaw I can point out within the structure of what you're painting is that the lips have a bit of an odd shape to them and look a bit heavy off the right, and her right eyebrow is significantly longer than her left one (and by that, I mean our left and right, respectively).

WOW! i didn't even notice her eyebrows. oh my gosh, and it's such a horribley noticable thing, it's nearly impossible to let it go unnoticed! but i did! i feel so silly now. thank you so much for saying something! and her lips are purposely odd shaped. stylistically, i wanted everything about her to be a little twisted and odd. i do see what you mean by them looking heavy on the right though. thank you again.

I only have really one tip for you, and I could be incorrect in saying this (you're obviously a much more skilled painter than I, after all), but I find it easier to properly distinguish between lights and darks when painting against an already dark background rather than a solid white one, in order to paint according to what tone and lighting would actually be in the setting surrounding the character and best match it.

ha, yeah. i normally do that, and i actually started to with this. then i thought she is a storm witch, and in the image she is a part of a storm. i figured since she is the one creating the environment, i'd try something new and make the setting fit her. then i'd go and make everything else in the picture match that. does that make sense? ha, probably not. i don't really know what i'm doing.

thank you so much for your feedback!

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-07-20 22:41:38

more on my wip. still extremely incomplete.

the lower resolution took out a lot of the highlights in her hair, and that makes me sad. i suppose that being the case though, the hair was probably too dark to begin with because that shouldn't happen right? so guess i should fix that... tomorrow.

i did fix her eyebrow though! and i attempted to fix her lip. success?

despite this being in a rather early stage of developement, feedback would be super. i'd hate to get to the end of this and thenfind a bunch of things wrong.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-08-15 15:46:50

i've been trying really hard to be productive, but it's too hot.

i don't know what this is. just a doodle out of a notebook.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-08-15 16:04:40

I like the way you shade a lot, smooth like butter

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-08-19 16:51:08

another page out of my notebook.

i wanted to try out some anime, and it didn't really work out. i sort of hate this picture, but you can see it anyway. i'll probably try again on account of my insatiable need to be good at everything. D:

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-09-08 22:36:14

poster for a play that a friend is putting together. it's supposed to be alice in wonderland meets doctor suess meets edward gorey sort of design.

unfortunately, this is the only thing i've managed to do with myself lately.

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-09-08 23:40:26

Your art is impressive I like your attention to detail. I couldn't help but notice though that those two characters of yours seem to have a similar pose, and quite look the same. Im into the anime type style, and you have that feel with your works too. Except that it has more of a realistic feel to it. Keep up the awesome work though I'd like to see more.

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.

My art thread

My comic thread

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-09-09 17:07:42

At 9/8/11 11:40 PM, Ramatsu wrote: Your art is impressive I like your attention to detail. I couldn't help but notice though that those two characters of yours seem to have a similar pose, and quite look the same.

and that's actually a comment I've gotten a lot. I remember attempting to make them different at the time, but I think I got a little too caught up in the details. The drawings are a little old though, and I'm sure if I tried again it would turn out much better.

Im into the anime type style, and you have that feel with your works too. Except that it has more of a realistic feel to it. Keep up the awesome work though I'd like to see more.

And thank you again! I'm glad that it comes through. I personally have always been into western comics and shoot for a more western style. I was actually raised in Japan though and anime has been a major influence in my drawings, which is a little odd since I actually have some trouble drawing anime. Anyway, I try to keep the eatern spirit in my art, and I'm glad it shows.

Anyway, some realism practice. :)

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-09-09 17:28:09

This is neat, I could never draw realism! I mean I can but I'd never get no where to finishing it.. I lose interest quick sadly. My mind just likes to imagine alot, because I have weird dreams and it's just running with ideas impossible with our laws of physics. Also i apologize about going out of context lol, did you use a reference for this latest piece? I am amazed at your skill!

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.

My art thread

My comic thread

BBS Signature

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-09-10 16:48:35

At 9/9/11 05:28 PM, Ramatsu wrote: This is neat, I could never draw realism! I mean I can but I'd never get no where to finishing it.. I lose interest quick sadly. My mind just likes to imagine alot, because I have weird dreams and it's just running with ideas impossible with our laws of physics. Also i apologize about going out of context lol, did you use a reference for this latest piece? I am amazed at your skill!

Thanks. :]
I have a lot of fun with realism, but like you, I prefer to draw from my imagination. It's hard to be surprised by results when you're life drawing. And it's a self-portrait actually, so it was referenced from a mirror.

---

Well, at the moment I'm trying to get back into this whole drawing thing. I actually need to fill up a sketch book cover to cover to apply to school, so expect some little sketchbook things in the near future. In the meantime, a new character my friend inroduced into his story. And it's a man! The first time I've posted a picture of a guy. I got lazy towards his legs, but it's not gonna get better than this. ):

monsterparty drawrs.

Response to monsterparty drawrs. 2011-09-11 19:01:07

its all so clean and wonderful...

Like me on the FaceBook :D