00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zombiehit just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Another Concept

4,122 Views | 69 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-17 02:33:51

At 8/17/11 02:29 AM, sirhenrystudios wrote: joker drawing 1

You need to work on the shading (especially on the clothes) a bit since they appear to be unorganized. Use smaller and precise strokes next time.

Also the heads on your some characters look disgustingly big. You should change that. Srsly.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-17 02:34:58

these are actually about 2 years old, just posting them

"Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions."

BBS Signature

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-17 02:38:22

At 8/17/11 02:34 AM, sirhenrystudios wrote: these are actually about 2 years old, just posting them

Well they sure look a lot better than your current drawings I may say. What happened? The anatomy on your older drawings look a lot more accurate and less with the giant heads.

BBS Signature

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-17 02:42:25

good lord after reading through the mess of this you seem to have no purpose posting at all
you say your looking for opinions or thoughts yet you reject what anyone says with a fake "haha" and gives the lame excuse for "oh everyone has their own opinion"
no you need to quit avoiding around the words people are telling you and dont reply with such defensive words
if people say the squirtle looking thing has a huge head maybe take that into thought, or dont post here at all if you dont want someone to say something about your art

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-17 03:15:42

At 8/17/11 02:42 AM, Civilized-Apocalypse wrote: good lord after reading through the mess of this you seem to have no purpose posting at all
you say your looking for opinions or thoughts yet you reject what anyone says with a fake "haha" and gives the lame excuse for "oh everyone has their own opinion"
no you need to quit avoiding around the words people are telling you and dont reply with such defensive words
if people say the squirtle looking thing has a huge head maybe take that into thought, or dont post here at all if you dont want someone to say something about your art

I don't reject anybody's opinions, they are all taken into consideration. The way the characters are drawn, the anatomy is not important, it's a cartoon character, not a real person. Watch some older cartoons and then tell me about the anatomy of my characters. The head is the way it is, I am looking for feedback on overall composition and quality of the piece, not how you think my character should be drawn.

BBS Signature

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-17 03:21:09

i think its completly fair to say that everyone in this conversation knows what a cartoon is and how they can express character personality to reflect on their actual appearance
that being said
his head still looks silly as that size
were not saying shorten it to an actual size because this is a cartoon and were trying to offer ideas with his apperance
but you really talk like your the top banana and that we dont know anything even if you dont intend to come off as that, it really sounds like it
D:

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-17 03:28:53

At 8/17/11 03:15 AM, sirhenrystudios wrote:

:The way the characters are drawn, the anatomy is not important, it's a cartoon character, not a real person.

What? Seriously. What? You're not making any sense here. Cartoons still follow direct guides on anatomy on their characters. Sure they bend and distort it, but they do it the right way. They bend anatomy in a way it looks good and funny. Yours however, borders on the abnormal. You have to learn the rules before you can break them. I've encountered a fair number of people coming up with the same ludicrous excuse you're telling us now. And they never improved. Never.

If you're gonna act like this then you should probably stop doing art altogether since all the other artists will say the exact same thing I'm telling you.

Watch some older cartoons and then tell me about the anatomy of my characters. The head is the way it is,

That giant head is a disgusting eye sore. Trust me, it's not good.

I am looking for feedback on overall composition and quality of the piece, not how you think my character should be drawn.

If you want feedback on quality I'll be direct and say it looks absolutely terrible. The quality is just depressing. Your drawings from 2 years ago even look 10 times better than your bobble headed creations. The coloring doesn't look very pleasant, It seems to have no direction.

BBS Signature

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-17 04:07:54

At 6/18/11 06:30 PM, sirhenrystudios wrote: Kid Henry Concept

Based on your drawings, this is how I imagine they look in profile:

I agree with everyone that it is a poor design.

Another Concept

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-17 17:22:01

How would you get that? the head is still centered on the body dude, its just extremely large. I have already stated before, the characters are meant to have big heads, because I created them so. I have already rigged this character in 3d, and believe me, the anatomy works as it should.
3d Rig

BBS Signature

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-17 17:24:16

At 8/17/11 04:07 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 6/18/11 06:30 PM, sirhenrystudios wrote: Kid Henry Concept
Based on your drawings, this is how I imagine they look in profile:

I agree with everyone that it is a poor design.

Even better, here is the actual side view of my character, not that shit you drew to be a smart-ass

BBS Signature

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-17 17:25:49

Henry walk cycle
Side view

BBS Signature

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-17 17:39:40

At 8/17/11 05:25 PM, sirhenrystudios wrote: Henry walk cycle
Side view

The walk cycle isn't great, their is no sense of weight. The torso doesn't even move at all, its all in the arms and legs. The character should bounce just a little as he walks, as well as shift from side to side a little bit. Getting some nice twisting of the hips and shoulders in there would be good as well. At the moment it looks like a very stiff walk, like you got the steps down, but then got lazy and decided not to finish the animation.
The character design seems prime for some nice squash and stretch. You should take advantage of that.

As for the actual design, the overly large head is annoying, but not a game breaker. I'm not going to dig in to the anatomy, simply because I really don't care. Its not a design I would settle on, I would personally refine it some more, but thats about it.
And yes Anatomy does play in older style cartoons. Only during very specific scenes was the anatomy extremely distorted. But at all other times it tended to remain consistent.

Also 6 seconds isn't enough to get a good look at the walk cycle. You should aim for 10 seconds at least, and 20 if you want a real good hard look at it.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-17 17:45:57

That is some of the best feedback that I have gotten so far, I thank you for that. The animation was a bit rushed, so yeah, I totally agree that it need some refining. The anatomy on my character is pretty consistent with how he moves and how he's is built, I thank you for not ranting and raving about it. No wonder you are 4th for reviews.....

BBS Signature

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-17 17:46:52

They look like they're made out of chewed bubblegum.

"Why do you hide, stupid aliens? Mr. Zurkon only wishes for to kill you."

BBS Signature

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-17 17:54:35

At 8/17/11 05:45 PM, sirhenrystudios wrote: I thank you for not ranting and raving about it.

See we can all be adults here.

RIGHT GUYS!

I would suggest working on some character sheets and designs. Perhaps doing another walk cycle. A bit longer this time (all you got to do is 3 steps and then loop it.) and try to get some more movement in to the character.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-17 18:12:26

Thanks for the feedback, I will take this into consideration and make another walk cycle that is a little longer.

BBS Signature

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-18 00:26:59

At 8/17/11 05:45 PM, sirhenrystudios wrote: I thank you for not ranting and raving about it. No wonder you are 4th for reviews.....

There you go, only listening to the things you want to hear. I never heard you say "Yes, I was wrong."

I'm starting to think those heads are actually a representation of your ego. I'm just saying.

BBS Signature

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-18 00:31:38

If I may ask what are you going to be doing with these characters? I assume you're trying to make a running series with them like a TV show or some sort of web series correct?

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-18 00:51:36

At 8/18/11 12:31 AM, JackDGreatest wrote: If I may ask what are you going to be doing with these characters? I assume you're trying to make a running series with them like a TV show or some sort of web series correct?

Correct.

At 8/18/11 12:26 AM, Fifty-50 wrote:
At 8/17/11 05:45 PM, sirhenrystudios wrote:
There you go, only listening to the things you want to hear. I never heard you say "Yes, I was wrong."
I'm starting to think those heads are actually a representation of your ego. I'm just saying.

dude, seriously gtfo. I have already had this sam argument with some dude before, now you try to pickup where he left off with your bullshit, seriously wtf

BBS Signature

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-18 00:59:31

At 8/18/11 12:51 AM, sirhenrystudios wrote:
At 8/18/11 12:31 AM, JackDGreatest wrote: If I may ask what are you going to be doing with these characters? I assume you're trying to make a running series with them like a TV show or some sort of web series correct?
Correct.

alright well if a majority of the people here believe that the heads are too big on your little alien dudes I'm willing to bet that your intended audience for your TV show/web series or whatever it's gonna be are going to think that the heads are a bit too large as well. I'm not saying that it'd make or break the show but The heads could be smaller.

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-18 01:00:40

At 8/18/11 12:51 AM, sirhenrystudios wrote: dude, seriously gtfo. I have already had this sam argument with some dude before, now you try to pickup where he left off with your bullshit, seriously wtf

Oh no. Someone's butthurt. Cursing is certainly a mature way to win an argument. I mean it's not like it's failed before. Well your art still looks terrible. So instead of venting your anger at me through your typing, why don't you use your hands to draw rage fueled drawing? You'll get better in no time.

No seriously if your gonna act all butthurt just because I told the truth then you shouldn't be in the internet.

I'll gtfo when I want to. You can't make me.

BBS Signature

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-18 01:50:47

You don't seem to understand that it doesn't matter if the big heads are part of your style. They look silly, plain and simple. And when people see this, they're not going to think "Oh, it's normal, that's just part of his style". They're going to think "Wow, those heads look weird and over sized". I hate to be so blunt, but 2 pages of the thread later and you still just don't seem to get that you need to change something, because if everyone in this thread is telling you they look weird, than they look weird.
You're trying to make excuses for the flaws in your style. You need to stop that or it'll never improve. By the way, in the last picture of your main character that you posted, you forgot to draw light bouncing off his eyes. That'd still work OK with humans eyes, but with the alien eyes it just makes them look like empty eye sockets. So don't do that.

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-18 02:07:08

I no longer wish to argue

BBS Signature

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-18 02:11:32

well taken, thanks for your feedback grim.......

BBS Signature

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-18 02:13:55

At 8/18/11 02:07 AM, sirhenrystudios wrote: I no longer wish to argue

Good, because it wouldn't be getting you anywhere anyways. If you wanna ignore all the advice people are giving you because it's your personal style, go right on ahead, but don't be surprised when people don't like it. You can keep making excuses about why your style looks the way it does, but that doesn't change the fact that it's unpleasant to the eye.

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-18 02:16:31

I am asking you nicely, stop posting on my thread

BBS Signature

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-18 03:26:42

At 8/18/11 02:16 AM, sirhenrystudios wrote: I am asking you nicely, stop posting on my thread

Can't just tell people to leave you're thread when they're saying stuff you don't like.

Aside from you're characters being a tad on the bland and generic side, I do understand what people are trying to say about the size of the characters head. I get it, they're there that way because that's how you draw them. From one artist who's rooted himself into a specific style to another. I understand how you feel about wanting to keep a certain aesthetic/look to your characters.

What seems to be the gist of what people are trying to get at with your characters heads being too big, is more that they're needlessly big. Good character design involved utilizing every aspect of your character. The huge heads on your characters do little more than just create empty space. Most of the characters I draw also have large heads compared to their bodies, but I use the space a larger head gives me to fill with added detail. Most of the space on your characters heads aren't being utilized. This isn't very aesthetically pleasing and just takes up space for the sake of taking up space. Your character can still have heads that are comically larger than their bodies, it's just about finding a good balance between how large you want the head and how much space you plan to actually use.

Now you can tell me that you leave all that space empty as an artistic choice and it's part of your style, but when you start using the "it's part of my style" excuse to defend poor aesthetic choices, that's just using your style as a crutch to prevent you from growing as an artist.

Everyone thinks the heads are too large? Take the criticism and start working out a way to fix that, but still keeping the overall look you want to go for. When I was doing crits for school, the biggest complaint I got was that my pieces didn't have a lot going on in them. I'm not much of a story teller, and I tend not to put meaning into anything I do. So I had to make up visually what I lack conceptually. I did this by experimenting with new ways to render and add more detail to my drawings. So it has something else to keep people looking at my pieces. Learning to take criticism, especially ones you don't necessarily agree with, and finding a way to get the outcome you want while still pleasing the viewer is very important.

I hope this helps, and it would be nice to see less bickering in this thread.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-18 03:30:56

once again, c-benny swoops in with massive amounts of correct :D

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-25 02:09:37

meatwad

Another Concept

BBS Signature

Response to Another Concept 2011-08-25 03:10:33

At 8/25/11 02:09 AM, sirhenrystudios wrote: meatwad

I do say, this looks better than your other ones. Without all that bulky shading your drawing look a lot more clean.

BBS Signature