00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mike181 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Video Games - Collectables?

1,754 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Video Games - Collectables? 2011-06-15 14:27:53

Let's face it, people will collect anything these days. But where do we see video games being brought into the mix? A standard platform release these days will look at making a good few hundred thousand sales as a minimum, but what about the older, more original games?

Much like how people start to nerd out on the romantic allure of vinyl records, I think over the coming decades some of the first forming gaming platforms will be worth quite a bit of money. I mean, while they were sold in large numbers back in the 90's, it's quite rare to come across one that still has it's original boxes and manual (let alone those that haven't been opened).

Boxed and manual copies of Goldeneye 64 are going for about $20 on eBay nowadays. Which isn't that impressive, I'll admit, but over the next few decades those prices are sure to go up.

I see my older self scouring eBay in some dimly lit room for boxed copies of my much loved Sega and Nintendo cartridge games, willing to pay good money for boxed version with that fresh game manual smell for a hit of nostalgia.

Your thoughts? Or am I just a nerdy fuck.

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature

Response to Video Games - Collectables? 2011-06-15 14:29:24

Any material can be collected as a hobby.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Video Games - Collectables? 2011-06-15 14:39:28

I still have every game that I've ever owned with the exception of some PS1 games that were sold a long time ago. I actually have a list of all the games in my collection here. I don't actively hunt down old consoles any more, but if I come across one at a good price and I have money to spare I will buy it.

Here's a picture of my collection in it's entirety taken about a month or so ago:

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Video Games - Collectables? 2011-06-15 14:39:51

At 6/15/11 02:29 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Any material can be collected as a hobby.

But can it be a valuable one is what I meant. Like the same way 10 year olds ripped into old G.I Joe action figures back in the 60's not knowing they'd be worth a great amount nowadays.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Games - Collectables? 2011-06-15 14:42:37

At 6/15/11 02:39 PM, Dean wrote: Here's a picture of my collection in it's entirety taken about a month or so ago:

It's... beautiful.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Games - Collectables? 2011-06-15 14:45:31

At 6/15/11 02:39 PM, Dean wrote: Here's a picture of my collection in it's entirety taken about a month or so ago:

It's... beautiful.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Games - Collectables? 2011-06-15 14:57:31

inb4 Dean and his monster co...

Too late.

Also that could have been cock or collection. You deserve.

Anyway, I dont know about collectables but all I know is that there are certain games I just will not sell no matter what. Even though I know that I'm not going to play them again, not unless I break a leg and can't afford new games or other forms of new entertainment.

Just today I sold some PS3 games and dvds (made £100 awesome), and I looked at my trusty PS2 line of games and thought straight away 'No, not selling'. I don't even know why. One of the games is Family Guy, which is terrible but I love the show so won't sell it. Another is Clock Tower 3, just because I loved Clock Tower 1 on the PS1. This is not logical thinking :(

I think we just get attached to the games because we almost seem to go through a journey with them.

Collecting them though to keep them mint and add value is as sad as people collecting figures AND NEVER TAKING THEM OUT THE FUCKING BOX.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Video Games - Collectables? 2011-06-15 15:12:18

At 6/15/11 02:57 PM, Gagsy wrote: Anyway, I dont know about collectables but all I know is that there are certain games I just will not sell no matter what. Even though I know that I'm not going to play them again, not unless I break a leg and can't afford new games or other forms of new entertainment.

Just today I sold some PS3 games and dvds (made £100 awesome), and I looked at my trusty PS2 line of games and thought straight away 'No, not selling'. I don't even know why. One of the games is Family Guy, which is terrible but I love the show so won't sell it. Another is Clock Tower 3, just because I loved Clock Tower 1 on the PS1. This is not logical thinking :(

I think we just get attached to the games because we almost seem to go through a journey with them.

We actually have fun with the console/games so they're kinda like our friends in material form.

Yea pretty much what I do. I was thinking about selling SH: Homecoming, my cousin has it right now, but eh I don't know I'm having second thoughts. Another reason I keep them is because if I ever have a friend who is curious about games I got some games they can try out.

If you're a HARDCORE FAN prepare to be always disappointed.

Response to Video Games - Collectables? 2011-06-15 16:14:27

For sure. Rarer games like Earthbound already go for fucking stupid money if they're new. Or even used, sometimes. I have unopened copies of FF7 and MGS1 because I ended up having two of each and for some reason just never opened them. They would probably be worth something decent now. I'd never buy a game with the intention of never playing it though, that's retarded.

Response to Video Games - Collectables? 2011-06-15 18:52:38

At 6/15/11 02:27 PM, Markface wrote: Boxed and manual copies of Goldeneye 64

That box art.

We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Games - Collectables? 2011-06-15 19:04:19

At 6/15/11 02:27 PM, Markface wrote: Let's face it, people will collect anything these days. But where do we see video games being brought into the mix? A standard platform release these days will look at making a good few hundred thousand sales as a minimum, but what about the older, more original games?

Old games are quite hard to come by, and people are starting to realize that many older games had good game design.

Much like how people start to nerd out on the romantic allure of vinyl records, I think over the coming decades some of the first forming gaming platforms will be worth quite a bit of money. I mean, while they were sold in large numbers back in the 90's, it's quite rare to come across one that still has it's original boxes and manual (let alone those that haven't been opened).

Boxes are not exactly convienent; sure they keep the disc and cartelages clean, but it's just easier to carry them in a 200 CD carring case.

Boxed and manual copies of Goldeneye 64 are going for about $20 on eBay nowadays. Which isn't that impressive, I'll admit, but over the next few decades those prices are sure to go up.

I see my older self scouring eBay in some dimly lit room for boxed copies of my much loved Sega and Nintendo cartridge games, willing to pay good money for boxed version with that fresh game manual smell for a hit of nostalgia.

Your thoughts? Or am I just a nerdy fuck.

Nostaliga pays quite a lot, just look at Mario. But the cartridge games do have a different smell to them than the newer ones.

Response to Video Games - Collectables? 2011-06-15 20:15:54

I still have many Sega Genesis games with the original boxes and manuals. I kinda take pride in having them instead of just the naked cartridge.

If I find a copy of a game I own, but don't own the box for, I'll buy the other copy of the game just to have the original box. So I suppose I can relate with you a bit.

Response to Video Games - Collectables? 2011-06-15 20:19:37

I never sell my games.

And never will, unless the price and demand for them is ridiculously high.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Games - Collectables? 2011-06-16 00:12:35

At 6/15/11 06:52 PM, Greenfrost6 wrote:
At 6/15/11 02:27 PM, Markface wrote: Boxed and manual copies of Goldeneye 64
That box art.

Motherfucker...