00:00
00:00

The Wii U and You

1,435 Views | 23 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Wii U and You 2011-06-10 17:50:08

Before I get started with this I just want to post a link to where I'm getting the bulk of my Nintendo Wii U information which is through GameTrailers, for those TL;DR people.

You know people E3 has just came and gone and the rumors about Nintendo's new console are true. However with it's release and what has been shown off you would think that all the gamers that had something to bitch about with the Nintendo Wii would have liked the Wii U for basically listening to them and trying to make them happy, but nope all I hear is more constant bitching.

Maybe it's because Nintendo apparently let them down by not pandering towards them. Well I can understand where they're coming from with that one. It seemed that Nintendo was putting their main focus on the "casual gamers" which consisted of the perky white soccer mom family. Well I've said in the past that it was a smart move because it brings in people who were alienated about video games into the gaming world.

With this advertising idea in hand the Wii became the No. 1 best selling console outselling the PlayStation 3 and the XBOX 360 not to mention that their Nintendo DS handhelds more than outsold the PSP handhelds. Does this mean that the Nintendo Wii is better than the PlayStation 3 or the XBOX 360? No not at all in fact if you ask me I'd say that the best console of those three is the PlayStation 3, but you know if it was one console that did dominate in terms of games and gamers then that would be the XBOX 360.

But let's look back at the Nintendo Wii. Why did "hardcore gamers" not like this? Well for one the new controller was weird and as a Nintendo fanboy I can agree with this, the motion controllers are weird, but only at first, by playing the pack in game Wii Sports you get the feel of the controller and what it can do, but that's just simplistic. Okay well then take a game like No More Heroes and MadWorld, gets a bit more complicated and fun.

Another complaint and this is one I completely agree with and that is not enough third party support. Third party developers did not get a real good opportunity to play around with the Nintendo Wii when Nintendo was working on it so they couldn't really develop games around it. Despite this though, there are good third party titles for the Nintendo Wii, No More Heroes, MadWorld, The Conduit, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Reflex, and Sonic Colors. However as you probably noticed all of those games but one was made by SEGA so not really branching out.

Why am I telling you the problems of the Nintendo Wii then? Well mainly because those are the main gripes from people who go against the Nintendo Wii and they are validated to an extent. Also keep in mind this, although you may not think that the Nintendo Wii is the best console out of the three, numbers don't lie, Nintendo made the most money and in the business world MONEY ALWAYS MATTERS. That's why you see the PlayStation Move which is a blatant copy of the Nintendo Wii, and even though Microsoft's Kinect tried to do something different by taking out the controller it just doesn't work out well. Changing the controller already pissed off the "hardcore gamers" and now Kinect takes away their controllers, the fuck Microsoft?

Anyways, The Wii U. First thing I saw from those are people making fun of the name. Alright silly name and of course we're all going to have fun making fun of this name sure, but it's just a name if the name is one of your reasons for not buying the console then we have a problem. Remember kids never judge a book by it's cover...

Disregard that -- this is Newgrounds. Everybody judges the book by the cover because they can't be half-assed enough to read a book because it's TL;DR see even they can't completely write out Too Long Didn't Read.

Next is the controller which is causing a lot of confusing and for right reason, because people don't like to go find out about something. You know if I'm gonna be a bitch and rant about something, I at least want to know what the fuck I'm talking about first. People are judging this controller merely on how it looks, they haven't picked it up, they haven't played a game with it yet, just on how it looks. That is somewhat of a fair argument you have to see it first before you play it, and on first glance I personally thought it looked pretty cool. Believe me pictures don't do that controller much justice either try looking at it through a video.

Some people wondered if the controller was the console and I thought that to, but it's not. The console itself looks like nothing more than a slimmed down Nintendo Wii. The main focus is on the controller. Another thing people were wondering is "will you be able to buy another controller with touch screen." So far the answer is no, but Nintendo may change their minds. Other players will be able to join in the game with their Nintendo Wii Remotes. I like this because it saves me from having to go out and get many different controllers just to play games with my friends. I already have some Wii Remotes so I'm set. I can understand why others may want the option first hand though.

There is a bit of bad news though. The Wii U will only be backwards compatible with the Nintendo Wii games, no Gamecube games.

Last one was the third party developer support. Before the Wii U even hit E3, third party developers were given a chance to play the Wii U, so games for the Wii U have been in development for quite sometime and the with Wii U's release being between April 2012 to December 2012 I'm not doubting that there will be other games developed or being continued development within that time.

Sure you'll have your basic first party titles for the Nintendo Wii like a new Super Smash Bros., The Legend of Zelda, and a new Luigi's Mansion sure. Third party titles include Darksiders II, a new Assassin's Creed, a new Battlefield, Aliens: Colonial Marines, a new Tekken, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online, Metro Last Light, Ninja Gaiden 3, and Batman: Arkham City. So yeah the third party support is definitely there.

Overall the Nintendo Wii U will no doubt revolutionize gaming once again. Nintendo has listened to the gaming world and now they not only have the money from their Nintendo Wii sales, but they have the support from the "casual gamers" and the "hardcore gamers" to pull off something spectacular.

Questions of the Day
1. What do you think of the Nintendo Wii?
2. What do you think of the Nintendo Wii U?
3. Who do you think had the best show at E3 and why?
4. Why is a raven like a writing desk?

Response to The Wii U and You 2011-06-10 18:12:13

At 6/10/11 05:50 PM, The-Great-One wrote: 1. What do you think of the Nintendo Wii?

I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but it's one of my favorite platforms. If anything else, it's for the Virtual Console and WiiWare games. I really enjoyed most of the titles on the Wii and, compared to the GameCube, its first party excelled in terms of fun and creativity. I know there's a lot of shovelware on it, but that comes with the Wii being so cheap to work on compared to the HD platforms.

I really don't know yet. Yeah the name is stupid and I think it sounds like Elmer Fudd saying "Ryu." The controller is rather odd yet I've heard it's more comfortable than it looks. I think it's a neat idea, but could end up a useless and hated gimmick like the Wii's controller. Plus it is a major improvement over the Wii as far as technology and third-party support. Nintendo didn't really show it off that much at their E3 press conference, which disappointed me. You'd think they would've put more effort into showing it off on the stage.

I think they were all equally boring and tied. Microsoft's was a snore-fest with Kinect, but that gun customization thing was really cool IMO. Sony's didn't interest me whatsoever and the announcement of Vita was really lackluster. And I've already stated about Nintendo above.

Because Lewis Carroll says it is.

Response to The Wii U and You 2011-06-10 18:52:29

Questions of the Day

I love the Wii, people who hate on it never played any good games for it or are just plain old don't like it. While it does have many faults.

- Large Number of Abysmal games.
- Worst Graphics of the generation.
- Insanely low internal Memory.
- Terrible online support.

I'm not gonna lie on paper it sucks but that hasn't stopped me from being in love with the thing. I've spent a good portion of my time playing Mario Kart and have all the Mario Games, And come on, A Boy and his Blob is an Excellent game. Also MadWorld is fun. You got the Vitual Console on Wii so I got Super Metriod, Super Ghouls and Ghosts, Super Mario Bros 3, Major's Mask. I'm Happy with it.

Obviously I only own a Wii but It not because I don't want anything else But because I can't afford anything else. If I do get anything else it seems the Wii will still be on top for me simply because I have so many more games for it this late in the game.

I think It's a brilliant Idea. Not a fan of the controllers size but then Again I've never actually held the thing in my hand so I can't really say. I was really quite if when I first heard the rumors about the remote but after seeing in action at E3 It look like a great Idea. While not every game while benefit from such a controller it's an Interesting Idea and I'm sure developers are equally excited about the idea. People are saying "It's gonna fail!" and "Nintendo's gonna be the Next Sega!" But that doesn't seem likely. First of so what if the controller is big and clunky does that mean it's bad, that's it's incapable of doing what they promised, absolutely not. Obviously,from the demos and junk you can see the thing works and does what it's suppose to do. And anyone looking for a more traditional controller the Classic Controller will still work so problem solved. Anyone one worried about Gimmicky games needs to relax.

The reason for the state the Wii is in now is very obvious.

1. Developing games for the Wii is Cheap and profitable.
2. Big Name developers prefer the more robust consoles not because of the controllers but because it's not worth making a game when people will pick between the Xbox/PS3 version and Wii version simply because the graphics are better. Graphics don't mean everything but when giving a choice between good graphics and better graphics which one will you pick.
3. If the choice to develop a game for both Wii and Xbox/PS3 is made majors steps will have to be taken to, in a way, downgrade the game for the weaker system and it may be to costly to hire two different to work on both version of the game.
4. Developers want to work with the best hardware possible. Which would you rather play with, a four door sedan or a MONSTER TRUCK!

The Improved hardware will level the playing field and possibly even shift it in Nintendo's favor.
More Creative Minds will work on the system, meaning more games that can use the hardware in unique and interesting ways. And If not I'm sure they'll build game around the Classic Controller instead.

Nintendo. Why... A live orchestra. :D

Because some they're both black.

Yeah I like Nintendo and What.

Response to The Wii U and You 2011-06-10 18:59:13

Questions of the Day

It can be fun, but I would never want it as my primary console. We have one in our house but it's actually my sisters so the game selection she has isn't great. Still, being able to play Mario Kart with the motion sensing is quite cool but I still prefer the actual steering wheel accessories that were popular in the PS1/PS2 days.

I think it is definitely an improvement on the Wii and it does look like it has a few good titles coming this time around. I'm not a fan of these gimmicky controllers though. What's wrong with the regular style of controller that we've been using for the past few decades?

Out of Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo I only watched Nintendo because I wanted to see their new console. I didn't bother with Microsoft because I knew they would be far too focused on Kinnect which is something I don't care about. And as I sold my PS3 I felt no reason to watch Sony's, although I did flick on to it briefly.

Excuse me?

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U and You 2011-06-10 19:06:12

At 6/10/11 05:50 PM, The-Great-One wrote: 1. What do you think of the Nintendo Wii?

It's pretty fun. A lot of people don't like it as much as I do but it still sold more than the PS3 and 360 combined so you know.

It's also pretty fun. I didn't think Nintendo could up the Wii but they sure did. Good for them.

Nintendo for sure. They had 2 upcoming Zelda titles, 2 upcoming Kirby titles, and a new system.

They both have Quills

We done here?

Response to The Wii U and You 2011-06-10 19:12:33

At 6/10/11 05:50 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Well I've said in the past that it was a smart move because it brings in people who were alienated about video games into the gaming world.

Agreed, but I think they're pushing their luck a little. I definitely believe that there's value for gaming's growth as a medium in bringing all these new people into the fold (let alone the obvious commercial value), but there's no need to do so at the exclusion of the core fanbase, especially for a company like Nintendo which specializes in games that transcend "casual"/"hardcore" distinctions. To me it just seems like a no-brainer that Nintendo is totally dropping the ball on, especially when you consider that all those new casual fans have no real attachment to the company and could leave to go chase the next fad at any moment.

Okay well then take a game like No More Heroes and MadWorld, gets a bit more complicated and fun.

It wasn't the motion controls that were made more complicated and fun, it was the games being built around them.

Last one was the third party developer support. Before the Wii U even hit E3, third party developers were given a chance to play the Wii U, so games for the Wii U have been in development for quite sometime and the with Wii U's release being between April 2012 to December 2012 I'm not doubting that there will be other games developed or being continued development within that time.

They did the same song and dance for the Wii, and look how that turned out. Hell, they did it for GameCube, too. Nintendo is always going to have a problem with third party support. Accept it or complain about it, but don't pretend it's going away. If they work it out this time around, that'll be a pleasant surprise, but for now I'm going to remain skeptical.

Overall the Nintendo Wii U will no doubt revolutionize gaming once again.

Again? Motion controls so far have been a devolution, if anything. Instead of immersing you deeper into the experience, they only serve to never let you forget that you're playing a video game at best, and endlessly frustrate you at worst (since they almost never work quite like they're supposed to). I have yet to play a single game where motion controls greatly enhanced the experience.

As much as I love Nintendo, they haven't revolutionized gaming since 1996. Don't confuse technological gimmickry for real innovation (on a tangentially related note, fuck 3-D movies).

Questions of the Day

I have one, but I almost never use it except for the big first-party releases. Right now it's just collecting dust until Skyward Sword comes out, unless I finally get around to downloading Majora's Mask this summer. When it comes to the games, Nintendo continued to deliver as always, but with the console itself, I'm underwhelmed.

I think it looks pretty stupid, but I have no choice if I want to play the next generation of Mario and Zelda games so I'll probably be getting one eventually. Nintendo finally catching up with HD is nice, I guess, and the whole moving the game onto the tablet controller while someone else watches TV is a cool feature. And that little HD Zelda tech demo video gave me a serious pants-tent. But other than that, meh.

I think they all sucked, but Nintendo sucked slightly less than the other two. I dunno, call me old-fashioned, but it's supposed to be about the games, maaaan. That's all I care about, and all three console manufacturers have for the most part let me down. I just wanted to some new information on a couple things I'm looking forward to, and a few interesting surprise announcements (no, Halo 4 does not count as a surprise), and they couldn't even manage that.

But to end on a more positive note, even if the near future's offerings are pretty slim, this summer is turning out to be awesome. Portal 2 blew me away, L.A. Noire is pretty good, and this year's Summer of Arcade is looking to be the best one yet (Bastion, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, and especially From Dust all look great).

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U and You 2011-06-10 19:16:57

I do not like it very much.

I think it looks interesting, but nothing makes me want to run out and get it, especially considering the disappoint that was the Wii. I'm mostly upset with the new console because I wanted a traditional controller console from Nintendo that didn't have a stupid name so I could play the Nintendo exclusives and enjoy them.

I didn't get to see enough of them to decide. I'll say EA.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U and You 2011-06-10 22:11:07

At 6/10/11 07:12 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: They did the same song and dance for the Wii, and look how that turned out. Hell, they did it for GameCube, too. Nintendo is always going to have a problem with third party support. Accept it or complain about it, but don't pretend it's going away. If they work it out this time around, that'll be a pleasant surprise, but for now I'm going to remain skeptical.

Darksiders II is not only going to be on the Wii U it has been announced as a launch title for it. Batman: Arkham City is also said to be appearing on the Wii. The only one that's in skepticism right now is Bioshock Infinite, but I doubt we'll be seeing it on the Wii U, seeing as how the owners of the other Bioshock games are PS3 and XBOX 360 owners.

Response to The Wii U and You 2011-06-11 00:24:23

At 6/10/11 05:50 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Questions of the Day

At best, it's a secondary console with a lot of crappy 3rd party games, horrible online play, and having an underpowered system. This system had some potential and a lot of units were sold, but IMO failed to cash in on that potential.

I'm 50-50 on it, part of me wants to see if they can make massive upgrades to the previous generation with new technology and all, but another part of me says it probably won't matter if their library is going to be shovelware, with an occasional gem or 2 in there.

I didn't really think anyone had a good showing, but if I had to pick one, I guess I would have to go with Nintendo on this one, partly because they did offer a new console, compared to Microsoft, which largely consisted of Kinect games, and another Halo game to boot.

What does that have to do with anything?

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U and You 2011-06-11 10:47:30

At 6/11/11 12:24 AM, orangebomb wrote: I'm 50-50 on it, part of me wants to see if they can make massive upgrades to the previous generation with new technology and all, but another part of me says it probably won't matter if their library is going to be shovelware, with an occasional gem or 2 in there.

I doubt we're gonna get a lot of shovelware this time around. Developers are impressed with what they're seeing. The Wii U is getting Batman: Arkham City! However yes there will be some shovelware, but hopefully not as much.

Also for those asking about the last question, I always choose something random for the last question for shits and giggles.

Response to The Wii U and You 2011-06-11 12:56:17

tl;dr

it's just a new console bro

Response to The Wii U and You 2011-06-11 13:36:21

At 6/10/11 05:50 PM, The-Great-One wrote: but they have the support from the "casual gamers" and the "hardcore gamers" to pull off something spectacular.

I don't think so. The Wii actually did have the support of casual and hardcore gamers at launch. Coming out of E3 2006, Nintendo rocked it. The initial push for the Wii began with the hardcore and trickled down to the mainstream. In the coming years, the hardcore's love affair with Nintendo would certainly diminish, but it was already a phenomenon by then. As it stands currently, I don't think the WiiU has the support of either. I, and I think many others, were incredibly disappointed by what the WiiU is.

The Wii was able to be successful for two important reasons that the WiiU will not have the advantage of. For one, motion control completely differentiated it from the competition. The other, of course, was the fact that it was launching at a significantly lower price. The standard controller with a DS screen on the front is far less differentiating and interesting than the Wii remote. They're also going to have to launch at least at $300. Nintendo is no longer going to be different enough. With the 360 and PS3 successor's going to launch within 1-2 years of the WiiU, I can't imagine wanting to buy a soon-outdated system again. It's a case of fool me once, fool me twice for Nintendo. I'll be incredibly surprised if the WiiU doesn't flop unless something dramatic changes.

PS3 ID: Jerkapotamus

Sig by Akula

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U and You 2011-06-11 18:58:57

At 6/11/11 01:36 PM, Jerkapotamus wrote: It's a case of fool me once, fool me twice for Nintendo. I'll be incredibly surprised if the WiiU doesn't flop unless something dramatic changes.

Ah you sense that Nintendo will take the same route that SEGA did with the SEGA Saturn and the SEGA Dreamcast. Well I of course doubt that and as for the other new consoles I really don't see the PlayStation 3 going anywhere anytime soon, Sony is known for getting all the life they can out of their consoles. As for Microsoft, don't know what they're next move is gonna be.

Response to The Wii U and You 2011-06-11 19:15:44

It's gay

It's gay

It was all gay

They're both gay

Problem, Nintendrones?

Gay

Response to The Wii U and You 2011-06-11 23:30:10

At 6/11/11 10:47 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 6/11/11 12:24 AM, orangebomb wrote: I'm 50-50 on it, part of me wants to see if they can make massive upgrades to the previous generation with new technology and all, but another part of me says it probably won't matter if their library is going to be shovelware, with an occasional gem or 2 in there.
I doubt we're gonna get a lot of shovelware this time around. Developers are impressed with what they're seeing. The Wii U is getting Batman: Arkham City! However yes there will be some shovelware, but hopefully not as much.

I'm hoping that you are right, because I don't think that Nintendo wants to repeat the same mistake they did with the Wii, even if they aren't going to admit that. If some 3rd party developers can make some AAA games that aren't ports of 360/PS3 games for the Wii U, then I can give Nintendo some respect.

Also for those asking about the last question, I always choose something random for the last question for shits and giggles.

Fair enough.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U and You 2011-06-11 23:59:00

At 6/10/11 05:50 PM, The-Great-One wrote:

Questions of the Day

Let me put it to ya this way, the only reason it's in my house is cause of Super Smash Bros Brawl and Sonic Colors. I'm not a fan of any nintendo franchises besides Metroid. I played MP 3 corruption but I got it in 2008 and it took 2 more years for me to play it and it was forced to me when a friend gave me brawl and metroid. Glad I didn't sell it to gamestop.

But yeah overall the Wii SUCKS glad it's next gen console has 3rd party support.

I'm not so confident in it control wise. And whats up with sacrificing backward compatiability these days. I never thought thw Wii U would do this. Why not allow us to continue to play gamecube games without having to keep a Wii eh? thats kinda poor service even if they add 3rd party game experience on a 360 level.

Microsoft Halo owns everything, sorry, (not really) but yeah I'm one of those fan boys.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U and You 2011-06-13 15:33:06

At 6/10/11 05:50 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Questions of the Day

I loved the WII and still do, but I feel that after WII Music they constantly have been focusg on cheap casual games (although I am excited for Skyward Sword) I liked it before the ordeal of the constant Casual wave but I am still going to give it another chance.

I think its interesting but I am a bit concerned, I think its great that you will have the ability to switch from tv to the controller because If someone wanted to watch a sports game (and because our biggest TV in the house is where all the consoles are) then I can play my games on the controller.

Nintendo, because they had more games to deliver and their orchestra was pretty cool (although I was disapointed that they didnt realy do mch with skyward sword, although they did really well with he Demo of it) It was a bit of a dissapointing E3 for everyone I think.

Because a man by the name of Edgar Allen Poe was so drunk that when he made sweet love to his writing desk, bessie, she wound up giving birth to The Raven.

mindfuck anyone?

What were you expecting?

Response to The Wii U and You 2011-06-14 14:08:17

The console sounds like a fire truck.

Wii-u, wii-u, wii-u...

I find that a bit hard to take seriously.

Response to The Wii U and You 2011-06-23 07:53:52

At 6/11/11 11:59 PM, roderickii wrote: I'm not so confident in it control wise. And whats up with sacrificing backward compatiability these days. I never thought thw Wii U would do this. Why not allow us to continue to play gamecube games without having to keep a Wii eh? thats kinda poor service even if they add 3rd party game experience on a 360 level.

I always thought the new technology caused errors in some backwards compatibility. Hence why at first with sony and microsoft only a selected number of games were compatible. Then sony got rid of it all together, I dunno why, i think it's so you'd have to buy it again from the store or something like that. Nintendo had full backwards compatibility because the wii wasn't too advanced in it's power. It had motion controls and a UI and all of that, but the games themselves weren't dealing with incredibly powerful specs, so GC games could fit right in, all of em. I guess now the WiiU stepped it's game up with graphics and GC games weren't able to run in it.
Again i dunno, or maybe they'll make you buy GC games from the store like sony and microsoft.

The guy below me is gay

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U and You 2011-06-23 23:34:44

Wii U, Wii Mii. Wii it together, naturally.

And I would buy it.

I still like Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven!

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U and You 2011-06-25 03:56:27

Wii U also has 1080p graphics. Now people who give a shit about graphics can't say shit.

Response to The Wii U and You 2012-07-16 13:48:11

At 6/25/11 03:56 AM, DeadEyeRanger wrote: Wii U also has 1080p graphics. Now people who give a shit about graphics can't say shit.

So, it will render at 1080p or will it render at 720p and upscale?

BBS Signature

Response to The Wii U and You 2012-07-16 17:41:23

At 6/10/11 05:50 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
Questions of the Day

I think its pretty neat what with its motion controls, and being one of the first to do so.

Seems to just add on to what the Wii already had, by adding in a controller with a screen on it. Dont get me wrong, I think its pretty cool, im just saying

Nintendo, because they released information about much waited for games and was the first to announce their next gen console's release.

Quoth the raven, "Nevermore"

Response to The Wii U and You 2012-07-16 18:02:54

At 7/16/12 01:48 PM, ZeldaFan64DS wrote: So, it will render at 1080p or will it render at 720p and upscale?

Well, the 360/PS3 version of GTA IV had to upscale, so I'm guessing Wii U will be graphically superior than 360 or PS3. So I'm guessing it will have native 1080p support.

Besides, the original Wii is graphically superior than the original Xbox, despite having no HD output.