00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ngadm 2011 Auditions!

31,899 Views | 440 Replies

Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 09:45:58

Hello there! Welcome to the very first thread of the Newgrounds Audio Deathmatch 2011 (NGADM 2011). Read the entirety of this post to avoid making a fool of yourself.

What's a Newgrounds Audio Deathmatch?
It's on Newgrounds, you post audio, and... well, it's not exactly a deathmatch. This is an annual audio competition run by Echo and I. It's also run by me too.

Basically, this is a knockout competition (example). To put it simply, you start off with 32 competitors, and by a process of knocking out the losers, we reach one final winner. Each competitor is randomly assigned another competitor throughout the course of 5 rounds, and in each round half emerge victorious and move on to the next.

Sounds fun. So what's going to happen?
To take part, simply post in this thread your best song. It may be an old song, or maybe a song you finished a few days ago. Remember to post only one song - if you change your mind about your best song, then just post again in this thread saying clearly you've changed your mind.

Since the competition needs 32 competitors only, once we've reached a deadline, a team of judges will carefully and somewhat professionally listen to each submission posted here and together we'll come up with the top 32 of all of these submissions. This determines the 32 artists who will be taking part in the knockout competition. Basically, it's the same system as last year. Audition in this thread, 32 artists are chosen.

Deadlines plz.
You guys have till 27th July 2011 to post your entries, giving you around a month and a half to think about it. On 1st August 2011, the competition starts.

Details plz.
Once the auditions are over and the top 32 are chosen, the competition instantly starts. These 32 lucky bastards will be randomly paired up, and have 2 weeks to make a song which they will be pitting against the opponent they're paired up with. After these 2 weeks, the judges review each submission and determine 16 winners, who will move on to the next round, and the process repeats until there's one winner.

Every round will have a separate thread for it with the reviews of the judges, and all competitors will be kept up to date with what's going on, via PMing, courtesy of Echo.

Basically:
Round 1 -- 2 weeks
Judging -- 5 days
Round 2 -- 2 weeks
Judging -- 4 days
Round 3 -- 2 weeks
Judging -- 3 days
Round 4 -- 2 weeks
Judging -- 2 days
Round 5 -- 2 weeks
Judging -- 1 day

85 days in all.

Rules plz.
With pleasure.
-
1.) If you're one of the 32 competitors, every song you post must be made from scratch in the 2 week period that you're given per round. This rule doesn't count for auditions - you may post whatever song you want from whatever date in this thread to audition, as long as it's yours, but when the actual competition starts, you've got to pump out a song for all of the rounds that you survive in.
-
2.) Remixes, covers and collaborations are not allowed. Everything you make must be 100% your own work, but the use of singers or voice actors is allowed.
-
3.) Any genre which can be counted as music is allowed, and our judges will be as unbiased as possible. Remember, this competition is entirely dedicated to music, so voice acting, experimental noise, sound effects, and anything of the sort which can't be considered music is strictly prohibited. Acapella tracks do not fall under voice acting and are allowed.
-
4.) If there's something you don't agree with, something you want to complain about or a flame war you want to start, leave it for PM's. If you have any suggestions for this NGADM and future NGADM's, post in the suggestions thread I'll link to shortly.
-
5.) IMPORTANT: While pretty much everyone had fun in previous NGADM's, this contest is tough. You're expected to produce one whole song every 2 weeks until you're knocked out, and that's up to 5 songs in the course of three months. If you don't think you can keep up with this pace, or if you don't have time/have a busy schedule, then don't join. We love seeing new faces join the competition, and old faces returning for a rematch, but inactive competitors really make everything messy and hard to handle.
-
6.) Because the competition is so gigantic, there'll be separate threads. You may discuss stuff and joke around in these threads, but try and keep it NGADM-related. To put it in an example, you may talk about how your cat bit your ass to suddenly give you inspiration to make the most amazing contest submission ever, but you can't talk about your cat and you certainly can't talk about your ass.
-
7.) All Audio Portal rules apply (read this to learn more about what's good and what's not). Failure to comply with said rules will result in a disqualification and possibly even an audio ban. And yes, BBS rules apply too.
-
8.) Posting contest submissions which are uploaded to a site other than Newgrounds is prohibited.
-
9.) Lastly, have fun. There are prizes, and this competition may also be supported officially by NG (but we're still looking into this), but it's still a friendly competition to get the community together and have some competitive fun. If you lost, don't be a sore loser. If you don't agree about something, discuss it maturely via PMing. Like we always say, do NOT take the word 'deathmatch' literally.

What about the judges?
So far, I am the only judge. We're looking for 5 other judges, so PM me if you're interested and I'll fill you in with the details.

Prizes or GTFO >:C
Like every year, we will have prizes. Here are the prizes determined so far:

1st place:
1.) The option of a frontpage of one of your songs of your choice.
2.) A 1st place NGADM '11 forum signature.

2nd place:
1.) A 2nd place NGADM '11 forum signature.
2.) A high-five.

3rd place:
1.) A 3rd place NGADM '11 forum signature.
2.) A nod of approval.

4th place:
1.) Honourable mention.
2.) A wink.

We may be getting official NG support which might come in the form of store credit, but this has not been ascertained yet.

Any last words?
Yup. Remember that so far the contest hasn't started. These are just auditions, so nothing's official yet (in fact we haven't assembled a team of judges yet, and haven't asked Tom about official NG support yet either). This means we're open to suggestions, and the stuff above may be altered slightly. We'll be reposting all the updated rules, procedures and lame jokes in the NG Audio Deathmatch thread when the contest starts on 1st August, so no need to worry.

So, you interested? If so, like I said, simply post a link to your best submission in this thread before 27th July and you're all set. Now let the auditions begin!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 09:48:31

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 09:55:56

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 09:59:44

At 6/10/11 09:55 AM, SBB wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/3 85533

Well that was bloody quick :O

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 10:10:21

Do we have to post something that's on newgrounds? :\

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 10:13:00

At 6/10/11 10:10 AM, midimachine wrote: Do we have to post something that's on newgrounds? :\

As an audition yes, or you could make something new, post it on newgrounds and then link us to it. Your choice. Be warned however, for the main rounds, you have to create something completely new ;)

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 10:22:50

Finnally, it was a long wait, but it's started ;D

I wish everyone the best of luck.

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 10:27:11

At 6/10/11 10:10 AM, midimachine wrote: Do we have to post something that's on newgrounds? :\

But if you're asking whether it has to be on Newgrounds or if it can be on another site, I'm afraid this is strictly a Newgrounds competition. If your best songs are on a site which doesn't allow free music download and you don't want to submit them to NG (which does allow free download), then maybe we can make an exception, but only if it's for a good reason. Having submissions from loads of different sites is a bit messy, as you can imagine.

We'll only make this exception for auditions though. For the main competition, however, everything round's entry must be in the form of a Newgrounds submission.

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 10:29:17

Finally decided on a piece to submit. I wanted something dynamic and evolving. I usually don't make it far in the ngadm, but I will try harder this year :D

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 10:31:40

At 6/10/11 10:27 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: We'll only make this exception for auditions though. For the main competition, however, everything round's entry must be in the form of a Newgrounds submission.

Of course! I ended up uploading an out-take from that album anyway.

i'd like to stress that i don't think that this song is my "best song" cause to me I'm always making my best song. I mean I don't think anybody here is actually going to post the absolute peak of their music making abilities because I don't think anyone here has truly reached them yet. This song fucking KICKS ASS anyway!

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 10:53:42

O hai!

Guess I'll just drop this here, then?

Thanks for the PM, Echo!

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 11:02:06

After reading Echo's hilarious PM, I'll give it a shot. So here's (imo) my best track. I may not be as good as the ''big guys'' around here, but it'll be a good opportunity to test my ''mad skillz yo.''

Anyways, here it is:

New tune: Yag

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 11:36:58

Since my electro productions are pretty nondescript and banal, I guess I could make an attempt at joining this contest by submitting some different; a live song.

Oh well. Let's see how far this can go compared to the total fucking geniuses who are participating in this.

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 11:41:45

Signing up for the NGAD !

This is my track for the auditions.

DubAudio

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 11:55:49

Brand new track for the auditions!
Also, first time partecipating. Don't be too rough, haha ^^

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 11:59:32

Oh man, it's already that time again? Sure enough I'm in a current writers block.. no matter what I'll give it a go.

That's probably my best track as of late.

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 12:20:10

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 12:38:55

I can make a computer go bleep bloop blop pretty well.

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 12:42:20

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 13:21:26

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 13:31:58

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 14:24:17

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 14:25:46

Check me out on: Soundcloud l Twitter | Facebook

Newest song: GHOSTS

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 14:34:15

Interior crocodile alligator, I drive a Chevrolet movie theatre.

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 14:37:26

If you have small speakers / earbuds, don't bother. You need the subs for this one ;]

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 14:50:17

YESSS!!! IT IS BACK XD
Seeing some epic names already :D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14342761/Percept ion%20-%20Simon%20Cameron.mp3

Sorry it's not on newgrounds. or atleast it is but not properly mastered.

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 15:56:25

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 15:58:41

listen to this:

while you read about this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-enviro nment-13715764

just trust me

Ngadm 2011 Auditions!

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 16:26:56

Response to Ngadm 2011 Auditions! 2011-06-10 16:41:32