00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

9014793814 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Duke Demo Opinions?

1,621 Views | 27 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-09 20:07:30

In my opinion, the Duke Demo plays like a Halo Reach clone with a Duke Nukem setting!

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-09 20:26:58

Halo sucks, Duke would kill Masterchief with both his hands behind his back.

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-09 20:31:35

Well to all the people complaining, it was proven that the demo was an old PAX demo from months ago.

Also, I loved the demo.

BBS Signature

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-09 20:45:08

BBS Signature

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-09 20:53:51

I've not played it myself yet, but I watched a playthrough on youtube, and I wasn't impressed.

Standard current gen FPS shite with Duke quotes thrown in, most of which aren't even funny.

Ah well, there's always Serious Sam 3.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-09 21:02:19

I'm still curious to see how the shit throwing gameplay will work within the confines of the final version of this title.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-09 21:43:30

At 6/9/11 08:53 PM, TheMaster wrote: Ah well, there's always Serious Sam 3.

ewwwww

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-09 21:46:32

I was not very impressed. I liked how it still felt like a Duke Nukem game but I didn't like the way he moved and the controls. They were very sluggish and unresponsive. I think I'll skip this or maybe just rent it.

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-09 22:06:06

At 6/9/11 08:31 PM, SloppyMoe606 wrote: Well to all the people complaining, it was proven that the demo was an old PAX demo from months ago.

Also, I loved the demo.

If this is actually true than I'm a a little relieved. The demo was a bit underwhelming but I still enjoyed it. I'm fairly certain the full game will be great. Main issues for me with the demo:

-No variation at all in Duke's jumping sound. Get's annoying really quick.
-Somewhat awkward weapon feel.
-Only two weapon slots...it just feels wrong in a Duke game.

Getting the Balls Of Steel Edition. Only because I was able to pick it up for the price of the normal game from Amazon, when they put it up though. They didn't have the right price when they added it and I was lucky enough to pre-order it, before it was changed to the higher price. XD
Freaking awesome. :D

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-10 08:52:24

I have played nearly 3 hours now and I must say: THE GAME IS FUCKING AWESOME!
So far a 8.5 out of 10, yes it has issues but my god it is entertaining!

Just checked out some of the multiplayer maps and the Capture The Babe mode in private matches with my brother and it was superfun already. Will be great oldschool fun online!

Oh, in case you didn't know: Duke was released internationally today. America will have to wait 4 days more, kinda stupid, dunno why they do that but oh well.

Have fun with the game when you get it! It has exceeded my (to be fair rather low) expectations by miles. I didn't hype it much personally, I just thought it would be a solid shooter but damn it is a hilarious and well crafted game.

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-10 09:14:01

vaifan, i preordered the balls of steel version as well. how has it noticeably improved since the demo? i thought that this should be in the official thread (as there already is a discussion about the demo there) but you're the first person i'm talking to who actually has it.

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-10 10:10:06

Eh, it was alright, a bit underwhelming though and the boss fight was way too easy. They really got the Duke feel in some places, but other places... meh.

Cheating? I like to call it strategic opportunity.

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-10 10:27:32

At 6/10/11 10:10 AM, Ragenaric wrote: Eh, it was alright, a bit underwhelming though and the boss fight was way too easy. They really got the Duke feel in some places, but other places... meh.

the boss fight was easy because it's literally the first thing that happens in the game. why would they make it hard?

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-10 10:57:57

There is a significant lack of Grabbag.

BBS Signature

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-10 11:58:35

Played the full game until the end of The Duke Bowl: Part 1.

Not impressed. It's a mediocre current gen shooter with some Duke quotes thrown in. Doesn't play like a Duke game at all.

BBS Signature

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-10 13:25:37

At 6/10/11 11:58 AM, TheMaster wrote: Played the full game until the end of The Duke Bowl: Part 1.

Not impressed. It's a mediocre current gen shooter with some Duke quotes thrown in. Doesn't play like a Duke game at all.

then go play serious sam

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-10 14:38:50

At 6/10/11 01:25 PM, GiantDouche wrote: then go play serious sam

But I've already played Serious Sam.

Played a bit more of it, until the end of Part 2 of the Duke Burger thing.

The fucking platform sequences are the worst. Piss easy and impossibly boring, and they go on for like 5-10 minutes.

Just going to hammer through to the end now. Hopefully there's some more good parts later.

BBS Signature

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-10 14:40:47

At 6/10/11 02:38 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 6/10/11 01:25 PM, GiantDouche wrote: then go play serious sam
But I've already played Serious Sam.

Played a bit more of it, until the end of Part 2 of the Duke Burger thing.

The fucking platform sequences are the worst. Piss easy and impossibly boring, and they go on for like 5-10 minutes.

Just going to hammer through to the end now. Hopefully there's some more good parts later.

Do they even have a release date for Serious Sam 3? Hopefully it's more like The first and second encounter. Serious Sam 2 sucked.

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-10 14:46:44

At 6/10/11 02:40 PM, ian4678 wrote: Do they even have a release date for Serious Sam 3? Hopefully it's more like The first and second encounter. Serious Sam 2 sucked.

Not yet, but the videos and screenshots look just like First and Second Encounter. Can't fucking wait for it.

BBS Signature

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-10 14:53:47

At 6/10/11 02:46 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 6/10/11 02:40 PM, ian4678 wrote: Do they even have a release date for Serious Sam 3? Hopefully it's more like The first and second encounter. Serious Sam 2 sucked.
Not yet, but the videos and screenshots look just like First and Second Encounter. Can't fucking wait for it.

Sweet I can't wait. I remember watching my cousin play the originals when they came out. And then I bought the HD remake.

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-10 15:42:23

At 6/9/11 08:31 PM, SloppyMoe606 wrote: it was proven that the demo was an old PAX demo from months ago.

Because clearly if you're going to release a demo it will be completely fucking different from the actual game. Stop bullshitting yourselves.

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-11 03:01:51

Duke Nukem Forever the game fucking sucks. Just played it for like 3-4 hours of it and when I beat it I doubt I play it ever again.

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-11 17:35:32

Know what's a real shame?

The final boss is genuinely good. Piss easy, but exactly how a Duke game should play. Circle strafing all over the place, screen FULL of enemies, it was great. Well, until you get to the third form and the game just drops you in a Devastator and an infinite ammo crate which makes the whole thing insultingly easy, anyway.

BBS Signature

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-11 17:49:48

At 6/10/11 09:14 AM, GiantDouche wrote: vaifan, i preordered the balls of steel version as well. how has it noticeably improved since the demo? i thought that this should be in the official thread (as there already is a discussion about the demo there) but you're the first person i'm talking to who actually has it.

The game feels less clunky than the demo, it's overall smoother. One thing that supports the demo being an old build is, that the 2nd demo level is designed a bit differently in the full game. They changed some paths a bit and stuff.

But yeah, in my opinion the game is great and I think it is underrated by those people who have already reviewed it. Two top German review sites gave it a 68 and a 70, that's bullshit. They said a whole lot of positive stuff in their texts/videos but then the final scores differed greatly from what you would've assumed they'd rate it.

Regarding the Balls Of Steel Edition: the bust and the cards are a little smaller than they appeared to be on various pictures but the overall quality of the content in the box is great!

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-11 17:55:50

At 6/11/11 05:49 PM, vaifan90 wrote: Regarding the Balls Of Steel Edition: the bust and the cards are a little smaller than they appeared to be on various pictures but the overall quality of the content in the box is great!

The stuff in the Balls of Steel Edition is actually really nice. Bust has some weight to it, isn't just horrible cheap plastic or anything.

Game is still shit though.

BBS Signature

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-11 21:18:51

At 6/11/11 05:55 PM, TheMaster wrote: Game is still shit though.

Yes, you've already established that, no need to smear it in our faces over and over again.

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-11 23:10:42

it's a reskinned call of duty game.

Response to Duke Demo Opinions? 2011-06-12 07:21:06

At 6/11/11 11:10 PM, Death wrote: it's a reskinned call of duty game.