00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

444rgh just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dungeons and Dragons.

2,107 Views | 32 Replies

Response to Dungeons and Dragons. 2011-05-19 22:09:01

I've not played in awhile but I've played AD&D from 2.0 to 3.5 and various Whitewolf games, other tabletops. It's all about the company you keep in my opinion. If you have some fun people playing PCs and an open-minded, intelligent, versatile, creative DM capable of improvising well, it can be a great game to play. Plenty of funny things can happen. It's good for expanding the mind and keeping sharp, in math, science, history, creativity, problem-solving, all kinds of great things if done right. Rule nazis, narrow minded people that don't know how to think outside the box, etc can ruin a game so make sure you are playing with the right people. It's really not much different than the old bardic round robin style of telling a story where people would take turns adding to the plot, taking over as narrator. It's obviously a tad different since there is really only one narrator usually in AD&D and similar and much of the world and game mechanics are set in place already and determined by rolling dice, but in concept it's the same. It's a group of people sharing responsibility to tell a story. It can be very fun, mentally engaging, and a learning experience. Narrow-minded people that write off something as inherently "for" or "not for" a specific type of person are ignorant people, probably just trying to crack harmless jokes. One guy I used to play with coulda whooped all our asses, 6'8" ironworker that weighed over 350 pounds. Said his totem spirit was a t-rex and as culturally incorrect as it may be, I friggin believe him. Not too bright, either, so in many regards he didn't fit the nerd label. Fag label, maybe, but I wouldn't tell him that to his face. Anyway, anyone can enjoy a nice tabletop RPG in the right setting. At least as far as castes of folks go.

Response to Dungeons and Dragons. 2011-05-19 23:13:07

I think so long as people don't take it too seriously then it won't be such a waste of time, maybe what people need to make it more entertaining is some weed, and/or beer?

Alucard > Edward

BBS Signature

Response to Dungeons and Dragons. 2011-05-19 23:59:26

Its a pretty cool game. One thng you don't want to do is piss off the dungeon master (as my friend found out). we didn't play much because or DM had other obligations. But when we did play it was for a few hours at least. The farthest I got was level 12 elf before we quit the game for some unknown reason.

BBS Signature