00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

twinkle123 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

PSN down for up to 2 days

54,246 Views | 882 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 01:01:13

At 5/9/11 12:09 AM, KeithHybrid wrote:
That seems fairly minor compared to what's happening now with PSN.

It's only a matter of time. Companies are very ignorant when it comes to the expendibility of consumers. They will say anything to get a consumer to sign along, so they can get there money; but saying that the 360 is unhackable is just challenge to hackers.

And I kinda support them; hackers can actually find what's wrong with the security system, and forces companies to deal with it, instead of hiding behind their money.

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 01:11:26

I just wish Sony would stop lying about when PSN is coming back up. They act like we are little kids that need to be soothed with words, and honestly I'm insulted that they continue to do it.

"It should be up in a few days."

Few days later...

"Well we didn't know the extent of the breach, it'll be a few more days"

Few days later...

"Well it turns out again we didn't know the extent of the breach, in a week it should be up"

Week later...

"We didn't realize the severity of the breach and we are working hard to get it back up and running while making it as secure as possible."

I mean so us some respect...

I would of rather had them say "Hey we don't know how long this is going to take, we'll update you with new information as we get it and detail what we are doing to fix this" instead of this throwing us through hoops bullshit.

BBS Signature

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 02:48:06

To the people supporting Sony on this:

Stop. It is true that there is no such thing as 100% security, however, you have to realize that the way in which it was handled was incredibly poor and sluggish. The main problem here is that Sony, once again, made an easy/stupid mistake that cost them and a lot of people money and inconvenience. It's easy to forget that it's not just Sony and its customers that are hurt by this, developers are hit very hard as well. There are a lot of games that came our just prior and during the PSN outage and now developers are losing and/or missing out on a lot of sales and money.

Some food for thought.

To the people that are happy about this outage:

Shush. You would be very unhappy if a similar situation happened to you. This goes beyond being a gamer and loving and supporting a system. Since this outage stocks have declined, developers have lost literally weeks worth of potential sales, credit card and personal information was let out in the open and a lot of people couldn't enjoy their console fully. If you get pleasure out of this, you need help. This could potentially happen to any network and is something that is not enjoyable to deal with at all. Even if a network was 100% hack proof you still shouldn't get enjoyment out of another network getting hacked, companies losing millions of dollars and personal information out in the open.

Both Sony and the hacker(s) are not something you want to stand up for right now. Both are fully at fault and were pretty selfish and/or careless about the whole situation. If you're a true gamer you will realize that Sony fucked up and now they and by extension, millions of other people are going to have to deal with it. At the same time you will realize that the hacking did absolutely nothing to benefit anybody but the hackers themselves. They have done nothing for you, they do not care about you, they have contributed nothing that benefits you. I suppose you could make the argument that now the PSN will be more secure, updated and people will get 'free' games and services for a bit. However I'm sure the vast majority of people (including Sony) would have preferred to reach that destination from a very different route. Every gamer should hope this gets resolved and that it doesn't happen again. People really need to stop focusing on defending companies and remember what gaming is all about, games. Enjoy your games regardless of which platform they are on, online or offline, from role playing game to first person shooter. Just enjoy the hobby as it is truly meant to be.

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 03:20:30

At 5/8/11 01:59 PM, Chiroz wrote: LMFAO A BURGER THAT A RANDOM DUDE SHIT ON xP

It's funny because it is a shitty comparison. Not because a guy shits on a burger.

But yeah, way to fail at a bandwagon there kiddo.

BBS Signature

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 03:33:57

Words of wisdom from Mr Slippery up there.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 03:44:40

At 5/9/11 02:48 AM, SlipperyMooseCakes wrote: stuff

This is why you're too good for this place.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 04:16:07

I'm not trying to be mean to any people or make fun of PS3 users (I have a PS3) but I found this joke pretty funny: What's big black and steals credit cards? Sony Playstation 3.

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 06:17:47

At 5/8/11 10:07 PM, KeithHybrid wrote: Has XBL ever been hacked and forced to be taken down indefinitely?

It'd probably be as easy to get into as PSN. Maybe even easier, who knows?

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 09:41:59

At 5/8/11 11:08 AM, LulzCal wrote: Just had an awesome game of Bad Company 2, now to play some Portal 2 Co-op.

I just had an awesome game of inFAMOUS, LittleBigPlanet 2, and White Knight Chronicles. It feels good to play a game that has a good single player campaign.
Did you enjoy beating both games in under 24 hours? I bet if I played only these three games from beginning to end, by the time PSN comes back up, I still wouldn't have beaten them all.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 10:13:12

The new date is May 31.

I still have my reservations as to whether they'll keep that date. :(

When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 10:37:32

At 5/9/11 10:13 AM, KeithHybrid wrote: The new date is May 31.

And that's just before their E3 conference. We all know who the unpopular one will be this year. I'd like to see how they can recover from all of this.

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 11:37:05

Gaaaahhh still not up!!!!! What the eff Sony?..Its ok its okay im not mad at you...

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 11:48:29

At 5/9/11 11:37 AM, SouthAsian wrote: Gaaaahhh still not up!!!!! What the eff Sony?..Its ok its okay im not mad at you...

YOU'VE GOT TO GET MAD!

When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 12:05:04

At 5/9/11 11:48 AM, KeithHybrid wrote:
At 5/9/11 11:37 AM, SouthAsian wrote: Gaaaahhh still not up!!!!! What the eff Sony?..Its ok its okay im not mad at you...
YOU'VE GOT TO GET MAD!

It would be wonderful to do something...like that video suggests.

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 13:43:51

At 5/9/11 10:13 AM, KeithHybrid wrote: The new date is May 31.

Well that's awesome.

I'm going to have to say I don't really like Sony anymore and I don't know if I'll be investing in future products. Not because the service went offline, because it could happen to anyone, but again the way they are treating their customers. They lie to us in hopes of getting us to shut up and get us off their backs and if you ask me that's a sign of disrespect. They should of never given a date or a time frame like I said in a previous post, they should of been very blunt and straight forward with everything that has occurred.

To those who say things along the line of, "go play a single player game, we didn't always have online etc", we aren't the ones who advertise Sony's product as having the capabilities to go online. I mean if a medicine said "will cure common cold", aren't you going to expect it to be able to cure the common cold?
If it doesn't your also not going to go, "well at one time they didn't have the ability to cure the common cold so it's ok". (Best comparison I could come up with without it being too extreme).

As someone else said, I really wanna see how they'll pull themselves out of this one.

I guess they would respect us if we didn't look like wallets with pig tails....

BBS Signature

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 14:38:51

Jesus christ how many days is it now? Also it fucking figures that it goes down 1 day after portal 2 comes out lol.

They said I could become anything so I became everything.

BBS Signature

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 14:45:52

Seeing as the common cold is a virus, and thus, incurable, it would be safe to say that you dontMt know what you are talking about zoos. This, coupled with the "sony is lying" line. It is not a matter of lying unless you are 12. If you are an adult, it is a matter of unexpected complications. This sort of uncontrollable variable occurs in adult life, with no one really to blame.

Because programming is always as straight forward and as simple as it seems, and no one ever runs into an unexpected obstacle.

/sarcasm

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 15:48:04

I do realize my fault in that statement. I was originally going to use a curable disease, but if I did that would of seemed like to extreme of a comparison, so I switched it out for the simple phrase "common cold". As for the Sony lying I stand by that and not as a "12 year old". Maybe not in a the traditional sense of a lie, maybe I should of said skewed truth?

I understand how programming isn't straight forward and I understand that complications can occur, but you can't tell me they don't have a rough estimate on how long something of this "magnitude" will take. They aren't just simply replacing a simple line or two of coding, they are essentially re-hauling everything or a huge amount of what they have to the best of my knowledge. Not to mention it started being "in a couple of days", grew to "within the week" and now the estimated time is going to be roughly two weeks(according to the article Keith posted). Oh and why do they feel the need to keep reiterating "We did not realize the extent of the attack". So something is off so again maybe not lying as I put it, but just skewing the truth.

/somethingthatwasntneeded

BBS Signature

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 16:14:32

Let's say you have a brother. He is graduating today. You promise him you will be at his graduation. He eagerly looks forward to seeing you at his ceremony. You never show. Due to the fact that a drunk driver t-boned your car with his oversized pickup truck, and you were taken by ambulance to the hospital to spend the next 3 weeks in a hospital bed. Does this make you a liar?

This is all hypothetically speaking of course and I would never wish something like this upon someone.

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 16:17:57

Irelevant!

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 17:12:43

At 5/9/11 04:14 PM, MercatorMapV2 wrote: Let's say you have a brother. He is graduating today. You promise him you will be at his graduation. He eagerly looks forward to seeing you at his ceremony. You never show. Due to the fact that a drunk driver t-boned your car with his oversized pickup truck, and you were taken by ambulance to the hospital to spend the next 3 weeks in a hospital bed. Does this make you a liar?

This is all hypothetically speaking of course and I would never wish something like this upon someone.

No but if you were to keep calling your brother throughout this whole incident saying "I'll be there in <time>", then you would be.

My point being, once they realized they really didn't know how long this was going to take, they should of stopped giving us dates and estimates. They should of said, "hey listen we don't know how long this is going to take, we have to do this, this and this, and we'll try and keep you up to date with the progress".

BBS Signature

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 18:05:07

At 5/9/11 04:14 PM, MercatorMapV2 wrote: Let's say you have a brother. He is graduating today. You promise him you will be at his graduation. He eagerly looks forward to seeing you at his ceremony. You never show. Due to the fact that a drunk driver t-boned your car with his oversized pickup truck, and you were taken by ambulance to the hospital to spend the next 3 weeks in a hospital bed. Does this make you a liar?

That wouldn't make you a liar. But Sony was speeding on the way to their brother's graduation so while they didn't cause the accident they forgot to wear their seatbelt which is why they are in the hospital.

Thnx for the sig ParadoxVoid

i look like a ballplaya

BBS Signature

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 18:09:52

No, but I don't like that person which means he is a liar. And the drunk driver probably had a good reason to be driving while drunk. Maybe he didn't have a ride home.

BBS Signature

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 18:17:36

May 31st? *sits in a corner drawing a circle on the ground*

In internet years i'm dead. *click sig to zoom zoom*

BBS Signature

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 18:28:29

At 5/9/11 06:17 PM, WooldoorSockbat wrote: May 31st? *sits in a corner drawing a circle on the ground*

Actually it might be even longer. I just read an article that says on Kotaku posted today:

"Today Sony officials told Kotaku that there is no new estimate for when they plan to start putting the service back online.

" 'We're working hard, doing everything we can to get the services restored as soon as possible," the spokesman said.' "

Well at least they finally stopped trying to give dates.

BBS Signature

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 18:50:55

Back ups aren't going to help the fact that the servers are down because info was stolen from them. The back ups are just going to simply have the same problem. I would suggest reading some news articles and actually finding out what is going on before posting something like this.

In other news, thanks for giving a serious reply zoos. Unlike the people who immediately followed you.

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 18:58:37

At 5/9/11 06:50 PM, MercatorMapV2 wrote: In other news, thanks for giving a serious reply zoos. Unlike the people who immediately followed you.

Of course. I love a good discussion and debate especially when it doesn't cross an unnecessary line, such as insulting others to gain credit or to discredit them. Thanks for bringing up my mistake with the common cold (I know that viruses mutate which make them impossible to "cure" just in case anyone thinks I'm stupid), as well a valid point and minor argument.

BBS Signature

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 19:08:14

At 5/9/11 06:50 PM, MercatorMapV2 wrote: In other news, thanks for giving a serious reply zoos. Unlike the people who immediately followed you.

Sorry, I was trying to play the role of the guys who keep defending the hackers.

BBS Signature

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 19:28:58

Oh man.....2 weeks, and it could last until the 31st? They said they were testing it, how long does it take to test? This is just stupid. Why? What the hell man?

PSN down for up to 2 days

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to PSN down for up to 2 days 2011-05-09 19:52:13

By the end of this all their going to owe us a TON of free stuff. I say a fun free game for each week it's off.