00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hey! I'm here waving a knife at you because we need your help! Our goal is for NG to be ad-free for everyone and we can't do it without you!

Please check out our Supporter Upgrade and consider coming aboard!

Andkon 2011-04-09 15:55:49

Just thought I'd put this up. The website Andkon.com has come to my attention a few days ago. It showcases games without giving credit or using permission. Your game may be up there right now. Beware, as it is a profiting website, and although it looks very shitty, it is not small-scale. If you have games on NG or other notable sites, it may be worth a visit. You've been warned.

What a logo!

Andkon

SirKillington is your new god.

Mongo just pawn... in game of life.

BBS Signature

Response to Andkon 2011-04-09 19:46:27

Thanks for this. Looks like it is littered with ads. Looking at it's alexa ranking, it is also a busy site. If the games still have sponsor logos/adverts there is little reason not to put games on a site like this.

Response to Andkon 2011-04-09 21:39:20

I used to play game son there all the time from 2004 all the way to 2006 if the website was up then.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Andkon 2011-04-10 11:55:27

You do realize that Andkon pays between $100 to $500 for each and every game they have up there right?

They don't just take permission, they pay fair and square for a non-exclusive license.

What you should be worried about is those Chinese sites that take games without the developer's permission, rip out the sponsor's branding and display their own. That one is cutting in on the sponsor's profit, who payed a lot for the branding of the game. Other than that, there's not much to worry about.

Response to Andkon 2011-04-10 12:30:24

4urentertainment has it right. If you have games on NG, odds are pretty good you've done business with me. It's 2011 and people STILL don't know about how this works? Developers get money from licensing the games to people like me. That's why Flash games have increased in quality over the last five years. So you're welcome :-)

Response to Andkon 2011-04-10 17:34:52

At 4/10/11 12:30 PM, andkon wrote: 4urentertainment has it right. If you have games on NG, odds are pretty good you've done business with me. It's 2011 and people STILL don't know about how this works? Developers get money from licensing the games to people like me. That's why Flash games have increased in quality over the last five years. So you're welcome :-)

I can verify this. JordanD and I just did some business with Andkon recently. We've already been paid and there were no snags in the process.
Although, I will say this. Some sites *will* take your game, and some won't even credit you on the page. When you're starting out as a Flash developer, your first instinct is usually to abhor this sort of thing. Over time, you'll start to realize that it's really just more exposure, that asking permission is kind of token, and that if you really want to control where your game is hosted, just sitelock it. It's an extremely simple script.

BBS Signature

Response to Andkon 2011-04-10 18:20:11

At 4/10/11 05:34 PM, NegativeONE wrote: It's an extremely simple script.

And an extremely simple hack.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature

Response to Andkon 2011-04-10 21:09:19

Any site with even the slightest reputation won't attempt to hack around sitelocking. If there are some you're aware of, feel free to share. Just make sure you're certain of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Andkon 2011-04-10 21:21:30

At 4/10/11 06:20 PM, sasuke2910 wrote:

This might be a good time for me to ask this question actually.
Say for example i find a game on Andkon, which is site locked to Andkon only, and i want to put this game on my site, but the trick is that i dont upload the game to my host i simply use the link of the game back to Andkon and display the swf on my site.

is there a way around that?

BBS Signature

Response to Andkon 2011-04-11 01:43:19

At 4/10/11 09:09 PM, NegativeONE wrote: Any site with even the slightest reputation won't attempt to hack around sitelocking. If there are some you're aware of, feel free to share. Just make sure you're certain of it.

As I mentioned, there *are* those that not only break sitelocks, but *remove* the branding of the sponsor and add their own. Even if you encrypt the code, they swap the images through some convoluted way.

They had a big "black list" of portal sites that either steal games like that or simply block external links. In both cases, the portals are getting a free non-exclusive license that other sites are paying for.

Response to Andkon 2011-04-13 18:10:24

At 4/10/11 09:21 PM, The-titan wrote:
Say for example i find a game on Andkon, which is site locked to Andkon only, and i want to put this game on my site, but the trick is that i dont upload the game to my host i simply use the link of the game back to Andkon and display the swf on my site.

The point of a site-lock is that it's only playable from the site.
If it's playable on your site you've effectively broken the law...

I don't think good sites will let you hotlink like that anyways.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature

Response to Andkon 2011-04-21 01:56:56

At 4/10/11 09:21 PM, The-titan wrote:

Yes, rename the file for your site and upload a new file for the old URL. When you send them an email informing them they've been hosting goatse or meatspin (with looped music!) for a week, they'll know never to do that again. Based on a true story.

Response to Andkon 2011-04-21 02:11:08

[alt-255] [alt-255] [alt-30] [enter] [alt 30] [alt 255] [alt 30]

Response to Andkon 2011-04-21 05:49:10

At 4/10/11 05:34 PM, NegativeONE wrote: Although, I will say this. Some sites *will* take your game, and some won't even credit you on the page. When you're starting out as a Flash developer, your first instinct is usually to abhor this sort of thing. Over time, you'll start to realize that it's really just more exposure, that asking permission is kind of token, and that if you really want to control where your game is hosted, just sitelock it. It's an extremely simple script.

I agree -- sitelocking is usually like stopping the media from entering or something in real life, however, if it's not a big issue and any advertisements are not stripped off the SWF (say by decompiling them, rearranging pieces to account for errors) then it's all really a gain for the developer.
However, if they do strip off advertisements, chances are sitelocking it won't work, if some sly people have removed even that from the SWF; however, it may be possible to not allow that, but it is a dream for people who're just getting started and get popular, say, even though the lost revenue from it being displayed on that site, some people might know that it's not right and so go to the place where the original version was put up.

Then again, excuse me if I explained the "stripping advertising things" wrong; I have no clue of how people do that, if they can.

I didn't know andkon was a user here.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature