00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Gaidpool just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Voting System?

40,710 Views | 578 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to New Voting System? 2007-08-18 20:34:24

At 8/20/01 01:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have some crazy ideas for the site that I might implement over the next few months, but one involves changing the current voting system. I thought it would be good to get some feedback!

What we've noticed is that a lot of users vote either 0 or 5 on movies, because they want to either raise or lower the score. People are igoring 1-4 because there are so many voters and you need to be extreme to make a difference in a movies score.

Sooo... What if we ditched the 0-5 system for a thumbs up / thumbs down system? Basically it would be a yay or nay, and we would calculate a score based on how many thumbs up for how many total votes. For example, if a movie has 10 votes, 6 being a thumbs up, it would have a score of 60%.

It would simplify the voting process and the results might actually end up being better... We could still track light and dark users based on their vote vs. the score... So if a movie has an 80% and someone votes against it, that would still count towards making them a darker user.

What does everyone think of this?

i personally use 1, instead of zero if the flash user is experimenting and write a review to help them out, plus, i dont think people will go"i voted a thumbs up for u!!!!!!!!!" i like the conventional five!

French tanks have six gears, 5 reverse, and one forward in case they are ever attacked from behind

BBS Signature

Response to New Voting System? 2007-08-18 21:21:27

well it's a nice idea, but.. how are you going to do for the scores, are you going to put them after the movie get save... so.. only the movies that pass judgement are going to be able for voting with the normal voting system?...
If you make this way... it could work...

~Member of the EGB since 10/04/07 ~Member of the NGDD since 10/28/07

~thanx a million times for the sig CagedSilhouette

BBS Signature

Response to New Voting System? 2007-08-19 18:11:14

I had a plan maybe NG could take into consideration, a some groups on NG put meaningless spam on
NG so instead of just giving 0's getting our account terminated, you can make a new whistle option,
(IsSpam, pointless)
So we could limit 0's people give so accounts won't be terminated.
Anyone like my Idea?

U DO NOT KILL CLOWN.......

BBS Signature

Response to New Voting System? 2007-08-21 22:12:35

Great idea, but I think a middle vote would be good also. Like a thumb up, sideways, and down.

Response to New Voting System? 2007-08-22 03:18:02

Sorry, but i dont like it. it then takes away Batting averages and Overall scores.
I dont want this site to be a Hallpass clone ...
Putting a "Thumbs Up/Down" it baisically is makeing it that everyone can either vote "0" or "5".

Response to New Voting System? 2007-08-22 11:58:57

good good good!

Liam TannerHi!

BBS Signature

Response to New Voting System? 2007-08-22 12:06:39

seems like i good idea :D

Cheating? I like to call it strategic opportunity.

Response to New Voting System? 2007-08-22 16:41:42

NO FUCKING WAY

The only real place people do that is in the portal, and most flashes I give a 3 or 4 rating. I say FUCK NO.

You can't spell FÜHRER without Ü

"You know you fail in life when you fail to end your failure"

Response to New Voting System? 2007-08-23 07:18:21

Idea is good.. but sometimes movie is... proper 3... nothing new but nothing bad

Response to New Voting System? 2007-08-23 08:24:44

but i like the idea that the more i vote on things the more my votes count for that's why i vote if that dident hapen and it was just to blam or save something i probally wouldent vote on five things a day

"what is love? baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more"

BBS Signature

Response to New Voting System? 2007-08-24 14:50:52

Might just be crazy enough to work! I mean I even find my self giving 5 or 0 to movies that have way to many votes for a 1-4 to count. And people want there votes to count. When its a movie that has a regular amount of fair votes i will use 1-4. So dont think 1-4 is a complete waste of time. But the thumbs up or thumbs down idea is pretty nifty

-Saiyankid109-

Response to New Voting System? 2007-08-25 02:59:33

I think it's a really bad idea. Maybe MOST people vote 0/5, but I don't see why you should be encouraging that, and denying the voice of those whose opinions are more nuanced. If I am judging a submission, I rarely vote 0/5 (I often vote "5", but only for my favourite films. I rarely do it for anything new).

Response to New Voting System? 2007-08-26 01:27:09

I tend to vote 0 or 5 myself--typically on movies/games that deserve one or the other, and just don't vote on the others. On a rare occasion I'll use one of the other numbers, if I'm "real sure" about it. To be fair, I haven't really been voting on submissions for more than a few days, though.

Even having said that, I don't think the thumbs system would be a good idea. With so many submissions, I think it's important to have more control over your vote.

Some "in-a-perfect-world" hypotheticals using the thumb system:

* A movie that every single person saw and loved. This movie would get nothing but thumbs up and receive a perfect score.

* A movie that every single person saw and thought was okay. You know, better than average, pretty good, whatever. This movie would get nothing but thumbs up and receive a perfect score, because why give a thumbs down to a "better than average" movie?

Using the current system, the movie that everyone loved would get a bunch of 5s, while the movie that most people thought was average would get mostly 3-5 votes.

The 'middle road' thumb-option might help out... but then that's just a 0-2 voting system. And besides, I guess I don't really see the motivation for the potential move. Are the 1-4 voting icons sucking up too much bandwidth or something? :p

We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.

Freshmaking

Brainscrape

BBS Signature

Response to New Voting System? 2007-08-26 05:38:48

well you could include an ok! for 5 points

???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era,

What have I done with my life?

BBS Signature

Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-02 04:23:30

Thumbs up or down? Good idea :D

BBS Signature

Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-02 08:02:51

it`s a great idea because most people don`t actually use 1-4 so they just take up space.

Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-03 03:34:51

I use 1-4 seldomly but it looks like at this point the thumbs system isn't being looke into anymore.

I don't know and don't care.

Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-05 19:54:20

I know this is an old-ish thread but I think that it would ruin newgrounds. Older movies and games get few votes per day and changing the system will reset all scores. The very low popularity movies would have a very unfair score.

You can't know what you don't know if you can only use yourself as a reference point.

Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-06 22:26:09

At 9/6/07 07:04 PM, grandia2 wrote: I dont wat to lose my voting power i have worked hard for! not a good idea

You could still have your vote power. Just get how ever much your vote power is in thumbs.

Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-07 21:25:44

Hmm, I think you would still need the 0-5 voting system in order to better evaluate the flashes that are undergoing the Under Judgment phase, in order to give it a chance. Generally after the first few hundred votes the 1-4 buttons lose their voting efficiency, and hence you begin to see the 0 and 5 use (assuming this is what's happening)

You could implement the Thumbs Up/ Down system after the flashes escape the under judgment phase. It is also likely that the requirements for passing may have to be tightened as a result...

-V. Khronos

Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-07 22:26:50

Well, I gave it a bit more thought...

Instead of what I suggested above, lets say you leave everything as is and implement the Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down vote mechanism. You make the Under Judgment system more lenient or you leave it as it is, this way people who are submitting their first flashes for the first time can get a chance to be seen by the mainstream crowd of Newgrounds.

Now in addition to the Thumbs Up / Down buttons, or the absolute vote buttons, you introduce a button called the Shaky Hand - Representing the viewer's inability to make an absolute vote. Choosing this button will display new buttons equivalent to the current 1 / 4 buttons.

Now the system will keep track of which of the three initial buttons were chosen in the first vote during Under Judgement. The flash submission will be treated normally if more than 45% of the clicks correspond to the absolute vote buttons. Now, if the Shaky Hand button is chosen significantly more times the system should signal the flash and put it under a "Closer Observation" status.

Once it is in this Closer Observation status, review viewing will be enabled for the flash and the system will now keep closer track of the moderate votes. If the majority of the moderate votes correspond to the 1 or 2 votes, the submission in question will be flagged. If it has a significant Thumbs Down vote as well, the flash will be eliminated. If it has an near equal or significant Thumbs up vote, it will go into a Near Death status. It will be up to the next few votes to decide its fate.

Meh, so how's this for a suggestion?

-V. Khronos

Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-07 22:32:05

Aw frig. I forgot one last thing.

The Thumbs Up /Down system would not work for the Audio Portal. The current system helps indicate the progress/ quality of the music, and might be helping the artists gain a better idea of whether they need to improve or not.

Or maybe none of the vote systems really help for that portal, since so few people vote anyways...

Yep. Done now.

-V. Khronos

Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-09 17:39:42

I like how the system is now, were there's 500 different possibility's of score, 100 different possibility's of score isn't enough considering that there's over 100,000 movies and games out there at the moment.

You can't know what you don't know if you can only use yourself as a reference point.

Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-13 00:18:45

do this for audio too

Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-14 09:03:40

No! I vote more 3s and 4s than I vote 0s and 5s.

And I'm sure many others use them too. Let it just stay that way.

This post is generated by human intelligence (or lack thereof).

Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-14 09:05:02

At 9/14/07 04:42 AM, squeakytoad wrote:
At 9/14/07 04:39 AM, squeakytoad wrote: I really don't like this idea at all.
Oh crap. Didn't realize how old this was. Why do people keep bumping stuff in the news forum? Ah it's annoying trying to find a recent article that's no longer listed on the front page.

Damn. I got tricked too.

lol srsly

This post is generated by human intelligence (or lack thereof).

Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-14 09:21:43

No more 1-4, it just sucks, just 0-5, Blam or Save, Thumbs up or down?
Fuck yeah, it's a good idea, Tom!

Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-14 13:32:41

Pretty swell idea.......

Ich habe ein panzerwagen und mein panzerwagen is kaput! :(

Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-15 09:28:20

At 9/14/07 09:03 AM, Jin wrote: No! I vote more 3s and 4s than I vote 0s and 5s.

And I'm sure many others use them too. Let it just stay that way.

Ya, I do the same, better stick with the old system.
Anyway, this thread has been living for a long time and is very popular too, in other words you won't get baned for posting here in case your afraid of bumping an old thread.

Response to New Voting System? 2007-09-15 10:27:18

lol when I was reading it I thought it was august of this year for a second, then I did a double take at the year date XD