00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Allthingz2020 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cigarettes Don't Help Stress

1,805 Views | 26 Replies

Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-26 20:34:51

I've been smoking cigarettes for about four years, maybe a little less.
People have told me time and time again that it helps them when they're stressed, and that is the main reason that they have started smoking, and I've seen many people on here say that it helps them with stress, on multiple occasions. All of the things that are in cigarettes, I am sure have never been proven to really help stress.
What does help, is the way that you're breathing when you smoke a cigarette.

Many time when I have been stressed out to an extreme point, out of anger, depression, or both combined I have had a cigarette. I can remember one time when I was coming down off of ecstasy the very first time I tried it, I was extremely depressed and my entire family was disappointed in me because I went out that night to a concert and stayed at my girlfriend at the time's house to do drugs. They didn't know I was there to do drugs, but they did know I should have been at home.

When I was at home, I went outside for a smoke because the stress of it all and coming down off of the drugs was really stressing me out, I smoked one king sized cigarette, and right after I lit another one. I was crying the entire time I was coming down, and that also meant when I was smoking these cigarettes. I'd say it's safe to say I smoked them very fast because of how stressed out I was, so one cigarette just wasn't enough - I was still stressed out, still angry, still depressed. The second cigarette didn't do anything either, I smoked that just as fast as the first one. I wasn't slowing down my breathing whatsoever when I was smoking these two cigarettes. I wanted a third one, but knew that it would be stupid to do that, it was stupid enough smoking one after the other.

Now, lots of people disagree with this, but when I am mad now because of fighting with family or a friend, I will have a cigarette and smoke it at a rate that I will enjoy the cigarette, I can spend up to five minutes smoking one regular cigarette, because I am allowing myself to breathe fresh air while smoking. THIS is what helps with stress. I've never been helped with stress from smoking fast, but when I breath at a slow rate - The stress is gone. Breathing helps with stress, cigarettes don't and never will. There is nothing in them that helps you with stress whatsoever.
Even if it's been reported that there is, which I doubt it, the ultimate thing is how you breathe when you smoke.
So, if any of you are stressed out and somebody around you is smoking and offers you one, or a drag, say no. Just breathe. If you're stressed out and are around a package of cigarettes where you could take one without the smoker's permission and not get caught, don't do it. There is no point. Not only will it not help with stress, but it's the worst addiction you'll ever have, if you do get addicted. It becomes habit, whenever you're stressed you'll want a smoke.
I have never quit smoking since I started, I've tried many times but because of stress I never do. Now that may seem to sort of defeat my message I'm trying to get to you, but it's because of the breathing you do when you smoke a cigarette, that I smoke when I'm stressed.

The cigarette does NOT help you, the breathing you do does. So, just breathe, don't smoke. Anybody who says the cigarette helps them is wrong, if anything they are HALF right, the only thing really helping their stress is themselves.

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-26 21:08:42

So what else is new? I think AustinBreed already proved that.

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-26 21:09:29

Smoking is for the weak.

BBS Signature

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-26 21:23:04

At 3/26/11 09:18 PM, Piggler wrote: I usually smoke cigarettes really fast and I get a nice buzz going. I wouldn't advise cigarettes as a stress reliever.

That is what got me started, my friend would offer me a drag and tell me to take a big one and hold it in - I got a cool head buzz but now I have the worst addiction ever.

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-26 21:49:12

At 3/26/11 09:09 PM, Villager wrote: Smoking is for the weak.

This.

If you under the weather, instead of reaching for a cig or a blunt,go outside or call some friends over.

Moved to new account.

BBS Signature

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-26 21:50:01

Smoking makes no logical sense.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-26 21:50:57

I never tried cigarettes because they don't do shit for you, they don't get you high. Plus, I have been inhaling second hand cigarette smoke all my life from most of my family members and it didn't interest me at all.

IRC : 36in

BBS Signature

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-26 22:25:08

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

BBS Signature

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-26 22:52:29

I think it's arguable whether or not cigarettes actually do all that much to calm you down. I personally think they do help a bit, but obviously your body builds up a tolerance to nicotine the more you smoke, so the effect is lessened if you're a regular or heavy smoker.

I've been smoking for about 8 years or so now, and recently I've been cutting down to a cigarette or two a day. Since cutting down I've foundthat it helps relax me a lot more... and I smoke indoors so you can't blame it on the fresh air ;)

Either way man, if you don't enjoy it and it doesn't do anything for you then I'd say it's time to start cutting down and giving up. Fuck spending all that money for no reason.

BBS Signature

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-26 22:58:50

Your heart beats faster. Logic would assume it's counter-productive to helping with stress. It's like taking a low dose of cocaine or speed to help with stress.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-26 23:06:27

You'd better hope you got a good gene pool or prepare to shit out your guts.

BBS Signature

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-26 23:10:11

I tried a cigarette once, tasted like shit and I was coughing for 5 minutes after. But yeah what I do when I'm stressed or angry is I take deep breaths, it helps.

Bringing back old shit.

BBS Signature

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-26 23:11:40

Cigarettes added to my stress. It fucked up my circulation and made me a fucking wreck. I dunno what I was thinking all these years.

BBS Signature

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-26 23:41:47

I never made the connection of the breathing during smoking and that effect on stress. Good observation. I still am smoking, with high ambitions to quit. I got a box of the patch at home waiting to be used. The best advice i can say about quitting smoking is, prepare to replace the feeling of carving a cigarette, with eating lots of food (or snacks) and skip out drinking on the weekends. (Drinking really sets me off.)

Good luck, you can do it. Mind over manner.

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-27 01:23:12

Its just an excuse for someone to smoke one. I've quit smoking and I can't really find one good reason to smoke them ever. They don't give you anything at all. It's just what you are telling yourself that makes you think it is doing something.

We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.

Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-27 01:52:40

Just take a bong toke, stress relieved.

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-27 01:54:58

cigarettes up your stress and then you get stressed more, but when you have a cigarette it brings your stress back down to normal.. so then it feel slike you're not stressed anynmore.

probably

BBS Signature

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-27 02:12:48

I was crying the entire time I was coming down

I see the problem here. You're a little bitch.

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-27 02:58:36

At 3/26/11 09:09 PM, Villager wrote: Smoking is for the weak.

Excellent, we are making progress.

Anyway, sounds like the negatives of drugs outweighs the highs you get from them. If it's the breathing that you think helps you, ditch the cigarette.

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-27 03:19:33

At 3/27/11 03:16 AM, Leidolfr wrote: I couldnt hear you, i was enjoying a refreshing, Relaxing Camel

They have to control population growth somehow.

BBS Signature

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-27 03:28:36

At 3/27/11 03:21 AM, Leidolfr wrote:
At 3/27/11 03:19 AM, Scrotaculous wrote:
At 3/27/11 03:16 AM, Leidolfr wrote: I couldnt hear you, i was enjoying a refreshing, Relaxing Camel
thats why you look like you

I'm glad you don't find me attractive, your not my type.

BBS Signature

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-27 03:34:02

If you want to waste $5-6 on a pack of tubes that you burn, to get a little buzz from the chemicals that the goverment says is awwwwwww-right. Then be my guest.

I've tried smoking, never really liked it.

However that's not to say I don't enjoy sitting down and passing a hookah horse around. Please don't be ignorant fucks and say "hookah b same as cigarettes lololol" Because if you have half a brain you would realize the tobacco is what makes the difference.

My Youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/fuzzum1 11

If you get a ban, it was totally worth it. 10/10, I love you. -Skaren

BBS Signature

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-27 03:40:04

At 3/27/11 03:29 AM, Leidolfr wrote:
At 3/27/11 03:28 AM, Scrotaculous wrote:
At 3/27/11 03:21 AM, Leidolfr wrote:
At 3/27/11 03:19 AM, Scrotaculous wrote:
thats why you look like you
I'm glad you don't find me attractive, your not my type.
I'll keep you around though, I might need your nose as a life raft, so my cigarettes don't get wet

I'm sure they will roll off considering it's not a table like surface. Sorry for derailing the thread lol.

BBS Signature

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-27 03:52:17

At 3/27/11 03:46 AM, Leidolfr wrote: because cigarettes are carried individually, and not in square, non rolling boxes

Which slide down ramp like surfaces such as my nose.

BBS Signature

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-27 03:56:00

You never said anything about my nose being detached from my face. You are just being silly now.

BBS Signature

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-27 03:56:51

At 3/26/11 10:52 PM, NEVR wrote: I've been smoking for about 8 years or so now, and recently I've been cutting down to a cigarette or two a day.

Same here, except I've cut myself down to about 5 cigarettes a day, which was a hell of a struggle. I suppose it's pretty good considering I was smoking one and a half to two packs a day at one point.

Since cutting down I've foundthat it helps relax me a lot more.

I've found the exact same thing. It's like once you're addicted, the more you deprive yourself of your fix of nicotine the more calming it is when you get it.

Either way man, if you don't enjoy it and it doesn't do anything for you then I'd say it's time to start cutting down and giving up. Fuck spending all that money for no reason.

I agree. Although, I would say that it's really not a good idea to get started to begin with. The only reason I started was because I was naive and didn't understand how strong the addiction actually is. When I started, I never thought that at the age of 22 I'd still be smoking on a daily basis.

Anyway, I think that smoking is not going to help with stress any, unless you're already addicted and it's still probably not going to help anymore than some other type of activity that's comforting to you. Also, while it can help reduce stress, keep in mind that it can't fix any of the problems that are causing your stress in the first place.

BBS Signature

Response to Cigarettes Don't Help Stress 2011-03-27 04:22:32

No but they help cancer

BBS Signature