00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Shoegaze & Dream Pop club

30,851 Views | 110 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-03-12 11:15:36

Do you like Shoegaze? or maybe Dreampop? Then this is the club for you to discuss all your favorite shoegaze and dreampop classics, or any new releases in those genres.

Now maybe you might ask what is shoegaze? Well wikipedia says:
The shoegazing sound is typified by significant use of guitar effects, and indistinguishable vocal melodies that blended into the creative noise of the guitars. Common musical elements of shoegazing consist of distortion, droning riffs and a "wall of sound" from noisy guitars. Typically, two distorted rhythm guitars are played together to give an amorphous quality to the sound. Although lead guitar riffs were often present, they were not the central focus of most shoegazing songs.

Dream Pop is:
The essence of the music is a focus on ethereal textures and moods, rather than on propulsive rock riffs. Breathy, high-register female vocals or almost whispered male vocals are usually the means of lyrical delivery; lyrics are generally introspective and existential in nature.

While these genres originated in the late 80s to early 90s, they are still prevalent in today's music. Specifically, Shoegaze has seen a recent re-surge in newer artists, especially with electronic musicians.

Some of my personal favorite artists are:
Slowdive
Ulrich Schnauss
Air Formation
Jesu
Cocteau Twins

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-03-12 12:21:11

AS much as I love the two, I don't really know of many bands. I like My Bloody Valentine, The Lilys, and Slowdive, but I haven't avidly listened to many other bands. If anyone could give me some other good bands, I would love to give them a listen.

Also, one of my favirote black metal bands has heavy shoegaze influences.

BBS Signature

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-03-12 13:16:18

At 3/12/11 12:21 PM, Tobi wrote: AS much as I love the two, I don't really know of many bands. I like My Bloody Valentine, The Lilys, and Slowdive, but I haven't avidly listened to many other bands. If anyone could give me some other good bands, I would love to give them a listen.

Also, one of my favirote black metal bands has heavy shoegaze influences.

Yeah the metally shoegaze stuff is always cool with me, like Jesu I linked in the first post. Some bands I would recommend are:
Alcian Blue
Duster
Hammock
Jesu
Oceanographer
Resplandor
Sore Eyelids

Okay I'll stop there, but I'm sure you might find something you'll like in there.

At 3/12/11 12:44 PM, Canas wrote: Would Tame Impala qualify as shoegaze?

I always considered them more just along the lines of psychadelic rock, but there's so many genres and subgenres nowadays I can never really tell

Seems pretty shoegaze-y to me, but I definitely hear the psychadelic rock aspect of it. Good stuff man :)

And i'm not sure if you consider dreampop to be akin to chillwave, but chillwave is the tits

Washed out - feel it all around

Ooo that's nice. Have you heard Lone?

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-03-12 20:47:42

Oh I'm all over this like shit on a stick. Love dream pop, and I've been getting into shoegaze more and more recently. Been listening to the Lost in Translation soundtrack this last week or so quite a lot.
But yeah I love people like Beach House, School of Seven Bells, atlas sound, etc.

BBS Signature

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-03-13 17:59:19

Fuck yeah man luv dat shit yo.

Last shoegaze album I listened to was Astrobrite - Crush, just chill and let it wash overy you mang.

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-03-14 00:48:10

I only know of one shoegaze band :O Alcest :)

You guys like em?

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-03-14 10:16:15

At 3/12/11 08:47 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Oh I'm all over this like shit on a stick. Love dream pop, and I've been getting into shoegaze more and more recently. Been listening to the Lost in Translation soundtrack this last week or so quite a lot.
But yeah I love people like Beach House, School of Seven Bells, atlas sound, etc.

Welcome. Yeah I remember getting into the Lost in Translation soundtrack awhile back. Listening to that and MBV really got me into shoegaze, although I barely listen to MBV anymore.

At 3/13/11 05:59 PM, SomaGuye wrote: Fuck yeah man luv dat shit yo.

Last shoegaze album I listened to was Astrobrite - Crush, just chill and let it wash overy you mang.

Just listened to Astrobrite... How have I never heard this band before?? great stuff

At 3/14/11 12:48 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: I only know of one shoegaze band :O Alcest :)

You guys like em?

Alcest is pretty cool. I dig the whole blackmetal shoegaze stuff. A little blast beat in my shoegaze is p. cool. I think I heard someone mention them in Metal Hell once so I checked them out.

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-03-14 10:33:05

Don't know much about shoegaze and dream pop, but I really like House of Love, Cocteau Twins, My Bloody Valentine, A Place to Bury Strangers, LSD and the Search for God, Glifted, and Chapterhouse.

Hey, any of you guys ever listen to All Natural Lemon & Lime Flavors? Some of the best shoegaze I've ever heard, though I've only listened to Turning into Small.

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-03-15 02:08:12

Dude, lol, I didn't think you gave a shit about shoegaze.

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-03-19 12:25:25

The only band I know of as shoegaze is Alcest.

Maybe you guys could help me get into similar bands? :)

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-03-27 00:47:33

I'm reading the thread canas

Also my contribution to the thread: A Sunny Day In Glasgow - Close Chorus

BBS Signature

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-03-27 14:31:36

Sorry guys, I've ben neglecting my own club :( Just been a bit busy.

I just want to post my shoegaze band of the week. The Depreciation Guild

I don't really remember when I came across this band. It wasn't too long ago but I heard their song Nautilus. It was the first time I really heard shoegaze mixed with 8-bit like sounds so perfectly and smoothly. It didn't sound jarring or out of place at all. Really great stuff, check out their album.

I just went through and listened to most of what was posted. Here are my responses:

@Dalnaki
I really like that tune you posted. Total dreampop magic ;D

@Rahmemhotep
Yeah man I love shoegaze. I even made an entire album in the style

@Canas
I really like the two songs you posted. I really like the 70s feel in the first one. It really stands out compared to a lot of the other shoegaze tunes posted in here

The second one was cool too. I love the lo-fi beat and vocals. It reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it.

About Deerhunter, I listened to them for a few years too. I really really enjoy their first album. The ambient tracks really make it. The second album was a bit of a departure for me, but still great stuff. I haven't really heard anything else from them since.

@AniMetal
I don't know a whole lot of the black metal shoegaze, but I recommend Jesu for the heavy detuned guitar sound.

@BananaBreadMuffin
Damn that was a cool track. I like the electronic influence in it and the distance sounding mix. Very 90s with the 909 beat.

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-05-07 00:27:15

Two great songs from albums I recently listened to

Bloodhail-Have a Nice Life

Summer Holiday-Wild Nothing

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-06-10 01:36:06

At 6/10/11 12:51 AM, Canas wrote: Helado Negro - 2º Dia

Really cool stuff. Sort of reminds me of Resplandor a bit, but with more of a electronic influence.

I've really been digging this Blackbird Blackbird remix

For some dark and heavy shoegaze stuff check out Akasa. They are relativley unknown. I oculd barely find any information on them besides a a purchase link. Amazing stuff though, too bad they have such little music. Check out Yomi and Birdsunderwaves.

Hehe seems Canas is the only one reviving my club ;)

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-06-10 01:50:41

Now I know it's not shoegaze but these guys are close with Deerhunter (last time I checked): Experimental Dental School (now known as XDS). They're the shit, seriously, even put one of their albums up for free download on the internet.

They're more art punk than anything, I'd have to say, but I figured you guys would appreciate them.

Talking about them reminds me of back when Gregory Erickson 3rd by Starfucker got onto a Target commercial. That was epic.

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-06-15 16:07:51

I realised why this club is so unpopular.

Because after listening to 3 bands from this scene you've heard everything there is.

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-06-15 21:18:23

At 6/15/11 04:07 PM, SomaGuye wrote: I realised why this club is so unpopular.

Because after listening to 3 bands from this scene you've heard everything there is.

At least it's not metal. All that stuff is screaming and dissonance.

see I can generalize too

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-06-15 23:56:41

At 6/15/11 09:18 PM, SineRider wrote:
At 6/15/11 04:07 PM, SomaGuye wrote: I realised why this club is so unpopular.

At least it's not metal. All that stuff is screaming and dissonance.

see I can generalize too

That was a good one there, Sine. Lol

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-06-16 22:06:53

Cosmonaut grechko - singin'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtKy_kutt HE

its more chillwave than dream pop or shoegaze but whatever im digging it

also thanks for these links canas they're all pretty dope, esp the latest one

BBS Signature

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-06-16 22:56:54

At 6/16/11 03:54 PM, Canas wrote: High Highs - Flowers Bloom

Damn that's beautiful. Keep the links coming, I need to go back and take some band names down to check out more.

At 6/16/11 10:06 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: its more chillwave than dream pop or shoegaze but whatever im digging it

Feel free to post whatever. I'm open to anything really, as long as it's something similar to shoegaze or dreampop.

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-06-17 16:39:39

At 6/10/11 01:50 AM, Rahmemhotep wrote: Now I know it's not shoegaze but these guys are close with Deerhunter

Fuck, shit, I meant Deerhoof. Deerhoof is the shit.

Go! Portland, Oregon experimental music movement!

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-06-17 16:45:28

At 6/17/11 04:39 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote:
At 6/10/11 01:50 AM, Rahmemhotep wrote: Now I know it's not shoegaze but these guys are close with Deerhunter
Fuck, shit, I meant Deerhoof. Deerhoof is the shit.

Go! Portland, Oregon experimental music movement!

Deer Leap

fucking deer everywhere I don't even what fuck

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-06-17 17:06:17

At 6/17/11 04:45 PM, SomaGuye wrote:
At 6/10/11 01:50 AM, Rahmemhotep wrote:
Deer Leap

Nothing says Oregon like Deer

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-06-17 17:13:02

At 6/17/11 05:06 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
Deer Leap

New Topic: Deer on album art

GO

Shoegaze & Dream Pop club

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-06-17 17:17:38

My Bloody Valentine is probably one of my favorite bands. I never really got into much shoegaze because to be completely honest most new shoegaze sucks anyways. I prefer post-rock anyways.

Facebook

"Man creates his own reality."

BBS Signature

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-06-18 08:57:20

At 6/17/11 05:13 PM, SineRider wrote:
At 6/17/11 05:06 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
Deer Leap

New Topic: Deer on album art

GO

I went off and found four but I bring two.

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-06-21 10:31:04

At 6/17/11 05:17 PM, GenocidalTendencies wrote: My Bloody Valentine is probably one of my favorite bands. I never really got into much shoegaze because to be completely honest most new shoegaze sucks anyways. I prefer post-rock anyways.

Hey, that's cool. You don't have to be a big fan of the genre. My Bloody Valentine is a great band. I also get enjoyment out of listening to Isn't Anything and Loveless. They were one of the first shoegaze bands I came across. (which is probably the same for many people)

At 6/20/11 12:15 AM, Canas wrote: Peter Bjorn & John - Amsterdam

I like a few tunes by these guys. Any albums you could reccomend? I've only heard loose tracks.

Lately I've been getting back into Oceanographer and Jesu. The newest Jesu album is pretty cool, although now sure why a lot of people didn't like it. I suppose it isn't revolutionary in anyway, but very satisfying.

Oceanographer's full length album is probably one of my favortie albums of all time. Check it out over at their website, you can stream it the entire thing.

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-06-21 18:09:20

At 6/17/11 05:17 PM, GenocidalTendencies wrote: My Bloody Valentine is probably one of my favorite bands. I never really got into much shoegaze because to be completely honest most new shoegaze sucks anyways. I prefer post-rock anyways.

I enjoyed most of the songs you have all posted here and atmospheric/experimental rock is one of the best things ever performed on Earth. I'm actually experimenting with such styles as some sound pretty intriguing and enigmatic to me, but I still don't seek melody... rather, amplifying atmospheres and layers.

Particularly, imagine Carbon Based Lifeforms fused with Buckethead's Shadows Between the Sky. Any recommendations, or bands/projects that sound like this?

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-06-30 14:25:23

heyyyyy guyyysssssss

Response to Shoegaze & Dream Pop club 2011-06-30 14:27:29

since sine is the only one posting good shoegaze/dream pop i'll join

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSQJtSizF xw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1RCVOxo gk