00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mirenamak just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread

4,100 Views | 55 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-20 20:49:14

At 2/20/11 08:32 PM, SantoNinoDeCebu wrote:
At 2/20/11 08:08 PM, Izzy-A wrote: here's our logo by the way
Logo is more impressive then the entire game!

we spent 2 and a half days on it. The actual game we started a couple hours ago

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-20 21:22:21

Hehe... so I wildly misinterpreted the amount of work I have to do today. We're going to be lucky to finish and not have the game crashing in the first few minutes :)

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-20 21:37:56

not long to gooooooooo, things are getting crazy!

BBS Signature

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-20 21:45:24

Hey guys finished up our game:

Also who finished your games, post them in Austin's thread about submissions :)

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-20 23:16:33

Well, our programmer has mysteriously gone offline for the past 2 hours right when we were about to finish the game so I don't know what's going on there. I Guess Team Peppermint won't be making the deadline for this one...

BBS Signature

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-21 00:02:01

At 2/20/11 11:16 PM, Nicholas-Deary wrote: Well, our programmer has mysteriously gone offline for the past 2 hours right when we were about to finish the game so I don't know what's going on there. I Guess Team Peppermint won't be making the deadline for this one...

Wow, that really stinks :\

Well, we're done. Lots of untested stuff, but I think I'm going to leave the rest of the work for later. Anyone think they did a good job?

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-21 00:12:17

At 2/21/11 12:02 AM, bcdefg123 wrote:
At 2/20/11 11:16 PM, Nicholas-Deary wrote: Well, our programmer has mysteriously gone offline for the past 2 hours right when we were about to finish the game so I don't know what's going on there. I Guess Team Peppermint won't be making the deadline for this one...
Wow, that really stinks :\

Well, we're done. Lots of untested stuff, but I think I'm going to leave the rest of the work for later. Anyone think they did a good job?

i think we could have done better, if we had just one more day we could have made what we have much better we had so many roadblocks and obstacles to go around to submit the game even as it now, because of communication issues, theres stuff that needs severe fixing.
im hoping theres going to be a few bearbounds (in terms of completion and success) in this jam.
well done to everyone that submitted!

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-21 00:32:41

At 2/20/11 06:59 PM, Spikrodd wrote: I accidentally took over as artist and the other two weren't happy about it :C

Gee, can't imagine why! :/

I was adopted by Team Covered in Japanese Giant Hornets!
THANKS GUYS!!! :D

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-21 00:53:45

Man the amount of bugs I'm coming across after submitting the thing!

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-21 01:21:10

By the way, is there any rule on updating the file after submission to fix bugs?
Since there was 2 glaring ones after submission I had to go fix them, there's about 1000 more though!

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-21 01:58:09

At 2/21/11 01:21 AM, SantoNinoDeCebu wrote: By the way, is there any rule on updating the file after submission to fix bugs?
Since there was 2 glaring ones after submission I had to go fix them, there's about 1000 more though!

you can edit at will

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-21 02:03:16

*phew* we got it in before midnight at least, though midnight PST instead of midnight EST

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-21 02:47:43

At 2/21/11 02:03 AM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: *phew* we got it in before midnight at least, though midnight PST instead of midnight EST

Congratulations on winning the game jam.

You can solve pretty much any problem you may have with AS3 by consulting the AS3 Language reference.

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-21 08:05:48

At 2/21/11 02:47 AM, ProfessorFlash wrote:
At 2/21/11 02:03 AM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: *phew* we got it in before midnight at least, though midnight PST instead of midnight EST

If and only if the winners are based on submission score. Going by the last Game Jam, I'd say any of the games have a good chance of winning. Personally, I'd pick a game like:
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1232 463
Over Glaiel's just because it fit the given theme perfectly, and the concept is fairly interesting (has a lot of room for further development and tweaking).

Sure, Glaiel's game was very well made, polished and fun, but it felt like the theme was built around the game to me. And, even though very well made, it's a vertical shooter with a formation mechanic that honestly didn't do much and felt gimmicky. Instead, I think it would have been better to have a not-so-polished game built around the formation mechanic.

My two cents.

BBS Signature

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-21 08:07:06

At 2/21/11 08:05 AM, Wurmy wrote:
If and only if the winners are based on submission score. Going by the last Game Jam, I'd say any of the games have a good chance of winning. Personally, I'd pick a game like:
Over Glaiel's just because it fit the given theme perfectly, and the concept is fairly interesting (has a lot of room for further development and tweaking).

Sure, Glaiel's game was very well made, polished and fun, but it felt like the theme was built around the game to me. And, even though very well made, it's a vertical shooter with a formation mechanic that honestly didn't do much and felt gimmicky. Instead, I think it would have been better to have a not-so-polished game built around the formation mechanic.

My two cents.

Sorry for double post, failed at linking the correct game.
I intended to link:

BBS Signature

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-21 08:40:17

At 2/21/11 08:05 AM, Wurmy wrote:

My two cents.

Well I posted when it was still under judgment, no idea what score it would receive. I played all the games submitted in the other thread and that game was simply in its own league. Some of the submissions (not going to name any) were pretty bad and contained critical bugs and felt like the creators didn't really bother to test their game. I'm sure many would defend themselves saying "its only 72 hours", but you can always spare 5 minutes to play through your game.

You can solve pretty much any problem you may have with AS3 by consulting the AS3 Language reference.

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-21 12:48:08

I'm so dancing right now! Process was fun and the result feels so satisfying, met cool new guys and finally got to work with Schleif, who powered up our flash incredibly brutal with his Metal. FUCK YEAH! 2 thins i can promise:
1) I'll join the next GameJam so hard it's gonna hurt
2) i'mma party!

BBS Signature

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-21 12:55:07

The giraffe game should win for its blurb in the author's comment alone!

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-21 14:18:40

At 2/21/11 12:55 PM, SantoNinoDeCebu wrote: The giraffe game should win for its blurb in the author's comment alone!

Hahaha Thanks, you're making us all blush :->

BBS Signature

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-21 15:28:35

IT WAS HARD !
WE WORKED A LOT, AND I DID SO MUCH ART AND IT WAS KIND OF ANNOYING JOB.
drawing all the time those buggs.
Problem was that we made this game in just one day, but ok we used graphics wich we made before, but those graphics were made for platformer, so we made defense game, we changed many things, and that day I felt bad because I have been working three days and I cannot think normally anymore.

GEEIM DZEM, JEJ

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-21 21:02:33

If i had a goat, i'd probably have one more goat then you. Unless you're a farmer or something...

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-21 23:25:49

At 2/21/11 09:02 PM, RainbowHorse wrote: TEAM JUNIOR's entry:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/56 2949

...this is the talk thread.

For submissions, make sure you post it here so it gets added to the collections page and all that good stuff!

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-22 01:22:05

At 2/21/11 10:12 PM, Pjorg wrote: My only complaint is once our game got front-paged it received a lot of negative attention from folks who didn't understand what it was made for.

Yeah, me and Xelu got that at the last Jam with Mechanical Ice Apocalypse. The people that only browse the front page expect your work to be of a much higher quality, and start raging at you when it isn't at that level. Do yourself a favor and edit in 'This game was made in 72 hours for the game jam' into your title screen or preloader. That fends off most of them.

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-22 01:38:54

also add screen shake and particle effects and you'll please most voters

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-22 05:47:08

and BLOOM!

Response to Unofficial Game Jam 3 Talk thread 2011-02-22 12:11:21

Cool submissions. This jam was a lot better than the last one.

Glaiel's game is my favorite so far. MUST HAVE BEEN THE SHAKING AND PARTICLES!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!