00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Metal Hell

3,056,051 Views | 77,360 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-17 18:39:39

At 10/16/11 11:48 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: At 10/16/11 11:48 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I also remember liking Niel and Jack and Me, but what's the deal with the chorus? "Niel and Jack and me, absent lovers, absent lovers". Uh, is this about a gay love triangle? Not that there's anything wrong with that (hurr Seinfeld).

It's a song written from the perspective of author Beat Jack Kerouac's car. A lot of the Beat songs are influenced by the Beat generation (Sartori in Tangier, Heartbeat named after the novel by Kerouac, etc)

:really? Beat is one of your favorite KC albums?

Yes. I love how the pop elements and progressive elements work together. It isn't too much of one or the other like Three of a Perfect Pair (which was a good album in it's own right)

Those other two are definitely among the best, but do you really like Starless more than Red and Lark's Tongues? I mean, Starless and Bible Black is absolutely amazing, even almost perfect, but I think it's still the weakest of the three Wetton era albums, while Red and Lark's Tongues in Aspic are pretty much equal in mind blowing perfection. I never hear any love for the Talking Drum, which is just so great.

Starless has two great instrumentals (even though the better one was on Red as well, quantity works here. It's also the best of Wetton's vocal outputs to me, every time I listen to "The Night Watch" , it feels ever more magical. There's some really nice surrealist influence's here and there on the album, perhaps not as much as Poseidon, but well executed nonetheless.
m

So what do you think of in the Court

Excellent, but it saddens me how it's the most well known of their releases. I do realize it was their big hit album, but theres so much more to KC man.

Poseidon

A small step up from Courts for me.

Thrak

Great release. I need to give it a second listen to be honest. I have alive CD featuring them jamming over a few tracks, Levin is fucking god on it and it has some of Fripp's best soundscaping.

Red

Great, seeing the title track played live is amazing.

Lark's Tongues

Great album, Talking Drum is my fav too.

Power to Believe

Within my top 5. I'm actually willing to say it's my second favorite.

:I think those are also among the best Crimson albums ever, along with Discipline and Starless.

Discipline is my personal favorite, and I'm sure I don't need to explain why. I'm saddens by how much Island and Reptile are overlooked, when they actually are pretty damn good.

high five! They're like the best band ever. Even their worst stuff is still at least decent. I've been meaning to check out the Construkction of Light. I'm pretty sure that's how they spell it, probably because their name can be initialized as "KC", so, the ConstruKCion of Light.

You are correct. By all means check it out. It's a good album, and really has a sense of magic to it. At the very least check out the title track, preferably the Live in 2003 Japan version.

I've also never checked out those Projekct albums.

I've only heard one, and it was pretty damn good. I should check it out more too.

post-punk? I don't hear it. But yeah, it's great. I just wish Levin used that Chapman stick even more. It sounds sick on songs like Elephant Talk and Frame by Frame.

By post-punk I just mean some of the less commercial aspects of what was at the time New Wave. I agree, but you gotta give Trey and his Warr some credit too. The way he taps n' slides sounds robotic, and he really has a good technique down.

The only thing about Adrian Belew era KC is that synth guitar Belew's got going on that sounds like some weird high pitched squeaking. It doesn't sound right.

I think it's one of the defining feature of the music. I always loved hearing Belew go spastic all over Fripp's (need I say fucking difficult, Frame by Frame makes my fingers fall off) arpeggios. Two perfect contradictions.

I think Belew's solo stuff is hit and miss. Some stuff is good, some not so much.

He's way better live. He's a really fun guy.

And the only album of Levin's solo work I've heard is Resonator, which has some cool stuff and some not so cool stuff. I definitely like Break it Down and his cover of the Sabre Dance. However, he's not that good of a vocalist and sometimes he tries to do things with his voice that just don't work.

Check out his latest album, all instrumental, really good tribal like-drumming, heavy moments, soft moments, ambient soundscapes, all you could ever want.

I saw the Three of a Perfect Trio Gig not too long back. I got to see Levin play Stravinsky's Firebired ballet in it's entirety, Belew wipe his face every 5 seconds (he was good though), and see Discipline played nearly in full, along with some Thrak and Red. They (Levin) also played a really rockin' cover of Fripps latest material. Good shit.

I have one album from him, which is Exposure. I haven't listened to it much and I don't remember a lot in particular, but I remember thinking it was pretty good.

That's a good album, but I suggest you check out more. I can't make specific suggestions because, well, it's all good. Of the KC solo projects, I like his the best.

He's a fantastic, unique guitarist, though, so I intend to listen to more of his stuff. I know he's also collaborated with Brian Eno, which is very cool.

Fripp is my absolute favorite guitarist. A free and creative yet strict and structured genius. He's a really big influence on the way I play guitar.

Also, didn't Les Claypool do guest bass for one of Belew's songs?

I think so, can't remember the specific track, though.

Have you ever listened to Bill Bruford's band? It's quite good.

I haven't heard much, but of what I did, it was excellent. He is kinda the guy who introduced me to jazz and polyrhythms.

Also, batman, it's good to see you suggested Parliment/Funkadelic, seeing as I forgot to. Really ignored by Prog lovers for the same reasons they love Prog.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-17 22:07:10

At 10/17/11 12:30 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 10/17/11 10:15 AM, Anti-pie wrote: Yeah they are death metal. Its the name of the band before it changed to Deicide and yes the lyrics in my sig are Acid Bath lyrics from Cheap Vodka.

:Also, I looked a bit into Deicide and I'm not sure I'll be liking their stuff. I'm not offended by antichrist type stuff anymore (I was a bit when I was younger) but it does still put me off a bit when it's so prevalent that it seems dogmatic. This dude burned a freaking inverted cross into his forehead, wrote a song called "Death to Jesus" and has an album cover of a...well rotting christ. And I happen to love a band called Rotting Christ. This is just too much, though, and this is coming from an anti-theist.

Yeah I know what you mean. In fact that's why Deicide is getting old to me. All their albums are based on the same thing being Satan and anti-christian themed lyrics and it's just getting kinda old. That why I usually listen to it just for the music quality although some Deicide releases are pretty mediocre. To Hell With God isn't really terrible it's just kinda bland. Stench Of Redemption was a great release that I thought was gonna bring Deicide back after Scars, Torment, and Insineratehymn. But then Till Death Do us Part came out.... well at least they tried for a come back.

You really shouldn't let the lyrics be a reason to not listen to a band. Even though death metal bands and black metal bands seem to love going into the hate God, fuck Jesus, rape the virgin mary lyrics even though to be honest the first Death Metal band being Possessed and the first Black Metal band being Venom so I guess you can see how anti-religion is a big part of both genres.

We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.

Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-18 00:52:44

So I'm being a dick and I'm not quoting anyone. Just dropping by to say I've listenned to Sleep's Dopesmoker, and I thought it was an awesome listen :) And I'm getting into an amazing Power Metal band named Labyrinth (from Italy). I got their album Return to Heaven Denied, released in 1998. It's an amzing record, check it out :)

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-18 00:59:53

At 10/18/11 12:52 AM, HeavenDuff wrote:

:) And I'm getting into an amazing Power Metal band named Labyrinth (from Italy). I got their album Return to Heaven Denied, released in 1998. It's an amzing record, check it out :)

Not until you quote me.

We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.

Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-18 03:59:41

At 10/18/11 12:59 AM, Anti-pie wrote: Not until you quote me.

Fuck you! I won't! Oh wait...

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-18 06:15:41

At 10/18/11 12:52 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: So I'm being a dick and I'm not quoting anyone. Just dropping by to say I've listenned to Sleep's Dopesmoker, and I thought it was an awesome listen :)

Really? ...wut?

Dopesmoker is the one thing by Sleep that I absolutely can't stand. haha

And I'm getting into an amazing Power Metal band named Labyrinth (from Italy). I got their album Return to Heaven Denied, released in 1998. It's an amzing record, check it out :)

Labyrinth are pretty cool. I don't like how since their formation they've only ever played one show in the united states ever, and that was last month at progpower

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-18 07:00:59

At 10/17/11 10:34 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 10/17/11 07:28 AM, Bahamut wrote: Savage Circus are this week's feature!
hah. I remember SOAS raving about them.

And it comes back once more. Admittedly, this one was a filler but the rest of the posts will be good.

At 10/17/11 03:51 PM, Rummy0 wrote:
At 10/14/11 08:08 AM, Bahamut wrote: I just read that Candlemass are going to record one more album and then they'll be on their farewell tour.
;___:

And yet your thread mood never changes.

At 10/18/11 12:52 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: And I'm getting into an amazing Power Metal band named Labyrinth (from Italy). I got their album Return to Heaven Denied, released in 1998. It's an amzing record, check it out :)

I saw them live as a support act for Sonata Arctica in March. Not a favourite of mine but they do have some good tunes. I should probably listen to Return to Heaven Denied. I've only heard No Limits and Return to Heaven Denied Pt II.

At 10/18/11 03:59 AM, batman64 wrote: Knew you and others mentioned em before but never found time to hear em til you posted the link.
Damn good cover, damn good band...Thanks.

Good to hear you're digging them. I don't know which ones you heard but if it helps, I've made a spinoff series covering Manilla Road songs (one song from each album) as part of Monday Metal Treasures. All the songs I've talked about so far are easily some of their finest material. I do have the intention to get the rest up before the year ends.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-18 13:27:31

This Galar song is sounding pretty good. I've never heard of them before.

At 10/17/11 05:31 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: Was fears of the the french black and white movie?

Yep, and it was pretty cool.

It's always annoyed me when bands go too far with the whole anti religion thing. I can't help but sigh every time I see a " jesus is a cunt " shirt by cradle of filth. You could at least be more subtle with it.

Yeah, I understand the anti-religion thing, but not crap like that.

At 10/17/11 06:39 PM, Tobi wrote:
Thrak
Great release. I need to give it a second listen to be honest.

One Time and Walking on Air are sweet songs.

At 10/17/11 10:07 PM, Anti-pie wrote: You really shouldn't let the lyrics be a reason to not listen to a band.

I'm cool with a bit of sacrilege and such, but not at that level. It's off-putting. The whole Satan thing is fine with me, though.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-18 13:27:57

Exivious - Instrumental prog metal band containing members of the bands Textures and Cynic.

Fans of Blotted Science will like this band.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-18 15:24:37

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-18 16:51:47

Deicide is lame and Glen Benton is an idiot. If he hates Christianity so much, he shouldn't worship Satan and shit because Satan is part of Christianity. Can't have a religion without a villain or scapegoat.

Also, R.I.P. Siege vocalist.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-18 19:35:04

I've never heard of Exivious, but that sounded good

anybody heard this?

I'm also liking Christian Muenzner's solo work.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-18 21:32:03

At 10/18/11 01:27 PM, JaY11 wrote: Exivious - Instrumental prog metal band containing members of the bands Textures and Cynic.

Fans of Blotted Science will like this band.

I've known this band for a little while :) They are pretty good. I was looking for something similar to Cynic, Aghora and the likes. I ended up picking one of their albums and a Sean Malone album. No dissapointment from both. Awesome projects, both of them :)

At 10/18/11 01:27 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 10/17/11 05:31 PM, TheSporkLord wrote:
It's always annoyed me when bands go too far with the whole anti religion thing. I can't help but sigh every time I see a " jesus is a cunt " shirt by cradle of filth. You could at least be more subtle with it.
Yeah, I understand the anti-religion thing, but not crap like that.

Haha! And what about the band Infernal Stronghold?

At 10/18/11 07:00 AM, Bahamut wrote: I saw them live as a support act for Sonata Arctica in March. Not a favourite of mine but they do have some good tunes. I should probably listen to Return to Heaven Denied. I've only heard No Limits and Return to Heaven Denied Pt II.

On Metal Archives, the album with the best average rating is Return to Heaven Denied. I still didn't listen to any other albums, so I don't know if their whole discography shares the same quality level with this one album. I will eventually look into more of their stuff, but not now. I have a ton of bands and albums to discover.

At 10/18/11 06:15 AM, AniMetal wrote: Dopesmoker is the one thing by Sleep that I absolutely can't stand. haha

The album is so bluesy and soooo what I expect of a good stoner metal band. It's awesome !

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-19 06:02:22

Exivious are fucking amazing.

Everyone in this club should check out them, Cynic, Gordian Knot, Obscura, Atheist, Aghora, Revocation, Spastic Ink, Counter-World Experience, Panzerballet, Aghora, Gorod, Augury, etc.

All insanely awesome jazzie-proggie bands of the "more extreme" type. ;D

Also... i've never listened to Deicide before. They're probably the only well-known oldschool death metal bands i've never listened to. Any albums I should check out?

At 10/18/11 09:32 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: The album is so bluesy and soooo what I expect of a good stoner metal band. It's awesome !

You don't expect much from stoner / metal bands then.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-19 07:15:39

So, they just put out the second announcement for Soundwave 2012. Mostly meh, except for one little gem that got me REALLY excited...

BAD RELIGION
STRUNG OUT
STAIND
WEDNESDAY 13
UNEARTH
THE PRETTY RECKLESS
CATHEDRAL
SHADOWS FALL
TONIGHT ALIVE
MOTIONLESS IN WHITE
BREAK EVEN
HEAVEN SHALL BURN
YOUR DEMISE
A ROCKET TO THE MOON
THE READY SET
THE MENZINGERS
DREAM ON DREAMER
KITTIE
DREDG
ATTACK! ATTACK!
THE SMOKING HEARTS
THE SUMMER SET

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-19 07:35:25

Bill, I gave the original DOA song by Bloodrock a listen and I quite like it. Hopefully they have more good tunes to hear.

At 10/18/11 04:51 PM, Dalnaki wrote: Deicide is lame and Glen Benton is an idiot. If he hates Christianity so much, he shouldn't worship Satan and shit because Satan is part of Christianity. Can't have a religion without a villain or scapegoat.

Oh man, that's a quote I'll need to use later on in the future. I've always laughed at the thought of taking Satanism seriously.

At 10/19/11 06:02 AM, AniMetal wrote: Also... i've never listened to Deicide before. They're probably the only well-known oldschool death metal bands i've never listened to. Any albums I should check out?

Self-titled has its moments.

At 10/19/11 07:15 AM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: So, they just put out the second announcement for Soundwave 2012. Mostly meh, except for one little gem that got me REALLY excited...

CATHEDRAL

Dammit, their last show is meant to be in London this December.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-19 16:49:38

At 10/19/11 06:02 AM, AniMetal wrote: Also... i've never listened to Deicide before. They're probably the only well-known oldschool death metal bands i've never listened to. Any albums I should check out?

Ummm....they're pretty average. Their first three albums are all fairly good, nothing really outstanding. If you want to listen to popular old school death metal, stick with Death, Morbid Angel, and Obituary. Those are the only three out of that scene who I still consistently listen to.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!

Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-19 16:54:42

At 10/19/11 04:49 PM, Zodir wrote: Ummm....they're pretty average. Their first three albums are all fairly good, nothing really outstanding.

Will check them out, regardless.

If you want to listen to popular old school death metal, stick with Death, Morbid Angel, and Obituary. Those are the only three out of that scene who I still consistently listen to.

Know and love all three. I'm also a huge fan of Sepultura, Malevolent Creation, Possessed, Cynic, Atheist, etc.

At 10/19/11 07:15 AM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: So, they just put out the second announcement for Soundwave 2012. Mostly meh, except for one little gem that got me REALLY excited...

Of those confirmed bands, CATHEDRAL is the one whom excites you?

Apparently you don't know the awesomeness that is Bad Religion and Staind.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-19 17:11:21

S, I picked up Rhapsody of Fire's new album today. All I have to say is......HOLY SHIT! It's amazing. Definitely in the running for top 10 albums of the year for me. It's the best power metal release I've heard in a while.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-19 17:16:44

At 10/19/11 05:11 PM, Zodir wrote: S, I picked up Rhapsody of Fire's new album today. All I have to say is......HOLY SHIT! It's amazing. Definitely in the running for top 10 albums of the year for me. It's the best power metal release I've heard in a while.

To me, it's a step down from The Frozen Tears of Angels but one cannot deny the awesomeness of Heroes of the Waterfalls' Kingdom.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-19 17:16:46

At 10/19/11 06:02 AM, AniMetal wrote: Exivious are fucking amazing.

Everyone in this club should check out them, Cynic, Gordian Knot, Obscura, Atheist, Aghora, Revocation, Spastic Ink, Counter-World Experience, Panzerballet, Aghora, Gorod, Augury, etc.

I already know of Cynic, Gordian Knot, Obscura, Aghora, Spastic Ink, Gorod and Augury. Most of them are awesome bands. I don't really enjoy bands like Obscura and Augury, though. It's not that I hate the mix of Death Metal with jazzy or prog elements. I just find these bands to be rather forgettable when it comes to song-writting. They play a brand of Death Metal that is way too focused on the lead melody for my taste. It's not melodic death-like melodic, but it still doesn't suit my taste. I don't hate what they do, though. I think they are respectable bands.

On the other hand, I love Cynic, Spastic Ink and Aghora. These bands are fantastic. Each one of these have their very own sound, unique production, awesome song-writting (especially Spastic Ink and Cynic, because Aghora isn't quite on par with those when it comes to the guitar riffs). Talking bout Aghora I suggest everybody who likes them to listen to Sean Malone's solo project. It's a treat for the ears.

I still need to listen to the other bands you mentionned. I remember listenning to Atheist back when I was 17 or 18. I didn't like it back then, but I think I might appreciate what they do better now.

At 10/18/11 09:32 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: The album is so bluesy and soooo what I expect of a good stoner metal band. It's awesome !
You don't expect much from stoner / metal bands then.

Lol, shut the fuck up. I don't know what makes you think that you can judge me without even trying to understand why I'm enjoying their stuff. Seriously... quit criticizing if you don't even when to keep and open-mind.

The music is simple, yet effective. The ambience and the production is what got me to appreciate the whole thing. I love it because it's calm and there is a focus on the blues elements of the stoner genre. It's enjoyable for me. But hey, since you're the best in here, why don't you tell me and Bill why we suck so much for liking this? And maybe you could tell me what I should listen to to be cooler.

See, you should drop that contemptuous behavior of yours. And not just when you talk to me. You remind me of the teenagers who were always looking for a fight in high school whenever you write such a mindless and openly demeaning.

At 10/19/11 07:15 AM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: WEDNESDAY 13
UNEARTH
KITTIE
ATTACK! ATTACK!

Damn! There are some great acts on that festival!

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-19 17:40:52

At 10/19/11 05:16 PM, Bahamut wrote:
At 10/19/11 05:11 PM, Zodir wrote: S, I picked up Rhapsody of Fire's new album today. All I have to say is......HOLY SHIT! It's amazing. Definitely in the running for top 10 albums of the year for me. It's the best power metal release I've heard in a while.
To me, it's a step down from The Frozen Tears of Angels but one cannot deny the awesomeness of Heroes of the Waterfalls' Kingdom.

I honestly think their last two albums have been their best. I was pleasantly surprised by them both, actually. After Triumph or Agony I wasn't expecting anything special.

So,
here are some previews for all the songs on the Metallica/Lou Reed Lulu thing. It's...uh, weird? The music is good, I suppose, but Reed's singing style doesn't fit the music at all.

My PSN: Obilisk745

"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."

Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-19 17:58:34

I wasn't aware any of Rhapsody's newer albums were worth the time, I will check them out. haha

At 10/19/11 05:16 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: I still need to listen to the other bands you mentionned. I remember listenning to Atheist back when I was 17 or 18. I didn't like it back then, but I think I might appreciate what they do better now.

As far as i'm concerned, Individual Thought Patterns aside, Atheist is an even BETTER Death.

So definitely worth your time.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-19 18:38:29

At 10/19/11 05:58 PM, AniMetal wrote: As far as i'm concerned, Individual Thought Patterns aside, Atheist is an even BETTER Death.

So definitely worth your time.

I guess you wouldn't recommand to start with their 2010 release, right? :P
I'll start with Piece Of Time or Unquestionable Presence.

And while we are at it. What do you think of their most recent work? I mean, they didn't release a full-lenght album in 17 years before their most recent one, Jupiter. Are they still anything like what they used to be?

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-19 18:45:44

Jupiter is a great album, but it's totally different.

The new album sounds like they've been heavily influenced by Dying Fetus, Suffocation, Necrophagist, Obscura, The Faceless, etc, etc.

Which is good in theory, but not in reality. Especially considering all those bands were influenced by Atheist in the first place.

So the album sounds heavily influenced by bands that were heavily influenced by Atheist in the first place. I.E. quite saturated.

It's still a great album though.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-19 20:14:51

At 10/17/11 10:07 PM, Anti-pie wrote: Yeah I know what you mean. In fact that's why Deicide is getting old to me. All their albums are based on the same thing being Satan and anti-christian themed lyrics and it's just getting kinda old. That why I usually listen to it just for the music quality although some Deicide releases are pretty mediocre. To Hell With God isn't really terrible it's just kinda bland. Stench Of Redemption was a great release that I thought was gonna bring Deicide back after Scars, Torment, and Insineratehymn. But then Till Death Do us Part came out.... well at least they tried for a come back.
You really shouldn't let the lyrics be a reason to not listen to a band. Even though death metal bands and black metal bands seem to love going into the hate God, fuck Jesus, rape the virgin mary lyrics even though to be honest the first Death Metal band being Possessed and the first Black Metal band being Venom so I guess you can see how anti-religion is a big part of both genres.

I love the theme of Deicide, I really do. It's great stuff to listen to when you're frustrated with the world, and all those dickhead Christians out there. However, I was never a huge fan of Deicide just because their music is sort of mediocre. I'm not saying it's bad, it's good. But why would I waste my time with them if there's SO many better death metal bands out there? They are overrated if you ask me.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-19 21:28:01

At 10/19/11 08:14 PM, mothballs wrote:
At 10/17/11 10:07 PM, Anti-pie wrote: Yeah I know what you mean. In fact that's why Deicide is getting old to me. All their albums are based on the same thing being Satan and anti-christian themed lyrics and it's just getting kinda old. That why I usually listen to it just for the music quality although some Deicide releases are pretty mediocre. To Hell With God isn't really terrible it's just kinda bland. Stench Of Redemption was a great release that I thought was gonna bring Deicide back after Scars, Torment, and Insineratehymn. But then Till Death Do us Part came out.... well at least they tried for a come back.
I love the theme of Deicide, I really do. It's great stuff to listen to when you're frustrated with the world, and all those dickhead Christians out there. However, I was never a huge fan of Deicide just because their music is sort of mediocre. I'm not saying it's bad, it's good. But why would I waste my time with them if there's SO many better death metal bands out there? They are overrated if you ask me.

While I don't mind anti-Christian lyrics to a point, Deicide just takes it way too far. They are one of the few bands where the lyrics actually bother me. Mostly because it is so over the top and actually gets into the offensive territory. That's the one thing that makes it hard to be a Catholic and listen to good metal. So much of it attacks my religion. Hence why I tend to avoid those Deicide worshipping bands and a lot of black metal. One, because they focus too much on their lyrics to get them sold instead of their music, which is what I listen for. I will listen to any band almost regardless of their lyrics if their music is good. Unfortunately, most of these bands make it next to impossible to do that.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-19 22:27:21

At 10/19/11 06:38 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: And while we are at it. What do you think of their most recent work? I mean, they didn't release a full-lenght album in 17 years before their most recent one, Jupiter. Are they still anything like what they used to be?

I personal found pretty mediocre. They focused way too much on technicality, and so little on the actual song writing. Everything is all over the place, solo here, interchanging time sig there, but none of it ever seems to amount to that great a song, and the vocals just plain don't fit in. It's also notably less jazzy than the previous albums. The only tracks I find that great are Fraudulent Cloth and Fictitious Glide. With the the other albums widely available for purchase and/or online listening, I'd say you're better off just listening to the older stuff, though giving it a try wouldn't hurt.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-20 01:55:19

At 10/19/11 10:27 PM, Tobi wrote: At 10/19/11 06:38 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:: I personal found pretty mediocre. They focused way too much on technicality, and so little on the actual song writing. Everything is all over the place, solo here, interchanging time sig there, but none of it ever seems to amount to that great a song, and the vocals just plain don't fit in. It's also notably less jazzy than the previous albums. The only tracks I find that great are Fraudulent Cloth and Fictitious Glide. With the the other albums widely available for purchase and/or online listening, I'd say you're better off just listening to the older stuff, though giving it a try wouldn't hurt.

Considering both AniMetal's opinion and yours I will most likely start with the classics and then, if I enjoy what I'm hearing, I will make my own opinion on their most recent stuff :)

Response to Metal Hell 2011-10-20 06:08:37

I haven't heard the other two albums, but Unquestionable Presence and Piece of Time are both among the best death metal albums I've heard.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature