00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NisoXD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Metal Hell

3,057,369 Views | 77,360 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-02 08:11:53

At 9/1/11 04:33 PM, AniMetal wrote: I saw Kamelot, Alestorm, Blackguard and The Agonist last night!

What the fuck is this? You enjoyed Alestorm?

At 9/1/11 07:35 AM, Bahamut wrote: Of course, you all will recommend more stuff from them but hopefully Sailing the Seas of Cheese is a good starting point. I love how as soon as I check them out they happen to have a new album coming out shortly.
I wouldn't have recommended any other Primus album to start with. :D

Then I'm settled.

At 9/1/11 05:25 PM, greensucksbluerules wrote:
At 9/1/11 07:35 AM, Bahamut wrote: I actually looked up these guys the other week after hearing Jerry Was A Race Car Driver on a flash movie.
Was it this movie?

No, it was this:

Nothing good, though. Well, the movie, that is.

I recommend starting with Frizzle Fry. That has some awesome tracks, including a song Korn stole the riff from.

That'll be the second album in mind.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-02 14:07:20

At 9/2/11 08:11 AM, Bahamut wrote: What the fuck is this? You enjoyed Alestorm?

Indeed! My problem with Alestorm isn't the music to be honest. My problem is that they have 75K fans on facebook, their music videos on youtube have millions of views, etc.

I just feel that they are WAY more popular then they should be, whereas legitimate power metal bands sometime only have hundreds of fans when they should have more. So it's more of a "Why alestorm?" in my book.

They're still great as fuck live though. EVERYONE ELSE CHECK OUT MY REVIEW. ;)

Kamelot - Elizabeth (live video, full version)

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-02 17:13:55

So, I'm back after a long absence due to computer and family issues. Mayhem about 3 weeks ago was kick ass. Almost got cancelled due to tornado. Megadeth stole the show. I got stuck in some crazy mosh pits, and In Flames weren't there because one of the band members had a death in the family, so they flew back to Sweden. So what's happened in the 3 weeks I haven't been around?

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!

Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-02 21:28:32

New Opeth album has leaked

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-03 00:03:41

At 9/2/11 09:28 PM, JaY11 wrote: New Opeth album has leaked

Don't listen to albums when they're leaked early. Even if you plan on stealing an album, at least have the common curtsy to not be a dick and wait for the album to officially be released.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-03 00:14:05

Has anyone heard the new Leviathan stuff?

It's pretty cool

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-03 05:50:17

At 9/2/11 02:07 PM, AniMetal wrote:
At 9/2/11 08:11 AM, Bahamut wrote: What the fuck is this? You enjoyed Alestorm?
Indeed! My problem with Alestorm isn't the music to be honest. My problem is that they have 75K fans on facebook, their music videos on youtube have millions of views, etc.

I see what you mean. Popularity isn't much of an issue for me these days. I know too many bands that have so little fans and it's clear other artists whether they be metal, pop or whatever will have more recognition than them. It sucks but that's what music is like. :(

I just feel that they are WAY more popular then they should be, whereas legitimate power metal bands sometime only have hundreds of fans when they should have more. So it's more of a "Why alestorm?" in my book.

Mind giving us a few examples? Not to question what you think of Alestorm but I'd like to know who are those "only having hundreds of fans".

They're still great as fuck live though. EVERYONE ELSE CHECK OUT MY REVIEW. ;)

I was going to see them at Heidenfest but due to conflicts with other plans, I'll have to sit out this year. I was mainly wanting to see Turisas, Alestorm and Finntroll. Turisas have a show in Manchester in November whereas Alestorm and Finntroll will definitely make many more appearances sometime in the near future. If London had Wintersun playing as a special guest, I would have prioritised Heidenfest over the upcoming trip to Paris.

At 9/3/11 12:03 AM, AniMetal wrote:
At 9/2/11 09:28 PM, JaY11 wrote: New Opeth album has leaked
Don't listen to albums when they're leaked early. Even if you plan on stealing an album, at least have the common curtsy to not be a dick and wait for the album to officially be released.

I'd download the leak only to make sure the album is good and so I won't be giving my sister a shitty album for her birthday. Not saying the album sucks but I'd like to make sure it's all good. Wouldn't it suck if your birthday was in June and you were given Morbid Angel's latest abomination as a present?

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-03 16:19:09

At 8/29/11 01:49 AM, HeavenDuff wrote:
When I don't know anything about the subject, I don't say a word or try to learn from others. When I know the matter we are discussing, I state my point of view and opinions.

So even though this is rooted strongly in guitar and you don't play guitar, you feel the need to talk about it as if you actually knew what you were talking about.

That's still dumb... I can't play Amon Amarth riffs, because I don't play the guitar. I can still very easily tell the difference between a simplistic riff like what Uneath writes and a Blotted Science or Pink Floyd riff.

What blotted science does isn't hard. Maybe to someone who just started playing guitar or someone who desn't play at all. It took me maybe 2-3 hours to learn to sweep. At a certain point it just gets horribly easy. I find Blotted Science to be simplistic, as you would say.

Dumb... But for the records, I played saxophone, bass and did the vocals for a band.

I've done vocals for bands as well. I don't want to say I play an actual bass, but I've played bass. But that's why I don't judge bassists, because I don't play bass.

No, I won't dude. I already stated and explainned you how stupid your statement is. If I played for you, you would most likely just say I suck. And even if I didn't you would say I can't understand anything that is more complex than what I can play. I'm not falling for this, because your argument is plain wrong. I'm sorry.

I would never judge an argument based on how good/bad a person is at whatever they do. I've listened to SomaGuy's music and even gobbble's random noises and I think nothing less of them. Hell, you could easily check my music, albeit you would only find a 20 second sample of a song and a heavy sattire of HXC music.

No. There is no difference. I don't play guitar, but still, when I listenned to The March by Unearth, I could tell exactly when they would throw in what kind of riff, break it down, start the chug-chug riff, start singing, switch to clean vocals, throw in the chorus and more. This is why I can tell if some music is simplistic and mediocre and if other music isn't. That's called, knowing how to listen to music and understanding it.

My god, you could tell what they were doing WHILE they were doing it? Honestly, I could say the SAME thing for just about every other band we listen to. I can do the same thing with Death, but that doesn't mean death is bad or mediocre.

That's exactly what you fucking do! Are you that god damn thick headed?
You fail to understand. I never claimed your argument was wrong because of your personnality, your knowledge, your age, or anything that makes you who you are. I said your argument was dumb, not that you didn't knew shit about music and that you were just a fucking silly prick. But that's what you do, constantly.

So saying I have my head stuck up my ass isn't an attack on me?

You don't understand Ad Hominem, at all.

Above post.

Everybody in here, is telling you right now, that your argument is stupid. You can't pretend one needs to be a musician to understand music. You can't and I explainned why. Now stop. This is pointless, and still you never EVER adressed this argument with solid arguments to proove that one needs to be a musician to understand music. EVER.

To feel, or experience music, Indeed you don't need to be a musician. What you describe isn't understanding music, it's anticipating music.

Proove it.

Link farther below.

They have simplistic chug-chug riffs between their pointless sweeping parts. No riffs most of the time. Not even half of their song even include some kind of original song-writting. It's always the same formula. Origin is different.

So they have chug chug RIFFS whilst not having RIFFS most of the time? That makes sense, a riff is a riff. This is origin minus the chug chug part. Boring tremolo picking and then sweeps. The reason I consider Origin simplistic? Lack of any technicality, and uninspired " riffs ". It's like slayer-angel of death. The intro " riff ". Just picking on the low E, and then of course accompanied by tremolo picking wth an F.

Maybe it's not working for you, but they are definitely original and unique. Just proove me, with some kind of support, that they aren't.

Link farther below.

Your idea of technical and my idea of technical are quite different. Origin is hardly technical to me.
Ouch...

Not even really an attack on origin, but an attack on all " tech death " bands. It's not really technical. Now classical guitarists, that shit will blow your mind.

Quite honestly, Obscura > origin. Origin are actually more technical than obscura. Obscura can actually right good rhythms.
They write a brand of Tech Death I don't like, because they focus way too much on the lead guitars. I don't want another brand of melodeath disguised as tech death. I want real Death Metal, with technical riffs. That's Origin.

Not technical riffs. It may sound technical to you, but then again you don't play guitar. See my point here? How something sounds=/= how it really is.

And by slower, you mean 16th notes.
Does it matter? Amon Amarth can play more notes than this in one riff. Tech Death is not just about playing fast, it's about writting technical riffs.

And yet those riffs are never technical. Seriously they're not. I've played tech death, its not hard.

See? You seem to believe that Origin focus on lead guitars. Did you ever listen to any Origin album? Like EVER ??? Or did you just listen to one track and decided they suck? No, I'm sorry... Origin focus way more on rhythm guitars.

No they really don't, sorry to say. It's this way with every tech death band. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRb0C2ims T0 What do you call this? This is wank. Straight 32nd/16th notes.

At 8/28/11 09:45 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 8/27/11 12:06 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: The man who doesn't play an instrument can definitely say they are lacking in skill. Yep.
Now also everybody told him so. Dalnaki, Tobi, Sense and I... I doubt he will ever understand this...

God, you don't have to be a musician to from an OPINION of music.

At 8/27/11 05:58 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: I suppose I also don't need to be a quantum physicist to judge an actual physicist's theories?
Now you're just being silly. You can't be serious.
Told him so...

Mozart was a terrible musician and his music was awfully simple.

I've bitched against Obscura, but I shouldn't have. They are pretty good. I like the bass, but maybe their sound just isn't my thing. Too melodic for my taste. I like Tech Death like Origin and Fleshgod Apocalypse.

Alright, but like I said, origin, along with every other tech death band isn't technical.

. If I didn't know shit about music, why would I enjoy such a large variety of different artists and musical genres? Just why?

Because of opinions. Jesus christ I JUST said people like brokencyde for some reason. According to you they know nothing of music and yet still listen to them. You can listen to as much music as you like, it doesn't mean you know anything about it.

Yes, you can enjoy low quality stuff. When I eat at McDonalds, I enjoy eating McNuggets and a Big Mac. Does that mean I can't tell the difference between a 4 stars chief's food and McDonalds food? Of fucking course Not.

You would have had to actually tasted said 4 star chef's cooking first.

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-03 16:50:50

At 8/29/11 08:50 AM, Bahamut wrote:
To back up that claim: Roger fucking Ebert. He's one of the most well known critics yet he hasn't made a single film himself. I actually admire that since it shows you don't need to be an expert at songwriting to review an album. I have no intentions to be in a band or anything but I do want to review many albums from heavy metal.

Most of the time people use logic or reasoning to judge movies. Plot holes for example. I don't need to write a movie to know a plot hole when I see one because I can use rational thinking to point them out. Music however, there is no way around it.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-03 18:30:15

At 9/3/11 04:19 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: I've done vocals for bands as well. I don't want to say I play an actual bass, but I've played bass. But that's why I don't judge bassists, because I don't play bass.

Well, shit. According to you, every album review I've written is obsolete. Cuz since I don't really play music that often (I've had about 2 years of lessons a while ago, but none recently) I can't judge whether it's any good or not. Well I've wasted a significant amount of time writing all those reviews.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-03 18:38:50

At 9/3/11 06:30 PM, Zodir wrote:
At 9/3/11 04:19 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: I've done vocals for bands as well. I don't want to say I play an actual bass, but I've played bass. But that's why I don't judge bassists, because I don't play bass.
Well, shit. According to you, every album review I've written is obsolete. Cuz since I don't really play music that often (I've had about 2 years of lessons a while ago, but none recently) I can't judge whether it's any good or not. Well I've wasted a significant amount of time writing all those reviews.

Opinions mang, but honestly what could some random person say who doesn't understand music? I liked it, it sounded good to me. I thought it was complex even though I don't play whatever I thought was complex.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-03 18:48:47

At 9/3/11 06:38 PM, TheSporkLord wrote:
At 9/3/11 06:30 PM, Zodir wrote:
Opinions mang, but honestly what could some random person say who doesn't understand music? I liked it, it sounded good to me. I thought it was complex even though I don't play whatever I thought was complex.

So, let me make sure I got this, according to you, a person can't have a valid opinion on something unless they have intimate knowlege of it?

...I'm sorry, that is probably one of the dumbest things I've heard in a long time. Everyone can have an opinion. You can choose to ignore it or acknowledge it, but it's there and it's valid. It might not be an INFORMED opinion, but it is still 100% valid.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-03 18:51:16

At 9/3/11 06:48 PM, Zodir wrote:
So, let me make sure I got this, according to you, a person can't have a valid opinion on something unless they have intimate knowlege of it?

No, that's not what I said.

...I'm sorry, that is probably one of the dumbest things I've heard in a long time.

Yeah, you misunderstood me.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-03 19:04:01

At 9/3/11 06:51 PM, TheSporkLord wrote:

I'm quoting you here "honestly what could some random person say who doesn't understand music?" You're saying that they really can't say anything valid.

...I'm sorry, that is probably one of the dumbest things I've heard in a long time.
Yeah, you misunderstood me.

If I did, I don't really see how else to interpret that. Maybe you should try being a little clearer?

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-03 19:06:23

At 9/3/11 07:04 PM, Zodir wrote:
I'm quoting you here "honestly what could some random person say who doesn't understand music?" You're saying that they really can't say anything valid.

I've said in other posts you don't need to be a musician to form an opinion of music, smae goes for any other thing.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-03 19:15:29

At 9/3/11 04:19 PM, TheSporkLord wrote:
So even though this is rooted strongly in guitar and you don't play guitar, you feel the need to talk about it as if you actually knew what you were talking about.

I know guitar, played instruments, learned quite a lot of things about techniques and the theory. I know what I'm talking about. Unless you can support your point with real arguments, I suggest you stop.

What blotted science does isn't hard. Maybe to someone who just started playing guitar or someone who desn't play at all. It took me maybe 2-3 hours to learn to sweep. At a certain point it just gets horribly easy. I find Blotted Science to be simplistic, as you would say.

That is untrue. It is technical, no matter how much you played guitar. Relatively at least. Compared to other guitarists. I'm not talking technique and the sole act of playing the riff, but writting it. It's not like writting and AC/DC riff, and you know it.

I've done vocals for bands as well. I don't want to say I play an actual bass, but I've played bass. But that's why I don't judge bassists, because I don't play bass.

Again, we are not talking pure technique and instrument theory, but what it really is in the music. I love bassists like Les Claypool, Erlend Caspersen, Webster and other artists who play not just technical riffs (that I can explain, you know), but music with great feel, great composition... uniqueness, personnality. If you want to brake it to "just" the actual E to A, than A to C. Than you fail to get the point of music.

My god, you could tell what they were doing WHILE they were doing it? Honestly, I could say the SAME thing for just about every other band we listen to. I can do the same thing with Death, but that doesn't mean death is bad or mediocre.

No dude, I could tell what was coming next, when the singer would jump in, when they would do a breakdown. It was predictable.

Well, after we all explained you why you can't use the "you need to be a musician to understand music" argument, and that you kept using it without further explanations or good arguments to support your point, yes... I could tell you had your head stuck up your ass...

To feel, or experience music, Indeed you don't need to be a musician. What you describe isn't understanding music, it's anticipating music.

Dude, I understand music. Otherwise I wouldn't be digging so deep in music to fight new sounds, new TECHNIQUES, new personnality, new KIND OF PLAYING. Hell dude! Maybe I'm the one who's missing the point. But I highly doubt it... I understand music, I know I do. I don't just judge based on my feeling of what I'm hearing. I'm not a kid listenning to some Black Veil Brides and feeling so touched by the lyrics and how well they express my pain in their cheesy generic chugging riffs. I have a true understanding of music, of artistic value and creativity. Like we all previously stated, you don't need to be a musician to understand music.

So they have chug chug RIFFS whilst not having RIFFS most of the time? That makes sense, a riff is a riff. This is origin minus the chug chug part. Boring tremolo picking and then sweeps. The reason I consider Origin simplistic? Lack of any technicality, and uninspired " riffs ". It's like slayer-angel of death. The intro " riff ". Just picking on the low E, and then of course accompanied by tremolo picking wth an F.

Don't compare Slayer and Origin. Slayer doesn't have even half of the song-writting skill the guys of Origin have.

Link farther below.

No, I'm still not convinced sir.

Not even really an attack on origin, but an attack on all " tech death " bands. It's not really technical. Now classical guitarists, that shit will blow your mind.

Like previously stated, Origin do not write simplistic technical riffs, they write actual Rhythm guitars with techniality in them. Seriously, can't you hear what I'm talking about? Cause I know a lot of Technical Death Metal bands, and Origin are clearly standing out.

Not technical riffs. It may sound technical to you, but then again you don't play guitar. See my point here? How something sounds=/= how it really is.

This is how we call it son... Call it Wakitipouh Death Metal. I don't give a flying fuck. That's the kind of riffing they have anyway.

And yet those riffs are never technical. Seriously they're not. I've played tech death, its not hard.

You never played Origin. Or maybe you did? Show me please, I'd like to see you do it.

No they really don't, sorry to say. It's this way with every tech death band. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRb0C2ims T0 What do you call this? This is wank. Straight 32nd/16th notes.

Yes, lot of sweeping, but included in the actual riff between the chords. They fit in the riff, they are not just played over the simple "wannabe heavy dm riff" you can hear often in other tech death bands. And from 0:17, they even stop doing what you accuse them of doing all the time. They play a simple death metal riff, but it's well written. A lot of notes yes, but nothing technical there. And before 0:35, there is no sweeping at all. When they start sweeping again, they include in in the actual RHYTHM RIFF. You might dislike it. But from 0:54, they play one goddamn sexy riff. It's technical (or what we call technical, sorry) and you can feel the main "Chords" of this riff. There is something like 10 "main notes" in this riff, and then... they had some notes in between these. That's all. But again, the rhythm is interresting. It's not just wank-leads.

wha?

Alright, but like I said, origin, along with every other tech death band isn't technical.

Let's call it Wakitiponk Death Metal.

Because of opinions. Jesus christ I JUST said people like brokencyde for some reason. According to you they know nothing of music and yet still listen to them. You can listen to as much music as you like, it doesn't mean you know anything about it.

I know my music, I'm just sorry dude. And that's what pisses me off. You claim stupid shit on me, based on your opinions of what you need to understand music. It's silly dude...

I'm not a musician, like many in the Metal Hell, and I know a lot about music... going from techniques, to what influenced an artist, to the kind of riffing, to the lyrical themes and song-writting process. No seriously. You might claim it's just an opinion, but your opinion is that I don't know shit about music. Which I just can't accept. I can't accept the fact that you are saying this to me, in the Metal Hell. Yeah, maybe it's not an insult. But if I said "In my opinion, you are a fucking turd." It would still be an insult, no matter how many times you stated it's an opinion. And yes, I do feel insulted by your OPINION.

I did ;) I tasted 4 stars musician-ship :)

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-03 19:15:41

At 9/3/11 07:06 PM, TheSporkLord wrote:
At 9/3/11 07:04 PM, Zodir wrote:
I've said in other posts you don't need to be a musician to form an opinion of music, smae goes for any other thing.

Well, if you look a couple posts up, I've been gone for about 3 weeks. I haven't really caught up on all I missed. I just saw that post it that's what it seem liked to me out of context. But I still say, anyone with rudimentary knowledge of music in any form can judge other types. If you know how to write and play music on say a trumpet or bass, you can apply that knowledge to other types. Hell, all I really know how to do anymore is read music, but I can still judge whether or not something is a difficult or simple or technical part to play based on my previous knowledge.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-03 19:20:16

At 9/3/11 06:38 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: Opinions mang, but honestly what could some random person say who doesn't understand music? I liked it, it sounded good to me. I thought it was complex even though I don't play whatever I thought was complex.

Oh, and that's also irrelevant. Again, you are just talking about the playing. You try to focus on just the guy, taking a guitar pick and hitting a note. But that's not music, you are trying to brake it down to such an simplistic thing... It makes me wonder if you understand anything about "experiencing music".

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-03 19:56:31

At 9/3/11 07:15 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 9/3/11 04:19 PM, TheSporkLord wrote:
I know guitar, played instruments, learned quite a lot of things about techniques and the theory. I know what I'm talking about. Unless you can support your point with real arguments, I suggest you stop.

And yet you say you're not a musician.

but writting it. It's not like writting and AC/DC riff, and you know it.

So BTBAM actually take time to write their riffs? No, even the most technical music can still be horribly easy to write.

Again, we are not talking pure technique and instrument theory, but what it really is in the music. I love bassists like Les Claypool, Erlend Caspersen, Webster and other artists who play not just technical riffs (that I can explain, you know), but music with great feel, great composition...

uniqueness, personnality. If you want to brake it to "just" the actual E to A, than A to C. Than you fail to get the point of music.

Point of making music to be doing what you enjoy and providing others with something they enjoy. Lets remember this.

No dude, I could tell what was coming next, when the singer would jump in, when they would do a breakdown. It was predictable.

Yes, what I am saying is that just about EVERY band is predictable, i.e. my death example.

Well, after we all explained you why you can't use the "you need to be a musician to understand music" argument, and that you kept using it without further explanations or good arguments to support your point, yes... I could tell you had your head stuck up your ass...

My head is right where it should be.

I'm not a kid listenning to some Black Veil Brides and feeling so touched by the lyrics and how well they express my pain in their cheesy generic chugging riffs. I have a true understanding of music, of artistic value and creativity.

^ This goes against itself so bad. If you had a true understanding of music you would never have said that.

Don't compare Slayer and Origin. Slayer doesn't have even half of the song-writting skill the guys of Origin have.

Highly debatable.

Link farther below.
No, I'm still not convinced sir.

Like previously stated, Origin do not write simplistic technical riffs, they write actual Rhythm guitars with techniality in them. Seriously, can't you hear what I'm talking about? Cause I know a lot of Technical Death Metal bands, and Origin are clearly standing out.

Indeed, they don't write simplistic technical riffs. They just write really fast simplistic riffs. That's all it is. Tremolo up harmonic minor. Abuse rule of thirds. Repeat tremolo of HM. Use most cliche hammer on pull off top note of harmonic minor scale. Drop down wholestep, drop down half step. I don't even have to look at the music to tell this. I've played this scale enough to know it when I hear it.

List some of these other tech death bands if you would be so kind.

This is how we call it son... Call it Wakitipouh Death Metal. I don't give a flying fuck. That's the kind of riffing they have anyway.

No, there is no other name for it, its not technical. Look at the actual music. As I've stated its just tremolo picking. I know this.

You never played Origin. Or maybe you did? Show me please, I'd like to see you do it.

I would love to, but I actually have no idea how to record this shit. I've actually tried to upload videos before. Doesn't work.

Yes, lot of sweeping, but included in the actual riff between the chords.

Like other bands.

They fit in the riff, they are not just played over the simple "wannabe heavy dm riff" you can hear often in other tech death bands.

Its not hard to fit it in the song when EVERYTHING is 32nd notes.

And from 0:17, they even stop doing what you accuse them of doing all the time. They play a simple death metal riff, but it's well written. A lot of notes yes, but nothing technical there. And before 0:35, there is no sweeping at all.

So they were sweeping before :17 and yet they weren't at all before : 35?

When they start sweeping again, they include in in the actual RHYTHM RIFF.

You said this already.

You might dislike it. But from 0:54, they play one goddamn sexy riff.

Harmonic minor riffs ALWAYS sound sexy. Even more so for Diminished Minor.

It's technical (or what we call technical, sorry)

Good thing you made this distinction.

and you can feel the main "Chords" of this riff.

Because as with all tech death bands they pick 3 or 4 power chords and then tremolo pick the root note of said chord.

There is something like 10 "main notes" in this riff, and then... they had some notes in between these. That's all. But again, the rhythm is interresting. It's not just wank-leads.

What is interesting about straight 32nd notes?

wha?

Well I don't play any of the instruments he did so I have every right to judge his music this way. Its horribly simple and anyone could do it.

Let's call it Wakitiponk Death Metal.

Still not technical.

I know my music, I'm just sorry dude. And that's what pisses me off. You claim stupid shit on me, based on your opinions of what you need to understand music. It's silly dude...

If you really understood music you would be bashing just about every band you listen to, but it just so happens that only the bands you don't like are simplistic.

I'm not a musician,

The Fuuuck?!

like many in the Metal Hell, and I know a lot about music... going from techniques, to what influenced an artist, to the kind of riffing, to the lyrical themes and song-writting process. No seriously. You might claim it's just an opinion, but your opinion is that I don't know shit about music. Which I just can't accept. I can't accept the fact that you are saying this to me, in the Metal Hell. Yeah, maybe it's not an insult. But if I said "In my opinion, you are a fucking turd." It would still be an insult,

Actually I wouldn't mind it in this way. Wouldn't be insulted.

no matter how many times you stated it's an opinion. And yes, I do feel insulted by your OPINION.

Well that's your problem.

I did ;) I tasted 4 stars musician-ship :)

I'm sure.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-03 20:23:55

Hey guys long time no see are we still arguing about inane things for little to no reason?

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-03 20:25:53

At 9/3/11 08:23 PM, SomaGuye wrote: Hey guys long time no see are we still arguing about inane things for little to no reason?

Hey man, I'm defending all music here.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-03 20:50:54

Attention Zodir, Sporky and Duff:

WHEN AN ARGUMENT ON THE INTERNET OCCURS AND NO DEFINITE SOLUTION IS FOUND, IS IT LUCK? :O

At 9/3/11 05:50 AM, Bahamut wrote: Mind giving us a few examples? Not to question what you think of Alestorm but I'd like to know who are those "only having hundreds of fans".

Galneryus, Beyond Twilight, Spellblast, Dark Moor, Athena, Celesty, Vision Divine, Wisdom, ReVamp, Pagan's Mind, Lost Horizon and Seventh Wonder are all some of my favorite power/prog metal bands.

All of which are mildly popular, but Alestorm still are way more popular then any of them. Except MAYBE Dark Moor, i'm not exactly sure how popular Dark Moor is.

When I said "only hundreds of fans" I vastly underexagerated. I do know ofp lenty local power metal bands who are virtually unknown(Armory, myopia, shadow sanctuary, in harm's way, dorian gray, etc.) and I know some other insanely unknown power metal bands like Icewind and Instanzia from canada come to mind but every EXTREMLY unknown power metal band is generic in some way or another, or so i've found thus far.

I'd download the leak only to make sure the album is good and so I won't be giving my sister a shitty album for her birthday. Not saying the album sucks but I'd like to make sure it's all good.

I know, but wait till the album officially comes out THEN download it and make your judgment. Listening to music earlier then it's supposed to be listened to, is a slap in the face to the band.

:Wouldn't it suck if your birthday was in June and you were given Morbid Angel's latest abomination as a present?

I'd think it was fucking hilarious.

Also, I fucking love Primus.

Primus - American Life

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-03 21:23:03

At 9/3/11 07:56 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: And yet you say you're not a musician.

I'm not a musician like the artists we are discussing. The guys of Amon Amarth might be better guitarists then I, but I can easily say that Ron Jarzombeck has a better technique and song-writting then them.

So BTBAM actually take time to write their riffs? No, even the most technical music can still be horribly easy to write.

Seriously? BTBAM are THE band that makes me respect core. They have some of the best song-writting I've heard. The album Colors as some of the greatest build-ups and great song-writting, mixing elements of progressive rock, progressive metal, some deathcore, some metalcore and they even drop in some hillbillies music :P No dude, use a better example. BTBAM has some great song-writting.

Plus, stop talking about what is "easy" and what isn't. Saying it's "easy" to write, is silly. What if it was very easy to write The Pachelbel Canon... would it take anything away from what it's worth. No, of course not. Easy or not, it doesn't mean there isn't hard work behind it. Like when I play Call Of Duty. It's not hard for me to kick people's ass. Why? Because I'm good, right? Does it make it less impressive?

Point of making music to be doing what you enjoy and providing others with something they enjoy. Lets remember this.

I'm talking about much more than a simple serie of notes played on a guitar. Someone who doesn't know his scales, can still tell you if there was a wrong note played in a scale. Why? Maybe because he can understand musicality, even without knowing the notes.

Yes, what I am saying is that just about EVERY band is predictable, i.e. my death example.

Not too sure about that. Try it with Unearth, then listen to Death. Nothing similar in the song-writting. Unearth = no creativity and no uniqueness... no feeling... and no personnality...

^ This goes against itself so bad. If you had a true understanding of music you would never have said that.

Shut the fuck up! Stop talking about ME. You can't claim bullshit like this all the time, especially if you don't back your words up with any kind of intelligent argument.

Indeed, they don't write simplistic technical riffs. They just write really fast simplistic riffs. That's all it is. Tremolo up harmonic minor. Abuse rule of thirds. Repeat tremolo of HM. Use most cliche hammer on pull off top note of harmonic minor scale. Drop down wholestep, drop down half step. I don't even have to look at the music to tell this. I've played this scale enough to know it when I hear it.

Haha! Why don't you give up on this? They don't tremolo that much, especially compared to your beloved Amon Amarth ;) The tremolo comes in handy when you want to give a special feel to the music. And in the end, they are not guilty of what you accuse them of doing. There might be sweep and tremolo, but they have the riffs to back this up. And stop talking about clichés as arguments. Just stating what they are playing, is not destroying anything from their creativity. Even if you can name every single of their techniques and methods they use in their music, you are not explain HOW this is uncreative!

No, there is no other name for it, its not technical. Look at the actual music. As I've stated its just tremolo picking. I know this.

What are you complaining about exactly? The same riff can be played in so many different ways. You can play the note once and just let it ring. Or you can do some tremolo picking... whatever dude, there is the same work behind the writting, especially with Origin. Again, the tremolo picking is not just an excuse to bad song-writting like in Amon Amarth. It's useful to the track. You should also realise that they never do tremolo picking for a long time through the song.

I would love to, but I actually have no idea how to record this shit. I've actually tried to upload videos before. Doesn't work.

Too bad, I guess...

Like other bands.

Links? Please :)

Its not hard to fit it in the song when EVERYTHING is 32nd notes.

The fuck you are talking about?

So they were sweeping before :17 and yet they weren't at all before : 35?

You understand what I said. Between 0:17 to 0;35 there is no sweeping.

You said this already.

Yeah, can you hear it? Or your head is still in your ass?

Harmonic minor riffs ALWAYS sound sexy. Even more so for Diminished Minor.

Good for you :)

Because as with all tech death bands they pick 3 or 4 power chords and then tremolo pick the root note of said chord.

Nope. Not tremolo picking, especially not in the track YOU linked me two. They use notes from the scales to fill the gaps between the notes.

What is interesting about straight 32nd notes?

But what the fuck is this argument? Stop! Just stop! Origin won't create new notes. Fuck! They play things that do exist, OF FUCKING COURSE! What do you want them to do? If you play a note that was already heard in history, you lack creativity? Fuck, that's stupid!

Well I don't play any of the instruments he did so I have every right to judge his music this way. Its horribly simple and anyone could do it.

You are still pissed that I dissed Amon Amarth, right? Now I said everything I had to said about this band. I explained you their song-writting and how simplistic and unnatractive it is to me. And now what?

Just please, drop that fucking stupid "you don't play this instrument, so you don't understand" argument. It's annoying and dumb.

I'm not just stating OPINIONS. I have a solid background in music and I understand how shitty band are just copy-pasting some other artists, and dropping into lazy ass song-writting with cheesy formulaic song-writting, like AC/DC or Kiss. And there are bands like Blotted Science, who make more of an effort to step out of the borders and creat their own genre of music. Why can I say this? Oh... maybe because I can make opinions... NO! This is not about opinions. Noticing that a musician like Ron Jarzombeck is making much more of an effort to step out of the borders and be creative then guys like Chris Martin from Coldplay, who just copy the ambiances, themes and song-writting of bands like U2 and Radiohead.

Oh, sorry! That's an opinion, without any kind of rationnal and intelligent argument to back it up. Yeah sorry, I don't play guitar, so I really can't say that this lame moron is just copying Radiohead. I really can't tell, cause I don't play guitar. Sorry.

If you really understood music you would be bashing just about every band you listen to, but it just so happens that only the bands you don't like are simplistic.

No. I admit enjoying very simplistic music. Some music just isn't made to be complex or really well-though. Nice assumption again.

Actually I wouldn't mind it in this way. Wouldn't be insulted.

Well, In my opinion, you got your head stuck up your ass. Good? :)

Well that's your problem.

Clever.

I'm sure.

Better be, bitch. Cause that's a fact :)

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-04 10:10:23

At 9/4/11 03:56 AM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: So how do you guys feel about record stores putting noise musicians like M.B. and Merzbow under metal?

Either they have too little space, or too great a sense of humor.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-04 11:01:52

I'm gonna be honest. I cannot be arsed with this argument.

At 9/3/11 08:50 PM, AniMetal wrote:
At 9/3/11 05:50 AM, Bahamut wrote: Mind giving us a few examples? Not to question what you think of Alestorm but I'd like to know who are those "only having hundreds of fans".
Beyond Twilight

I'm sure I've heard this name before. Maybe I'm thinking of Twilightning?

Dark Moor

They should be big enough but maybe Alestorm have more popularity. Then again, I'm able to hear some Alestorm at the local venue from time to time. Dark Moor on the other hand, not a chance.

Pagan's Mind

Well, I do know your passion for this band.

Lost Horizon

I'd say hell yes but they're taking forever to release their third album. It may be that they'll never release it. We have more of a chance of seeing Wintersun's Time coming out.

When I said "only hundreds of fans" I vastly underexagerated. I do know ofp lenty local power metal bands who are virtually unknown(Armory, myopia, shadow sanctuary, in harm's way, dorian gray, etc.)

A band who call themselves Armory makes me think of traditional metal.

and I know some other insanely unknown power metal bands like Icewind

I still want to try out Icewind.

I'd download the leak only to make sure the album is good and so I won't be giving my sister a shitty album for her birthday. Not saying the album sucks but I'd like to make sure it's all good.
I know, but wait till the album officially comes out THEN download it and make your judgment. Listening to music earlier then it's supposed to be listened to, is a slap in the face to the band.

I often think this and actually wait for the official release date but like I said, I want to give their new album to my sister for her birthday but I don't want it to suck so I'd like to make sure it is good.

At 9/4/11 03:56 AM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: LOVED the Candlemass record - Sabbathey!

Which Candlemass album are we talking about? Hopefully it's Epicus Doomicus Metallicus.

Picked up Danzig by Danzig yesterday and today it is AMGs album of the day!

lol Allmusic. They were without a doubt the worst reviewers ever (even worse than the biggest elitist snob on Metal-Archives and the Irate Gamer). Most of the time they don't even say what's bad about an album and when they do it's for the most retarded reasons.

So how do you guys feel about record stores putting noise musicians like M.B. and Merzbow under metal?

As far as a music shop goes, I wouldn't even know where to put Merzbow. It's not like they have a noise music section in HMV. I suppose they could get away with putting him in metal considering his collaborations with Sunn 0))) and Boris.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-04 12:22:00

At 9/4/11 11:01 AM, Bahamut wrote:
Beyond Twilight

No, you have heard the name.

Someone was cocksucking Dream Theater fuckloads months ago, and I just posted a longass rant and kept using Beyond Twilight as my example for good prog and 00's Dream Theater as bad prog metal.

I think I scared that user off too. Haha

They should be big enough but maybe Alestorm have more popularity. Then again, I'm able to hear some Alestorm at the local venue from time to time. Dark Moor on the other hand, not a chance.

I've never seen a Dark Moor album in stores or anything like that, but I get the feeling that if they ever toured the states at least a reasonable amount of people would show up. But that's all just a feeling, Dark Moor is one of the few bands I love whom I have ZERO idea how popular they are.

Alestorm actually are really popular though. I've heard nonmetal fans talk about Alestorm WAY more then i've heard metalheads talk about them, to boot.

I'd say hell yes but they're taking forever to release their third album. It may be that they'll never release it. We have more of a chance of seeing Wintersun's Time coming out.

Eh, it'll come eventually. I hope.

They're kind of on the fence between power metal and traditional metal i'd say. But yeah, you probably would think that because of Armored Saint. haha

Do it. While technically speaking, they're awful, they're still surprisingly melodic and epic. Or at least, their 2006 album - I haven't listened to their second album yet.

I often think this and actually wait for the official release date but like I said, I want to give their new album to my sister for her birthday but I don't want it to suck so I'd like to make sure it is good.

Understandable.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-04 14:45:16

So, I picked up Fleshgod's new album, Agony. And I'm really digging it. It feels like they really struck a balance between their technical death metal and the symphonic elements.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-04 23:00:08

ZOMBIE WALK ZOMBIE WALK ZOMBIE WALK ZOMBIE WALK ZOMBIE WALK ZOMBIE WALK!!!!!

Was fucking awesome!!! they even played a few metal songs at the gathering.

Metal Hell

Enter Thy Metal Hell

www.infowars.com Because There Is A War On For Your Mind.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-05 08:08:49

Why Elvenking's early material is special for me.

At 9/4/11 12:22 PM, AniMetal wrote:
At 9/4/11 11:01 AM, Bahamut wrote:
Beyond Twilight
No, you have heard the name.

Someone was cocksucking Dream Theater fuckloads months ago, and I just posted a longass rant and kept using Beyond Twilight as my example for good prog and 00's Dream Theater as bad prog metal.

That explains it.

I think I scared that user off too. Haha

Well, you were only debating about it. Can't recall how mean you were, though. However, I can't say much since I've scared off a few users from the site entirely because of my modding. Some fucktards can't take a hint and persist with theur bad habits so they just act like total pussies and leave the site.

I've never seen a Dark Moor album in stores or anything like that, but I get the feeling that if they ever toured the states at least a reasonable amount of people would show up. But that's all just a feeling, Dark Moor is one of the few bands I love whom I have ZERO idea how popular they are.

I can imagine them playing in a room with a mere 150 for capacity. That's what it was like for Slough Feg and Solstice in London.

Alestorm actually are really popular though. I've heard nonmetal fans talk about Alestorm WAY more then i've heard metalheads talk about them, to boot.

If they can get a song played where a lot of nu metal and metalcore crap is played, that is saying something.

Eh, it'll come eventually. I hope.

Which? Wintersun's Time or Lost Horizon's third album?

They're kind of on the fence between power metal and traditional metal i'd say. But yeah, you probably would think that because of Armored Saint. haha

Yeah, it's probably Armored Saint that made me think that. Either way, a lot of basic names are traditional metal while NWOBHM have some of the most generic names ever. Demon, Satan, Hell, etc but the bands are still good.

Do it. While technically speaking, they're awful, they're still surprisingly melodic and epic. Or at least, their 2006 album - I haven't listened to their second album yet.

2006 album which is All Is Dust. Got it.

At 9/4/11 11:00 PM, smeagol1 wrote: ZOMBIE WALK ZOMBIE WALK ZOMBIE WALK ZOMBIE WALK ZOMBIE WALK ZOMBIE WALK!!!!!

Was fucking awesome!!! they even played a few metal songs at the gathering.

Hang on, there's supposed to be a zombie walk in Liverpool next month.

Response to Metal Hell 2011-09-05 11:18:06

At 9/5/11 08:08 AM, Bahamut wrote: Why Elvenking's early material is special for me.

I've always been annoyed by Elvenking. I'm not sure why.

But a nice read anyway, broski.

Which? Wintersun's Time or Lost Horizon's third album?

Both. Eventually.

Yeah, it's probably Armored Saint that made me think that. Either way, a lot of basic names are traditional metal while NWOBHM have some of the most generic names ever. Demon, Satan, Hell, etc but the bands are still good.

Yeah, I hate that. Such forgettable band names.

Then again, mostly all traditional metal bands are pretty forgettable musically so it fits.

2006 album which is All Is Dust. Got it.

Indeed.

Ghost - Death Knell

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature