Be a Supporter!

Metal Hell

  • 2,271,707 Views
  • 78,780 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Zodir
Zodir
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-23 19:50:14 Reply

I posted a review for Artillery's new album, My Blood. As always, CC welcome!


Godzilla Film Fan Club
Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!
Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Anti-pie
Anti-pie
  • Member since: Mar. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-23 20:12:05 Reply

Geez.... so much hate on Cannibal Corpse. Just seems pathetic to say they suck when they have such a huge fan base compared to pretty much any other death metal band. Unless of course thats the reason so many hate on them. Also the fact they have influenced so many bands.... regardless of how some of those bands might not sound appealing to me. Whatever I <3 them. But I will agree cannibal corpse was better with Chris Barnes but I still like what Corpsegrinder has done. Also Corpsegrinder loved my immolation shirt.


We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.
Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature
AllMightyBruce
AllMightyBruce
  • Member since: Nov. 14, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Audiophile
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-23 20:27:27 Reply

At 3/23/11 03:44 PM, AniMetal wrote: Thrash metal = Metal with punk influences
Hardcore = Punk with metal influences

Crossover = Thrash with hardcore influences
Municipal Waste = Crossover

Anti-pie
Anti-pie
  • Member since: Mar. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-23 22:15:20 Reply

Jesus fucking christ can't a $1,000 just appear in my bank so I can just go on the biggest CD spree ever?!? Theres so much to buy.....


We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.
Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-23 22:54:05 Reply

At 3/23/11 03:03 PM, AniMetal wrote:
At 3/23/11 03:00 PM, smeagol1 wrote: Don't matter, Cannibal Corpse suck major balls these days. In my opinion they were beter with Chris Barnes.
Cannibal Corpse has ALWAYS sucked.

I'm getting pretty tired of this. I already told you that you shouldn't express such useless opinions. No one gives a shit. You need to explain why you don't like them, or respect the fact that we can't be as awesome as you are.

Plus, Webster is one of the best bassists in Death Metal.

At 3/23/11 03:03 PM, AniMetal wrote:
At 3/23/11 03:00 PM, smeagol1 wrote: Don't matter, Cannibal Corpse suck major balls these days. In my opinion they were beter with Chris Barnes.
Cannibal Corpse has ALWAYS sucked.

I'm getting pretty tired of this. I already told you that you shouldn't express such useless opinions. No one gives a shit. You need to explain why you don't like them, or respect the fact that we can't be as awesome as you are.

CapnCrunchDaPimp
CapnCrunchDaPimp
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-24 00:17:08 Reply

At 3/23/11 08:12 PM, Anti-pie wrote: Geez.... so much hate on Cannibal Corpse. Just seems pathetic to say they suck when they have such a huge fan base compared to pretty much any other death metal band. Unless of course thats the reason so many hate on them. Also the fact they have influenced so many bands.... regardless of how some of those bands might not sound appealing to me. Whatever I <3 them. But I will agree cannibal corpse was better with Chris Barnes but I still like what Corpsegrinder has done. Also Corpsegrinder loved my immolation shirt.

Bands aren't good because of the size of their fanbase. It's about the music and creativity. Cannibal Corpse aren't bad but they're entry level and monotonous IMO. They're talented and make decent music. I'm not gonna insult them or anything. There's just better death metal out there.

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-24 00:23:07 Reply

At 3/24/11 12:17 AM, CapnCrunchDaPimp wrote: Bands aren't good because of the size of their fanbase. It's about the music and creativity. Cannibal Corpse aren't bad but they're entry level and monotonous IMO. They're talented and make decent music. I'm not gonna insult them or anything. There's just better death metal out there.

I like how you explainned your point of view, instead of just saying they suck shit. I have to agree with you, they are entry level and their music really is monotonous.

I think Webster really makes a great use of his talent with Blotted Science though. Their music is far superior to what Cannibal Corpse makes and I really hope to see him again in another project like Machinations Of Dementia.

Anti-pie
Anti-pie
  • Member since: Mar. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-24 01:02:12 Reply

At 3/24/11 12:17 AM, CapnCrunchDaPimp wrote: Bands aren't good because of the size of their fanbase.

Herp durr.....No shit, because of the creativity and the music cannibal Corpse has a large fan base SSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOO there you go.


We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.
Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature
CapnCrunchDaPimp
CapnCrunchDaPimp
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-24 01:13:32 Reply

At 3/24/11 12:23 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: I like how you explainned your point of view, instead of just saying they suck shit. I have to agree with you, they are entry level and their music really is monotonous.

I think Webster really makes a great use of his talent with Blotted Science though. Their music is far superior to what Cannibal Corpse makes and I really hope to see him again in another project like Machinations Of Dementia.

Thanks. I found Blotted Science to be a bit repetitive too, but I could respect the musicianship and technique. Cannibal Corpse has a great bassist and lead guitarist. The music just doesn't do it for me. Frantic Disembowelment has pretty sick guitars. Even though Necrophagist are technical I think the song writing and musicianship is better.

smeagol1
smeagol1
  • Member since: Jun. 20, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-24 01:22:15 Reply

Oh how I would love to see a black metal cover of this song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmAOm4Iaa ro


Enter Thy Metal Hell

www.infowars.com Because There Is A War On For Your Mind.

BBS Signature
Anti-pie
Anti-pie
  • Member since: Mar. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-24 01:42:31 Reply

At 3/24/11 01:22 AM, smeagol1 wrote: Oh how I would love to see a black metal cover of this song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmAOm4Iaa ro

Whats awesome is that it would work perfectly. I can already hear it now. The guitars would be faster and blast beats for the drums and a singer screaming in a high pitched tone. Speaking of Amon Amarth (which for some reason gets shit on from here....) My limited edition Surtur rising box set with the 5 inch figurine just shipped so now I just have to wait for it to come now. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!


We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.
Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature
AniMetal
AniMetal
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-24 06:10:51 Reply

At 3/23/11 06:11 PM, Bahamut wrote: At least they played Deathaura. But yeah, that setlist is pretty sucky. Sad to see not even Replica was there.

Yeah, the one highlight of that sonata arctica show I went to is they said it was the first time they had ever played deathaura live...ever.

Which was neat.


I've seen every single pre-days of grays songs played before, and I honestly heavily dislike the new album. (flag in the ground and the last amazing grays aside, anyway)
You mean they've played The Power of One before?

That's not what I mean, I meant every song on the setlist they played when I saw them that wasn't on the days of grays I had already seen before.

But yes, actually I have - in 2005 they played the power of one when I saw them instead of white pearls, black oceans like they normally did for the encore. (Power of one is way better anyway)


Also, lol sonata arctica moshpits - they don't even do that any of the times i've seen them.
I guess Manchester is pretty wild. :P They're rough enough to get people kicked out of shows, unlike the shows I've been to in London. There was one guy at the Motörhead show who had to be taken out by SIX security guards.

England is lame for shows, I think.

Both times i've seen municipal waste the crowd totally went batshit insane.

I watched a live video from a london municipal waste show, everyone was standing still.

And i'm like "LOL BRITTISH"


Also weird, both times i've seen Opeth the crowd has been relatively rough with each other and when I saw Blind Guardian in december, the mosh pit/crowdsurfers EXPLODED during some of the songs(Born In A Mourning Hall, Time Stands Still, Valhalla and Majesty all specifically)
I suppose a high class venue like the Royal Albert Hall wouldn't condone mosh pits at all so that may be why there weren't any at the Opeth show I went to.

Probably. haha


Make war, not love.

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-24 06:22:58 Reply

At 3/24/11 06:10 AM, AniMetal wrote: I watched a live video from a london municipal waste show, everyone was standing still.

And i'm like "LOL BRITTISH"

I don't know what you're talking about bro, down here in London shit always gets messy. When I saw Mutant supporting Evile it was a nonstop mosh for their entire set, and Evile had easily 50 stage divers and pits all nights.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 40
Movie Buff
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-24 08:30:19 Reply

I've never been into Cannibal Corpse, but I definitely agree that Alex Webster is a sick bassist. I heard there's going to be a new Blotted Science album, too. I hope that I heard right.

And whether Carnivore is more punk or more metal, they're badass.

Also, I'll try to remember to check out that list of Portugese bands. I remember seeing the page for that one avant-garde band, but I don't know why I don't remember any of their music. I'll be checking them out first if I remember to do it.

I remember now...I remember how it started...I can't remember yesterday...I just remember doing... what they told me...told me...told me...told me...

sig by JaY11
Letterboxd
one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-24 13:02:02 Reply

I will be seing Agalloch live, tonight !!!

Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-24 13:03:42 Reply

I've already said a few things about Cannibal Corpse in the past. I personally feel there isn't a great variety in their music. Only a selection of songs stick out from their range of music. Some of them are from Eaten Back to Life which is the CC album I enjoyed the most from what I heard.

At 3/23/11 10:15 PM, Anti-pie wrote: Jesus fucking christ can't a $1,000 just appear in my bank so I can just go on the biggest CD spree ever?!? Theres so much to buy.....

I actually have more than that in GBP value but if I go on a CD spending spree, I'll have too many songs to listen to at once and won't remember most of them. Maybe, just maybe I can go nuts for my 21st birthday but I felt getting at least 20 albums over Christmas (presents, sales and other stuff I wanted) was crazy enough.

At 3/24/11 06:10 AM, AniMetal wrote: But yes, actually I have - in 2005 they played the power of one when I saw them instead of white pearls, black oceans like they normally did for the encore. (Power of one is way better anyway)

It's my favourite Sonata Arctica song. They really need to make more longer songs.

I watched a live video from a london municipal waste show, everyone was standing still.

And i'm like "LOL BRITTISH"

I guess it varies from show to show. The crowd at Heidenfest in London was insane last year, especially for Ensiferum. The only bands from Heidenfest last year that didn't have a mosh pit going on were Heidevolk and Twilight of the Gods Bathory tribute.

smeagol1
smeagol1
  • Member since: Jun. 20, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-24 13:53:10 Reply

At 3/24/11 01:02 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: I will be seing Agalloch live, tonight !!!

Go die in fire!

I'm jelly.

Enter Thy Metal Hell

www.infowars.com Because There Is A War On For Your Mind.

BBS Signature
AniMetal
AniMetal
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-24 14:52:29 Reply

I agree, Sonata arctica DEFINITELY need more longer songs.

At 3/24/11 01:02 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: I will be seing Agalloch live, tonight !!!

I could've seen them last night, but their show was 21+

Instead i'll be seeing Helmet, Saint Vitus, Crowbar, Kylesa, Red Fang, Howl, Atlas Moth & Moth Eater tonight all on one lineup.

SLUDGE <3

At 3/24/11 06:22 AM, SomaGuye wrote:
At 3/24/11 06:10 AM, AniMetal wrote: I watched a live video from a london municipal waste show, everyone was standing still.

And i'm like "LOL BRITTISH"
I don't know what you're talking about bro, down here in London shit always gets messy. When I saw Mutant supporting Evile it was a nonstop mosh for their entire set, and Evile had easily 50 stage divers and pits all nights.

Retro-thrash metal is so trendy now, it probably attracted a ton of tough guys + teenagers who don't know more than ten pre-00's metal bands + oldschool metalheads who have their heads in the ass that "all the good metal" was released betwee 1982 and 1994, and from 2006 onwards.


Make war, not love.

BBS Signature
TheDaemonicPoet
TheDaemonicPoet
  • Member since: May. 18, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-24 15:06:34 Reply

At 3/23/11 02:36 PM, TheDaemonicPoet wrote: So, I'm trying to explain some guys why metalcore/deathcore is not metal, but I'm feeling that I'm not really able to argue, what should I say to prove it? I don't want to say because only scene kids listen to it and stuff like that, I need musical proofs.

One guy showed me a song from Sick of it All, an Hardcore Punk band, Cannibal Corpse and Job For A Cowboy, and I can't say they're now a Death Metal band because the song he showed me is from the first album. He then told me to compare the songs, and say with which band does JFAC sounds more like. And, in fact, even with the core sound, they sound much more like Cannibal Corpse, and I'm not concerned with Cannibal Corpse's quality, they're a Death Metal band, that's what I'm concerned with.

I still need help. Please, help me with this.


Liberals defend the exploitation of man by man, Conservatives defend the reverse.

BBS Signature
Dalnaki
Dalnaki
  • Member since: Sep. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-24 16:04:17 Reply

At 3/24/11 03:06 PM, TheDaemonicPoet wrote: I still need help. Please, help me with this.

Just tell him that deathcore rips off Cannibal Corpse all the time. Suffocation too. Doesn't mean they're death metal.

TheDaemonicPoet
TheDaemonicPoet
  • Member since: May. 18, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-24 16:40:23 Reply

At 3/24/11 04:04 PM, Dalnaki wrote:
At 3/24/11 03:06 PM, TheDaemonicPoet wrote: I still need help. Please, help me with this.
Just tell him that deathcore rips off Cannibal Corpse all the time. Suffocation too. Doesn't mean they're death metal.

I want real musical differences. Like guitar playing style why is it different than in metal, also drumming, vocals, whatever.


Liberals defend the exploitation of man by man, Conservatives defend the reverse.

BBS Signature
Blackdoom13
Blackdoom13
  • Member since: Jul. 11, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-24 21:03:43 Reply

At 3/24/11 04:40 PM, TheDaemonicPoet wrote: I want real musical differences. Like guitar playing style why is it different than in metal, also drumming, vocals, whatever.

Well Deathcore and Death Metal are very similar, Deathcore tends to use more pig squeals, guitar riffs that generally stay in the same key throughout the whole song and the drumming is basically the same, fast double bass kicks and blast beats ect. But the biggest difference is the almost consent use of breakdowns, coming up out of nowhere usually and normally throw off the whole song.
Death Metal vocals consist of more deep growls, gutturals and high (Black Metal) screams, DM guitars (can) change throughout the song but in my personal opinion the biggest difference in the guitars are the technicality, DM guitarist are usually very skilled in many styles and infuse those styles with each other, DM drums are normally about the same as Deathcore drums consisting of beats using 32nd notes to 64th notes but not always.

Well this is what I see/hear from my musical experience and knowledge. Some of you may see it differently but like I said this is my opinion.

Also hey everybody. Lol I think I'm gonna be back. Sorry I keep disappearing but none of you probably notice anyway lol

So who are the Horsemen at the moment?


When I die. It will be in a blaze of glory.
Metal Hellion/My band (Bestial Remains) Myspace/Sonic Crew

BBS Signature
Zodir
Zodir
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-24 21:52:13 Reply

At 3/24/11 09:03 PM, Blackdoom13 wrote: So who are the Horsemen at the moment?

Bahamut, Bill, Sensey, and Duff.


Godzilla Film Fan Club
Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!
Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Dalnaki
Dalnaki
  • Member since: Sep. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-24 22:46:49 Reply

At 3/24/11 09:03 PM, Blackdoom13 wrote:
At 3/24/11 04:40 PM, TheDaemonicPoet wrote: I want real musical differences. Like guitar playing style why is it different than in metal, also drumming, vocals, whatever.
Well Deathcore and Death Metal are very similar.

Only because deathcore ripped off Cannibal Corpse and Suffocation and then watered it down. With piss. And AIDs. And more AIDs. And then forgot about those bands.

Blackdoom13
Blackdoom13
  • Member since: Jul. 11, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-24 23:41:47 Reply

At 3/24/11 10:46 PM, Dalnaki wrote: Only because deathcore ripped off Cannibal Corpse and Suffocation and then watered it down. With piss. And AIDs. And more AIDs. And then forgot about those bands.

Basically.

At 3/24/11 09:52 PM, Zodir wrote: Bahamut, Bill, Sensey, and Duff.

Ah. So it hasn't changed.


When I die. It will be in a blaze of glory.
Metal Hellion/My band (Bestial Remains) Myspace/Sonic Crew

BBS Signature
AllMightyBruce
AllMightyBruce
  • Member since: Nov. 14, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Audiophile
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-25 00:41:35 Reply

At 3/24/11 10:46 PM, Dalnaki wrote: then watered it down. With piss. And AIDs. And more AIDs.

When did you start writing lyrics for CC?

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-25 02:36:49 Reply

Agalloch was amazing !!! I've never seen a band play with such passion, talent and emotion !!! I was going totally crazy during their set, it was absolutely perfect, except for the vocals. They always get lost somewhere...

When they played Bloodbirds... it was absolutely crazy, everybody in the front rows were just banging their heads real hard, screaming with John. It's the last track they played before the encore, so they gave all they had, Don Anderson was jumping all over the place, screaming even though he didn't have any mic! He was standing, just in front of me and my girlfriend, shredding and blowing our minds with his skills! He was jumping all over the stage, and I managed to take a photo of John in the middle of a powerful headbang, the picture is fuckin' amazing !!!

The last track of the Encore was In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion, which was absolutely amazing. It was the only track they played from The Mantle, but boy, was it well executed!

This is the setlist:

1.Into the Painted Grey
2.Falling Snow
3.The Watcher's Monolith
4.*I'm not quite sure about this one, I'll have a chat with some other people who were there to find out.*
5.Limbs
6.Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires
7.Our Fortress is Burning... II: Bloodbirds
8.Dead Winter Days
9.In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion

And I'll just have some more fun messing with you guys, Musk Ox and Don Anderson played Isle Of Summer during Musk Ox set, and they did it for the first time in Montreal !!!

I'll post some pictures tomorrow and upload some videos :)

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Member since: Sep. 19, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-25 03:31:14 Reply

I would really like to see Agalloch play 'The Lodge' live just to see if they bring out a deer skull, than and because that song is awesome, as is pretty much every song on The Mantle.

Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Metal Hell 2011-03-25 13:19:28 Reply

At 3/24/11 09:52 PM, Zodir wrote:
At 3/24/11 09:03 PM, Blackdoom13 wrote: So who are the Horsemen at the moment?
Bahamut, Bill, Sensey, and Duff.

I'll take this opportunity for whoever isn't aware that Goatchrist is still considered one of the leaders here, despite long term activity. Ages ago he felt he wasn't active enough at all and we agreed that he should give him an alternative position so if he's around and wishes to review a new applicant, he's free to do so since he was the founder of the Metal Hell after all. It's been almost a year since he last came here. I really hope he finds some free time soon.

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Melancholy