00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RunicPixels just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Orchestral NAC

7,617 Views | 32 Replies

Orchestral NAC 2011-01-04 20:58:41

IT'S THE FIRST OFFICIAL NAC!

The Orchestral Newgrounds Audio Contest has commenced.

---

Here are the rules..

Your submission must consist primarily of instruments that are used in a ORCHESTRAL or SYMPHONIC setting. Synthetic instruments may be used, but cannot be the primary focus of the track. For example, something like "Juno Reactor vs. Don Davis - Mona Lisa Overdrive", or "Hybrid - Finished Symphony (Deadmau5 remix)" will not be acceptable. Also, submissions in which the orchestra only plays a supporting role are not acceptable. For example, "The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony".

Songs must be newly composed and created for this competition.

Songs can be a maximum of 5 minutes. Songs which are slightly longer will be taken into consideration and reviewed on a case by case basis. No There will be no minimum time limit, but please, use your objectivity and common sense... "Does this track constitute a complete full length song?"

No copyrighted samples. This is rather obvious and self-explanatory.

No covers. All melodies contained in your submission must be composed ENTIRELY by yourself.

No piano-only songs, or any single-instrument pieces. Remember, the main focus of the contest is usage of an orchestra.

Voices can be used, provided that:
1) It is not sampled from copyrighted recordings.
2) It is 100% your own recording and creation.
3) You can ask another artist or group to provide vocals, as long as all material is newly created for your submission, and you provide the details of the vocalist(s), who they are.

All tracks must be in by the deadline. Please check your Newgrounds in-boxes regularly. If you have a problem with reaching the deadlines, please contact us as soon as possible, and we will review your case.

Submissions must not contain any material deemed offensive.

Further questions pertaining to official NACs can be found in the NAC General Discussion Thread

Last but not least, remember to have fun! Don't bust your brains trying to come up with the masterpiece of the century? If you try, you might go insane, like that piano guy from "Shine".

---

Here are the set dates and deadlines for this contest

From now till 11:59 PM EST Sunday Jan 23: Submissions will be accepted.

Wednesday, Jan 26th: The 8 finalists will be announced, and their submissions will be closely scrutinized and reviewed by our finalist judges.

Tuesday, Feb 1st: The top 4 will be announced by our finalist judges.

---

The finalist judges for the Orchestral NAC will be...

Nathan Allen Pinard

David Orr

Shawn Dall (chronamut). Why Chrons? Well the truth is, MaestroRage wasn't available and Chrons threatened to butt-rape us if we didn't let him be a finalist judge. (Just kidding folks)

They will pick the top four from the 8 finalists.

---

Here are the prizes

1st Place: $50.00 store credit, weekly feature, reviewed by all judges, 1st place sig (optional)
2nd Place: $40.00 store credit, weekly feature, reviewed by all judges, 2nd place sig (optional)
3rd place: $30.00 store credit, weekly feature, reviewed by all judges, 3rd place sig (optional)
4th place: weekly feature, reviewed by all judges
5th place: reviewed by all judges
6th place: reviewed by all judges
7th place: reviewed by all judges
8th place: reviewed by all judges

---

Please post your submissions in this thread!

This is easy. Just simply post your song like so...

If you have difficulty doing this, feel free to ask for help.

Remember to have fun, and good luck!

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-05 16:13:17

Additional Information

Each competitor can submit only ONE song for this contest.

Please submit your entry using your regular account, not an ALT.

Collabs are not allowed for the Orchestral NAC. Collaborative linking has not been implemented into the audio portal at this time, so it would be difficult to award prizes to a collab winner, for example.

Realism of instruments won't be as important as arrangement. Meaning, if you have extremely realistic sounds, but just use the strings section and not much else, your song might not have as much a fighting chance as a less realistic-sounding submission that has more varied usage of orchestral instruments.

No instruments that are synthetic and/or electronic in nature can be continually used in a dominant manner. For example, one can use a violin plugin, or brass plugin, but not a theremin plugin. One can use an acoustic guitar plugin, but not an electric guitar plugin. One can use a bells plugin, but not an 8-bit plugin. Keep in mind that any of the aforementioned synthetic instruments can still be used in a supporting role. They just can't be the primary instrument of your entire submission, like you might hear in symphonic black metal.

I will keep a list of competitors and their entries HERE. I will update it as often as possible.

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-06 02:14:58

OK, after 18 hours of composition, I finally have my submission! Thanks for coordinating this competition! Good luck everyone!

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-06 18:33:05

At 1/4/11 08:58 PM, brokendeck wrote:
Shawn Dall (chronamut). Why Chrons? Well the truth is, MaestroRage wasn't available...

No longer true...

The finalist judges for the Orchestral NAC will NOW be...

Nathan Allen Pinard

David Orr

Selcuk Bor a.k.a. MaestroRage

and of course Chronamut

---

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-08 00:08:18

At 1/6/11 08:48 PM, Jessismith wrote: Will definitely try to come up with something for this. :)

And here it is!

Hmm. I will change this signature soon, lol.

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-08 06:52:55

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-08 11:10:44

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-09 02:33:09

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-12 17:25:22

Film & Game Composer - 4 Years with FL Studio - Contact me

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/lis ten/471408

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-13 17:12:20

BBS Signature

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-14 21:51:23

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-14 22:29:41

My latest DnB creation finished on March 7th - http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/lis ten/404636

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-15 15:12:15

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-16 12:44:48

Here's mine

Epic journey

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-18 01:41:24

Hey guys, I finally finished my piece, it took me a few days to make (not consecutivelly, of course :P)

Anyways, here's the link:

Hope you enjoy, and the best of luck to all the other competitors!

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-19 02:02:54

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-20 12:23:05

BBS Signature

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-21 12:13:08

At 1/20/11 03:41 PM, LaForge wrote: I knew I'd be cutting it close to the deadline since this is my first attempt at classical.

Not as close as me. I honestly didn't think I'd get this in until Saturday Night. I'm ahead of schedule.

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-21 19:32:15

Certainly not epic film score music, but hey, it's orchestral.

BBS Signature

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-22 03:02:21

Don't mind me, I'm just some lingerer with a dry sense of humor and a big stick.

Check out my about.me profile - it's a work in progress

BBS Signature

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-22 04:07:56

I whipped something up. Hope it's not too long. http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/3 93366

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-22 06:33:25

Avatribarian

An orchestral composition I made with Reason.

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-22 09:53:09

Hello,

I would like to submit the following track for this contest :

Hope it's not too late.

Thank you !

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-22 12:10:42

Wish I had more than a couple of days, but that's what happens when you drop in only once every three months and want to participate in a contest that has been on for weeks.

...Meh.

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-22 15:54:01

Here's my entry.

Best of luck to everyone. ^__^

[TSR Audio]

Click the Banner To Visit My Music Page! ^__^

BBS Signature

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-22 21:51:20

I still don't really understand how things works here...
However, here's my contribution:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/3 93557
This song is still awaiting for approval by a mod, since I'm new here.
Did I even make the deadline?

| Holy Adventure | Dream of being best | Music I've composed.

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-23 10:04:01

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-23 13:31:52

Well, the track I wanted to submit wasn't finished in time, but I still wanted to enter, so here's another track I finished very recently.

It's a very very short waltz-esque thing.

I'm thinking we should do more contests like this, it was pretty motivational and interesting in my book.

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-23 15:31:04

Response to Orchestral NAC 2011-01-23 16:54:46

At 1/23/11 04:26 PM, LaForge wrote: Time's up muhfuckas, time to see who made it to the top 8. I'm expecting to win the "worst entry" consolation prize... a kiss on the cheek from Andy.

There's actually 7:30 left, since we're speaking of Newgrounds time (GMT -5).

So there's still time to post your submitions before the deadline, thought make it quick!