00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Allthingz2020 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Favorite Internet Browser

4,713 Views | 80 Replies

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 09:30:05

At 1/2/11 09:27 AM, llarss wrote:
At 1/2/11 01:20 AM, dantehawesomeman wrote: I like to use Firefox.
i too check this out

That review sucks, speed and compatibility shouldn't be the same thing.
Opera wins hard on speed, while it lacks some compatibility. IE lacks both of those things and is still top ranked?

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 09:45:29

At 1/2/11 09:26 AM, Wolfos wrote:
At 1/2/11 09:19 AM, Japati wrote: Chrome is much better!
Firefox has it's good points too you know, many add-ons I like aren't there for Chrome.
Does Chrome have Mac OS-X keychain support and a Rapidshare link checker? If it has, I might switch.

Yes.
Chrome is based off of Safari.

What it doesn't have it pointless annoying app bars. Like the ones random programs try to make you install.

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 09:50:44

I've used them all, recently I got rid of firefox for chrome though and I'm liking it much more. I used Opera a while back and it's basically a hybrid of fox and chrome, you get the same features across both. Safari is rubbish and internet explorer is bog standard default, it's manageable but there aren't any fancy bells and whistles attached.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 10:05:56

Okay, I've just downloaded Google Chrome, I'll report my findings here.

Just downloaded. Hey, why is the app named "Google Chrome" and not just "Chrome"? That's a bit confusing, Mozilla named their app "Firefox" and not "Mozilla Firefox" after all.

Okay, drag the app to the 'Applications' folder, it installs in a second, even though it's twice as large a file as Firefox. I open up the browser, dock it and it asks me if it will be my default browser; I say no, as I don't trust it yet. I do want to send my usage statistics, so I check that box.

The browser starts rather quickly and wow, it looks beautiful on my Mac, looks like it stole Opera's quick dial screen but not as good, because these are your "most visited" sites.

Because I have a tiny screen (only 13"), I try maximizing it but fail (it becomes bigger but doesn't maximize), I need to drag it manually so I hope it remembers my setting for window size.

I try setting Google as quick dia- erm 'most visited site' 1 but fail; I can't set those manually, crap.

I navigate to Google.com, it says "this site is in Dutch, would you like to translate it?" NO MOTHERFUCKING PIECE OF SOFTWARE, I SPEAK DUTCH! Damn, if it would've read my system settings it would've seen that I speak Dutch, of course Chrome wasn't written for OSX...

I must say I'm impressed however, typing in the address bar feels much more fluently.

Now I navigate to Newgrounds.com and rejoice! IT SUPPORTS KEYCHAIN!!!

I open up a new tab (which is nicely animated) and browse to Google.com, immediately I think "hey, nothing happened when I pressed enter" so I type google.com again and press enter, still nothing happens.
I wait, and see it actually loads the page, but I just didn't notice that it was loading. Well, that can probably be fixed with a theme, although I might not want to theme this beautiful browser.

Browsing the BBS, I noticed that multitouch scrolling is a bit smoother, but not as fast as I would like it, hope there's a setting for that. Turns out "change scroll speed chrome" is actually a suggested search term but nothing comes up besides some extension (smoothscroll).
Well, considering this browser is pretty good I'll install that extension.

I press the install button and after being presented a little warning (which isn't as annoying as Firefox's) it's been installed. I don't have to restart the browser, or even reload the page, it just works immediately.

Now scrolling has been fixed, I decide to check if it has built-in spell checking, luckily it has! Not only does it have spell checking but it also allows me to type in both Dutch and English without changing my language setting all the time (like Camino has). It probably uses OS-X's built in dictionary (also like Camino).

Now, let's move to the final and hardest test: Minecraft! Never before has a browser in OS-X properly played Minecraft classic for me, it always had weird issues with the Java thingy not loading most of the time.
I log in (with keychain!) join a server and it seems like my browser crashed... Oh wait, now this is awesome, while one of my tabs is frozen, it allows me to open another tab and work in that one!
In the time it took me to find that out, my Minecraft has loaded, or at least, it pretended to.

Nope, Minecraft doesn't work properly but that might also be Apple's fault (in fact, it probably is).

I move on to check other features, just like Firefox it allows you to search in the address bar, which is a function Microsoft called "confusing". I wonder what's so confusing about it, because it's just "type thingy in, press enter to search".

Now, another feature that I wanted really bad was the Rapidshare link checker, luckily it's a Greasemonkey script!
I press install and after a slightly longer process than installing an add-on, it's working! I didn't even need a Greasemonkey add-on!

I move to a page that has a Rapidshare link and notice one thing: it's not working...
Restart Chrome ("Chrome isn't your default browser", fuck you Google), move to the page again and it's still not working.
I wonder if I did something wrong...

Well, I'll figure that out later.

After typing this massive post, I'll come to my conclusion:
GOOGLE CHROME IS FUCKING AWESOME!

I can't rate it yet, because I need to use it longer (to experience compatibility) but for now it's a 9/10, which can still become lower if compatibility turns out to be shit (I guess it won't).

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 10:11:03

At 1/2/11 09:45 AM, Japati wrote: Chrome is based off of Safari.

Chrome isn't based off of Safari, Safari is based off Webkit, which isn't developed by Apple (although Apple helps developing it) and Chrome is also based off Webkit.

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 10:13:09

Firefox.

amazingly awesome

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 10:22:46

Chrome is faster and simpler then Firefox, thats why i like it :D

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else.

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 10:33:31

Chrome. I freaking love my borders on it :3

A vagina is really just a hat for a penis.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 11:42:06

Google Chrome is the best.

The theory of the devil is troll physics.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 11:59:23

Internet explorer. I know how to use it.

???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era,

What have I done with my life?

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 12:23:12

Google Chrome

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 12:46:53

Google Chrome rocks my world

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 12:54:01

Guise I wuv my new browser! Add-ons to blend the best of everything!

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 13:01:01

At 1/2/11 10:11 AM, Wolfos wrote:
At 1/2/11 09:45 AM, Japati wrote: Chrome is based off of Safari.
Chrome isn't based off of Safari, Safari is based off Webkit, which isn't developed by Apple (although Apple helps developing it) and Chrome is also based off Webkit.

Yes, I know. I didn't ever say what Safari is based off of.
Chrome and Safari use the same framework, both in C++.
So I think it is legit to say that they are based off of each other, even though in commercial terms they were not.

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 13:04:47

At 1/2/11 01:01 PM, Japati wrote: Yes, I know. I didn't ever say what Safari is based off of.
Chrome and Safari use the same framework, both in C++.
So I think it is legit to say that they are based off of each other, even though in commercial terms they were not.

And you're incorrect again, Safari was written in Objective-C++, only the webkit part is C++.

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 13:07:20

At 1/2/11 11:59 AM, aListers wrote: Internet explorer. I know how to use it.

No, there's no way that using it could make it better in any way. For once, this is not an opinion, this is a fact.
IE is a slow piece of shit. End of.

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 13:10:37

At 1/2/11 01:07 PM, Japati wrote:
At 1/2/11 11:59 AM, aListers wrote: Internet explorer. I know how to use it.
No, there's no way that using it could make it better in any way. For once, this is not an opinion, this is a fact.
IE is a slow piece of shit. End of.

Noob's using wrong arguments but he's got the right idea. There's no reason to use IE, other browsers are more user friendly.

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 13:12:48

i use firefox, although im sure its not the fastest, man my cpu is already slow...

i dont like firefox's pop-up blocker

2 pop ups show up on my screen

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 13:14:01

I think we should all have a look at THIS.
The facts never lie.

If you are stupid enough to buy a mac then you're in luck, you won't need to download Safari!
If you are smart enough to not download Safari and not bow down to Steve Jobs, then you are smart enough to download Chrome instead!
YAY.

I just solved world internet hunger.

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 13:15:14

At 1/2/11 01:14 PM, Japati wrote: I think we should all have a look at THIS.
The facts never lie.

If you are stupid enough to buy a mac then you're in luck, you won't need to download Safari!
If you are smart enough to not download Safari and not bow down to Steve Jobs, then you are smart enough to download Chrome instead!
YAY.

Forgot my link, sorry.

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 14:10:43

I generally use Chrome or Rockmelt, which are both awesome.
I hate Internet explorer, and Firefox is good, I just don't use it.

Pm me for a pleasant conversation or for help with anything.

Thanks to JebbaL for the awesome sig.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 14:12:01

This one

Oh wait.

"To know what a paradox is, you musn't understand this sentence"

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 14:41:38

At 1/2/11 02:12 PM, ARGNAGRAM wrote: This one

Oh wait.

Forgot to post pic

"To know what a paradox is, you musn't understand this sentence"

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 14:45:04

Firefox because of the add-ons.

<3

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 15:36:57

Its between safari and firefox for me.

Everything is a conspiracy

Musical Dreams

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 15:38:45

...because the internet is a dirty whore.

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 16:08:49

At 1/2/11 01:14 PM, Japati wrote: I think we should all have a look at THIS.
The facts never lie.

YAY.

Oh fuck off, Macs are pretty good depending on what you want to do with your computer. Photoshop for instance is at least 2 times faster on OS-X and it's not even optimized properly.

Anyway, Safari is crap, don't use it because it has a shitload of security leaks.

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 16:14:06

Chrome is where its at.

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 16:19:57

Google Chrome.
Because I'm a sucker for new things

and peer pressure

The Originals //::// Drumming //::// KoL //://

Olskool Win

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Internet Browser 2011-01-02 16:21:37

Firefox because of ad-blocker, its speed, and it customization.