00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RhubarbRumble just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~

9,431 Views | 44 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello there, NewGrounds Audio Portal! Eventually someone was going to have to do this, and I'm proud to have begun it.

Basically, if you have any questions about GarageBand, I or someone else who has a broad knowledge of it will answer it to the best of our ability. I myself have only worked with Garageband 3 & 5 ('09); If you need help with the latest features of the new Garageband ('11) such as Flex Time or Groove Matching, I myself can only recommend you visit these links to aid you best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l_2MYSu-
ac
, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnS1nlU64 Ho; other than that others may be able to help you better with those features than I certainly would.

Since I'm currently out of school for the holidays, I'll be able to be most attentive to any inquiries at this time. Don't be shy, all are welcome!

Also, if you actually just want to discuss other GarageBand related stuff, like comments on new or old features/versions, or how u (or heck, even me!)make your awesome tunes in said DAW, have at it! This is your source for all things GB!

Peace.

-FTA

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2010-12-20 11:39:35

HOW TO ADD VSTS/PLUGINS TO GARAGEBAND.

This is a tutorial process essay I wrote for a garageband class. It's not much, but can show you how to use garageband to its fullest capabilities.

Garageband is an audio production program that comes installed with every Mac computer. Professional companies from all around the world use it to easily create high quality voice and music for commercials, movies, and much more. When used correctly, Garageband can be an extremely powerful tool. Most audio producers think that Garageband is more of a beginner's tool because it seems to have limited features with built in lessons and tutorials to teach people how to use and play instruments. Sure, it can really help get people started in the audio production world, but with proper usage the possibilities are endless. Built in editable instruments and Audio Unit support are two important and overlooked features in Garageband. When these features are fully mastered, Garageband can be used to create some amazing tunes. Go ahead and start a new Garageband project

Garageband has a large selection of pre-set editable midi instruments available. They can be found by clicking the "I" icon at the bottom right corner of the screen. Once you click the "I" icon, a panel will open up right above it containing a list of instruments such as "Pianos and Keyboards," "Guitars," and "Synth Basics." When you click one of these instrument categories, you will see a list of specific instruments related to that category open up right next to it. These instruments are all very nice and already open up possibilities for audio creation.

Next to the "Browse" button at the top of the instrument list is a button labeled "Edit". This button allows full control of each instrument, creating an interface that allows the user to unleash their full musical creativity. Each instrument has a range of adjustments including reverb, filtering, and treble reduction. All you have to do is click an empty slot under the "Effects" window, or click the icon underneath the "Sound Generator". By default, it already has a Compressor added. Try experimenting with every instrument and effect. They can be very powerful for creating handcrafted sounds.

Built in instruments with thousands of sound combinations might seem nice and all, but that doesn't compare to the fact that Garageband allows the user to incorporate additional features in programs known as "Plugins" and "Audio Units". Known as a VST on a PC, Audio Units can be used to create an extremely wide range of effects and sounds, expanding on what Garageband has to offer. Virtual synthesizers, modulators, oscillators, and distortion effects are just a few on a large list of items available. There are literally thousands of Audio Units and Plugins that can be used to create millions of sounds. Knowing how to put them into Garageband can be very helpful. Since Garageband is for the Mac, most audio units and plugins are free. There are multiple websites that carry them along with a truck load of other helpful virtual audio tools. HitSquad is my personal favorite website for downloadable content.

Once the plugin or audio unit is found, make sure to read the users manual for that specific tool. Most of them time it will have a ".component" or ".vst" file extension and have a white block icon with a green "X" on it. Normally this icon should be dragged into the Components folder or VST folder located inside the plugin folder in the audio library. Don't worry, it is very easy to install. It's all just dragging and dropping a file. After it is dragged and dropped inside the designated folder, restart Garageband.

Every VST and audio unit will have a different interface. Some might be complicated while other might be easy as pie. Reading the users manual is an important and helpful step before processing onto using the tool. When ready, open Garageband, start a new project, and click the instrument name underneath the "Edit" tab. It should say something like, "Piano," "Guitar," or "Trumpet." When you click the instrument name, a list of audio units and instruments will pop up. Select the audio unit you just installed and the instrument icon should change. The audio unit or plugin that is being used is acting just like an instrument, so the same basic editing rules apply. Simply click the instrument and all of the options for editing it will appear. For me, I am using the "Magical 8-bit Plugin" to create some neat Atari sound effects.

Now all that is left to do is to hit the record button. Open up your virtual keyboard by pressing shift, apple, and the "K" key and start recording by pressing the red, circular button If you do not want to use the Garageband virtual keyboard, then you should invest in buying a MIDI keyboard that you can plug into your computer. This way, you can play the keyboard as you do a piano and record everything your playing right into your computer. There are hundreds of midi keyboards to choose from, some that have their own built in plugins and VST's for creating sounds as you have learned how to on Garageband. For now, it is much easier to use the virtual keyboard. If you get interested in buying a keyboard, go down to your local Guitar Center and ask for assistance on choosing the best keyboard for you. Do your research, and you should be able to find a fantastic keyboard, or even a synthesizer.

By mastering these techniques, Garageband can be taken to a completely different level. With practice, you can master its tools and create ear candy music. Remember to take it one step at a time. Don't overwhelm yourself with to many plugins at once. Learn how to use each one, one by one. If you get to complicated to quickly, you will find yourself face to face with a lot of windows with hundreds of knobs and buttons that confuse you. You should learn how adjusting certain things effects the sound you are trying to produce. It is all about experimenting and practicing. Once you fully understand how to create sounds, you will be able to make some great synths and beats. Good luck, and spread the word about how Garageband is a great program to use.

----

Not the best written tutorial in the universe, but it get's its point across... I guess. :p

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2010-12-20 12:25:36

I'm impressed, FatKidWithAJetpak. It looked very thorough and useful to helping to get a Garageband user to go from amateur to mogul within one post. I too have experimented with the Magical 8-bit plugin, and am impressed with what it can pull off, in terms of its "native" sound.

Also, in case no ones heard my "Dungeon of Serenity" demo, if you want to add the Peruvian Ocarina soundfount (.sf2) to your GB [DLS] library you'll find it here: http://www.store.precisionsound.net/ocar inainfo.php

Need help understanding how to install soundfonts in GarageBand? This place should help show u the ropes best: http://www.thegaragedoor.com/tutorials/s ftutorial.html

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2010-12-23 00:30:08

Hey, did you know that there are "hidden" instruments built into GarageBand? If you explore around and

check out the "edit" area of an instrument you'll find the Sound Generator near the top. Here, you'll have access to multiple soundfonts that aren't instantly found in the [main] instruments menu. A good number of the soundfonts here exist outside the Sound Generator, but the exceptions are those that mainly belong to the "Analog", "Digital", and "Hybrid" families.

A lot of them sound perfect for old school tunes or space music, I'm personally in love with ones like "Galactic Static" and "Spacious" (both found in Hybrid Morph).

So, if you're not one who wants to go through an approximately 6 minute video to get that 8bit sound you've been looking for (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0U-IHrc FlU), you can just stroll through Analog Basic's family and tinker around with 8bit-like soundfonts such as the "Bright Square Bass"!

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2010-12-27 21:50:15

At 12/20/10 12:25 PM, FaeryTaleAdventurer wrote: Need help understanding how to install soundfonts in GarageBand? This place should help show u the ropes best: http://www.thegaragedoor.com/tutorials/s ftutorial.html

One pro-tip (not indicated in the aforementioned tutorial) here to mention is that after you select the soundfont in the DLSMusicDevice's options, when saving as a new instrument, it is suggested that you FIRST go to the "browse" area of the instruments menu and select the instrument family you think the soundfont's instrument fits best in (for example: after installing and selecting a Peruvian Ocarina soundfont from the DLSMusicDevice menu, select "Woodwinds" (at least that's where I'd put it) from the "browse" menu and save your new instrument) so that way, you'll be able to find/recall [where] that particular new instrument quicker, after you save it!

Have fun!! <(^-^)>

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2010-12-28 00:36:42

In Audicity there is an Amplify feature which is very useful when recording live instruments and bumping their levels way up after compressing them.

In Garageband is there a way to amplify the audio in a similar way? It seems like Garageband only lets you turn up the audio a little bit, which is useless if you've got a very low recording.

s

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2010-12-28 02:57:28

double click the track icon, go to the menu that pops up, select edit (if you want to boost just one instrument stick to real/ software instrument or master track if you want to boost everything.) slap the AUmultiband compressor on to the master track. click the compressors icon and play with the gain settings.

now i haven't used garage band in years and im away from reliable monitors/ cans but if my experience with other apps pulls through then you should now have a larger sound to play with.

quarl BandCamp

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2010-12-28 13:10:45

Great, that works Quarl, thanks!

Isn't as great as audicitiys amplify, as it doesn't auto show the clip level (you have to watch the red in GB). Still, it's workable.

Thanks again!

s

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2011-01-06 20:26:48

I found out about a particular feature of GarageBand by accident last year (2010), when I was trying to find some information on MIDI music production, I think.

Have a look at this!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYvQuelOS qI

Note: this isn't the exact video I recall finding, but it still talks about the same thing.

One word of caution for those using this feature is to be sure to contact/credit the original MIDI file author before considering sharing/uploading a [edited] GarageBand version of their work with others, even if it's cover music of a video game song.

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2011-01-07 18:16:26

I found that when i turn up the volume on about four or more tracks, thatmy speakers make a quite buzzing sound. I would just turn the volume down, but then the volume of the song becomes much lower than that of an ordinary song(any other song in my itunes). I dont know what the problem is, if it something to do with the eq or whatnot. Please leave me a message in my inbox if you can help, and also feek free to check out my song(made with gb) and leave constructive criticism. Thank you in advance

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2011-01-19 22:27:37

I sent you a PM, by request. Hope it helps!

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2011-01-20 06:36:31

Wobble Bass in Grageband.

Step 1: Add a instrument track (obviously), in the menu to the right click Bass -> Deep round synth bass.

Step 2: Click the "Edit" tab to the right of "browse" and click the tab below "Digital Mono" in the "Sound Generator" box.

Step 3: Select "Dnb Bass".

Step 4: Add "Automatic" filter as an effect and set the intensity high.

Step 5: Set the "Speed" to the desired rate.

BBS Signature

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2011-01-26 00:34:06

Nice, I could really see some uses with that in the future!.

A number of Snow Leopard users, if not all, have had no success finding the appropriate path for the MandT77.aif file for the AMG Mandolin Tremolo instrument. I had addressed this on the KVR forums, and even PM'd a couple vids to a Samples4 member, to prove a point, about the difference in search efficiency between Tiger and Leopard/Snow Leopard users.

The [AMG] associate said that the path is system-specific, and I have found that to be a bit true. The end path to the Mandolin Tremolo folder differs slightly at the end, but only really at the end.

From Tiger's Spotlight I've found the path to the folder to be ~/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instruments Library/Sampler/Sampler Files/AMG Mandolin/Mandolin Tremolo

Now, the path is slightly different in Snow Leopard (can't really remember the difference that well), from what I recall, but you should still be able to find where you want to put the MandT77.aif file, from the given path information.

Here's a vid I made going from start to finish, in a proving way, of where to place the missing .aif file on your computer (note: it is unlisted (I have my reasons), so it can only be accessed wherever I place a link to it): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyaNj-yXe hk

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2011-02-25 20:20:37

At 1/20/11 06:36 AM, Usernamemyarse wrote: Wobble Bass in Grageband.

Step 1: Add a instrument track (obviously), in the menu to the right click Bass -> Deep round synth bass.

Step 2: Click the "Edit" tab to the right of "browse" and click the tab below "Digital Mono" in the "Sound Generator" box.

Step 3: Select "Dnb Bass".

Step 4: Add "Automatic" filter as an effect and set the intensity high.

Step 5: Set the "Speed" to the desired rate.

That's awesome!
--------------------------------
Hearing a lot of talk about dubstep lately, I think these videos may come in handy for those interested in doing dubstep in GB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3awly_2o Xo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzyj-8LWM mE&feature=related

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2011-03-11 14:43:13

love this forum, and i have another question.

to put things bluntly, i'm beginning to rape ass with garageband. i've been using it for more than 6 years, ever since i was 11. but sadly, my dad wont buy a new damn mac, and the garageband i'm using is incredibly old.

Q#1 does the newest version of garageband let you export at a desired quality?? Mine doesn't and it really pisses me off.

Q#2 can you upgrade to the newest version for free and still be able to edit your old garageband files?

thanks in advance

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2011-03-11 15:00:58

At 3/11/11 02:43 PM, knightlight87 wrote: love this forum, and i have another question.

to put things bluntly, i'm beginning to rape ass with garageband.

that's actually prohibited in the terms of usage

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2011-03-11 15:18:48

At 3/11/11 03:00 PM, SBB wrote:
At 3/11/11 02:43 PM, knightlight87 wrote: love this forum, and i have another question.

lol?

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2011-03-11 17:12:10

At 3/11/11 03:18 PM, knightlight87 wrote:
At 3/11/11 03:00 PM, SBB wrote:

lol?

Raping people in the ass.
Anyways:

q1: Yeah, you can choose the bitrate you want to export in.
q2: Im pretty damn sure you can, though i have only updated from 09 to 11 (and that worked out fine) i think Apple would enable you to use old files on newer versions.

BBS Signature

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2011-03-12 00:42:38

q1: Yeah, you can choose the bitrate you want to export in.
q2: Im pretty damn sure you can, though i have only updated from 09 to 11 (and that worked out fine) i think Apple would enable you to use old files on newer versions.

thanks man. what the highest bitrate it goes?

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2011-03-12 09:10:20

320 Kbs.

BBS Signature

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2011-03-13 13:09:01

At 3/12/11 09:10 AM, Usernamemyarse wrote: 320 Kbs.

good good.
16 bit?
24 bit?

and what frequency can it go up to

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2011-03-13 14:53:47

It appears that even with custom settings in GarageBand ['09], the highest sample rate is 44.1 kHz for AAC or Mp3 format. If you send the song to iTunes, you can raise the sample rate to 48.000 kHz, if you desire, given that you want the song in Mp3 format (you can make these settings in ITunes from |iTunes>Preferences...>Import Settings...> Import Using: Mp3 Encoder, then Setting: custom...|

As for bit quality (16-bit, 24-bit etc.) neither iTunes nor Garageband seems to want to share that bit of detail with anyone, and I personally could care less about that respect, really; however, if you want control in that field, it looks like Audacity would be your huckleberry, as it appears that you can set a bit floating point all the way up to 32-bit, needless to say the ability to tweak the sample rate to an insanely high 96 kHz (found in |Audacity>Preferences...>Quality|.

Hurray for post #101.

I'm off to save the world!

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2011-03-13 21:12:38

As for bit quality (16-bit, 24-bit etc.) neither iTunes nor Garageband seems to want to share that bit of detail with anyone, and I personally could care less about that respect, really; however, if you want control in that field, it looks like Audacity would be your huckleberry, as it appears that you can set a bit floating point all the way up to 32-bit, needless to say the ability to tweak the sample rate to an insanely high 96 kHz (found in |Audacity>Preferences...>Quality|.

right, but i dont understand something.
you'd think to raise the quality,(bits or frequency)
you'd have to save it at that quality in garageband.
is that not how it works?

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2011-03-16 00:11:43

Maybe. I couldn't tell you much about bit quality, as it's not immediately available to know, at least to me.

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2011-03-24 10:35:20

ite. thanks anyways.

i have another question, and i doubt anyone will know why this happens, but imma give it a shot anyways.

on my garageband songs, i usually only run my vocals through one effect.

multi-band compresser(default settings)
it makes the tracks very soft, so i usually crank up the db on the track to +6.
this works very well, because, it keeps the overall volume at a almost perfect level.

problem: sometimes when previewing the song, right where the vocal clip comes in,
i hear popping sound, which doesn't actually matter, except for the fact that when i export the song, it sometimes puts the "popping sound" into the finished aif.

i know it has something to do with the multiband compressor effect, but i really don't know what.

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2011-03-24 20:40:31

At 3/24/11 10:35 AM, knightlight87 wrote: ite. thanks anyways.

i have another question, and i doubt anyone will know why this happens, but imma give it a shot anyways.

on my garageband songs, i usually only run my vocals through one effect.

multi-band compresser(default settings)
it makes the tracks very soft, so i usually crank up the db on the track to +6.
this works very well, because, it keeps the overall volume at a almost perfect level.

problem: sometimes when previewing the song, right where the vocal clip comes in,
i hear popping sound, which doesn't actually matter, except for the fact that when i export the song, it sometimes puts the "popping sound" into the finished aif.

i know it has something to do with the multiband compressor effect, but i really don't know what.

Hmm, well, there are a few things I'd think about, to help fix this, but I can't guarantee much change with it, as I don't work all that much with vocals. A couple factors that immediately came to mind is that either 1. there is a lot going on when the vocals come in, perhaps making the CPU indicator turn yellow or red, or the master track is going into the red (or BOTH!).

Other than that, I think tinkering around with the Noise Gate feature might help minimize the noise if it's range doesn't hang in the same spot as the meat of the vocals do. Also maybe play around a bit with the multiband compressor itself to perhaps mask the frequency the popping noise may occupy (hopefully, this works and GB/Mac isn't trying to grind your gears).

Other than that, I don't know much else about what could cause it,

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2011-04-03 22:42:09

At 3/24/11 08:40 PM, FaeryTaleAdventurer wrote: A couple factors that immediately came to mind is that either 1. there is a lot going on when the vocals come in, perhaps making the CPU indicator turn yellow or red, or the master track is going into the red (or BOTH!).]

That's called clipping and I have a feeling that's definitely you're problem. Look for the clipping indicators. They turn red when you over amplify the sound. Instead of putting a compressor on the instrument, put it on the master track and play with the compressors gain to boost your overall sound. Compressors don't just minimize sounds but they can also boost them if you play with em.

Now, lets back up a little. You'll want to keep your instrument levels under control first so it might be better to just mix your work at a normal level BEFORE you slap a compressor on anything. Turn the volume up on your headphones or monitor before you boost the instrument levels in the program.

quarl BandCamp

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2011-04-21 10:48:53

Back whit another tutorial, this time on soundfonts.
For those that have no idea what Soundfonts are, their instruments and are usually free, if your a composer on a budget i suggest checking them out.

The tutorial: http://www.thegaragedoor.com/tutorials/s ftutorial.html

BBS Signature

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2011-04-21 18:39:24

That's called clipping and I have a feeling that's definitely you're problem. Look for the clipping indicators. They turn red when you over amplify the sound. Instead of putting a compressor on the instrument, put it on the master track and play with the compressors gain to boost your overall sound. Compressors don't just minimize sounds but they can also boost them if you play with em.

Now, lets back up a little. You'll want to keep your instrument levels under control first so it might be better to just mix your work at a normal level BEFORE you slap a compressor on anything. Turn the volume up on your headphones or monitor before you boost the instrument levels in the program.

thanks for the advice, but you're thinking i'm alittle more noob than i am.
it's not clipping forshure, which is why it's weird. idk. i'll figure something out

Response to ~>the Garageband Q&a/chat Corner!<~ 2011-04-21 21:07:06

At 4/21/11 10:48 AM, Usernamemyarse wrote: Back whit another tutorial, this time on soundfonts.
For those that have no idea what Soundfonts are, their instruments and are usually free, if your a composer on a budget i suggest checking them out.

The tutorial: http://www.thegaragedoor.com/tutorials/s ftutorial.html

lol, I did make note of this link in one of my posts above, but I think ppl will have a better chance of seeing said link in your post, than in my wall of text there. :-D