00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Allthingz2020 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Winds of Change

74,979 Views | 439 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 13:38:18

Can I still find a song on youtube, and record the song with voice recording equipment to put in my flash? And I'll probably be there, I live in Lebanon, PA, which is somewhat near Philly.

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 14:20:43

Originality = Thumbs up!

The means of which this post was made is in poor taste though... Tom shouldn't be telling anyone to DO or NOT DO anything... He is no god, nor an authoritative figure in your life... He is a man who owns a website/company, nothing more...

I hope developers of original content are stirred to start their own websites for their own individual content. Starting teams and companies aside from this place as they move on from the orange city! If working together is the key to Tom's statement then work together but do it in a smart fashion with the goal to benefit -your- team not Newgrounds! Why give Newgrounds the traffic/money when it can be your own!

And finally:

If you want to make a flash music video of your favorite song -DO IT-. Do what you want and be happy! Just don't post it here as they surely don't want your work. Share it with as many people as you want, its your gift!

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 14:33:05

google is your friend.

Its not Newgrounds' friend anymore :P

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 14:38:30

I'll offer my help if anyone's looking for particular songs in the Audio Portal. I know about loads of songs in the Audio Portal (heck, 80%+ of my music folder consists of Audio Portal songs).

So if anyone has any trouble looking for a song for his/her flash, feel free to PM me. Additionally, you can always ask for particular music for your flash in the Audio Forum.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 15:19:35

At 12/13/10 10:32 AM, TheElSalvador wrote: This is about artistic integrity and forming collaborations with fellow artists to create completely new and unique art, for that's what a flash should be. It's also a warning to newbies/dumbasses/talentless assclowns that there are consequences to using things without permission. Something most people learned in childhood.

Lolno, it's an attempt to keep the mindless art-hating totalitarian nutcases at the copyright agencies off NG's ass.

Stop riding the corporate cock. It's been widely accepted for at least a century that the ideal of total originality in art is complete and utter bullshit. Ever read that one Asimov book with the civilization where scientists refuse to build on the work of others and so progress is significantly held back? That's the sort of situation that big business is attempting (and, unfortunately, apparently succeeding) to force on the art world.

wolf piss

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 15:58:13

Tom stop sucking riaa's cock and do something useful

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 16:00:10

I have a feeling newgrounds is slowly changing into youtube 2

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 16:10:30

At 12/13/10 03:15 AM, michelinman wrote: words

-RIAA Headquarters
"Hey Bill,"
"Yeah?"
"Come here and look at this post I found by this random guy on the internet"
"Hmm...hmm...hmmmmm...Well fuck, he's got a point."
"Damn it, you're right, shut everything down. We had a good run."
"Yeah, I guess we did John, I guess we did."
"I'll get Washington on the line and tell them to abolish all of the copyright laws."

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 16:18:39

I'm all for using Newgrounds' content, and although I know there are indeed websites that offer royalty-free sound effects (often they are kinda sub-par, but that's beside the point), perhaps it'd be great if Newgrounds users uploaded sound effects of their own, and could compile them in one place? Not necessarily a new portal, but somewhere flash artists could find them. I don't even know how many people are into making sound effects, but that could be a great resource for flash-ers.

Boop boop beep boop.

BBS Signature

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 16:59:40

I do actually believe the idea of everyone working together is a great idea, and so is not using copyrighted material... the problem is that only the latter aspect I believe can actually be made a reality. The problem the worries is, generally speaking, is that - especially in regards to art assets - people will tell others they are not worthy of their help if the person asking is not already established. People seem perfectly willing to help someone if they already have a name for themself, but these terms seem like they will serve to increase the difficulty of getting there. I fear this movement will create an access to resources having elite, because far too often you need stuff you can't just find randomly laying around. The only help non already made people will be able to find will be from people whose work isn't good, because they were unwanted by established elite who had no need of their crap, and thus the work made from it won't be able to establish anyone to a level where they can actually get access to good help.

Do not be confused, I do think it's a good idea people stop using copyrighted images and the like. I just think the alternative suggestion that you get the community to work with you to produce what you need will only work for the already most godly people here. Everyone else will be left out in the cold with no resources legal or illegal from this point on, or at least no resources of a quality such that anyone will ever care about their product.

You can enforce a ban on illegal material usage, and you most certainly should, but how the hell do you intend to enforce a truly communist sharing of help with no status tiers forming within it?

Chrono Trigger Unglued - A Flash Retelling of Chrono Trigger that knows just how important your Ether is.

Work-Study - Squirrel Armies, Code Red, Elite Booze Agents, & More!

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 17:05:01

So much for my next game idea, Clipart Pirate RPG.

BBS Signature

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 17:08:58

I'd say we should take down approximately 50% of the Portal then. Most of them all have unlicensed music..

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 17:31:11

At 12/13/10 04:59 PM, Clovis15 wrote: how the hell do you intend to enforce a truly communist sharing of help with no status tiers forming within it?

make the default license allow all credited uncommercial use of the whatever and let laziness run its course

wolf piss

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 17:41:34

At 12/13/10 02:20 PM, SoundAlchemy wrote: Originality = Thumbs up!

The means of which this post was made is in poor taste though... Tom shouldn't be telling anyone to DO or NOT DO anything... He is no god, nor an authoritative figure in your life... He is a man who owns a website/company, nothing more...

"The next time you are inspired to make an animation about a cool song you heard on the radio, DON'T, unless you are comfortable with the idea of only sharing it with yourself and a few close friends."

I don't see how this was me trying to be God. The people who post content on Newgrounds CAN get sued and charged licensing fees, this post was the result of some recent issues and I wanted to give people a stern warning. They can go ahead and start their own websites and get sued there, too. Your post seemed like it was trying to hurt NG more than help anyone.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 17:41:47

At 12/13/10 03:19 PM, LordZeebmork wrote: Lolno, it's an attempt to keep the mindless art-hating totalitarian nutcases at the copyright agencies off NG's ass.

Stop riding the corporate cock. It's been widely accepted for at least a century that the ideal of total originality in art is complete and utter bullshit. Ever read that one Asimov book with the civilization where scientists refuse to build on the work of others and so progress is significantly held back? That's the sort of situation that big business is attempting (and, unfortunately, apparently succeeding) to force on the art world.

I assure you, I ride no cock. I speak for the artists, not for corporations as I have very little business sense.

Building on the work of others is one thing, but using someone's stuff without permission is the issue here. You can't force anyone to share. You can protect your own work from piracy or choose to share it, that's your choice as an artist. Which is good because where is the incentive to create anything if your ideas aren't yours the instant you create them?

When the world abides by the "everything is mine" mentality true ownership goes out the window and with it the artists' desire to create. It's everyone's right to protect their property, intellectual or otherwise.

I ruined 3 monitors trying to write my name in this box.

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 19:19:02

At 12/11/10 01:24 PM, YChang wrote: Notice how all the people who make good stuff are happy about more original content, while all the people who make shitty stuff are like 'wait wut but why can't i use sprite sheets from google to make my waste of space animations'

I wonder how many of the butthurt kids cryfacing about their "right" to gank and use shit that isn't theirs even own legal copies of Flash in the first place?
I've never really understood why someone WOULDN'T want to make something with entirely original content, I mean I get that sometimes people are inspired by or get ideas from things that they see/hear elsewhere, but wouldn't you still be able to take more pride in something knowing that you and/or people you worked directly with created all of the content together?

Also, Alvin-Earthworm is going to be crushed.
That is all.

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 19:51:06

At 12/13/10 03:19 PM, LordZeebmork wrote: Stop riding the corporate cock. It's been widely accepted for at least a century that the ideal of total originality in art is complete and utter bullshit.

Theres a fine line between sharing ideas and taking the products of those ideas without permission. Yeah corporations use copyright law to take advantage of artist, that's no secret. Copyright law also helps protect the little guys from large companies as well.

It's not like we need to use copyrighted materials to express ourselves. If anything, using original works and releasing them under creative commons is the first step towards free media.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 20:15:51

I like this. This is quite cool.

Although, now I realize how much of a potential bother I was. My apologies.

I will be more mindful of this in the future. I have to admit, though, this puts a damper on some bits of current and future projects. I'll see what I can do to remedy them.

By the way, and this may be a silly question, but do small parts of the music count?

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 20:38:19

I think disallowing copyrighted music is an awesome idea.

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 21:19:14

Four hundred replies, wow! Now that I think about it, there's really no reason to worry. Music pirating is so widespread that it can't be stopped. If the mods start cracking down on it, people will just leave and post it elsewhere where it will be accepted.

There are plenty of places to post your work, whether it contains copyrighted content or not. So worry not, Newgrounders! Dry your eyes, stand tall and let them know you will not be shaken! You are not the slave, but the master! Your content is what keeps this site going, and if you give it nothing it will die.

"There comes a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can't take part, you can't even passively take part; and you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon wheels, and upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you've got to make it stop! And you've got to indicate to the people who run it and to the people who own it that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all." -Mario Savio.

Some of the best animations, such as Anime Munters, Stamp on the Ground, and Babylon Hot Nights have copyrighted audio. Consider that next time you hear somebody talking about censoring.

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 21:49:01

Maybe this will turn away some users and maybe that's the best gift of all. Merry Xmas for NewGrounds!

I ruined 3 monitors trying to write my name in this box.

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 22:20:07

At 12/13/10 07:19 PM, redminus wrote: Also, Alvin-Earthworm is going to be crushed.
That is all.

Made me lol!

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 22:55:02

At 12/13/10 09:19 PM, AngelofPeace wrote: Your content is what keeps this site going, and if you give it nothing it will die.

Luckily, many talented artists are willing to continue submitting content!

These will be good holidays indeed!

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 23:16:29

wow..how fuckin lame. the only reason newgrounds was still cool was because I THOUGHT it didn't give a fuck about those stupid ass rules against fair use of using whatever the fuck you want. whatever happened to fighting against BBC to defend your teletubby parodies? newgrounds was the last site that seemed to still actually be against this exact kind of thing and now they're giving in like all the others. I understand newgrounds had always been 99% about user created content. but this goes against a lot of what newgrounds used to stand for in terms of it's "fuck the system" ideals. next thing you know they'll take shit down that satirizes the government, religion, and create a system that flags offensive content. aka half of the shit submitted from '98-2010.

these new changes are bullshit.

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 23:24:36

At 12/13/10 11:16 PM, averageroadkill wrote: these new changes are bullshit.

There's the door. Go play anarchy somewhere else.

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 23:34:28

While this is good news for originality, it is also yet another sign that freedom, currently on and of the internet, is being systematically destroyed.

BBS Signature

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 23:41:40

At 12/13/10 11:24 PM, BlackClown wrote:

And what exactly have you contributed to this website besides generic "snobby 13-year-old" posts?

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-13 23:56:59

At 12/13/10 11:41 PM, averageroadkill wrote:
At 12/13/10 11:24 PM, BlackClown wrote:
And what exactly have you contributed to this website besides generic "snobby 13-year-old" posts?

Making you leave if I'm lucky.

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-14 00:13:45

I'm a musician/ recording engineer... I can do audio!

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-14 02:40:55

FOR FUCK SAKE! ALL TOM IS TRYING TO SAY IS THAT THERE IS HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF SUBMISSION ON THIS WEBSITE AND IF YOU WANT TO MAKE IT TO FRONT PAGE OR IN A COLLECTION THEN DON'T MAKE SOMETHING THAT HAS A SONG ON THE TOP 20 IN IT! FUCK!

I'm a new poster but long fucking time lurker and you have to be shitting me. The amount of people complaining. Seriously, it's not like half of you are even gonna make it to the front page or want to included in a collection anyway. Honestly, shut the fuck up and take it on the chin. Tom is giving you all fair warning that if say WMG, Universal, Sony or EMI tries to sue you and you claim that Newgrounds is some sort of safe haven, that it's not and they have fair right and ground to sue you. As far as I know a lot of artists here make money using the adds on their submissions here and if they have copy righted material in their submission without permission, that is ILLEGAL.

Tom does not want to have lawyers on his ass all day and have to defend all of you for your stupid actions. It's not a change from anything, nothing has changed, just you won't see many submissions with copy righted material on the front page or in collections any more. You can still upload your submissions and you can still share them with everyone on the internet, just it will be in the little blackspot and hard to find....... As with MANY THOUSANDS of other submission that DON'T have copy righted material.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this but I'm just getting tired of reading all this shit on here.