00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

DashXero just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Winds of Change

74,974 Views | 439 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:20:48

I want everyone who creates content to read this post very carefully and take it very seriously.

The next time you are inspired to make an animation about a cool song you heard on the radio, DON'T, unless you are comfortable with the idea of only sharing it with yourself and a few close friends. Otherwise, take that inspiration and find a song you have permission to use. There are thousands of artists in the Audio Portal who are available for that sort of thing, as well as independent artists across the web who can be contacted for permission.

The next time you need art for your game or movie, DO NOT image search Google and grab something from the results. Many of those items are registered with enforcement agencies that will levy strict penalties for unlicensed use.

I know the web and Newgrounds have been like the wild west, but times are changing.

Newgrounds will be a better place if everyone here learns to work together instead of turning outward for resources. If you need a background, song, title screen, etc., someone here can help you with it. We will continue to work to make that easier, because there is no alternative.

If you are starting a project now and hope to be featured on NG when you're done, keep this post in mind. Content featuring original art and audio will be king. Parodies are still fair game and part of our culture, but you've probably already noticed only a handful of sprite movies have made front page this year.

Also dicks are still ok.

--- BREAKING NEWS ---

If you live in or near Philadelphia, don't miss your chance to visit Bob at the Punk Rock Flea Market tomorrow, Saturday, December 11th. Print out his blog post and bring it in exchange for a $5 Penicorn!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:21:09

At 12/10/10 11:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: Also dicks are still ok.

Thank god.

BBS Signature

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:24:07

I'm still going to do most of this.

BBS Signature

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:24:11

I had a feeling this would happen sooner or later, especially when other sites get a lot of shit for copyrighted content they have. I don't make flash animations these days with the exception of special occasions but I will keep this in mind if I have a small idea I'll actually go ahead with.

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:25:06

oh the times they are a changin!

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:26:26

first page

Also, thank you very much for dicks still being okay. Where would NG be without dicks?

I HAVE SWITCHED ACCOUNTS!! I am now Reici

BBS Signature

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:27:50

At 12/10/10 11:20 AM, TomFulp wrote:
If you are starting a project now and hope to be featured on NG when you're done, keep this post in mind. Content featuring original art and audio will be king. Parodies are still fair game and part of our culture, but you've probably already noticed only a handful of sprite movies have made front page this year.

Also dicks are still ok.

I am okay with this news. I'd like to see more NG audio in our own flashes, and we have an army of artists of many types. Original content is king.

Thank god we can still have dick jokes. Haha

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:28:19

We can still make animations about the admins, right?

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:29:12

So, I would not be allowed to use this nature music?

I am not sure if that is copyrighted or not... typically, whenever I do a solo project, I stretch inwards to Newgrounds. (That sounded sexual) Newgrounds has many portals, each designed for their own specific purposes. Each portal creates a community, and those communities are brought together because each community needs eachoter to create games, animations, art, lit, and music. If I need a song for my upcoming game, I go to the audio community and look for some exciting music. If I need an BG artist for an animation, I go to the art portal and look for someone who is great with drawing backgrounds.

Newgrounds is an awesome community and I think we all need to learn to work together more often, which is already done a lot gladly!

POST SUMMED UP: Don't go to google for recourses, go to NEWGROUNDS >:C

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:35:10

At 12/10/10 11:30 AM, Piss wrote: As a user who does not contribute to any media on this website I can confidently say that I am okay with this.

second'

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:35:49

At 12/10/10 11:30 AM, Manly-Chicken wrote: God damn it! Now I cant make a music video for space oddity by david bowie with tom fulp as major tom!
it was perfect!

Seconded. We need a little clarification.
Are we not allowed to make animutations anymore? 'Cuz I have one in the works right now...

I maek lolz. I play Steam. I fight for genital integrity.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:36:40

So gay! The internet should be a free play zone for content. Does this have to do with that fucking wiki leaks guy? Or are all sites just getting shit? And who's giving the, shit?

Yeah originality is the way to go, but this is gonna be harmful to what NG stands for. Plus the user base is all amateur and very young. So to insist that content be all made by the owner or from here is even more difficult.

All in all it's just too bad. Or maybe good? I don't know.

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:37:00

I love the idea. Original content is the way to go.
In the audio portal, copyrighted sampling has been against the rules for as long as I can remember, it was about time that that rule moved on the flash portal.

I love to see originality supported like this.

Also, COCKS.

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:38:36

I'm actually good with this. Everyone on Newgrounds needs to work together more, it'll turn out better more original flashes =)

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:40:24

WOOPS, I posted the wrong link lmao.

I was wondering if I would be able to use this famous nature tune. I see it in many many many flashes, but simply would enjoy using it in mine because i think it is PERFECT lol...

So, would I be able to use this music? I am assuming I would need to go and find if it is copyrighted, but how would I go about doing that?

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:43:54

At 12/10/10 11:29 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: So, I would not be allowed to use this nature music?

I didn't hear any music or nature sounds in here, unless you meant the lightning sounds, which I think are you. :)

But anyone who is really serious about animating should consider buying a CD with ambient sounds such as storms, wind, oceans, etc... There are a lot of cheap CDs for that sort of thing, in fact this would be a good project for the Wiki. Ultimately we should also gather up as many free resources as we can.

BBS Signature

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:45:53

At 12/10/10 11:40 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: So, would I be able to use this music? I am assuming I would need to go and find if it is copyrighted, but how would I go about doing that?

I believe the composition of that music is public domain, but that individual performance is owned by SOMEONE and may not be in the public domain.

Maybe we should consider a contest where musicians on NG create original performances of popular public domain compositions... :P

BBS Signature

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:47:27

Fuck this shit. Maybe you all aren't aware of the "fair use" clause in the copyright law which basically says you can't use someone else's work for lucrative purposes, but you my use it for instructional and other non-profit ends.

If I wanna make a music video about Eminem's lose yourself, and I'm not making any money off the video then go ahead and sue me. You'll lose.

And why would Eminem sue me anyway? I'm a nobody.

Lawyers truly are demons.

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:47:35

We will do as you command.

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:48:24

Seriously, some of the stuff on the Audio and Art portals are better than the licensed music and art that's being used in some flash projects!

Give them a look!

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:51:03

At 12/10/10 11:48 AM, Ockeroid wrote: Seriously, some of the stuff on the Audio and Art portals are better than the licensed music and art that's being used in some flash projects!

Give them a look!

Plus when you team up with people on NG, you make talented friends for life, vs enemies who come out to get you later.

BBS Signature

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:51:11

Trust me tom I here you, my last submission had seven different songs from the portal, i actually had to cut a few because of size limit, i arg.

i try to keep everything within the grounds, if i can.

IF we cannot use outside sources due to copyright then newgrounds shall become the outside source by growing ever larger

BBS Signature

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:55:05

IM GONNA COPYRIGHT ALL DICKS ON THE INTERNET THEN PROFIT D:Fair use is appliable in the US, where NG is based, so that's all good. However, there are a number of users who actually submit content and make money from it, and not always give the full credit they should according to Fair Use. If I'm not mistaken, parodies are the safest card to play when you use copyrighted material, but it's been a while since I read up on Fair Use...

Either way, the best thing to do is to simply use what's available, or get something custom made, be it audio, artwork VA-talents or whatever. Like Tom says, the talent is right here on this site, so GOGOGO NG-COLLABS!

Wakka wakka

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 11:56:16

So, I assume the weird all collection will be mostly emptied out soon?

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 12:00:36

ai ai capitan

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 12:01:10

At 12/10/10 11:56 AM, ShawnDavidStruck wrote: So, I assume the weird all collection will be mostly emptied out soon?

Weird Al has actually given his blessing to people making videos of his stuff here, so that gets a pass.

BBS Signature

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 12:01:30

At 12/10/10 11:43 AM, TomFulp wrote: But anyone who is really serious about animating should consider buying a CD with ambient sounds such as storms, wind, oceans, etc...

Telling internet people to buy things.
Oh what dark times we live in.

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 12:03:47

At 12/10/10 11:43 AM, TomFulp wrote: There are a lot of cheap CDs for that sort of thing, in fact this would be a good project for the Wiki. Ultimately we should also gather up as many free resources as we can.

YES!

Maybe we should consider a contest where musicians on NG create original performances of popular public domain compositions... :P

YES again! There are some just plain awesome classical compositions out there that are part of the public domain that I would love to see in the audio portal. There are very talented musicians here and I would love to hear their takes on some classic pieces.

At 12/10/10 11:47 AM, AngelofPeace wrote: Fuck this shit. Maybe you all aren't aware of the "fair use" clause in the copyright law which basically says you can't use someone else's work for lucrative purposes, but you my use it for instructional and other non-profit ends.

If I wanna make a music video about Eminem's lose yourself, and I'm not making any money off the video then go ahead and sue me. You'll lose.

People like you probably aren't the problem. The problem is that as the web and Newgrounds has evolved artists have more tools to make money off their work with ads that are put in their movie. So if somebody makes an awesome game or movie with someone else's copyrighted images or music, that's when copyright law comes into play. Imagine if Toss the Turtle used space images that were copyrighted instead of his own drawings? THAT would be a lawsuit worth fighting.

Lawyers truly are demons.

My mommy and daddy are lawyers and you hurt my feelings.... :(
Funny enough though, I want to get into intellectual property law more-so because Newgrounds and the whole internet creativity culture and whatnot inspired me to find ways to help artists protect their work from such a thing Tom is talking about. There are always two sides.

Current Projects: Swimming Fiasco | Story of Gingie

BBS Signature

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 12:09:40

Pure NG content. So much more potent. Huge advocate.

BBS Signature

Response to Winds of Change 2010-12-10 12:14:58

At 12/10/10 12:03 PM, dirtshake wrote:
Funny enough though, I want to get into intellectual property law more-so because Newgrounds and the whole internet creativity culture and whatnot inspired me to find ways to help artists protect their work from such a thing Tom is talking about. There are always two sides.

Thanks for that. You're doing something about the problem instead of just complaining about it.