00:00
00:00

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Moderators??? 2010-11-24 14:10:38

People on the forum have this yellow aura,I've heard its called "moderators",how do I become one???Please leave a comment telling me how.

Moderators???

Foruming makes you 20% cooler.

BBS Signature

Response to Moderators??? 2010-11-24 14:16:57

You need to get asked by the admins. You'll be asked if they feel like you deserved it. For example because you are a good, mature and helpful poster and an example for other users (in case of forum modship).

DO NOT go around asking if you can be a moderator as this will only decrease your chances to ever become one.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Moderators??? 2010-11-24 14:24:44

At 11/24/10 02:16 PM, Auz wrote: DO NOT go around asking if you can be a moderator as this will only decrease your chances to ever become one.

Okay,im sorry

BBS Signature

Response to Moderators??? 2010-11-24 14:30:44

At 11/24/10 02:24 PM, caseyb wrote:
At 11/24/10 02:16 PM, Auz wrote: DO NOT go around asking if you can be a moderator as this will only decrease your chances to ever become one.
Okay,im sorry

That's okay, I'm not angry or anything. I just wanted to point that out explicitly.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Moderators??? 2010-11-24 14:31:46

At 11/24/10 02:30 PM, Auz wrote:
At 11/24/10 02:24 PM, caseyb wrote:
Okay,im sorry
That's okay, I'm not angry or anything. I just wanted to point that out explicitly.

Oh,okay.

BBS Signature

Response to Moderators??? 2010-11-24 21:08:58

Becoming a Moderator is awesome, And you can get the Golden Aura, Site Moderation is kinda awesome!

[Newgrounds Addict] [Internet Addict] [YouTube Addict] [King Of IM Messenger] [IM Messenger Addict] Sig by Coleco

BBS Signature

Response to Moderators??? 2010-11-26 19:01:26

Actually, no thats not the whole story- although you have been given one version of the official reply- there is a thread where you may request being a mod. Also, not all mods are by any means 'model posters' as the official Newgrounds FAQ would have you believe. Try taking a read of the Wikigrounds page on Moderators, it may give you a fuller picture.

It gives various links to threads etc you might want to explore on the subject. If working on the ofifcial Wiki interests you, you may contact the staff- you may also want to try your hand at editing the Wikigrounds Wiki, which may help you to get recommended/accepted for editing the Official one.

We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to Moderators??? 2010-11-26 20:59:50

At 11/26/10 07:01 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: Actually, no thats not the whole story- although you have been given one version of the official reply- there is a thread where you may request being a mod. Also, not all mods are by any means 'model posters' as the official Newgrounds FAQ would have you believe. Try taking a read of the Wikigrounds page on Moderators, it may give you a fuller picture.

It gives various links to threads etc you might want to explore on the subject. If working on the ofifcial Wiki interests you, you may contact the staff- you may also want to try your hand at editing the Wikigrounds Wiki, which may help you to get recommended/accepted for editing the Official one.

lol, that website is filled with incorrect information. Why would you bump a thread just to link to that? I mean, one of the paragraphs links to a thread where regular users say "Rucklo has the power to shoot lightning bolts from his wilkins" and "They can press F8 to fly around in a glowing ball of plasma and F7 to teleport." regarding 'Mod powers"

Also, I edited my own page to fix some incorrect info way back in the spring and some tard changed it back.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Peregrinus ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Moderators??? 2010-11-27 07:43:41

At 11/26/10 08:59 PM, Malachy wrote: lol, that website is filled with incorrect information. Why would you bump a thread just to link to that? I mean, one of the paragraphs links to a thread where regular users say "Rucklo has the power to shoot lightning bolts from his wilkins" and "They can press F8 to fly around in a glowing ball of plasma and F7 to teleport." regarding 'Mod powers"

You guys can't press F8 and fly around in a glowing ball of plasma?

Shit...all this time...

Minecraft server: alureon.net

PortalWatch 0.1 Alpha - Download

Sig by illicit

BBS Signature

Response to Moderators??? 2010-11-28 19:15:14

At 11/26/10 08:59 PM, Malachy wrote:
At 11/26/10 07:01 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: Actually, no thats not the whole story- although you have been given one version of the official reply- there is a thread where you may request being a mod. Also, not all mods are by any means 'model posters' as the official Newgrounds FAQ would have you believe. Try taking a read of the Wikigrounds page on Moderators, it may give you a fuller picture.

lol, that website is filled with incorrect information. Why would you bump a thread just to link to that?

- OK, since you asked...

I mean, one of the paragraphs links to a thread where regular users say "Rucklo has the power to shoot lightning bolts from his wilkins" and "They can press F8 to fly around in a glowing ball of plasma and F7 to teleport." regarding 'Mod powers"

-For the reasons stated in the post. Its up to the reader to decide whether they find any use or interest in the page. I don't think it matters that the thread has some funny things in it. The fact remains, that the quoted statements from FAQ do not tell the whole story.

Also, I edited my own page to fix some incorrect info way back in the spring and some tard changed it back.

-If you care to contact me I will chase that up and sort it. If I was that 'tard', I'm sorry. Indeed the Editors are contacting Mods asking for info about themselves at this time- If you care to give us some more info about yourself, we will look into improving your page.

Thanks for your interest in the Wiki, despite your current unimpressed opinion of it.

Like Newgrounds, wikigrounds will be what we all make of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Moderators??? 2010-11-28 20:18:44

At 11/28/10 07:15 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: Like Newgrounds, wikigrounds will be what we all make of it.

If you've got additional useful information that you feel has been left out, we would prefer that you just say it rather then injecting links to your other website. You seem to have developed a bad habit of bumping multi-day old stale threads in this forum apparently just to link to this other website. That is either lazy +1ing or repeatedly advertising another website (which we don't look too kindly on).

I find that moderating this forum is easy because I almost never have to do it, but I feel in this instance I need to make it clear that there must be some sort of quality control or limits to what it looks to me like you're doing. Your website appears to have misinformation or unverifiable assumptions about different aspects of Newgrounds. While your intent is likely noble, until you guys fix that kind of stuff, I don't feel comfortable having it used as a primary source to answer questions here.

I mean, at least when somebody says something that may be wrong in a thread, you've got the FAQ and the official NG Wiki pages to verify what they're saying or others to back them up/contradict them, but passing off another link as proof of one thing or another is kind of misleading and unnecessary. I don't think it's fair because you aren't exactly saying the wrong information in the thread so that others may be able to correct you, you are just linking to some other website without people being able to contradict it in the thread to nip the wrong information in the bud.

Perhaps Tom would appreciate your help with the real newgrounds wiki pages?

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Peregrinus ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Moderators??? 2010-11-29 12:13:26

At 11/28/10 08:18 PM, Malachy wrote: If you've got additional useful information that you feel has been left out, we would prefer that you just say it rather then injecting links to your other website. You seem to have developed a bad habit of bumping multi-day old stale threads in this forum apparently just to link to this other website. That is either lazy +1ing or repeatedly advertising another website (which we don't look too kindly on).

-- OK. I'm sorry. I didn't take any notice of the dates of the posts and I see your point of view on this. I am not actually a very experienced Poster and some of the subtleties of this may have escaped me. I admit to being motivated partly to promote Wikigrounds- We are establishing a careful relationship with many people and your comments will be all taken on board. I assure you, though, it was my intention to give additional information- Whilst the Wiki link was a simple way to do that, I am certainly not interested in +1 ing !

I find that moderating this forum is easy because I almost never have to do it, but I feel in this instance I need to make it clear that there must be some sort of quality control or limits to what it looks to me like you're doing. Your website appears to have misinformation or unverifiable assumptions about different aspects of Newgrounds. While your intent is likely noble, until you guys fix that kind of stuff, I don't feel comfortable having it used as a primary source to answer questions here.

Sorry I didn't see it as primary source, but as a collection of links etc, as open wiki's are usually viewed; however, I take your point.

Thank you for your opinion on our mod thread link- you will see I have edited it accordingly.

I mean, at least when somebody says something that may be wrong in a thread, you've got the FAQ and the official NG Wiki pages to verify what they're saying or others to back them up/contradict them, but passing off another link as proof of one thing or another is kind of misleading and unnecessary. I don't think it's fair because you aren't exactly saying the wrong information in the thread so that others may be able to correct you, you are just linking to some other website without people being able to contradict it in the thread to nip the wrong information in the bud.

Thank you for explaining exactly what troubles you in detail. I take the opinion of mods and our reputation in general very seriously and I will bear this all in mind.

Perhaps Tom would appreciate your help with the real newgrounds wiki pages?

Thank you very much for the suggestion. Actually, a small number of us are NG wiki "mods", but all they want us to do so far is to port information about games about. Not of any interest to me.

I won't post any further on this thread; I will make sure not to bump old threads without good reason and if I do I won't use links to Wikigrounds unless it is relevent to our usual enquiries, rather than to answer questions.

Thank you for your time

BBS Signature

Response to Moderators??? 2010-11-29 13:13:47

At 11/28/10 11:34 PM, Liquify wrote: Quick question.

Don't mods have to be adults?

I was just wondering this.

Not necessarily. In fact, SBB was audio-modded at 12 and BBS-modded at 13 (before demodding himself later on). I think maturity is more of a factor than age when it comes to moderators, even though in most cases age affects maturity.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Moderators??? 2010-11-29 13:56:21

That depends what you want to be, mod-wise I mean, let's take the example of the audio mods, you have to have a good knowledge of mainstream music (not a must but it helps). You have to also be responsible and if you hear a copyrighted sound, send a PM asking for an explanation and stuff like that. You also have to be active in the forums so people don't think you're dead :P
Hope that helped =)

Response to Moderators??? 2010-11-29 14:28:55

At 11/29/10 01:13 PM, Supersteph54 wrote: Not necessarily. In fact, SBB was audio-modded at 12 and BBS-modded at 13 (before demodding himself later on). I think maturity is more of a factor than age when it comes to moderators, even though in most cases age affects maturity.

That's true, but he also lied about his age and always added 3 years onto it.

Response to Moderators??? 2010-11-29 15:15:47

At 11/26/10 07:01 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: although you have been given one version of the official reply- there is a thread where you may request being a mod.

Is that thread still up? I remember seeing it a few months back but after quite a bit of searching, I still haven't found it.