00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Animation Practice!?

138,124 Views | 989 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Animation Practice!? 2011-12-26 01:51:50

Response to Animation Practice!? 2011-12-27 01:00:47

At 12/26/11 01:51 AM, Damien wrote: I made something.

Awesome. Reminds me of LazyMuffin

Response to Animation Practice!? 2011-12-27 17:45:41

At 12/27/11 01:10 PM, Otto wrote: Fluff, I gave it some more today. Had my tablet not working when I opened flash, but I've fixed all my drivers up now.

Boosted the fps to 30 to match the added inbetweens. The hair is yet to be done, I imagine that will be simple but tedious..

that's looking pretty nice, but 30 fps is NOT the way to go :P

industry standard is 24, as it works better for timing and gives the animation the feel of incomplete smoothness, which ends up making the animation look more attractive.

The theory is this: The less realistic and more simple an image looks, the more likable we'll find it because we'll pick out the things the seem more human, and attach to that. The more realistic something looks, the more creepy we'll find it because we'll point out the things that don't seem human (our eyes are brilliant at this) and attach to that.

This goes with all forms of realism/simplification. The smoother something becomes, the less appealing it looks overall and the more we'll avoid it. The choppier something becomes, so long as the prime movement is still there, the more we'll enjoy it. This animation is a great example of this. It uses a human body as a puppet for stop motion, and while watching it and studying it, you can tell that it IS stop motion. You can also tell that if they had just done CG for it instead of stop motion and had the man film out the actions it wouldn't look nearly as good.

24fps is the perfect mix of choppiness and timing potential. It makes it easier to time out basic movements from everyday life and chop things into halves (24,12, 6) rather than 30fps (30, 15, ....7.5?) and keeps it from dipping into the uncanny valley (which is the point where something looks too real and ends up looking creepy)

Sig made by me

Once again i'm falling down a mountain like a metaphor

Here ends another post by the grand master of all things: fluffkomix

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Practice!? 2011-12-29 00:54:51

How do you animate colored cartoons on Flash?
I am confused on how to keep a constant line quality for every frame. Do I retrace the character on every frame? And do I recolor the character individually on each frame?

It's a pain in the ass and I was wondering if there were better methods.

kkk

Response to Animation Practice!? 2011-12-29 09:13:36

At 12/29/11 12:54 AM, davimink wrote: I am confused on how to keep a constant line quality for every frame.

This is why the line tool was created: For consistent linework. However, many prefer the brush tool.

Do I retrace the character on every frame? And do I recolor the character individually on each frame?

Yes, if you're doing FBF.

It's a pain in the ass and I was wondering if there were better methods.

The better method in this instance would be creating a tweenable character rig.

Response to Animation Practice!? 2011-12-30 22:40:17

I NEED TO FIND A FREE FLASH PROGRAM! Can you help with suggestions? Anyone?

Response to Animation Practice!? 2011-12-30 22:56:26

At 12/30/11 10:40 PM, Roxas552 wrote: I NEED TO FIND A FREE FLASH PROGRAM! Can you help with suggestions? Anyone?

GoAnimate is probably one of the best alternatives to flash! It is used by the makers of Family Guy, American Dad, And the Simpsons! Not to mention Harry Partridge and Chris Oneil!
Check it out!

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-01-01 20:10:14

Working on something sort of big. Probably won't get past the animatic or rough animation stage, but if it does i plan on getting other people to help me (my immediate considerations are elkins for backgrounds and psychicpebble for additional animation) because this is NOT gonna be a small project.

But i doubt i'll have the motivation that, at least not any time soon. When i get home from my job at the animation studio, even though i'm not animating the LAST thing i wanna do is animate :P

Sig made by me

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-01-01 21:26:49

At 12/30/11 10:56 PM, Jomillex wrote:
At 12/30/11 10:40 PM, Roxas552 wrote: I NEED TO FIND A FREE FLASH PROGRAM! Can you help with suggestions? Anyone?
GoAnimate is probably one of the best alternatives to flash! It is used by the makers of Family Guy, American Dad, And the Simpsons! Not to mention Harry Partridge and Chris Oneil!
Check it out!

dude you cant go around spilling the professional industry secrets...

i gues its too late, yes, anyone in his right mind will use GoAnimate instead of all the other crap

ama gon chill

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-01-02 21:58:36

I spend almost two hours making a kick-ass run-cycle inspired by the one in Legend of Johnny

Break it down, Frame by Frame:
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/db0a b2ed4ea076f54c5cb0aafbfa1cc8

The Run in action:
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/7e9d 94bc7b53d1b34087a4b2f9ed9f74

Animation Practice!?

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-01-04 23:07:25

Here's something I did in two days with photoshop animation. First day to make the art and test the animation, the second day to get it complete. It's actually my first time in a long time animating and the first time I worked with photoshop as a tool for animation. It definitely has it's advantages over flash, mostly in the visual department, but I don't think I would use it for long animations just short ones like this.

Probably going to give it a second go and build on it, perhaps make the plant grow from the red orb or something. What do you guys think?

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-01-16 06:51:42

Here's a couple of tidbits that I made.

FBF Facial Test
Gorilla

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-01-16 08:09:42

At 1/4/12 11:07 PM, KodoPuppy wrote: Here's something I did in two days with photoshop animation.

This isn't good at all. Take your time next time or if your better with flash use it.
The animation has a terrible lag. the clouds are moving in all directions and appear to be moving fast as well. I dont get why there's a floating.... Plant is it? The clouds look like they were shodilly painted and given a blur so you couldn't tell.

@JoeyNG

OMG OMG OMG OMG THIS SHIT IS AMAZING YES!!!

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-01-17 01:28:23

Rough animation im working on

its for the 60 frames collab, the preloader will be in the collab too

ama gon chill

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-01-21 13:14:34

Howdy,
thought I'd get in on some of this animation goodness.
This is a rough draft of a spell I'm working on for a game that may or may not ever exist.
<a>http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/9 755b3bcfdefa4316bcf4370babda3b5<a>

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-01-21 13:18:51

At 12/27/11 06:29 PM, Otto wrote:

works at 30 and he does fine, but here is what is almost certainly my final draft.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/30ce 990c615e2c7434a180ed16cb5f61

Digging the smears on that mop!

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-01-21 20:19:23

Any feedback on this silly loop? It was made in about two hours, I probably spent more time on it than I should :/

Animation Practice!?

Who are you looking for? What are you looking at?

A light? a star. A boat? an insect. A plane? a flying fish

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-01-22 22:19:03

Here's a walking animation failure I made for a movie clip.

Just call me Psycho for short.

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-01-22 23:37:01

At 1/22/12 02:19 PM, Otto wrote: I love it, it's got character, but it does look as if the right leg and the left leg are never crossing, but that one leg is kind of dragging them forward. You need to put a frame or two of overlap to make it obvious what's happening with the legs.

Otherwise it's very smooth and the palette's lovely.

Yeah, I thought the legs looked a little strange as well but I assumed that would just be me. I guess not!
I also think giving the bottom leg a darker tone should help.
I'll get back to work on it, thank you a lot!

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-01-23 01:47:13

At 1/22/12 11:37 PM, MasterMerol wrote:
At 1/22/12 02:19 PM, Otto wrote: I love it, it's got character, but it does look as if the right leg and the left leg are never crossing, but that one leg is kind of dragging them forward. You need to put a frame or two of overlap to make it obvious what's happening with the legs.

Otherwise it's very smooth and the palette's lovely.
Yeah, I thought the legs looked a little strange as well but I assumed that would just be me. I guess not!
I also think giving the bottom leg a darker tone should help.
I'll get back to work on it, thank you a lot!

Giving the bottom leg a darker tone won't help too much. The best thing you can do at this point is do the other leg individually. From watching this, i can tell you took the same running leg animation and did it twice while changing the lines of overlap to make one look closer than the other. What you should do instead is to vary the positions of each leg at its start and mid point on the loop (aka the front and back) so it appears obviously different from the other leg, as if its own entity.

Sig made by me

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-01-25 15:24:35

At 1/23/12 01:47 AM, fluffkomix wrote: Giving the bottom leg a darker tone won't help too much. The best thing you can do at this point is do the other leg individually. From watching this, i can tell you took the same running leg animation and did it twice while changing the lines of overlap to make one look closer than the other. What you should do instead is to vary the positions of each leg at its start and mid point on the loop (aka the front and back) so it appears obviously different from the other leg, as if its own entity.

I think giving it a darker tone helps a lot!
Anyway, I took you two's advice and tried to improve this.
Something else that was bothering me, is that it seemed as if the joints of the legs were moving back and forth, and it looked pretty weird, I just fixed that as well. What do you think?

Animation Practice!?

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-01-26 03:02:12

At 1/25/12 03:24 PM, MasterMerol wrote:
At 1/23/12 01:47 AM, fluffkomix wrote: Giving the bottom leg a darker tone won't help too much. The best thing you can do at this point is do the other leg individually. From watching this, i can tell you took the same running leg animation and did it twice while changing the lines of overlap to make one look closer than the other. What you should do instead is to vary the positions of each leg at its start and mid point on the loop (aka the front and back) so it appears obviously different from the other leg, as if its own entity.
I think giving it a darker tone helps a lot!
Anyway, I took you two's advice and tried to improve this.
Something else that was bothering me, is that it seemed as if the joints of the legs were moving back and forth, and it looked pretty weird, I just fixed that as well. What do you think?

Yeah that problem is basically what i meant by "darker shading won't help too much." The eye will still perceive the forward motion on both legs as the same leg, and same with the backwards motion, which gives off the feeling of a weird scissor kick type thing

That was a very nice fix for it though, nice job

Sig made by me

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-01-27 16:07:50

At 1/26/12 12:42 PM, Otto wrote:
At 1/26/12 03:02 AM, fluffkomix wrote: That was a very nice fix for it though, nice job
What I think has mainly changed is that the leg joint to the hip is in one place now, much better

Yeah, I like how the first one looked a little more exagerated, some of that got lost in the new one but in exchange it won... err, something else, I don't know.
Thank you you two.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-01-29 03:36:27

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-01-30 03:23:59

Here's the rough cut of that same Brontosaurus eating some tree!
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/79c2 6662e23b36de6eeda3bf32c8a81b

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-01-30 14:53:32

ama gon chill

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-01-30 19:56:16

At 1/30/12 03:15 PM, lpfann2 wrote:
At 1/30/12 02:53 PM, Sacros wrote: some fight im working on
Man! How long have you been animating for?

dunno, started over an year ago but i hardly spend any time animating, sadly, i only have the drive and time to do it a few hours a month, a safe assumption would be less than two days of stacked hours being overly generous

i wish i had the will to finish that, im actually kind of shifting hobbies to electronics lately so i dont know whats gon happen with that piece

ama gon chill

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-01-30 22:12:00

man sacros you had something great going on there, it's too bad you won't finish it :(

in my first post in this thread i'd like to showcase an inconsistent two steps of walking:
http://www.truploader.com/view/702293

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-02-01 18:59:05

At 1/30/12 10:12 PM, MeisterDark wrote: man sacros you had something great going on there, it's too bad you won't finish it :(

in my first post in this thread i'd like to showcase an inconsistent two steps of walking:
http://www.truploader.com/view/702293

Your base character is well constructed and the walk cycle looks good (as far as I can tell, it went pretty fast).

This is my first attempt to animate a character I made in Adobe Illustrator.

Response to Animation Practice!? 2012-02-02 04:15:26

Here are some frame by frame test figures I did a while back, still trying to get that walk right
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/8e5f 35cc518169c44a3934e05ce0e121

and these are two character models I did recently
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/b7e0 dce2025f1d126d966ad117356fd0
and
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/07f3 8dc0bb5c727911b162469ec815de

I have a long way to go..

Why am I here.....?