00:00
00:00

Bob Dylan Fanclub

4,339 Views | 32 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Bob Dylan Fanclub 2010-11-16 20:32:12

I searched through topics and couldn't find one about the poetic knight of America, so I figured I'd make one. For all Bob Dylan fans this is your place to discuss!

General Topics of Discussion
1. Favorite Songs - Seems like an easy question. Say what your favorite songs are by Dylan. Elaborate on why you like them, whether it be the lyrics, instruments, etc. This can also be transitioned into favorite album or something like that.

2. Influence on You - Personal I've always loved Dylan's songs since almost every one of them has a memory associated with it, along with most of them telling a great story. Has Dylan affected you in anyway? If so, share! It's a great topic to discuss!

3. Ever Seen Him Live? - I had the pleasure of seeing him live once and he blew me away. If anyone else has seen him live, tell us about it. Talk about the set list, overall experience, etc.

Most topics should be okay, there's much to discuss. I also don't think this belongs in the classic rock club because I always considered Dylan as more of a folk artist but if this breaks the rules IU apologize.

Also (dare I need to say it), no trolling or simple posting saying how you dislike him. Frankly, we just don't care. Your argument is invalid and will be ignored.

To start some talk, I'll post some of my favorites. Feel free to reply to any of them and let;s get things rolling!

My favorite songs are difficult to choose, like picking one of my children ;], but a few of my favorites are Visions of Johanna, Subterranean Homesick Blues, She Belongs to Me, Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat, Ballad of a Thin Man, All Along the Watchtower, Like a Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan's 115th Dream, Absolutely Sweet Marie, Simple Twist of Fate, Mississippi, and Highway 61 Revisited.

My favorite album is probably Bringing It All Back Home, closely followed by Blonde on Blonde.

Also, I have a collection of him on last.fm, so add me if you wish and check out my selection. Here's my account.

PM me for info on bears Suhm-Id-Ee-Uht-Dood not Puh-Tur-Oh.

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2010-11-18 12:57:49

I spent so much time listening to the story of the hurricane.

It always lifts me up when times are low, pursuing your dreams and all that. I once written down my interpretation of the lyrics, nothing complicated, but just metaphorical possibilities you know.

Which reminds me, thanks for this! About a year ago I'm sure I saw a film called The Hurricane, or something in HMV, based on the song. I never chased it up!

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2010-11-19 16:48:44

This is damn good club idea.

I'm extremely partial to "Only a Pawn in Their Game". The lyrics are just crazy cool and I love how he speeds up and slows down his guitar playing in the album version. Epic.

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2010-11-21 21:02:08

At 11/18/10 12:57 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote: I spent so much time listening to the story of the hurricane.

A true classic. I was disappointment he didn't sing it when I saw him. Plus the fact that it's a true story really blows my mind. I looked up the info on it after I heard the song.

It always lifts me up when times are low, pursuing your dreams and all that. I once written down my interpretation of the lyrics, nothing complicated, but just metaphorical possibilities you know.

That sounds like an interesting thing to do, especially since Dylan's lyrics are so symbolic. I'd be tempted to do that with one of his longer songs like Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands or something along those lines.

Which reminds me, thanks for this! About a year ago I'm sure I saw a film called The Hurricane, or something in HMV, based on the song. I never chased it up!

Sounds awesome. The only Dylan movie I've seen is I'm Not There, but I'll definitely have to give that flick a check. I appreciate the recommendation, man!

At 11/19/10 04:48 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote: I'm extremely partial to "Only a Pawn in Their Game". The lyrics are just crazy cool and I love how he speeds up and slows down his guitar playing in the album version. Epic.

I saw the title of that song today and how well it was received, next time I find my The Times They Are A-Changin' CD I'll have to import that one. Thanks for recommending me that title, I'm always curious to find new tunes by Dylan.

At the moment, my favorite songs of his are "If You See Her, Say Hello" and "High Water (For Charlie Patton)," both great ones. Give them a listen if you've never heard them. Cheers.

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2010-12-27 14:06:48

After a month of inactivity, I figure I'll give it a bump as a last resort.

I got the DVD No Direction Home directed by Martin Scorcese documenting Bob Dylan's life up until his motorcycle crash in 1966. Overall it was very interesting, plus it includes a bunch of live performances of Dylan including a version of Visions of Johanna that will bring you to tears. The film included many interviews with him which made him look like such a punk to conformity and elders, I loved it.

At the moment the songs I'm listening to are Talkin' Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues from the Bootleg Series, Standing in the Doorway from Time Out of Mind, and Isis (the studio performance on Desire is great, but the live version on Biograph is UNREAL).

Anyone else have any favorite Dylan songs?

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2010-12-28 15:08:29

At 11/21/10 09:02 PM, sumidiotdude wrote:
Sounds awesome. The only Dylan movie I've seen is I'm Not There, but I'll definitely have to give that flick a check. I appreciate the recommendation, man!

Good luck with the club - I think I tried to start one many, many moons ago but had trouble getting enough interest. As for films - any Dylan disciple has to try and see 'Masked and Anonymous' which stars Dylan and an awesome cast (with an exceptional cameo by Val Kilmer) and is co-written by Bob under the pseudonym 'Sergei Petrov'. I think it can be hard to find and was made about 5 years or so ago.
As for favourite songs it is difficult to pick, but given the time of year I have been listening to his Christmas album from last year a lot and loving 'Must be Santa' and also his version of 'I'll Be Home For Christmas'.

The Revolution!!!! Search with blackle

BBS Signature

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2010-12-29 03:57:56

Woah, shit, Bob Dylan did some acting? Why was I never informed!?

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2010-12-29 10:44:39

At 12/29/10 03:57 AM, Rahmemhotep wrote: Woah, shit, Bob Dylan did some acting? Why was I never informed!?

He did, he also had a small role in Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, in which he played Alias. It was a serious scene in the movie and I was laughing the whole time because he's amongst a group of cowboys and he stands out because he looks nothing like the others. Plus Dylan did all the music in that movie, thus where Knockin' on Heaven's Door got it's claim to fame.

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2010-12-29 16:06:41

Brrrrrb

Bob Dylan Fanclub

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2010-12-30 13:15:57

At 12/29/10 04:06 PM, EvaSharp wrote: Brrrrrb

Logical progression of conversation.

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2010-12-31 06:46:02

At 12/29/10 10:44 AM, sumidiotdude wrote:
At 12/29/10 03:57 AM, Rahmemhotep wrote:
He did, he also had a small role in Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, in which he played Alias. It was a serious scene in the movie and I was laughing the whole time because he's amongst a group of cowboys and he stands out because he looks nothing like the others. Plus Dylan did all the music in that movie, thus where Knockin' on Heaven's Door got it's claim to fame.

Damnnnnnn! That's some useful information! Guess I'll have to go watch Billy the Kid and Pat Garrett now.

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2011-01-02 14:52:17

At 12/31/10 06:46 AM, Rahmemhotep wrote:
Damnnnnnn! That's some useful information! Guess I'll have to go watch Billy the Kid and Pat Garrett now.

I have also heard he was in a terrible 80's movie called 'Hearts of Fire', but I haven't had the misfortune of seeing that one. Also stars a young Rupert Everett I've been told.

BBS Signature

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2011-01-20 23:17:46

At 1/2/11 02:52 PM, TheSerf wrote:
At 12/31/10 06:46 AM, Rahmemhotep wrote:
I have also heard he was in a terrible 80's movie called 'Hearts of Fire', but I haven't had the misfortune of seeing that one. Also stars a young Rupert Everett I've been told.

Damn it, I had free Showtime this weekend and that was playing, I wish I would have responded sooner.

Anyway I finally got around to seeing I'm Not There and it was unimaginably good. It got bashed in many reviews but it's a clear demonstration of a movie that is open to interpretation. The soundtrack is amazing as well, I LOVED Richie Haven's version of Tombstone Blues, it sounded great. All the Dylan songs were placed perfectly, one part especially caught my attention. When they played Visions of Johanna it was like they were making a music video that corresponded exactly to the song. They emphasized the museum and Mona Lisa's smile, and with it being in my top five Dylan songs I thoroughly enjoyed it. Anyone else seen it?

As of late I finally downloaded the full The Times They Are A-Changin' album and it's got some good tunes on it. I had only heard the live version of When the Ship Comes In and the studio version is even better, I really underestimated it.

At the moment my favorites are Meet Me in the Morning, The Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar, It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry, and From a Buick 6. Any recommendation or favorites of the moment?

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2011-01-21 06:08:50

At 1/20/11 11:17 PM, sumidiotdude wrote: As of late I finally downloaded the full The Times They Are A-Changin' album and it's got some good tunes on it. I had only heard the live version of When the Ship Comes In and the studio version is even better, I really underestimated it.

Yeah Times is an under-rated album in many ways. I means, everybody knows the massive hits from it, but the less-well known songs on it are extremely good and as an album it has a really good flow to it. I am amazed this it was recorded spread out in single days over 3 or 4 months, since it sounds like it was just sat down and done in one take.

BBS Signature

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2011-01-21 07:14:02

When a man he serves the Lord, it makes his life worthwhile.
It don't matter 'bout his position, it don't matter 'bout his lifestyle.
Talk about perfection, I ain't never seen none
And there ain't no man righteous, no not one.

Sometimes the devil likes to drive you from the neighborhood.
He'll even work his ways through those whose intentions are good.
Some like to worship on the moon, others are worshipping the sun

Look around, ya see so many social hypocrites
Like to make rules for others while they do just the opposite.

You can't get to glory by the raising and the lowering of no flag.
Put your goodness next to God's and it comes out like a filthy rag.
In a city of darkness there's no need of the sun

Done so many evil things in the name of love, it's a crying shame
I never did see no fire that could put out a flame.

Pull your hat down, baby, pull the wool down over your eyes,
Keep a-talking, baby, 'til you run right out of alibis.
Someday you'll account for all the deeds that you done.
Well, there ain't no man righteous, no not one.

God got the power, man has got his vanity,
Man gotta choose before God can set him free.
Don't you know there's nothing new that's under the sun?
Well, there ain't no man righteous, no not one.

When I'm gone don't wonder where I be.
Just say that I trusted in God and that Christ was in me.
Say He defeated the devil, He was God's chosen Son
And that there ain't no man righteous, no not one.

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2011-01-21 07:15:44

I may be atheist, but i think if every christian were like that song, i'd have nothing negative to say about them. There truly aint no righteous man.

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2011-01-21 15:17:25

Cool idea Bob Dylan has had some awsome music, some of it abit slow but i still like what he has done.

Nice club

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2011-01-29 10:55:51

At 1/21/11 03:17 PM, XwaynecoltX wrote: Cool idea Bob Dylan has had some awsome music, some of it abit slow but i still like what he has done.

Nice club

Glad to hear, welcome to the club :]

I suppose I'll change the subject since there's been some lack of direction lately.

What is your favorite Dylan album and what is your favorite Dylan album cover? You can do a top 5 or just list what your favorite is, but explain why you like it too, it always give us more insight and gives us reason to listen to the album again.

My top 5 albums go:

1. Bringing It All Back Home
2. Highway 61 Revisited
3. Blood on the Tracks
4. Blonde on Blonde
5. Tie between Desire and Time Out of Mind

Bringing It All Back Home is my favorite because I love the mesh of electric songs to acoustic ones. I wish I had the vinyl because I was told the a-side was electric and then the b-side was acoustic so it really sounds amazing. From that album my favorite songs are She Belongs to Me, Gates of Eden, and Subterranean Homesick Blues.

For my favorite Dylan album cover, I think Self Portrait is actually pretty cool. Not a big fan of the album (except for The Mighty Quinn and Alberta 1 &2), but since Dylan painted it and it actually looks like him I found it amusing.

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2011-01-30 12:37:26

At 1/29/11 10:55 AM, sumidiotdude wrote: What is your favorite Dylan album and what is your favorite Dylan album cover? You can do a top 5 or just list what your favorite is, but explain why you like it too, it always give us more insight and gives us reason to listen to the album again.

Mmmmm:

1. Highway 61 Revisited
2. Bob Dylan
3. Blonde on Blonde
4. Good As I Been To You
5. Together Through Life

This list probably changes from day to day, but no.1 is always the same - nearly the perfect album, from that first snare hit of Rolling Stone to possibly the greatest closing track in the history of music: Desolation Row.
Together Through Life sneaks on there because it was so very different to what I expected.

My favourite cover is probably Blonde on Blonde, with an honourable mention to Nashville Skyline because he looks so much like a 'special' kid!

Another of my favourite albums I have is bootleg called 'Hunted Like a Crocodile' which is from a gig he did in the Netherlands in 1989, which I burnt off my friend who randomly got given a copy by a travelling salesman who was selling something completely different, but said he always carried a few copies of the bootleg to give to anyone who was into Dylan. Really unusual sound - he basically plays all the usual live songs but really fast and quite heavy in parts, even when it is just him on acoustic. A lot of people described Dylan's shows in the late 80's and early 90's as "Punk Dylan" because it was just so different to how he's performed before or since.

BBS Signature

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2011-01-31 16:28:52

At 1/30/11 12:37 PM, TheSerf wrote:
2. Bob Dylan

All I have from this album is House of the Risin' Sun since I listened to the Animals version berfore and Song to Woody since it's an awesome song. Is the whole album worth downloading, it's interesting seeing it at your number 2.

4. Good As I Been To You

I read on Rolling Stone that this one was good even though it's all covers, I'm trying to get a little from each album so whatever songs are good on it should be a good fit. Great list too, man!

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2011-02-01 10:44:49

At 1/31/11 04:28 PM, sumidiotdude wrote: All I have from this album is House of the Risin' Sun since I listened to the Animals version berfore and Song to Woody since it's an awesome song. Is the whole album worth downloading, it's interesting seeing it at your number 2.

Yeah it's a very interesting album - did not sell very well at all at the time! There is only one other original, but a lot of traditional covers which he later started doing a lot live. His version of Man of Constant Sorrow is interesting and quite different from the normal bluegrass version (like done by the Soggy Bottom Boys in O Brother Where Art Thou).

I read on Rolling Stone that this one was good even though it's all covers, I'm trying to get a little from each album so whatever songs are good on it should be a good fit. Great list too, man!

This is a really unusual Dylan album, but I really enjoy it because the traditional songs on it are taken from everywhere not just the US. A lot of old Irish, Scottish, English songs and even one from Australia - "Jim Jones" (which is particularly impressive because we don't have too many folk songs!). It's also really good because it's all just him and guitar, which only the early albums are, and it highlights how well he can actually play and how unique his style is, as opposed to him playing the rhythm underneath the lead guitarists. You can also hear how much he enjoyed doing this album in the songs, which came after a period of time in which both his albums and concerts were copping a pasting from the critics. I think if he hadn't done the album when he did he might have given up the game and stopped touring and recording (although that's just my opinion - I've never read anything from him saying that).

BBS Signature

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2011-04-20 12:08:13

After two months of inactivity I figured I'd give this place a check.

At 2/1/11 10:44 AM, TheSerf wrote:
At 1/31/11 04:28 PM, sumidiotdude wrote: All I have from this album is House of the Risin' Sun since I listened to the Animals version berfore and Song to Woody since it's an awesome song. Is the whole album worth downloading, it's interesting seeing it at your number 2.
Yeah it's a very interesting album - did not sell very well at all at the time! There is only one other original, but a lot of traditional covers which he later started doing a lot live. His version of Man of Constant Sorrow is interesting and quite different from the normal bluegrass version (like done by the Soggy Bottom Boys in O Brother Where Art Thou).

Downloaded the whole album from your recommendation, it's all absolutely fantastic. You're No Good is probably in my top 10 Dylan songs of all time. his voice sounds so fresh and the harmonica and guitar riffs are so crisp that they just beg to be played over and over again. Freight Train Blues is also one of my favorites from that album, how Bob held some of those notes I will never comprehend.

This is a really unusual Dylan album, but I really enjoy it because the traditional songs on it are taken from everywhere not just the US. A lot of old Irish, Scottish, English songs and even one from Australia - "Jim Jones" (which is particularly impressive because we don't have too many folk songs!). It's also really good because it's all just him and guitar, which only the early albums are, and it highlights how well he can actually play and how unique his style is, as opposed to him playing the rhythm underneath the lead guitarists. You can also hear how much he enjoyed doing this album in the songs, which came after a period of time in which both his albums and concerts were copping a pasting from the critics. I think if he hadn't done the album when he did he might have given up the game and stopped touring and recording (although that's just my opinion - I've never read anything from him saying that).

I only downloaded Jim Jones and it is a decent tune. Don't know if I'll check out anything else from that album for a while though. I just turned in my graduation project on Bob Dylan and I've been studying his music for so long it's becoming nauseating so I may be taking a break from listening to him.

If you haven't been checking out his set lists from his current Europe/Asia tour you definitely should. I have heard only positive things. Plus him going to Vietnam to play when that is the exact location of the roots of many of his political '60s anthems still blows my mind. I hope he comes to NC later this year. I want to hear him play Visions of Johanna just once before he dies. I would literally not be able to contain myself if I heard him play that opening harmonica riff from Visions, my life would be complete.

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2011-04-20 18:24:35

Anyone see the new Friday Remix that *sounds* like Bob Dylan?

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2011-04-20 20:06:20

At 4/20/11 06:24 PM, Viktor wrote: Anyone see the new Friday Remix that *sounds* like Bob Dylan?

Yeah, I have it on iTunes. Mike Bauer did a spot on job. Plus most of the comments about it on Youtube are about how Dylan originally wrote it and it has multiple political meanings, they're funnier than the actual song.

JeremyLokken also made his own flash to the song http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/56 5330

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2011-04-21 23:16:37

bob dylan is kinda overrated. i like his songs but hes not like life changing. yea thats my contribution to the club!

None

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2011-04-21 23:50:04

At 4/21/11 11:16 PM, Luis wrote: bob dylan is kinda overrated. i like his songs but hes not like life changing. yea thats my contribution to the club!

Luis, ladies and gentlemen!

I don't think his songs are life-changing either, but I do think they served a monumental purpose through music history.

So yeah.

Bob Dylan Fanclub

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2011-04-22 00:20:56

I don't much care for Bob Dylan but I recently learned about The Tallest Man on Earth who is a very Dylanesque artist that I myself actually enjoy quite a bit and recommend to you all.

IMO he's like Bob Dylan but he can sing too.

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2011-05-17 19:05:15

I got so into Dylan when I first started listening to him, that he was the only thing I listened to for almost a whole year. I still listen to him a lot, but not nearly as much.
I would have to say my favourite song is Subterranean Homesick blues and The Times they are a Changin. Those are the two favourites I can think of off the top my head, I'm pretty sure there is another song I like more or as much, but cannot think of it.
I haven't seen him in person, yet.

It makes me laugh when people don't know a lot of famous songs are re-makes of Dylans songs. Like, have you ever watched, White Men Can't Jump? In it Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson are talking about jimi Hendrix, and Wesley is saying the Woody can't hear Jimi because hes white, but one of Jimi's most famous song is a cover of Dylan All along the Watchtower. He also covered Like a Rolling Stone.
And there is my friend who likes Beck, but didn't know Leopard skin pillbox hat was written by Dylan.

At 4/21/11 11:16 PM, Luis wrote: bob dylan is kinda overrated. i like his songs but hes not like life changing. yea thats my contribution to the club!

I don't think he is overrated, but I will agree he isn't life changing. I don't think any music can be life changing. Unless its religious music, and that it guides you to follow that religion. Other than that, I don't see how music can change your life.

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2011-05-19 18:33:05

At 12/27/10 02:06 PM, sumidiotdude wrote: I got the DVD No Direction Home

I bought that the other day, haven't found any spare time to watch it yet, and I want to watch it when I'm in the right mood so I can give it my full attention. Really looking forward to it though.

I'll admit I only have 4 Dylan albums in my library, but I love every track on each album. In no order:
Blonde on Blonde
Bringing It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

Next album I'm going to get is John Wesley Harding, and then I'm not too sure where to go after that. Just stick with his earlier albums and make my way forward? I've heard very mixed things about his more recent work..

This is filler text.

The Noise I Make. || I'm not dead! || Confess. || AIM/MSN.

BBS Signature

Response to Bob Dylan Fanclub 2011-05-21 22:48:18

At 5/19/11 06:33 PM, HungarianSupermarket wrote: I'll admit I only have 4 Dylan albums in my library, but I love every track on each album. In no order:
Blonde on Blonde
Bringing It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

Next album I'm going to get is John Wesley Harding, and then I'm not too sure where to go after that. Just stick with his earlier albums and make my way forward? I've heard very mixed things about his more recent work..

BIABH is my favorite album of his ever, even the lesser tracks on it like Outlaw Blues and On the Road Again are mind-blowing. If I were you, check out John Wesley Harding or Blood on the Tracks next, preferably BoTT since it's superior to Harding in my opinion. Both great albums though.

Last.fm

BBS Signature