00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What offends you?

9,971 Views | 79 Replies

What offends you? 2010-09-17 19:04:05

They say everyone gets offended by SOMETHING.

Except I can't think of anything for me. I mean, is murder offensive therefore I want it outlawed? Not really. It doesn't offend me when someone murders someone else. In fact I don't give a shit. I just want to make sure it doesn't happen to me or anyone I know.

So maybe I'm wrong on this but I don't think there is such a thing as "being offended". I think it's people who perceive certain behavior as bad for society, therefore they should be banned.

Saying "this offends me" is just something people say to bypass having to give reasons for why they want to prevent other people from doing X.
If you want to prevent others from saying or doing something, you better have a damn good reason.

BBS Signature

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-17 19:09:40

I do have certain things that makes me rage in utter despair. I guess that counts.

But you do have a point. From what I can see, most offense taken today is on behalf of others. Say something nasty about Jews and it's mainly non-Jews answering in response, taking offense on their behalf. Not that this is a bad thing, but I doubt they are actually that personally offended.

http://drakim.net - My exploits for those interested

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-17 19:13:22

Hear, hear!

If I'm offended by a group of people I just ignore them. People get offended too easily, and for all the wrong reasons.

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-17 20:00:50

I'm offended by people being wrong or using things as a crutch.

BBS Signature

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-17 20:28:53

I'm offended by stupidity, which often leads to "I'M OFFENDED!" Does that count?

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-17 20:37:55

I'm offended by stupid people. This manifests in many forms. I'm offended by people like Falwell, or Graham. I'm offended by FOX News.

But I think we have to define what "offended" means in this case. Do we mean offended enough to do something about it? Such as pass a law to ban it? Or do we just mean offended that something exists or is allowed to be out there doing something that is (in one's opinion) harmful to the larger society?

Or maybe that question was answered and I missed it...I was up early for work today, haha.

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-17 20:44:10

At 9/17/10 08:37 PM, aviewaskewed wrote:
Do we mean offended enough to do something about it?

I guess.

It just seems like the word "offend" is useless.
It's used either when someone insults you, in which case use the word "insult" or when someone does something you generally don't approve of, in which case just say you don't approve of them doing it.

But if you say something OFFENDS you then suddenly there's no debate to be had because you just "can't help it" and it's rude of OTHER people to keep doing it? What?

BBS Signature

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-17 21:36:55

But there ARE some things that are inappropriate to do. Like dropping an N-bomb or being discriminatory. I mean, sure there's the free speech and blah blah thing, but it goes back to the just because you CAN doesn't mean you should or it's ok. I don't think what the KKK does or says is ok.

I think it's ok for things to offend or be offensive. I think what you've got a problem with is not so much people taking offense, but people taking offense and then going "because I am offended this is wrong and must go away" and then governments bowing to that. Which I don't think is a function of actually giving a crap that anyone is offended, it's more a function of government just looking to spread it's powers more and have more control over people.

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-17 21:41:52

Being offended is subjective. Therefore, you will need reasons that it offends you. Because it is subjective, these reasons may be illogical, at least to you. For example:

"You're black."

"I find that offensive."

"Why?"

"Because I'm Jewish."

Obviously there is no correlation between being black and Jewish, however in the mind of the offended, it may be a perfectly valid reason. A person can say, "that's offensive" if they want to limit what you have to say.

To be offensive, one must do something that gets a negative reaction. Even pain is not offensive, especially in the cases of masochist and sadist. This brings up the question, "what is negative in the context of feelings and emotion?"

Well that too is subjective, as feelings are different depending on the individual. Therefore, you may be offensive and not even know it. Also, what is offensive depends upon a myriad of variables. If you say racist things against blacks and you're a white guy talking to a white guy, the odds of the listener being offended are statistically less than that of the listener being black.

In summary, you are only offensive depending on the listener. There is no set time or definition of offensive as it all depends upon the person. If you insult someone's dead mother at their funeral, it may not be offensive, especially if the child hated their mother.

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-17 22:19:23

Actually, paying attention to the WBC or the Quran burnings maybe a good thing, they want to strike headlines, so they may start being violent like the Neo-Nazi's did.

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.

" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-18 00:46:17

At 9/17/10 08:37 PM, aviewaskewed wrote: I'm offended by stupid people. This manifests in many forms. I'm offended by people like Falwell, or Graham. I'm offended by FOX News.

I'm not offended by stupidity, per se. Most people don't have a choice whether or not to be stupid. I'm offended by Willful Ignorance, which can be mistaken as stupidity. When you (general you, not you avie) SHOULD know better, and you're adamantly opposed to doing so, you offend me.

Also clapping between movements of a symphony or concerto. Fuck you, you cultureless heathens!

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-18 04:59:12

Stupidity and Censorship.

ceci n'est pas un blog.

(get it? It's a link to a blog.)

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-18 05:06:37

At 9/18/10 12:46 AM, Ravariel wrote: Also clapping between movements of a symphony or concerto. Fuck you, you cultureless heathens!

Ugh, I know right, some wankers did that when I was at a 'the music of final fantasy' performance and it was just the worst.

BBS Signature

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-18 08:19:51

At 9/18/10 05:06 AM, SadisticMonkey wrote:
At 9/18/10 12:46 AM, Ravariel wrote: Also clapping between movements of a symphony or concerto. Fuck you, you cultureless heathens!
Ugh, I know right, some wankers did that when I was at a 'the music of final fantasy' performance and it was just the worst.

I went to one of those in Chicago a few years ago and it was like the trifecta of fucktardery. Wearing rags and dirty holey jeans to a classical music concert, clapping at the wrong times, and shouting requests and catcalling the soprano soloist. I was ready to murder some motherfuckers.

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-18 08:38:37

nothing really offends me, except a few things like religion getting in the way of everyday life.

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-18 10:56:45

You sincerely can not think of anything that offends you? You are anti-religious, so you are not offended by religious people, especially the really fanatical ones? If not, then I have to give you credit.

I am offended by people being insensitive or judging an entire group of people or saying that they are intellectually superior to others, or superior in any other way.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-18 13:23:53

for any instance where you've defended yourself or someone else in response to a statement or action or whatever, you've found something that's offended you. as in, if you hadn't "taken offense" then you wouldn't have bothered to mount any defense.

although, just because a person might not visibly express indignation or lash out in response to every offense doesn't mean they aren't actually offended, either. the sense of having taken offense to something and the eventual response to that offense (if any) are kinda two different things.

BBS Signature

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-18 13:26:01

Hmmm....
Well vegans coming into a Bar-B-Q resturant looking for vegan dishes. Or when they want something from a fish & chip truck...but they don't eat fish & don't want their chips cooked in the same oil that the fish is cooked in...fuck off.

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-21 19:27:19

People who dont know what the hell there talking about baisically, Twats on youtube who are mentaly and socialy retarded.

BBS Signature

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-21 21:34:44

At 9/18/10 10:56 AM, Ericho wrote: so you are not offended by religious people, especially the really fanatical ones? If not, then I have to give you credit.

See that's my point, if I said "it offends me" I give no one any information other than it's something I don't like for X reason and I wish other people would stop doing it.

It's a useless word that people use as an argument against things.

Instead of saying you find something offensive or insulting, why don't you just skip straight to telling us why?

For instance: religion is false hence I care nothing at all for it.

See? Now that's something to talk about.

At 9/18/10 08:19 AM, Ravariel wrote: catcalling the soprano soloist. I was ready to murder some motherfuckers.

was she hot though? Cause if she was I mean come on dude I mean... dude
dude

BBS Signature

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-21 23:42:10

I'm offended by people who get offended way too easy over something minor, such as they disagree on politics, religion, sports, etc. People can be so quick to attack or make a judgment on something because they hear or see something that they don't approve of, and they go batshit over it for no real reason.

I'm also offended by mothers who bring whining kids into movie theaters and expect their kids to be quiet thourghout the movie. I can't even watch the movie when Junior screams his head off while I'm trying to watch a movie and end up missing something important.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-22 00:08:26

When I'm offended by something, I'm not afraid to say why.
For example, I get offended when someone says I can't do certain things because I'm a woman or because of my looks, weight, etc.

I maek lolz. I play Steam. I fight for genital integrity.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-22 01:21:31

At 9/17/10 07:04 PM, poxpower wrote: They say everyone gets offended by SOMETHING.

Except I can't think of anything for me. I mean, is murder offensive therefore I want it outlawed? Not really. It doesn't offend me when someone murders someone else. In fact I don't give a shit. I just want to make sure it doesn't happen to me or anyone I know.

So maybe I'm wrong on this but I don't think there is such a thing as "being offended". I think it's people who perceive certain behavior as bad for society, therefore they should be banned.

Saying "this offends me" is just something people say to bypass having to give reasons for why they want to prevent other people from doing X.
If you want to prevent others from saying or doing something, you better have a damn good reason.

There's an element of semantics to it. I don't know if you consider being 'annoyed' by something the same as being 'offended' by it. I hate the word 'offended' because it's so commonly tied to political correctness. I would say that if someone wanted into a room where i was working and started singing really loudly, i would be annoyed. But would i be offended? If someone said that Irish people suck [I'm half irish] Would i be offended? I don't know, though i would probably be annoyed simply because that kind of bigoted behavior is annoying by my purely subjective perceptions.

There's really only one thing that i could say 'offends me', and that's statements, implicit or explicit, by people who want to coerce other individuals into some sort of 'collective action' And of course, like you said, I would want to prevent someone from bringing such a coercion into effect though it would be mighty hypocritical of me to force them not to say it. When someone says "I support Universal Healthcare" He's not simply giving an opinion, he's not simply saying "I like Star wars" or "I like Bach over Mozart", he's saying that, if he had the power, he'd force someone to pay for something they don't want it, and the worst part is, is that this individual probably hasn't actually wrapped his mind about the actual implications of his statement. I can reasonably call such a statement offending because it is, quite literally, an OFFENSIVE opinion. [That is, of or relating to attack or aggression] But again that's really more semantics. It would be more honest to say that nothing actually offends me, I simply find such a statement annoying.

Offensive can simply be a replacement word for 'annoyance' but the former has more weight than the latter. Saying something offends you, even though it's the equivalent of saying that something annoys you, pulls at people's heartstrings more.

But I REALLLLY don't want to get into a debate about universal health care, replace the issue of healthcare with an imposition you don't approve of... Say, sharia law. "I believe our government should adopt sharia law" works just fine.

Anyway, you're right about 'offensive'; it's similar to morality. A word used in place of another word [Morality = Utility of X group, or morality = good consequences] where the former word has a greater emotional impact on the latter.

On a moving train there are no centrists, only radicals and reactionaries.

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-23 08:55:16

Are you equally offended by all the liberal news networks?

At 9/17/10 08:37 PM, aviewaskewed wrote: I'm offended by stupid people. This manifests in many forms. I'm offended by people like Falwell, or Graham. I'm offended by FOX News.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-23 09:42:22

At 9/18/10 10:56 AM, Ericho wrote:
I am offended by people being insensitive or judging an entire group of people or saying that they are intellectually superior to others, or superior in any other way.

I steal your offending issue.

Because I find it grossly wrong to dismiss people entirely over one thing. A person can be 99% smart but still say stupid stuff and I don't want that person to be looked down upon just like that. In particular if that person is me.

RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!

Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.

Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-23 10:09:21

At 9/17/10 07:04 PM, poxpower wrote: They say everyone gets offended by SOMETHING.

Except I can't think of anything for me.

Same here, although a lot of things annoy me. Wouldn't say I take offense to them though.

PHP Main :: C++ Main :: Java Main :: Vorsprung durch Technik

irc.freenode.net #ngprogramming

BBS Signature

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-23 11:33:59

At 9/23/10 10:09 AM, Jon-86 wrote:

Except I can't think of anything for me.
Same here, although a lot of things annoy me. Wouldn't say I take offense to them though.

1690! No Surrender! K.A.T!

I kid, I kid.

I'm offended by a couple of things, I suppose. I'm not religious at all, but I get offended when people are all like "HERP RELIJUN IZ DA CAUZ OF ALL WARZ U GUIZ DERP". Hey, guys? Ever hear of a little thing called Ethnic Cleansing? Or wealth? Or racism? Or Imperialism? Or fucking resources?

What other thing really offends me, on the opposite end of the spectrum, is people who say that Atheists are inherently immoral and stuff like that. For one thing, it's not true, and it gets old after about the fiftieth time you hear it.

My PSN: Obilisk745

"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."

Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-23 12:11:41

Its because atheist bastards cant feel sympathy for fellow human beings unless it effects them directly. Its why you don't get offended by murder but by God, if someone tries to take away your soy latte you turn into the demon you are in the inside and kill that mother fucker and drink his blood because your a godless abomination on the this earth and all good people must end you before you breed via massive campaigns of rape.

Sig made by azteca89

BBS Signature

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-24 01:52:36

I'm offended by what I call "Closet Racists" what they are in fact Racists they make very racist remarks that are clearly racist when I call them on it they all say "That's not racist." So since they can't admit to it they are currently Closet Racists. The first step to overcoming your problem is to admit you have a problem and until you do, you will continue to have a problem.

Your Arrogance Will Be Your Undoing

Perfection Is An Illusion And Delusion Of Narcissists And Despots

It's Not Who You Were It's More In Who You Are And Who You Will Be

BBS Signature

Response to What offends you? 2010-09-24 02:11:22

At 9/22/10 01:21 AM, SmilezRoyale wrote:
There's an element of semantics to it.

Yes I suppose.

My point is basically that there's a word called "offended" that you can use instead of a bunch of other words that actually describe your situation ( angry, annoyed, wrong, insulted etc. ) and when you do this substitution, suddenly people can't say anything about it and they instantly lose the argument and have to do whatever they can to avoid "offending" you.

Anyway you get it.

BBS Signature