00:00
00:00

Ng Mag Writing Contest Discussion

689 Views | 18 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Ng Mag Writing Contest Discussion 2010-08-31 18:39:29

This is the discussion thread for the Newgrounds Magazine writing contest. Do Not post your entries here. Post them in the entries thread. Discuss anything about the contest and the magazine here. Stand by for the entries thread.

Don't be afraid of failure.

BBS Signature

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Mag Writing Contest Discussion 2010-08-31 18:44:27

Are you going to tell us ANYTHING about your upstart magazine? Why should we bother putting our time into something that may either never exist or may look like a piece of shit?

Give us something to go on.

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Mag Writing Contest Discussion 2010-08-31 18:52:09

At 8/31/10 06:44 PM, TrevorW wrote: Are you going to tell us ANYTHING about your upstart magazine? Why should we bother putting our time into something that may either never exist or may look like a piece of shit?

Give us something to go on.

if you looked at the entries thread, you would have seen that I DID give information about it. I'll post it here.

There is a new Newgrounds Magazine in the works. It's not one that's read online, but a monthly magazine people can get in the mail with a subscription. In the magazine will be first looks at new animations in the works, interviews with popular users, commentary from flash artist winners in the monthly awards, and more. The point of this contest is to find good writers for the magazine.

Fourswordsking, Tom, and I are working on making this happen. I've found someone that will help us print it or point us in the direction of a company that will print it for a fee. It would be something people could subscribe to in the newgrounds store for a year long subscription and receive in the mail monthly.

And It would only be shitty if no one put effort into it. This contest is being held to find good writers to make it a good magazine.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Mag Writing Contest Discussion 2010-08-31 19:11:36

I'm going to be entering for interviewer. It'd be a nice contribution to interview those in the Newgrounds community and find out more about themselves and their take on the future of flash and Newgrounds.

Response to Ng Mag Writing Contest Discussion 2010-08-31 19:25:49

At 8/31/10 07:17 PM, speeling wrote: I have to say this is a good idea but it won't work out the best. You have to design the layout, gloss paper, get past copyrights and distribute without anyone getting pissed off. I'd like to help with it tho, it seems like a good project. Talk to me on facebook if you need any big help.

layout shouldn't be much of a problem. Gloss paper i'm looking into (I have a friend in the publishing industry), Tom's cool with it and this IS a magazine for Newgrounds, and It will only be distributed from the newgrounds store. dont expect to see it in news stands.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Mag Writing Contest Discussion 2010-08-31 19:29:32

Do you have any experience working with Adobe Indesign? That is the program to use when making any print media. A good layout (say something you would see in a legit magazine) takes a good amount of time to create and make perfect. A single spread can (and probably should) take hours to create.

The overall design should not be generic either. Every magazine should have unique design content while sticking to some sort of a general layout design.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Mag Writing Contest Discussion 2010-09-01 08:26:37

At 8/31/10 06:52 PM, DannyJay wrote: Fourswordsking, Tom, and I are working on making this happen.

By Tom, could you please clarify that you mean our glorious leader, TomFulp?

It's an interesting proposition that you've come up with here, but you've really gone about it the wrong sort of way, in my opinion. Yes, keeping entries and discussion separate is a must, but it looks like you've gone and made a parody of the Monthly Writing contest and it doesn't give too much incentive for getting the pieces finished.

I'd certainly be interested in discussing this further, but I am highly sceptical, to say the least.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Mag Writing Contest Discussion 2010-09-01 10:06:05

At 9/1/10 08:26 AM, Coop83 wrote:
At 8/31/10 06:52 PM, DannyJay wrote: Fourswordsking, Tom, and I are working on making this happen.
By Tom, could you please clarify that you mean our glorious leader, TomFulp?

It's an interesting proposition that you've come up with here, but you've really gone about it the wrong sort of way, in my opinion. Yes, keeping entries and discussion separate is a must, but it looks like you've gone and made a parody of the Monthly Writing contest and it doesn't give too much incentive for getting the pieces finished.

I'd certainly be interested in discussing this further, but I am highly sceptical, to say the least.

yes, our glorious overlord leader, Tom Fulp.

If it appears to be parodying the monthly writing contest, I'm sorry, but that was not on purpose.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Mag Writing Contest Discussion 2010-09-01 11:33:34

My big problem in the article part is the position seems very general. Go write about what? Would you want an article about the global situation in Iraq? About the "depression epidemic"? What about video games? Also, how would you be able to test people's ability to do the minor role?

How would we be able to test each of the things? Any specifics? Word count? Type of content?

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Mag Writing Contest Discussion 2010-09-01 15:23:02

Yeah, the marketing for this is in shambles. You can't just stick an idea out into the wind and expect it to catch on.

I suggest closing this down, take the rest of September to seriously think over a design, get some postable concept work and details, etc.

Then make a thread here or in General talking about the idea, showcasing what it looks like, etc. Then once it's in the mind of the community, open up a submission thread of sorts.

At 8/31/10 06:52 PM, DannyJay wrote: This contest is being held to find good writers to make it a good magazine.

You have a giant forum here filled with submissions, why bother to create something new (with little direction / incentive) when you can go through what's already here and proposition people?

This whole idea needs to be... well, planned. And communicated properly. Else, you're in for a world of disappointment.

Self-published fiction: Mostly Lies

Response to Ng Mag Writing Contest Discussion 2010-09-01 16:23:13

At 9/1/10 03:23 PM, Zerok wrote: Yeah, the marketing for this is in shambles. You can't just stick an idea out into the wind and expect it to catch on.

I suggest closing this down, take the rest of September to seriously think over a design, get some postable concept work and details, etc.

Then make a thread here or in General talking about the idea, showcasing what it looks like, etc. Then once it's in the mind of the community, open up a submission thread of sorts.

Unfortunately DannyJay, I think that he's right about that. Let's close it down for a while and actually plan it out.

You have a giant forum here filled with submissions, why bother to create something new (with little direction / incentive) when you can go through what's already here and proposition people?

Now that's the thing that I CAN explain. You see, Tom thought it would be a better idea for the people in the Newgrounds community to get involved with the project.

Help the poor! Help the hungry in Africa!

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Mag Writing Contest Discussion 2010-09-01 18:02:14

At 9/1/10 04:23 PM, FourSwordsKing wrote: Now that's the thing that I CAN explain. You see, Tom thought it would be a better idea for the people in the Newgrounds community to get involved with the project.

Sure. But that doesn't have to look like a writing contest. But if your heart's set on that kind of structure maybe it could look like this:

You could pick/contact maybe 25 qualified people, assume 18-20 get back to you in time (pick a deadline). Get those people to compete and have the Writing Forum Community vote to fill the spots.

I'd suggest having the contest only for your 4 "big" roles, i.e. your columnists. Have the minor roles on a rotational basis or something to bring more people into the creative process.

Also, have you thought really hard about having this be print-only? Was that decision based on any real strategy / success measures / goals or were you just like "this might be a fun twist!!" Because I can see that lack of e-access being a big issue with readership. Especially if you're charging for it. Perhaps have both versions, 'cept the print issue has more exclusive stuff.

Was this going to be sold in the Store on a subscription or issue-by-issue basis?

Self-published fiction: Mostly Lies

Response to Ng Mag Writing Contest Discussion 2010-09-01 18:52:42

Subscription. Yeah I suppose you're right. I just kinda got caught up with it in my head and wanted to get things rolling fast. Ill take your advice and think everything over with september before deciding to either quit or try again. I found a company that can print it (my friend has connections), but its like the real deal and professional.

So yeeah zerok, I guess you can lock it and maybe ill start over in a few months. Unfortinatly keith and speeling will be pissed at me.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Mag Writing Contest Discussion 2010-09-01 21:03:33

At 9/1/10 06:52 PM, DannyJay wrote: before deciding to either quit

What a fantastic outlook.

Balderdash and PoppyClock

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Mag Writing Contest Discussion 2010-09-01 23:09:45

I'm not sure that you realize how much work goes into producing a magazine worth purchasing.

The design alone (On a 18 page magazine for instance) would take several people (3-4, so 6 spreads or so) probably 60+ hours to create a decent set of spreads. No one will buy white pages with text, you need attractive pages that take a lot of time to create.

Several editors to select and edit content.

Many writers to write articles to compete for publication. [Editors job to select]

You need PHOTOS and other PUBLISHABLE MEDIA. You cannot just pull artwork from people's flash, the site, google, w/e without their written/expressed permission. And without this there is no design and thus no magazine.

Also:

You will be lucky to get a handful of paying subscribers. NG has a very low age demographic and thus it is unrealistic. You would be better off trying to sell ad space and that is another whole deal.

You need to know how to use: Photoshop, Indesign, Adobe Acrobat, Word, and probably Excel (to manage finances).

You would need a Paypal, a great deal of paper work to get users to sign away their rights (just in case), and possibly tax forms. Also an issue would take a GROUP OF PEOPLE (say 12-20, writers to designers) easily 100 hours per issue.

And finally: Are you qualified to be the editor-in-chief after knowing all of this? Honestly? Not to crush your dreams but this is the reality of the matter. Now if you just want to do a for fun thing online then by all means do that, but if you want to get serious then think seriously. Also...Print Media Is Dead. :D

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Mag Writing Contest Discussion 2010-09-02 00:40:14

I still like print media. I wouldn't say its dead, lots of people still buy magazines.

Whoa, have you worked in this buisness before? You know your shit. Yeah, it seems like a lot, and now I see why tom couldn't get it going originally. Wow, I've got a lot to learn I suppose.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Mag Writing Contest Discussion 2010-09-02 00:47:06

At 9/2/10 12:40 AM, DannyJay wrote: I still like print media. I wouldn't say its dead, lots of people still buy magazines.

Whoa, have you worked in this buisness before? You know your shit. Yeah, it seems like a lot, and now I see why tom couldn't get it going originally. Wow, I've got a lot to learn I suppose.

I did some work in school and I am known to spend a lot of time learning the ins and outs of the programs. Shrug.

You can do it just know what you are in for.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Mag Writing Contest Discussion 2010-09-02 01:45:50

So the obvious thing here was poor planning.

If a NG magazine is to be serious, then everything needs to be planned. From how the magazine will be distributed to how it will look, what it will have, etc.

I agree with Trevor, there needs to be a lot more put into this. Also online magazine would work better cause that way you can make things in the magazine linkable and as he mentioned, provide ad space for other companies.

It's best to start with a prototype and work from there. Once you got the basic design of the magazine down. Then you can go onto figure out how many writers, editors and designers you'll need.

You plan it all, then work your way up to a finished product then once your satisfied with that product then you start to sell it.