NG Descent Club 2010-08-19 23:01:13
This club is created because I noticed a few people on NG play Descent, and many more have heard of it. It's a great game, a true masterpiece. And it's still possible to play multiplayer Descent!
So here goes!
What is Descent? Descent is a First-Person Shooter that came out in '95. It is a very unique game in the fact that it was one of the first true 3-D games. You fly a ship that can move on any axis. Slide vertically, slide horizontally, foreward, backward, banking.... It creates some very intense, very diverse fight sequences. Oh, and did I mention it takes place inside of mines on other planets? And every robot in the mine wants you dead. Or every other player.
To further explain this: A Descent multiplayer video!
There are three games in the Descent series (and a possible fourth)
Descent 1 is the classic that started it all. It came out in the good ole days, in 1995.
Descent II introduced all sorts of new weapons and the afterburner.
Descent 3 was made with a completely different game engine, and came out in 1999.
Anyone can join in on the discussion... I don't know if we're going to include a roster. You can join even if you no longer have Descent (Nostalgia stories are welcome).
Right now, there are two ways to play Descent on XP and later: D2x-XL and DXX-Rebirth. I suggest Rebirth if you want to play with us, besides, it keeps the game performing like it used to.
1. Obviously, all of the standard BBS rules apply.
2. Try to stay on topic. Don't start talking about unrelated games.
3. No pointless, one-liner, +1 posts.
4. Don't argue Rebirth vs. D2X-XL without intelligent arguments. It would be best to not argue this at all, but there's a lot to debate.
5. Screenshots are welcome, even encouraged, but I cannot stress this enough: MAKE SURE IT IS DESCENT RELATED. This cannot turn into a spam-a-thon.
6. Custom levels can be discussed, but don't spam links.
That being said, have fun! I've played Descent for just over 15 years now, so if you have any questions go ahead and ask. On an unrelated note, I go by the name of Ashes in the Descent community.
A screenshot to jog your memory about Descent: