00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Value Of Soft Drinks

1,865 Views | 29 Replies

The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 02:46:46

Soft drinks are incredibly popular with todays children, teenagers and even some segments of the adult population. The sales of Coke for example, have risen exponentially within the last 10 years, reaching over 6 trillion units in 2003. But sometimes I find myself doubting their real nutritional value and functionality.

I understand that not everything we consume, is with nutrition in mind. There are equal grounds to question the value of for instance biscuits or cakes. But I think consumption of cakes and biscuits pale in comparison of those of the various soft drinks brands.

Furthermore, in my opinion, soft drinks fail in their tasks. I think foods and drinks should aim to be nutritional, tasty and satisfying. I for one, can't see any of these qualities in say, a can of Coke for example. Coke has little to no nutritional value, a can of coke contains 97 calories, and little else. Since I switched to drinking water, I don't think Coke is tasty at all. In my opinion, it's far too sweet and doesn't have any real depth of flavour. Finally, I don't find Coke to be thirst quenching at all. So as far as I can tell, there isn't any reason for me to drink it.

But despite this, the drinks are incredibly popular. Perhaps it's a matter of taste? I don't understand. I'll opt for orange juice or water any day thanks.

If I were to start drinking soft drinks again, then I think they would no doubt effect my athletic performance. As corny as the saying is, my body is a temple. And as such, I don't want to drink something with as many different chemicals as soft drinks, when I can just have pure water. What advantages do soft drinks have over water?

But what value do you think soft drinks have NG?

nobody goes there anymore. its too popular.

BBS Signature

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 02:48:26

Anyone who says Dr. Pepper isn't good sucks.

BBS Signature

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 02:48:45

a can of coke contains 150 calories, not 90.

caffeine free coke contains 140.

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 02:56:43

I agree Watershake that I prefer drinking powerade, gatorade, orange juice and other healthy drinks than coke but I can't stop drinking soft drinks, I have a weak power I guess. I go to Hungry Jacks sometimes with my dad and he orders the stuff while I wait outside, he'll usually ask me what I want to drink and having the option of coke just makes me choose it every time.

I'm thirteen and have been having an unhealthy lifestyle for a few years now, do any of you guys reckon it's not too late to get into healthy habits?

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 02:59:17

I like the taste of soda. To each his own.

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 03:01:18

At 8/3/10 02:56 AM, FurryDemon wrote: I agree Watershake that I prefer drinking powerade, gatorade, orange juice and other healthy drinks than coke but I can't stop drinking soft drinks, I have a weak power I guess. I go to Hungry Jacks sometimes with my dad and he orders the stuff while I wait outside, he'll usually ask me what I want to drink and having the option of coke just makes me choose it every time.

I think I understand what you mean. I used to feel quite similar before I stopped drinking soft drinks. What motivated me to do it, was having no actual understanding I was drinking. After about a week or so of not drinking any, it became incredibly easy. I guess my taste pallet just adjusted or something, now I find the drinks far too sweet.

I'm thirteen and have been having an unhealthy lifestyle for a few years now, do any of you guys reckon it's not too late to get into healthy habits?

No. It's never too late. Especially not at your age.

BBS Signature

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 04:27:58

At 8/3/10 02:48 AM, pyjamasbox wrote: a can of coke contains 150 calories, not 90.

caffeine free coke contains 140.

Oh my mistake, my source must have been using either old, or fictional data. (Calorie Counter Database).

After I did some more research, I found more sites and statistics than confirm your number. I also found some more worrying information.

A regular sized can of Coca-Cola Classic (12 fl oz) contains approximately 10 teaspoons of sugar or sweetener. This is equivalent of 39g of sugar. I know some people that drink about 3 cans a day, meaning that they have 117g of sugar a day, just in their Coke. Males are supposed to have 120g sugar of day. 3 cans of coke would equate to 97% of their sugar allowance.

Also, it seems like Coke served in fast food restaurants is even worse. According to one source, . A medium Coke that sells for $1.29 only contains about 9 cents' worth of Coke syrup.

I may seem to be focusing heavily on Coke, but thats because their statistics are the most readily available. I have no doubt that other soft drink companies are just as bad.

BBS Signature

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 05:12:51

At 8/3/10 04:27 AM, WaterShake wrote:
At 8/3/10 02:48 AM, pyjamasbox wrote: a can of coke contains 150 calories, not 90.
I may seem to be focusing heavily on Coke, but thats because their statistics are the most readily available. I have no doubt that other soft drink companies are just as bad.

dont most energy drinks have something around 15 teaspoons of sugar in them?

and i think ice coffee is almost as bad

either way i should cut back on both while i still have teeth left

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 05:14:38

Coke sells 3 trillion units a year?

Where are you getting this mumbo-jumbo from?

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 05:25:45

At 8/3/10 05:14 AM, Diddy wrote: Coke sells 3 trillion units a year?

Where are you getting this mumbo-jumbo from?

I got the statistic from here. http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~el6 /presentations/pres_c2_hoa/CCSalesfigure s.htm although actually, double checking, the source actually claims that Coke sild 6 trillion, not 3 in 2003.

I think you have to bear in mind that this isn't over the counter sales, but the bulk orders that they receive from restaurants, hotels, supermarkets and such like. Coke is sold throughout the world, everyday.

I'll try find a more reputable source for statistics later. But I think the popularity of soft drinks is irrefutable.

BBS Signature

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 05:26:43

I don't drink any soft drink other than Fanta because Fanta is delicious on a hot summers day. Sadly, those days aren't very frequent in the UK so I usually only drink tea, coffee and water.

Coke tastes like shit anyway.

BBS Signature

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 05:33:29

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2150972

Nowhere near 3 trillion, I knew that stat was bullshit just by how incredigbly large it was

A serving (officially) in it's smallest form is a can (330ml).

Around 400billion each year with 1.3billion per day and including growth.

400 billion ~ 6 trillion.

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 05:36:59

At 8/3/10 05:33 AM, Diddy wrote: http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2150972

Nowhere near 3 trillion, I knew that stat was bullshit just by how incredigbly large it was

A serving (officially) in it's smallest form is a can (330ml).

Around 400billion each year with 1.3billion per day and including growth.

400 billion ~ 6 trillion.

It did seem ridiculously large, the source also failed to quote any actual source of it's data. But I think the point stands, soft drinks sell in huge proportions.

I'd be interested in comparing the sales of soft drinks to other beverage types like bottled water or fruit juices for instance. But my searches are yet to yield suitable results.

I think i'll probably look into this some more later this evening.

BBS Signature

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 05:39:02

At 8/3/10 05:36 AM, WaterShake wrote:
I think i'll probably look into this some more later this evening.

Undoubtedly Coke is the largest TNC in the world with huge sales of their products.

Also, remember that Coca-Cola own a HUGE proportion of the drinks market so the cumulative sales per day won't just be "Coke", it'll be Sprite, bottled water, tea, coffee etc etc etc within their ranges.

But 6 trillion is a really silly figure lol, can't believe some moron from Germany came up with it!

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 06:49:21

whats bad about calories

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 06:51:42

At 8/3/10 06:49 AM, TacoFreak wrote: whats bad about calories

You get fat and eat a bowl of dicks andashdfbjsdbgjkdlhghkf

sdfgjusidghjgfh

BBS Signature

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 06:55:05

I like to drink cold stuff and stuff that actually feels like something your drinking. So soda water or soft drinks are my only options.

RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!

Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.

Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 07:16:04

Brb making a thread about why I don't like eating crackers without cheese and how it affects my life greatly.

But no. I don't even like coke and I still buy and drink it. Go figure that one out.

This is filler text.

The Noise I Make. || I'm not dead! || Confess. || AIM/MSN.

BBS Signature

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 07:24:04

At 8/3/10 07:16 AM, HungarianSupermarket wrote: Brb making a thread about why I don't like eating crackers without cheese and how it affects my life greatly.

Granted much of the basis of this topic is opinion, but I think it's something worse viewing. The vast majority of people are well aware of how unhealthy Coke and the likes are in comparison with other drinks, but we continue to drink them regardless.
I can understand this concept in other contexts, such as smoking, cakes, drinking etc. But in the case of Coke, most people I know that drink it don't even enjoy it all that much.

It's almost like they drink it out of apathy or something. I find it bizarre.

But no. I don't even like coke and I still buy and drink it. Go figure that one out.

I've tried. I can't.

BBS Signature

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 07:32:12

Just curious. Is chocolate milk very healthy/unhealthy compared to coke?

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 07:46:02

At 8/3/10 07:32 AM, FurryDemon wrote: Just curious. Is chocolate milk very healthy/unhealthy compared to coke?

I'd say it most likely differs from brand to brand. However, most milkshakes, do offer some form of nutritional value.

Calorie Counter Databse provides a breakdown of the nutritional value and contents of an "average" chocolate milkshake. You can see the results here, i'll summarise them.

A standard choc milkshake would still have a considerable amount of sugars, sweeteners and fats. But unlike Coke, there are some other nutrients. The milk base of the drink means that the drink also contains a small amount of protein as well, apparently 16g. Based on the information provided on this site, I wouldn't recommend substituting choc-shakes for Coke. But one or two a month won't kill you.

If you are looking for healthier alternatives to coke, then i'd recommend bottled water or some fruit smoothies and such like. The main problem with fruit smoothies and juices, is that they contain all the natural sugars found in fruit.

BBS Signature

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 07:49:40

At 8/3/10 07:32 AM, FurryDemon wrote: Just curious. Is chocolate milk very healthy/unhealthy compared to coke?

If you believe Jamie Oliver, flavored milk has more sugar than the equivelant amount of coke.

At 8/3/10 02:46 AM, WaterShake wrote: a can of coke contains 97 calories

Screencap below from coke's own website for a 12 fl. oz (355ml) can. Depending on where you live, such as australia where 375ml cans are the norm, it will obviously be greater.

The Value Of Soft Drinks

This is filler text.

BBS Signature

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 07:52:09

There are a lot of caffine-addicted junkies out there, and Coke, Pepsi, and the like is how they get their fix. Myself, I drink a few soft drinks a day, but only one is a Coke, the rest is Faygo.

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 07:53:49

At 8/3/10 07:49 AM, HungarianSupermarket wrote:
If you believe Jamie Oliver, flavored milk has more sugar than the equivelant amount of coke.

At 8/3/10 02:46 AM, WaterShake wrote: a can of coke contains 97 calories
Screencap below from coke's own website for a 12 fl. oz (355ml) can. Depending on where you live, such as australia where 375ml cans are the norm, it will obviously be greater.

Yeah someone else noticed this error earlier as well. My bad, the source I used is usually reliable about food and such like so I didn't think of double checking it. Apologies for any confusion or misunderstanding caused as a result, i'll try and avoid any more similar errors in future.

BBS Signature

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 07:58:45

One last question, is there a difference between tap water and cooler water/spring water?

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 08:15:28

At 8/3/10 07:58 AM, FurryDemon wrote: One last question, is there a difference between tap water and cooler water/spring water?

I think this depends a lot where you live. Where I live for example, if I were to drink a large amount of the tap water, I would die. It's not safe for human consumption and can only be used for washing and such like. We have to get other water delivered to the house to drink. But I know that in other parts of the world, the tap water is completely fine.

T he quality of the tap water is loosely dependant on the rock and soil type in your local area, the materiel that the water pipes are constructed from, and how the local authorities treat the water.

BBS Signature

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 08:30:10

I quite often drink water but when I do drink a soft drink it usually isn't coke, probably Sprite or Dr. Pepper.

Ink

BBS Signature

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 08:52:18

At 8/3/10 07:58 AM, FurryDemon wrote: One last question, is there a difference between tap water and cooler water/spring water?

You're an Australian. Go youtube that episode of the gruen transfer where they discussed this.

No, there isn't a difference. Its just a way of making some freaking easy money.

This is filler text.

BBS Signature

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 10:24:29

i believe in a balance between healthy and unhealthy, esspecially considering that I have been eating unhealthy my whole life. I've involved myself in martial arts my whole life and being fit is very important to my lifestyle. I basically eat a lot of both healthy and unhealthy food and then work on burning off the calories.

R.I.P Nick Curley

Response to The Value Of Soft Drinks 2010-08-03 12:04:19

They probably have the same value as most candies, in that they are chock full of sugar and not much else (well, except for some caffeine). They should be dranken in moderation along with other sugary products. I actually am started to get more into energy drinks like Powerade, but I heard that those do not do much for you either. If anything, just stick to milk and water or something. Sugar makes everything taste better.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock