00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Da-Birb just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Feature Games

9,240 Views | 132 Replies

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 01:24:28

At 7/6/10 01:23 AM, Gagsy wrote:
idk

Oh wait I forgot you can't do massive spaces like that fffffffffffff

I'm sure you know what I meant :(

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 01:38:32

I go straight for the games, but i wish that i'd gone for the movie, the movies are always different, the games are always similar.

.....There was a hole. *sig by LimitedMortality*

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 01:45:26

Terrible idea.

As much as I support the fellow artist who put countless hours in making games. There are many terrible games out there. I personally thought the Manhattan thing was lame. Not to mentions there were a ridiculous amount of ads. To much for comfort. I do understand that Newgrounds started out as a gaming site but over the years Newgrounds has been the breeding ground for Flash Films. Sure games have come out. But in the longrun the only games worth mentioning are the ones tom promotes.
Sure you play a game and you win. Horray? With Flash movies they stick with you. You can constantly replay it and enjoy it. With games your limited on enjoyment. Considering most games have a set Idea of how they want you to experience it.

All I'm saying is Bad Idea.

But what is a good Idea, is the new Icon resizing after robot day =P

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 01:55:37

Casual visitors seem to notice and play the games under the movies more often, and not actually watch the movies. I think it would grab a larger casual group of visitors to NG into the movies section as well.

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 01:58:01

Typically I don't see the good stuff featured anyhow, so I don't really care.
No way that they would be seen by more people. Are lines for things, for everything.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 03:35:41

Personally I enjoyed the flash movies on top, but I'm solely an animator so I'm severely biased. I watch way waaaay more movies then I do play games, that's just how it's always been for me. I always thought what made the system fair, was that it was essentially:

Featured Game
|
Movies
|
Games

Which seemed pretty balanced to me. But hey, it's up to you guys. Honestly the change probably wont affect me at all, it's just different from what I'm used to.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 04:33:33

Cool, it doesn't make much different to me as the Movie section is still easy to find, if it brings more traffic to the site then great!

I like Luis' seasonal idea, there are times of the year like Pico day when I just want to watch animations, but to be honest I really don't care if I have to scroll down a few pixels.

I actually think citricsquids point about content being hard to find is something much more important that needs be addressed for Newgrounds to attract these new audiences that it is looking for.

As a newcomer to the website it really is hard to find content past the Front page and Flash portal. Sometimes If i'm having a lazy day I want to sit around watching animations, and Newgrounds is by default my first port of call. However, the Movies section is updated so infrequently that its surprisingly hard to find anything entertaining that I haven't watched before. I know there is content there, but I just can't find it! If i'm honest, I usually end up on Vimeo. The case is the same with Games, although the problem isn't as noticeable. As more and more high quality Flash games are being developed the Front Page can keep a steady flow of great new games.

Some of the recent changes have definitely helped address these problems, I'm sure the recommended submissions on submission pages helps generate traffic to my other submissions, but it doesn't solve the massive problem of actually finding content once its left the Front Page. For a start, we need a revamped searching system that lets users search for keywords as well as title and author.

Just my 2p!

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 06:35:16

So now games get the top area AS WELL AS that big banner style advert. That thing has only linked to a movie a couple of times.

Having a game in that banner, but giving movies the higher box equalled it out. Now its predominantly games. Change it back please!

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 07:44:06

Don't care if they are up

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 07:53:10

Flash games on top is the smartest choice for now. The Flash movies don't seem to have the competitive edge they used to, honestly I believe the monthly monetary rewards for the best flash were the best thing this site did for motivating flash animators (if you don't believe me just look how many of the big animators pump out something for Pico day or Halloween), sure they bitched when they didn't always win, but they pumped out hilarious or high quality or amazing flash nonetheless. The flash ads don't work in their favor like it is for the games. Then things like Power of Three are promoted, taking more animators away from movies.

The flash animation scene seems to be waning here, so it's no surprise that games should go on top, because to me, someone who used to come here mainly for movies, now games are were the good stuff is. Sorry if I come over overly negative I don't mean to I just want to make this point.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 08:33:01

I think we're missing the real draw of the site on the front page...

Feature Games

None

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 09:02:28

Wow, normally I'm pretty cool with most of the site changes you guys make but this I really don't like.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 12:50:13

At 7/6/10 06:35 AM, PapaLongLegs wrote: So now games get the top area AS WELL AS that big banner style advert. That thing has only linked to a movie a couple of times.

Having a game in that banner, but giving movies the higher box equalled it out. Now its predominantly games. Change it back please!

The simple fact is... the games audience pays our bills. If you guys can somehow rally a surge of new users to come watch the movies on the site and get them to provide the majority of financial support for NG, then we can change the layout back and put more movies in the featured content block!

This could actually be possible if every single person complaining about these changes would actually use the "Share this!" link found in the Author Comments box of every submission. There may not be many flash movie portals, but there are a shit ton of social media networks that love to be spoon fed great content like the animators on NG provide.

This works for the YouTube community. In fact, a lot of popular YouTube movies were submitted here on Newgrounds first, but got no real push on social media from the fans in the NG community.

Of course we are working hard to make both gaems and movies easier to find and share in the redesign, but until then, you guys being more active in sharing your favorite stuff could make a huge impact.

Ball's in your court kids.

Feature Games

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 13:07:43

I always wanted a way of subscribing. You know, in case your favorite author decides to send in a new flash video of a bad ass series. Not all of us have a lot of time on our hands to check and remember all the authors.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 13:53:10

Well if we cant yet customize the front page ourselves to move around what we want to see, then quit being idiots and go with the idea of putting them right next to eachother in columns so everyone gets what they want.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 15:10:16

At 7/6/10 12:50 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: Ball's in your court kids.

Oh, I totally forgot that button was there. I shall begin using it at once.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 15:13:00

Wow i didn't actually notice it.
All i thought is that those games were replaces by others but they were actually movies XD

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 15:41:16

At 7/6/10 01:01 PM, citricsquid wrote: Actually, Newgrounds needs to do a lot to support this. I try to support Newgrounds as much as possible, I submit Newgrounds submissions to reddit a lot but they never go very far (ranking wise). Why? There is no icons. I could submit a game from Kongregate and the same game from Newgrounds, the Kongregate link will rank higher, having every Newgrounds submission display the tank logo means that people just ignore it, there is nothing to catch their eye.

This is part of the reason for the increased thumbnail size and another one of those legacy problems that goes back to our icon format being a decade old. Modern sites generally ignore 46x46 thumbnails as being below the threshold. Everything should become a lot more visible after the new thumbnails go into effect.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 15:58:01

Well, personally, I probably would prefer it if there were movies on top of games, which there already are, of course. As a prolific reviewer, I do think there probably are in fact more movies than games in total, but you would of course know about that than I would even. Of all the stuff I have favorited, there is a lot more in the movies department, which I think is true for most people with a lot of favorites anyway.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 17:23:00

At 7/6/10 03:10 PM, Jimtopia wrote:
At 7/6/10 12:50 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: Ball's in your court kids.
Oh, I totally forgot that button was there. I shall begin using it at once.

Needs more social media websites I use.
Facebook....and errrrrrrrrrrr....stumble....Yeah!

That's about all I use.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 17:31:18

At 7/6/10 08:33 AM, Luis wrote: I think we're missing the real draw of the site on the front page...

Also...Yes. This please.

Luis is smart. People should listen to him more.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 18:57:18

Just an observation... most of the gripes now seem to be about everything BUT the front page. Mission accomplished!

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 23:36:18

I prefer movies first. I mean, the movies are what I feel Newgrounds has always been more known for (although, your opinion on whether or not that is actually true is kind of important). Since the release of Castle Crashers, it seems like people have been referring to NG as a flash GAME site, and I think displaying movies first would clearly show people that movies are here too, and have always been equally important to the site, if not more important than games.

Also, it's not what I'm used to, bitch bitch bitch, whine moan whine.

Ye

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 23:51:30

Movies>games

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 23:52:20

At 7/6/10 08:33 AM, Luis wrote: I think we're missing the real draw of the site on the front page...

I can only dream...

Feature Games

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 23:56:25

I have to say when I first came on the day it changed i was wondering were did it go since for years I have been scrolling down to view the games but now it is at the top and I think it is kinda awkward but in time it will become normal.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-07 00:45:29

Also, am I the only person who liked it better when all the flash submissions, games and movies, were all in one big section? What if it went back to that, but there was a very small icon in the corner of every icon (a meta-icon, if you will) that had a little game/movie symbol to show what it was. It would be like how audio submissions have a little CD symbol or whatever, except the symbols would be like, 10 by 6 pixels in size or something, and might not look bad on the new, larger flash icons.

I know it's not the best idea, but you know, I'm just throwing stuff out there.

Oh, or perhaps movies in one, long, vertical column, and the games in another column to the right of it.

Ye

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-07 00:54:27

I think its a great idea.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-07 01:36:18

At 7/5/10 01:28 PM, Zoete wrote: Games are more important... above movies if you ask me.

It's not that they're more important, but it's undeniable that a good front page game TYPICALLY had more put into it then a movie.

Games usually need an artist AND a coder, it's more likely to be a two man ordeal then a movie, which just needs an artist.

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-07 06:03:41

I like the games on top better. I usually play the games on the front page and then if I have time I'll watch any of the movies that catch my eye.