00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kingkavvvv just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Feature Games

9,228 Views | 132 Replies

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 17:42:56

You could make the overall page wider and put them side by side. I'm viewing Newgrounds at 1440x900 and the page looks skinny.

EXTERMINATE!!!

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 17:44:36

At 7/5/10 04:07 PM, VitaminP wrote:
At 7/5/10 03:58 PM, Archon68 wrote: All Games and Movies should be treated equal!
Gargagags

That looks bad.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 18:00:20

At 7/5/10 05:44 PM, Jolly wrote: That looks bad.

Yes, and we should keep in mind the new 140x90 icons being added.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 18:02:01

You know...

Feature Games

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 18:03:13

At 7/5/10 05:26 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Cmon Tom! Newgrounds is a flash movie site originally

Incorrect. NG's original flash works were done by Tom, and were all Games. No movies whatsoever, as far as I can recall. So this was originally a flash gaming site.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 18:04:05

At 7/5/10 06:02 PM, TehSlapHappy wrote: You know...

I've heard things of actually all icons represent the movie/song/whatever like the art thing does. You should look into how the art portal works, imagine everything working like that? maybe?

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 18:04:39

At 7/5/10 06:03 PM, liljim wrote:
At 7/5/10 05:26 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Cmon Tom! Newgrounds is a flash movie site originally
Incorrect. NG's original flash works were done by Tom, and were all Games. No movies whatsoever, as far as I can recall. So this was originally a flash gaming site.

When did it become a movie site? Because when I came here in 2000 or 2001, it had movies.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 18:10:07

I THOUGHT something looked strange. I generally come to Newgrounds to play the games, but every once in a while I sit down and enjoy a movie.

It really doesn't make a difference to me which one is on top or not.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 18:13:57

At 7/5/10 06:04 PM, Scarface wrote: When did it become a movie site? Because when I came here in 2000 or 2001, it had movies.

It didn't become a movie site. The Flash Portal has always had a combination of both movies and games since it became automated (and to a degree when Tom was accepting fan flash and putting it in the non-automated portal before all of that). The point is that it started out as a showcase for Tom's flash, which I THINK was all games.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 18:16:00

At 7/5/10 01:23 PM, TomFulp wrote: A lot of people have asked for it and I've always been curious, so I'm experimenting with what happens when GAMES are featured above MOVIES on the front page. I'm just saying it to hopefully prevent a bunch of threads about it. THOUGHTS?

Please Tom, I want you to try this idea out. It will be great

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 18:18:54

People aren't making threads about it, but they sure are overreacting about it on their userpage.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 18:36:36

At 7/5/10 06:18 PM, Chdonga wrote: People aren't making threads about it, but they sure are overreacting about it on their userpage.

That's a first.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 18:39:39

At 7/5/10 06:18 PM, Chdonga wrote: People aren't making threads about it, but they sure are overreacting about it on their userpage.

No threads, you say?

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 18:41:51

At 7/5/10 06:39 PM, Archon68 wrote:
No threads, you say?

Guilty as charged.

Thanks aplenty to Phobotech for the great user icon.

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 19:08:29

I don't know if it's been posted yet, but maybe you could try to go for a columnar format on the front page, with Movies to the left, and Games to the right. That way, they share equal space and alignment.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 19:13:16

At 7/5/10 01:27 PM, Stevenscar wrote: What if we could choose where things appeared for us on the front page?

Then everyone can have what they like best where they're likely to look for it.

This.

Although I prefer movies above games, mostly because the main featured flash is normally a game.

I was all like wutdefuk whenever I came here today.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 19:28:20

If I wanted flash games, I'd go to armor games...

I go to newgrounds for the toons >8 (.

Otherwise, cool.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 19:33:41

YOU'RE A MAD MAN!

A mad man!

I wish I was PaintSplat's. alt. account.

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 20:00:34

Well there are more people who come here to play games than movies. I personally come here for both though. I'd much rather watch the good movies though so I like having the movies above the games but it isn't a big issue in my opinon. Having to scroll down a little more isn't going to kill my wrist.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 20:20:34

I prefer movies, but I understand why you'd have games on top. As stated before, it'd be a good idea to have a movie of the week more often if the movies are going to be lower.

But yeah, games on top, because I think games are more of an impulsive thing. You click on newgrounds.com, see a game, think "that seems nice" then play it for like 30 minutes. For movies, you usually watch several, so people who usually watch movies are used to browsing for them. When I play games it's just the featured games.

In the end it probably just boils down to popularity.

My signature was old so I changed it.

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 20:48:30

Movies are what make newgrounds unique but games might bring in more money for you if they are above movies. Maybe if they were side by side on the new layout? i donno

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 20:50:06

At 7/5/10 08:48 PM, Starogre wrote: Movies are what make newgrounds unique but games might bring in more money for you if they are above movies. Maybe if they were side by side on the new layout? i donno

actually i guess you started the site based on flash games so don't mind me i'm just eatin pizza

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 20:50:36

I personally would like it, I tend to play game much more to watch movies, but I don't mind scrolling down.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 20:54:27

are we really listing things in order of importance? my eye is always drawn to the center of the page anyway, i never really scan things left-to-right on the internet, i start from focal point outward, which for media-content rich sites like this - is almost always centered. if anything its in a more prominent spot. but i dunno. i never search with those big buttons anyway. i search for stuff in the bar or just type it in the link directly.

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-05 22:56:59

At 7/5/10 09:53 PM, cast wrote:
At 7/5/10 06:03 PM, liljim wrote:
How could you forget about the Telebubbies?

Actually, I had forgotten about that. Whoops.

FDA might be a bit of a stretch if you consider 'original' content everything before the automated portal..

FDA was Shok's brainchild. Tom put that together for him. It wasn't one of his own projects.

Hell the real original content wasn't even built with Flash. lol

Well, I was talking about the original FLASH content. The javascript/HTML based games became irrelevant after Flash came around and Tom started using it as a medium to get his ideas across (at least in NG's context). Stop being pedantic. :-P

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 00:59:07

Quality games that make it to front page are not uploaded frequently enough to keep up with the expectation of new material every other visit. Yes, there are some very good games on the front page right now (preferably the more artsy ones), but having them over movies just doesn't make sense. Both category's get the same publicity, but I see Newgrounds primarily as a Movie site, not a game one, switching up the order makes a huge difference; come to the site to watch some movies and then play some games, or play some games then watch some movies. Personally I'm only here for the dicks.

Having not only a large featured game window at the top but followed the other front paged ones leads me to believe that newgrounds focus is now primarily games, something that appeals most to bored children. This is very poor judgment on the staffs part for trying to go about this with an open mind, half the tools arguing in this thread are too busy trying defend their reputation rather then standing for their honest opinion.

I have pissed and moaned about several outrageous layout changes on other sites such as youtube, but for newgrounds, a site where the administration actually gives a fuck to listen to what people have to say, I find it very discouraging that such a controversial decision to change the order of the featured material is passed on so lightly.

If this is the sort of direction we're to expect to see in the highly anticipated big layout change, then I do not welcome it.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 01:01:57

What makes me sad is reading through the blogs and seeing all the complaints that NG is gonna be "just another Flash game site..." People don't even know anymore that NG was THE FLASH GAME SITE and all those other sites exist because of what was built here for years before them. The whole sponsorship system grew out of unknown sites sponsoring games here on NG to get publicity.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 01:07:54

Keep it with flash movies on top please :( games are good but the movies are the best.

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 01:15:32

At 7/6/10 01:01 AM, TomFulp wrote: What makes me sad is reading through the blogs and seeing all the complaints that NG is gonna be "just another Flash game site..." People don't even know anymore that NG was THE FLASH GAME SITE and all those other sites exist because of what was built here for years before them. The whole sponsorship system grew out of unknown sites sponsoring games here on NG to get publicity.

Then why go back to it's factory settings? If anything newgrounds is also the original flash movie site. I would rather have a laugh before a time waster.

Response to Feature Games 2010-07-06 01:23:08

Seems like a good thing to me. I think games on here should be more focused on, what with the added bonus of collecting game medals which I'm sure people will and have been joining NG to do.

With things like youtube about and people just watching a lot of flash on there now, it's probably right to try and draw people to the site more by giving them gaming options first, something they can't just do on youtube of course.

Or why not just make both feature lists into two column lists that goes down. So instead of having it 2 by 6, you can just have them both 1 by 12, side by side. So it would be;

Features Movies | Featured Games
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

idk

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]