00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheArmoredAvian just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest)

19,685 Views | 259 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-06 18:04:35

Just so you know even though I won't be participating I thank you for providing backing tracks I can practice to.

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-07 05:34:34

So any news on who is going against who as far as metal goes?

I know karate,kung-fu,and 48 other intimidating words

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-07 11:39:32

At 7/7/10 05:34 AM, carnagereap wrote: So any news on who is going against who as far as metal goes?

Yeah. I'll work on the tracks this weekend, when I have more time, to make them more high quality. The pairing is you VS Pure-Metal-USA in a metal match, and Zhuriel VS Darkmaster603 in a blues/rock match.

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-07 16:50:57

I want in this contest. I wanna do metal. I can provide my own backing track if you need me too

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-08 04:18:28

At 7/7/10 11:39 AM, thecoreman wrote: Yeah. I'll work on the tracks this weekend, when I have more time, to make them more high quality. The pairing is you VS Pure-Metal-USA in a metal match, and Zhuriel VS Darkmaster603 in a blues/rock match.

That sounds awesome. I'm sure we will have some sick battles.

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-08 06:47:56

I can drop a track for this if you still have spots available. Any genre is fine, but rock or metal would be best.

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-08 12:26:26

I won't be able to record for the next two weeks, so maybe you should put me in a later battle.

There's 10 kinds of people.

Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-08 14:42:27

I'm heading out of town for about a week. I'll have a rough idea for a solo written before I get back and have it recorded when I do.

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-09 11:50:42

I will definitely sign up. I like to play classic rock/ ambient type stuff. Some metal. And recently over a lot of electronic music.

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-10 15:02:00

At 7/7/10 11:39 AM, thecoreman wrote:
At 7/7/10 05:34 AM, carnagereap wrote: So any news on who is going against who as far as metal goes?
Yeah. I'll work on the tracks this weekend, when I have more time, to make them more high quality. The pairing is you VS Pure-Metal-USA in a metal match, and Zhuriel VS Darkmaster603 in a blues/rock match.

So how are the tracks coming?

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-10 15:08:04

Sign me up, I do mainly like rock metal crossover.

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-11 06:46:50

At 7/10/10 03:02 PM, carnagereap wrote:
At 7/7/10 11:39 AM, thecoreman wrote:
So how are the tracks coming?

Great, I've finished the Rock/Blues one (which came out, without exaggeration, the best track I've ever made) and currently trying to write the metal one. It's harder though since I don't really play metal. Also, I won't release them until we've found who the winner of the first battle, So we'll get a feel of what's happening at the end of a battle and start the second round pairings. Nosferatu-of-Worms still needs to send me his track :\

Also, working on a new song, 2 new softwares (Massive and Absynth 5, both from Native Instruments), on my band (and the band's MySpace page lol), and practicing my own playing... And working, studying, and watching the world cup. And I'm flying to Netherlands for a week in a few days. So anyway, you can see that I'm a pretty busy guy, but don't worry, I didn't forget about the contest :P

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-11 12:57:19

At 7/11/10 06:46 AM, thecoreman wrote: Great, I've finished the Rock/Blues one (which came out, without exaggeration, the best track I've ever made) and currently trying to write the metal one. It's harder though since I don't really play metal. Also, I won't release them until we've found who the winner of the first battle, So we'll get a feel of what's happening at the end of a battle and start the second round pairings. Nosferatu-of-Worms still needs to send me his track :\

You take your time man. There is no need to rush, metal can be a hard thing if you don't play it!

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-11 17:25:32

DUDE! i would like to sign up for this. my style is metal or classic.

DXsamurai......

BBS Signature

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-11 17:27:20

It's harder though since I don't really play metal. Also, I won't release them until we've found who the winner of the first battle, So we'll get a feel of what's happening at the end of a battle and start the second round pairings. Nosferatu-of-Worms still needs to send me his track :\
I have a metal track (it not great but it could be useful)

DXsamurai......

BBS Signature

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-11 17:44:57

At 7/11/10 05:27 PM, DXsamurai wrote: It's harder though since I don't really play metal. Also, I won't release them until we've found who the winner of the first battle, So we'll get a feel of what's happening at the end of a battle and start the second round pairings. Nosferatu-of-Worms still needs to send me his track :\
I have a metal track (it not great but it could be useful)

Hit the quote button when you are quoting someone. So there is no confusion.

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-12 07:46:56

At 7/11/10 05:27 PM, DXsamurai wrote: I have a metal track (it not great but it could be useful)

Email it to me - dude500@gmail.com

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-12 11:24:34

Hey, I'm Chickumbleh and I like to play my guitar for heavy blues.

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-12 11:26:32

At 7/12/10 11:24 AM, Chickumbleh wrote: Hey, I'm Chickumbleh and I like to play my guitar for heavy blues.

Forgot to say, I won't be able to record for like 2 weeks, my bad.

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-13 04:15:59

The new battle is up!!! Sorry Zhuriel, but since you can't record I'll wait to put you in a later battle. Lemme know when you fix your recording issues.

Download "Rock 2" here!
Darkmaster603 VS CherokeePurple
Genre - Rock

Please be awesome, this is the best, highest quality track I've ever made :D

Like last time, the .rar file has 2 files in it - the backing track (mp3 file) and an info file named "rock2.txt" that has lots of super-secret important info in it, like when you solo, scales, ect.

A Few Pointers
A few lessons learned from the previous battle. Take them into consideration when recording your solo.
- Don't make your solo a just a huge block of sound. Silence is a part of music as well
- Being connected to the backing track in your solo makes your solo seem way more professional and makes it sound a whole lot better
- Try to work on the solo the day you get the track, otherwise you'll forget about doing it and it will seem like an obligation all of the sudden
- Distortion can make a solo, and distortion can ruin a solo

IMPORTANT - New time limit
I've decided to set the time limit for a person to answer a challenge to 3 weeks. After that it's disqualification, and a technical win to the person who DID submit their track.

Good luck!

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-13 06:24:57

Woah! Don't use media fire. I can't even dowload the file without a bombardment of ads, spam, pop-up, and lag.

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-13 06:41:01

Awesome, I'll have to make good use of this. I'll try not to disappoint.

Comment/follow/click on some ads

Sig courtesy of InvisibleObserver

BBS Signature

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-13 14:14:56

At 7/13/10 06:24 AM, carnagereap wrote: Woah! Don't use media fire. I can't even dowload the file without a bombardment of ads, spam, pop-up, and lag.

It's called AdBlock, man. Use it.

At 7/13/10 06:41 AM, Darkmaster603 wrote: Awesome, I'll have to make good use of this. I'll try not to disappoint.

Hoping so! I really did way too much time into the track, lol. Hope you enjoy it.

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-13 14:49:59

Hey, nice idea:) Can i join?

I play funky/blues most of the time, but metal is ok too.

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-13 15:41:59

At 7/13/10 02:14 PM, thecoreman wrote:
At 7/13/10 06:24 AM, carnagereap wrote: Woah! Don't use media fire. I can't even dowload the file without a bombardment of ads, spam, pop-up, and lag.
It's called AdBlock, man. Use it

... Nah.

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-14 22:38:50

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring. I'm not really a good guitarist, self taught and been playing for only 3 years, but I'm totally up for trying!

I play metal and harder rock. I would try blues or something but... I've never played blues, so that would just be a nice big steaming pile of failure right there.

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-14 22:49:55

Hell, I'll give it a try.
I'm a Progressive Rock / Progressive Metal sorta guy.

BBS Signature

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-15 02:55:23

I'd say I'll go up but some things came up and I can't guarantee I can do it. So give me a backing track and I'll see if I can do anything.
I play Melodic Death, Thrash and anything else you'd classify my music as.

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-15 15:44:59

I could take a shot at it. I wanna challenge myself so I'd categorize myself as either Progressive Metal or Melodic Death.

I can also create a backing track if I get the time. That would probably help things out a bit.

ReverbNation | Twitter | Youtube | Facebook

(Latest track) "MAC12 - Viking Barbers from Outer Space" - Classical

BBS Signature

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-15 15:54:55

how do i sign up cause i want IN