00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

knehzoo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest)

19,683 Views | 259 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello guitarists and people who came to gawk at guitarists!

I've looked through old forum posts of mine, and discovered that I promised the portal an epic guitar battle royal. Like, months ago. It might take me time, but I always keep my promises :)

What are you talking about?
We all like guitar battles. They're awesome. So let's make an organised business out of it! The contest is going to be built like this - every 2 guitarists will get a backing track considering their playing styles and requests. I will make the backing tracks myself, but if someone's feeling generous to make a backing track himself, it will be greatly appreciated (and will save me lots of work, lol). The winner of each battle will be decided by me and another judge or two (which I'll recruit).

Then what?
This phase will continue a while... No final date decided yet. The winners of the first phase will go up against each other, again in pairs of 2. We'll continue doing this we'll have 2 final challengers. The final battle's winner is decided by EVERYONE - it will be a vote.

Besides the awesomeness, what do we get?
The winner gets the following -
- ALL the backing tracks that will be used.
- I'll try to promote you as much as possible.
- Respect from the NG guitarist community, hopefully :P

Anythings else we should know about?
- You may use any guitar you'd like - if you think you can win by pulling a bass solo, go ahead :)
- While effects, special techniques, recording techniques, equipment, crowd, and lots of channels are allowed, you are to only use your guitar.
- No bitching - have fun! While this is a contest, it's for enjoyment.

So signup! Please tell what style you'll prefer when you signup, and ask any questions you'd like. For example - I'm thecoreman, and I'm okay with blues, rock, funk, jazz, metal, classical and spanish.

Let the battles begin!

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-04 11:23:56

Awesome! I want to signup! i play mostly rock :D

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-04 11:40:40

I'M SIGNING UP!!!!

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-04 11:58:24

Awesome! Welcome abroad, you'll have a rock jam track in no time (maybe even today)!

Also, just to clarify - you E-mail the guitar track to me and I'll mix it with the other person's track and the backing track. Don't upload it or anything. Also, name the file like this: "Your username - Backing track name.wav". For example - "Thecoreman - Rock 1.wav". My E-mail is dude500@gmail.com .

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-04 12:20:29

If I can sort out my guitar and recording problem then i'm throwing up a grappling hook. Otherwise my 7 years of guitaring is confined to sounding horrible in FLS. :(

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-04 12:51:58

First Jam track is ready!

Download "Rock 1" here!
carlitozsx56686 VS Nosferatu-of-Worms
Genre - Rock

The .rar file has 2 files in it - an .mp3 file, which is the jam track, and a text file which has useful information like when do you jam, what's the chord progression, scales that should work, cetera. That's how all the jam track will be sent.

Good luck!

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-04 13:01:03

Jeez, I haven't soloed over anything in over a year lol. I'll give this a try, sign me up!

Comment/follow/click on some ads

Sig courtesy of InvisibleObserver

BBS Signature

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-04 18:39:40

At 7/4/10 12:51 PM, thecoreman wrote: First Jam track is ready!

Download "Rock 1" here!
carlitozsx56686 VS Nosferatu-of-Worms
Genre - Rock

The .rar file has 2 files in it - an .mp3 file, which is the jam track, and a text file which has useful information like when do you jam, what's the chord progression, scales that should work, cetera. That's how all the jam track will be sent.

Good luck!

I have a question, I send you an e-mail with just the guitar track or the guitar track mixed with the backing track?

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-04 18:49:14

At 7/4/10 06:39 PM, carlitozsx56686 wrote: I have a question, I send you an e-mail with just the guitar track or the guitar track mixed with the backing track?

sorry i didn't read well that you posted my answer before... my bad

Sorry for double posting, too

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-04 19:30:34

Alright sign me up. I play death metal so if you could conjuer up a backing track for me, that'd be great. But do I make the riffs, licks, and stuff then send it, and you make Backing track, or do you make it and I have to follow it? Thank you bery much

I know karate,kung-fu,and 48 other intimidating words

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-04 20:09:11

I forgot to mention the genres lol.

Blues
Metal
Classic rock
Classical
Latin

BBS Signature

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-04 20:23:53

Btw, is there a certain deadline you'd like the track by?

And for future reference I play.

Everything...

But prefer...

Neo-Classical, melodic death metal, and thrash metal.

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-04 20:26:11

At 7/4/10 08:23 PM, Nosferatu-of-Worms wrote: Btw, is there a certain deadline you'd like the track by?

Everything...

But prefer...

Can I collab with you after this?

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-04 21:23:16

At 7/4/10 08:09 PM, Darkmaster603 wrote: I forgot to mention the genres lol.

Blues
Metal
Classic rock
Classical
Latin

I should also mention I prefer neoclassical metal

BBS Signature

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-04 21:56:19

At 7/4/10 08:26 PM, carnagereap wrote:
At 7/4/10 08:23 PM, Nosferatu-of-Worms wrote: Btw, is there a certain deadline you'd like the track by?

Everything...

But prefer...

Maybe dude. To be honest I'm lucky I even have the necessary tools to record this right now. But hey, I'll hit you up when I get improved recording equipment (or at least at the equivalent standards of what I used to have).

Also, I'm surprised how many people like Neo-Classical shred/metal.

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-04 22:10:41

At 7/4/10 09:56 PM, Nosferatu-of-Worms wrote:
At 7/4/10 08:26 PM, carnagereap wrote:

Everything...

But prefer...

Maybe dude. To be honest I'm lucky I even have the necessary tools to record this right now. But hey, I'll hit you up when I get improved recording equipment (or at least at the equivalent standards of what I used to have).

Also, I'm surprised how many people like Neo-Classical shred/metal.

Something I'd recommend is the Line 6 Guitar Port. It's good size, USB, comes with recording software (I don't like it though), over 90 different settings, tones, preamps, et cetera. And it's what I use. So if you were looking for something, that's your product.

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-05 03:08:51

I'd prefer you to send me a track within a week... Should I make it a disqualification if you don't? Like, not you specifically but on every Jam?

At 7/4/10 01:01 PM, Darkmaster603 wrote: Jeez, I haven't soloed over anything in over a year lol. I'll give this a try, sign me up!

Awesome dude, ANOTHER project together :D You're singed up! I didn't know you play blues and rock, I was sure you were a strictly classical guy.

At 7/4/10 07:30 PM, carnagereap wrote: Alright sign me up. I play death metal so if you could conjuer up a backing track for me, that'd be great. But do I make the riffs, licks, and stuff then send it, and you make Backing track, or do you make it and I have to follow it? Thank you bery much

I make the backing track, and you solo on it. If you want to make the backing track that's way cool, but you can't make your own backing track for your own jam, cause that's unfair to your challenger.

At 7/4/10 11:40 PM, LaForge wrote: I'm not too hot on recording at the moment, but I'll gladly be a judge. I've done my time on guitar and I believe I'm qualified.

Awesome, dude. You're signed up as a judge. After I mix the jams I'll send them to you and you say who you thinks win. I'll do this as well, and another judge as well, so it's always gonna be 2-1 or 3-0. So we need another judge.

OK guys, I'm going to hold off and wait until some more people signup before I pair you up and do the backing tracks, to have more fitting challenger that feel comfortable with the genre of the backing tracks. Hopefully lots of guitarists will join in!

Also, just for the record, not only I love neoclassical metal, I watched Yngwie Fuckin' Malmsteen perform LIVE and even caught his guitar pick :D

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-05 03:33:38

Thanks for answering my question. I didn't plan on making my own backing track. I don't play strictly Death metal so sign me up with anybody and I'll be fine. But no jazz! Or Blues!

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-05 05:10:49

I have a question to you guys... I got carlitozsx56686 track. Without judging whether the track is good or bad, I started mixing it... And I want to ask you guys, how much am I allowed to edit? Should I just put it next to the track, or can I edit levels throughout the track, add fadeouts, ect.? I'm putting the guitars 80% left and right to give a battle-ish feeling, but can I do anything beyond that? Is it fair?

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-05 05:20:33

At 7/5/10 05:10 AM, thecoreman wrote: I have a question to you guys... I got carlitozsx56686 track. Without judging whether the track is good or bad, I started mixing it... And I want to ask you guys, how much am I allowed to edit? Should I just put it next to the track, or can I edit levels throughout the track, add fadeouts, ect.? I'm putting the guitars 80% left and right to give a battle-ish feeling, but can I do anything beyond that? Is it fair?

I'd say fix levels through out, add fade outs, and stuff is fine. Don't add effects in (delay, chorus), but try to get both guitars to have equal volume. So say Carlito's was screeching loud and Nosferatu's was quiet, you need to find a balance for them. But that's what I'd do!

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-05 05:26:43

At 7/5/10 05:10 AM, thecoreman wrote: I have a question to you guys... I got carlitozsx56686 track. Without judging whether the track is good or bad, I started mixing it... And I want to ask you guys, how much am I allowed to edit? Should I just put it next to the track, or can I edit levels throughout the track, add fadeouts, ect.? I'm putting the guitars 80% left and right to give a battle-ish feeling, but can I do anything beyond that? Is it fair?

I think no effects should be added, everything else up to you. I mean, whatever makes it have the best listening experience

BBS Signature

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-05 05:28:19

By the way, you're a lucky man to catch King Yngwie's pick. I think he uses 1 mm thick picks right?

I actually use V-picks for electric. 2mm fiberglass awesomeness.

BBS Signature

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-05 05:30:27

At 7/5/10 05:28 AM, Darkmaster603 wrote: By the way, you're a lucky man to catch King Yngwie's pick. I think he uses 1 mm thick picks right?

I actually use V-picks for electric. 2mm fiberglass awesomeness.

Triple post FTW. (actually, please don't ban me)

I don't know why I said fiberglass, I think it's just plastic.

BBS Signature

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-05 05:50:17

Triple post FTW, dude, but try to summarize your thoughts next time before you post :) Also, here a picture of the pick. I framed it with the concert ticket and hung it on my wall. Don't know if you can see, but it has Yngwie's signature on it :D

FTW

The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest)

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-05 13:13:27

I love how you framed it.

Anyway, I take back my death metal style. I'll play anyone who said metal (whether it be Neo-Classical, metal, death metal, et ceterea).

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-05 17:02:51

That sounds like fun! I play mostly metal, but also like rock, blues and a little jazz.

There's 10 kinds of people.

Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-05 17:36:14

Sign me up! I do more melo death metal and thrash metal music.
Question about effects though: you say that while effects are allowed, I can only use guitar only. Does that means that I can use effects like GR4 and such, right?

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-05 18:03:43

At 7/5/10 05:36 PM, Pure-Metal-UTA wrote: Sign me up! I do more melo death metal and thrash metal music.
Question about effects though: you say that while effects are allowed, I can only use guitar only. Does that means that I can use effects like GR4 and such, right?

Yes. What I meant was that you can do a crazy effects, but no other instruments - you can't add pads in FL or get a violinist in your recordings. Get the point?

I see lots of metal challengers... I'll try to make good backing tracks for you, but FYI metal is my least played style, so it might take a while.

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-05 19:27:02

At 7/5/10 06:03 PM, thecoreman wrote: I see lots of metal challengers... I'll try to make good backing tracks for you, but FYI metal is my least played style, so it might take a while.

When I said neoclassical metal is perfered, I just meant for metal. I actually would prefer to do blues or rock

BBS Signature

Response to The Epic Battle Of Guitar (contest) 2010-07-06 13:20:10

At 7/5/10 06:03 PM, thecoreman wrote: I see lots of metal challengers... I'll try to make good backing tracks for you, but FYI metal is my least played style, so it might take a while.

There are three (strictly) metal challengers. I only counted people who said they prefer metal.