00:00
00:00

2010 Fifa World Cup Thread

103,993 Views | 3,064 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 11:20:23

Wow if UK loses against USA the hooligans will do outrage.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 11:22:06

Jebus that was a good fast break. Loved the tense shot exactly on the corner of the goal. From a goalie's perspective, I don't think any human being could've defended that.

I still say Mex deserves to win this, getting struck on a counter-offensive when you're dominating the game is frustrating as all hell.

Translator, time traveller, aerospace engineer, and voodoo priest extraordinaire.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 11:28:09

At 6/10/10 08:17 PM, Sir-Nuts wrote:
At 6/10/10 03:28 PM, Auz wrote: I got only three exams, but they're spread over two weeks. Fortunately I won't have any exams when Holland has to play a match ^^
Hmm, I don't know if my exams will be during one of Brazil's games. If that happens, my school should do something about it...

Brazil vs. Portugal will be at 11:00am in here, and my classes are from 7:10 until 12:40. On that day, our classes will end at 10:00. ;)

Awesome :p

I'm pretty sure lots of people will have to do exams at my university when Holland has to play. But I'm among the lucky ones that will not :)

*Checks Youtube*

Lol :p He defended well I guess, but that was a pretty reckless move.
Defended well? He gave Drogba a flying kick, that's indeed a great defence! :P

And in here we all thought he did that on purpose, since he was born in Brazil and wanted to help us by kicking Drogba. THAT'S the spirit! :P

Well he headed the ball away from danger and happened to knock out Drogba along with it. Much better than letting him go past and do nothing. I mean, at least he's not a pussy defender :p

True. Although I gotta say there is not much criticism in Holland this time. I think most people here agreed with van Persie over Huntelaar and van Nistelrooy. There's been some debate about Kuyt or van der Vaart, but for the rest most people agreed with van Marwijk's picks and base eleven.
I agree as well, van Persie is doing way better than Huntelaar and Nistelrooy... well, I haven't heard about him lately, I don't even know where he is playing at. :P

Hamburger SV I think. I heard he's doing good there, but he is getting old you know.

And, squad-wise, I think Holland has one of the top three in the cup. Their powerful offence is something to be feared by all teams...

Definitely. Although I fear for teams with a very solid defense who look for the counter.

Ah yes, Zidane. Fantastic player. I think after he left, the French team went straight downhill. They haven't performed nearly as well without him as the captain.
Indeed, he was not only a great player, but a great leader in the field. I think he should go for the coaching career. He is different from the other players, he has a different game view. Maybe he could pass that along to more players.

I agree, I think he would make a very good coach. Even in the field he already managed to lift other players to a higher level when he was playing with them. I think very few players have that quality. On top of that he just seems like a natural leader to me, so I agree that he should definitely go for a coaching career.

What really? I think the ceremony is not even broadcasted here... =/
Not only it was nationally broadcast, but most of the Twitter's "trending topics" are about that. The top one, for example, is "SHUT UP, GALVAO!". Galvão Bueno is a long time narrator, and is infamous for some awful sentences and the "É TETRA! É TEEEEETRAAAAAAAAA!!!!!" yell, when we won the cup in 1994. :P

Haha really?

I like most Spanish/Portuguese narrators to be honest. I like how they always go: "GOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAL BRASIL!". Much more enthusiasm than their Dutch colleagues I can tell you ;)

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 11:30:25

The refs are for SA to win the game that's why they disallowed the goal by Mexico.

Well we were dumb enough to think it was gonna happen.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 11:32:33

At 6/11/10 11:30 AM, ToddM wrote: The refs are for SA to win the game that's why they disallowed the goal by Mexico.

The reason the first goal was disallowed was because of offside. Read up on the offside rule then cry more

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 11:37:56

At 6/11/10 11:32 AM, mad-spyke wrote:
The reason the first goal was disallowed was because of offside. Read up on the offside rule then cry more

I know that.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 11:38:39

Very nice goal by South Africa.

It has been an alright match so far. I remember former EC and WC opening matches were more boring than this one. I think South Africa can keep this up until the final whistle and if they do Mexico is definitely in trouble. They got two tough matches up ahead and they gotta win both if they wanna make it to the next round.

At 6/11/10 11:30 AM, ToddM wrote: The refs are for SA to win the game that's why they disallowed the goal by Mexico.

That looked like a penalty to me though ;)

Also is it really offside when a player gets the ball when he is between the goalie and some defender standing on the line? That's new to me... =/

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 11:38:51

At 6/11/10 11:32 AM, mad-spyke wrote:

There was a SAf defender standing on the goal line, making any offside impossible.

Let's not forget FIFA is about as corrupt as any group of human beings can get. France had a little hand getting into this WC, we all know that. France hosts the Euro, they win after many controversial reffing decisions. France hosts the WC, they win. Korea and Japan host a WC, Japan jump all the way to #12 in the international rankings and almost win, again with a shitload of reffing bullshit decisions. Not to cry before the milk's even been spilled, but i have zero faith in the integrity of FIFA.

Right now SAf is playing on counter-attacks while Mex is still dominating.

Translator, time traveller, aerospace engineer, and voodoo priest extraordinaire.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 11:40:11

I'm calling that goal of the tournament so far

btw mexico just scored as i was writing that to make it less redundant. lol.

ad

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 11:40:16

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

VAMOS MEXICO!!!

Need help on beating Alkie Kong 2, brutal mode? click here.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 11:40:20

omg 1 : 1

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 11:40:53

At 6/11/10 10:27 AM, Auz wrote: Anyway, I'm betting for a draw in the first match. I think both Mexico and South Africa are gonna be a little too careful and do not wanna go all out yet. 0-0 or 1-1 maybe.

It's looking like your prediction was spot on, unless there's another sneaky goal in the last ten or so minutes.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 11:41:28

At 6/11/10 11:38 AM, Auz wrote: Also is it really offside when a player gets the ball when he is between the goalie and some defender standing on the line? That's new to me... =/

Ah shit, that is true, my bad then. Receiving a pass when you're standing behind the goalie is an offside.

Still, everything i said about FIFA stands.

And Mex just scored, brings a bit more justice into how the match is actually going.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 11:51:04

DAAAAM

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 11:57:07

Well that was pretty exciting as far as openers go.
Great chance to win it with that last shot at the post, sucks to have a completely blind left foot and having no other options except to shoot with it.
Mexico did dominate this, but SAf had a lot of speed going for them on the counters, so i guess 1-1 is pretty fair.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 12:09:09

Mphela had the worst luck in his last shot.
i was wrong about South Africa; they CAN be tough. but those were really nice goals.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 12:12:49

Bloody hell what a game. I was rooting for SA, would have loved to see them take that. Even though Mexico dominated most possession, I think SA were much better on the ball.

Also the Mexican keeper is totally the hispanic Barthez.

GT - LedgeyNG, Steam - Ledgey91, PSN - LedgeyNG

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 12:25:57

At 6/11/10 10:27 AM, Auz wrote: I do hope the crowd is gonna stop blowing their horns soon.

Nope, it was a constant "PWAAAAAAAAAAAAP" 90 minutes long. We have been warned that those Vuvuzelas belong to the south african fan culture, but I didn't imagine it was THAT annoying.

Hopefully the other games are better...

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 12:30:03

I'm confused now. So was it a tie game or what? This World Cup is confusing.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 12:31:19

At 6/11/10 12:30 PM, TehSlapHappy wrote: I'm confused now. So was it a tie game or what? This World Cup is confusing.

it's a tie, both teams scored one goal; they're even and thus a tie.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 12:36:25

At 6/11/10 12:31 PM, DarkSytze wrote:
At 6/11/10 12:30 PM, TehSlapHappy wrote: I'm confused now. So was it a tie game or what? This World Cup is confusing.
it's a tie, both teams scored one goal; they're even and thus a tie.

Lol, I know it's a tie, but these games and such. Nevermind, I'll go look it up.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 12:39:31

At 6/11/10 12:36 PM, TehSlapHappy wrote: Lol, I know it's a tie, but these games and such. Nevermind, I'll go look it up.

it doesn't matter, i don't get american football in exchange. :(

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 12:52:26

This was my first ever World Cup, and I have to say, it was quite exciting, I'll definitely be keeping up with it.

"Jayne, your mouth's talking. Might want to see to that." /Ask Me Shit\

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 12:55:09

At 6/11/10 12:52 PM, TheBigLemon wrote: This was my first ever World Cup, and I have to say, it was quite exciting, I'll definitely be keeping up with it.

Same here.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 13:32:16

Heh, it's only american sports where games can't end with a tie. :P

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 13:38:43

Ha!
My school just changed the schedule for monday, so that everyone can watch us play against Denmark.
Woohoo!

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 13:46:18

I only watched the second half of South Africa - Mexico. S. Africa missed several good opportunities. My classmates and I decided not to go to class, and instead we watched the second half in the canteen, eating French fries and playing Truco. It was pretty cool. I can't wait for Uruguay vs France!

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 14:22:58

France vs Uruguay is gonna be interesting. I'm curious about how well France is gonna do.

At 6/11/10 11:40 AM, GodsBitch wrote:
At 6/11/10 10:27 AM, Auz wrote: Anyway, I'm betting for a draw in the first match. I think both Mexico and South Africa are gonna be a little too careful and do not wanna go all out yet. 0-0 or 1-1 maybe.
It's looking like your prediction was spot on, unless there's another sneaky goal in the last ten or so minutes.

Guess it was, although I expected it to be a little less exciting :)

At 6/11/10 11:41 AM, C-Hawk wrote:
At 6/11/10 11:38 AM, Auz wrote: Also is it really offside when a player gets the ball when he is between the goalie and some defender standing on the line? That's new to me... =/
Ah shit, that is true, my bad then. Receiving a pass when you're standing behind the goalie is an offside.

I've played football for thirteen years and was yet unaware of that rule =/

At 6/11/10 12:25 PM, Haggard wrote:
At 6/11/10 10:27 AM, Auz wrote: I do hope the crowd is gonna stop blowing their horns soon.
Nope, it was a constant "PWAAAAAAAAAAAAP" 90 minutes long. We have been warned that those Vuvuzelas belong to the south african fan culture, but I didn't imagine it was THAT annoying.

Hopefully the other games are better...

I hope so too, but it looks like the stadium of Uruguay vs France is also filled with those vuvuzela-blowers >=(

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 14:39:39

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-11 14:42:38

At 6/11/10 02:39 PM, C-Hawk wrote: ITT: Franck Ribéry is Wade plus burn wounds.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co mmons/c/ca/Franck_Rib%C3%A9ry_Bayern_2.j pg

With a huge scar on the side of his face and fucked up teeth.

BBS Signature