00:00
00:00

2010 Fifa World Cup Thread

104,093 Views | 3,064 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 15:37:33

At 6/24/10 03:22 PM, HeavyTank wrote:
Do you seriously think that Italy would've done better if the whole team was composed of young inexperienced players?

A whole lot of players with plenty of experience were available. Some of the guys that played at the European Cup, some guys that weren't called back then but have been playing in the Serie A and Champions cup for years.

After seeing what Camoranesi, Iaquinta and those other dicks did...god. Why not call Toni? Cassetti? Perrotta? Cassano? Totti? Even Balotelli, for gawd's sake?

No one is more pissed at how poorly people like Criscito, Marchetti and Montolivo did. The young, witless morons that should never have been called.

Unfortunately, as I said: (A) Lippi just calls people who make a good impression on him at some point, and (B) the team HAS to bring on young players at some point, and train them...unfortunately, that task has fallen to him, and his inevitable successor.

Pure awesomeness. You must read it.

(God-like signature by Zeppekk)

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 15:39:45

At 6/24/10 02:32 PM, Auz wrote: Uruguay, Argentina and...? Or are you counting the USA as South-American too? :P

I know my geography skills are bad, but not that bad. Ha!

But yeah I get what you mean. The South-Americans are doing good, but they usually do. They are one of the biggest football continents along with Europe after all.

Yeah I know, but I'm a little surprised at the dominance this year. Not easy to field that many teams and have them not lose one game. Though I think Chile might lose to Spain tomorrow.

At 6/24/10 03:15 PM, sixflab wrote: If you count world cup updates online then yes. I lack any sort of decent television channels at the moment. I have a completely basic cable package but I don't mind since I pay about $10 dollars for it.

So not even ESPN and ESPN 2? You might need to get a new provider if that's the case. O.o

Anyways, a pretty good game so far with the Japs and Denmark. Let's see if the Danes have some fight left otherwise:

"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark."

Hamlet :P

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 15:45:42

At 6/24/10 03:37 PM, LinkSilvermane wrote: A whole lot of players with plenty of experience were available. Some of the guys that played at the European Cup, some guys that weren't called back then but have been playing in the Serie A and Champions cup for years.

Of course, I'm talking about experience as a national team...making it to the Italian team is no easy task, and they certainly don't pick random players..

After seeing what Camoranesi, Iaquinta and those other dicks did...god. Why not call Toni? Cassetti? Perrotta? Cassano? Totti? Even Balotelli, for gawd's sake?

I DON'T KNOW D:
Ask Lippi...

No one is more pissed at how poorly people like Criscito, Marchetti and Montolivo did. The young, witless morons that should never have been called.

Yup.

Unfortunately, as I said: (A) Lippi just calls people who make a good impression on him at some point, and (B) the team HAS to bring on young players at some point, and train them...unfortunately, that task has fallen to him, and his inevitable successor.

Well, then my only hope is that this is just a transition period where old players start leaving and new players start coming, and that in a few years Italy will be back in shape..as for point A, well, isn't that how it works?
I mean, if they don't make a good impression on him, why should he call them?

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 15:51:33

At 6/24/10 03:45 PM, HeavyTank wrote:
I mean, if they don't make a good impression on him, why should he call them?

Sorry, my English is apparently still at an 8th-grade level, since I've been living in Italy for more than half my life now...

...what I meant was: if you don't rub him the right way, he wants NOTHING to do with you.

Cassano, prime example. Panucci as well, a guy who sure as hell should've been called back in 2006, and even in 2008.

Whereas even if you're an obvious failure as a player, or simply too old to play at an international level, but you somehow got in his good graces...he'll stick you on the bench for LIFE. Like Cannavaro, Camoranesi, and the rest of the old goats that barely played this past year in Serie A but were somehow called in the blink of an eye onto the NATIONAL team.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 15:55:32

At 6/24/10 03:29 PM, Auz wrote: If they win this match with 1-0 I can't complain about their performance in the group stage. I mean 9 points without any goals against is the best result any team has had in this WC thus far.

Spoke just a little too soon :P

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 15:57:44

I really should switch my provider. I had mediacom which is an ok broadcast company in the United States but a couple of months ago it was bought out in the area I live in by a local company. Now it's some broadband crap. They have a basic package which I have now and it is dirt cheap and since I don't tend to watch much television i'm fine with that. It has local plus some infomercial channels. The only other option they have is to pay for 100+ channels which I would only watch a few of anyways. I don't see the point in paying over fifty dollars a month for a couple of channels that I would want. In the US soccer isn't all that important so they only show the later knockout rounds on the local channels. Right now the round robin stage is only on espn and espn 2.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 15:57:44

At 6/24/10 03:51 PM, LinkSilvermane wrote:
...what I meant was: if you don't rub him the right way, he wants NOTHING to do with you.

I dunno...the 2006 team seemed pretty balanced to me..did all the players there rub him the right way?

Whereas even if you're an obvious failure as a player, or simply too old to play at an international level, but you somehow got in his good graces...he'll stick you on the bench for LIFE. Like Cannavaro, Camoranesi, and the rest of the old goats that barely played this past year in Serie A but were somehow called in the blink of an eye onto the NATIONAL team.

That's just national pride and nostalgia..you can't just kick the captain of the team that won the world cup, all the fans would be raging at him...even if he made the right call.
For example, if Zidane was still playing (thank god that he decided to retire when the time was right) he would probably be out of shape, but Domenech would've still included him in the French team..

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 16:06:30

At 6/24/10 03:57 PM, HeavyTank wrote:

I dunno...the 2006 team seemed pretty balanced to me..did all the players there rub him the right way?

Of course not. I'm focusing on some specific, key players that could have made a real contribution to the team, both as single players and as teammates/leaders, not the entire team that was called and all of the Italian players that weren't.

That's just national pride and nostalgia..you can't just kick the captain of the team that won the world cup, all the fans would be raging at him...even if he made the right call.

There's a fine line between kicking Cannavaro off the team and placing Iaquinta as foremost player and main goalscorer, though.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 16:09:54

At 6/24/10 04:06 PM, LinkSilvermane wrote:
Of course not. I'm focusing on some specific, key players that could have made a real contribution to the team

I see

There's a fine line between kicking Cannavaro off the team and placing Iaquinta as foremost player and main goalscorer, though.

Hmm, agreed.
Also, wow....2-1 now.
The scorer didn't look too happy though.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 16:13:57

YES!!!!

Holland scored their second goal! At least we're still getting the perfect 9 points now. If it stays this way that is.

At 6/24/10 03:36 PM, Scarab wrote:
If they win this match with 1-0 I can't complain about their performance in the group stage. I mean 9 points without any goals against is the best result any team has had in this WC thus far. Only Chile can also still pull that off.
While I don't think I've seen the best of the Dutch side so far, I'm sure I'll have good cause to sing your lot's praises in the second round.

Also, Sorensen also just nearly did a Green. Ugh, it was nasty! Another good free kick for Japan!

No we can do a lot better than this, but I'm thinking maybe Holland tries to lay low for now to prevent being bombed the #1 favorites like we were after the group stage in 2008. Hopefully we will play at our best in the next rounds.

I heard Denmark just scored by the way. So that's one. Only two more to go :p

At 6/24/10 03:39 PM, reverend wrote:
At 6/24/10 02:32 PM, Auz wrote: Uruguay, Argentina and...? Or are you counting the USA as South-American too? :P
I know my geography skills are bad, but not that bad. Ha!

My mistake XD

But yeah I get what you mean. The South-Americans are doing good, but they usually do. They are one of the biggest football continents along with Europe after all.
Yeah I know, but I'm a little surprised at the dominance this year. Not easy to field that many teams and have them not lose one game. Though I think Chile might lose to Spain tomorrow.

They haven't lost any?...

Hey you are right. That is pretty impressive. I can see Uruguay getting all the way to the semi's too, now that they'll face either the USA or Ghana in the quarter finals.

At 6/24/10 03:55 PM, Ship wrote:
At 6/24/10 03:29 PM, Auz wrote: If they win this match with 1-0 I can't complain about their performance in the group stage. I mean 9 points without any goals against is the best result any team has had in this WC thus far.
Spoke just a little too soon :P

Yeah :(

Can't argue with that penalty. It was clearly a hand ball. Stupid van der Vaart, you could've easily headed it away. No need to stick your arm out like that >=(

At 6/24/10 03:57 PM, sixflab wrote: I really should switch my provider. I had mediacom which is an ok broadcast company in the United States but a couple of months ago it was bought out in the area I live in by a local company. Now it's some broadband crap. They have a basic package which I have now and it is dirt cheap and since I don't tend to watch much television i'm fine with that. It has local plus some infomercial channels. The only other option they have is to pay for 100+ channels which I would only watch a few of anyways. I don't see the point in paying over fifty dollars a month for a couple of channels that I would want. In the US soccer isn't all that important so they only show the later knockout rounds on the local channels. Right now the round robin stage is only on espn and espn 2.

I see. I assume with local channels you mean something like: channels of the state you live in? :p

Anyway you can still watch on the internet with livestream. I think that only works well with a good internet connection though.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 16:15:41

3-1!

Third goal showed some great technical play. Honda's had a fantastic game, his role in the third goal sums it up. It's not over yet, but Japan have had a great game on all sides. Definitely deserved.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 16:16:05

Anybody know who the Japanese woman they keep pointing the camera to in the Japan game is?

hello

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 16:25:33

He does not approve.
Both matches were really good though.
I can't wait to watch Brazil-Portugal tomorrow...

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 16:26:34

Damn Holland lost it's verginity to Kameroen 0_o
a well atleast we still won 2-1

The match sucked monkey's ass though.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 16:34:08

At 6/24/10 04:26 PM, Hoekzema wrote: The match sucked monkey's ass though.

I didn't think it was that bad. Not any worse than the matches against Denmark and Japan at least.

Surely Holland hasn't played as well yet as they have done before the WC, but with a perfect 9 points and only 1 goal against I don't think we should complain. There are a lot of countries out there that would have wished they had such results in the group phase ;)

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 17:01:40

At 6/24/10 04:34 PM, Auz wrote:
At 6/24/10 04:26 PM, Hoekzema wrote: The match sucked monkey's ass though.
I didn't think it was that bad. Not any worse than the matches against Denmark and Japan at least.

Surely Holland hasn't played as well yet as they have done before the WC, but with a perfect 9 points and only 1 goal against I don't think we should complain. There are a lot of countries out there that would have wished they had such results in the group phase ;)

*cough* England *cough

For a while I didn't think they were going to make it to the knockout phase.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 18:30:32

At 6/24/10 04:25 PM, HeavyTank wrote: He does not approve.
Both matches were really good though.
I can't wait to watch Brazil-Portugal tomorrow...

meaningless game that'll probably be a draw. spain/chile where it's at obv

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 18:54:43

I just hope Chile wins tomorrow

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 19:12:44

At 6/24/10 06:30 PM, jonthomson wrote: meaningless game that'll probably be a draw. spain/chile where it's at obv

No chance in hell this is going to be a draw...and Spain/Chile..well, it might be interesting, but it might also be pretty one-sided...nevertheless I'm gonna watch them both, so..

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 19:46:49

So what's your feelings about the upcoming Germany vs. England

2-1 England.

This is my stuff.

Sig by ParadoxVoid. He's awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 19:49:49

At 6/24/10 06:54 PM, carlitozsx56686 wrote: I just hope Chile wins tomorrow

We all do, buddy.

Signature.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 19:51:21

At 6/24/10 07:46 PM, qazuni wrote: So what's your feelings about the upcoming Germany vs. England

2-1 England.

Yeah no kidding, I bet all of England flipped shit when lando scored that goal.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 20:12:46

i ordered a pizza 'slowakia' at my local pizzeria, they told me they were going to spit on my orders for the next 4 years

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 20:57:00

At 6/24/10 07:51 PM, stuy88 wrote: Yeah no kidding, I bet all of England flipped shit when lando scored that goal.

We finished our game at the same time so yeah we were flipping shit but for an unrelated reason

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 21:59:51

flipping lol

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 22:04:34

haven't had laptop for couple days so kinda behind on posting

If they gave out world cup trophies for resilience and determination, the United States would take this year's hands down. Looking forward to the rematch with Ghana.

Germany somehow took top place in their group after that debacle with Serbia. Really looking forward to Sunday's game against England.

Congrats to Italy on sucking ass. From world champs to last in their group, great work guys, I'll bet it took more effort to be bottom of your group than it would have to take top place.

///\(^-^)/HESTIA DANCE\(^-^)////--\\\Dancing Psyduck Dauntly Reaching\\\

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-24 23:06:13

INGERLAND INGERLAND INGERLAND

also lol italy

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-25 02:39:23

At 6/24/10 10:04 PM, Onepiece285 wrote: Congrats to Italy on sucking ass. From world champs to last in their group, great work guys, I'll bet it took more effort to be bottom of your group than it would have to take top place.

Well, at least they wheren't as bad as France in 2002, when France was World Champion.
But I guess that's only cold comfort, lol.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-25 03:12:27

At 6/24/10 10:04 PM, Onepiece285 wrote:

Congrats to Italy on sucking ass. From world champs to last in their group, great work guys, I'll bet it took more effort to be bottom of your group than it would have to take top place.

Ouch. Somebody's still smarting from 2006.

I'd say "good luck" but...hey, you saw the last few games, and the game against England. You're getting as much luck as you CAN get.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-25 04:50:45

At 6/24/10 07:12 PM, HeavyTank wrote:
At 6/24/10 06:30 PM, jonthomson wrote: meaningless game that'll probably be a draw. spain/chile where it's at obv
No chance in hell this is going to be a draw

both teams perfectly happy with a point yo

and Spain/Chile..well, it might be interesting, but it might also be pretty one-sided

oh god no. laying spain to qualify at 1.35, value imo