00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NisoXD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Icon Mod Crew

283,299 Views | 3,351 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-12 14:47:46

At 8/12/10 01:22 PM, EJR wrote: but yeah, instead of talking about this gold aura nonsense (which really wasn't that great in the first place lul) let's talk about ICONS and OTHER THINGS RELATED ONLY TO ICONS.

THIS ^
I was just about to tell you guys to stop talking about the golden auras. It's really starting to piss me off a lot talking about that. As I already stated in my FAQ about icon moderation, we'll never get that aura so please get over with it.

REDESIGN YEAH

I can't think a better layout than this, in my opinion. Anybody of you guys know how will look the new newgrounds layout?

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-12 15:10:36

If you want more discussions about icons, you've got it since I've got a few things to say:

1. I don't think anyone has expressed their thoughts on this before but I HATE screenshots I take that have gradients on them. When saving it to GIF, the gradients look horrible so I resort to saving them as JPG files.

2. Am I silly for making individual icons for the spammiest flashes found in the Clock Day pages? By that, I mean those that are nothing but a letter B with a few alterations. Yeah, they all get individual icons from me rather than just a default icon showing the letter B.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-12 15:15:31

At 8/12/10 01:36 AM, ThePigeonMaster wrote: Also, a special mention to dx5231 since I think he made most of the icons.

I think Boss made most of them, since I only made 139 of his icons.

And yeah, enough aura talking for now.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-12 15:19:07

At 8/12/10 03:10 PM, Bahamut wrote: 1. I don't think anyone has expressed their thoughts on this before but I HATE screenshots I take that have gradients on them. When saving it to GIF, the gradients look horrible so I resort to saving them as JPG files.

You can submit icons as png files. All of the icons I've done have been png. png is basically a better version of gif, minus animation.

it's my FAAAAVOURITE file format.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-12 15:32:53

At 8/12/10 03:10 PM, Bahamut wrote: 1. I don't think anyone has expressed their thoughts on this before but I HATE screenshots I take that have gradients on them. When saving it to GIF, the gradients look horrible so I resort to saving them as JPG files.

I always export my icons as GIFs. Photoshop makes them awesome like if they were JPG files. I guess it's depending the software you're using.

2. Am I silly for making individual icons for the spammiest flashes found in the Clock Day pages? By that, I mean those that are nothing but a letter B with a few alterations. Yeah, they all get individual icons from me rather than just a default icon showing the letter B.

lol, ask Tom to not delete those flashes or else you will be screwed :P
That's why I avoid making icons for crew flashes.

At 8/12/10 03:15 PM, dx5231 wrote: I think Boss made most of them, since I only made 139 of his icons.

MATH TIME:

I made:................59
You made:........139 +
Donut made:........4
........................-----------

Bahamut said Afro_Stud has 349 flashes so:

Total of flash: ........................................
....... 349
Total of icons you, Donut and I created: ..202 -
.............................-----------
-
..................................147 icons Boss made :)

Yeah, most of the credit goes to Boss :)

I wish my math calculations don't screw up after I post them.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-12 15:36:34

Damn, I just hate when a post skips lines after writing a certain amount of the same characters.
My awesome math calculations screwed up so ugly :(

Oh well, what it matters is that Boss was our hero.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-12 16:44:52

At 8/12/10 03:36 PM, ThePigeonMaster wrote: Oh well, what it matters is that Boss was our hero.

According to that, I was really close to becoming an ultimate hero.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-12 17:06:35

HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead. HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead. HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead. HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead. HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead.

etc

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-12 20:14:34

At 8/12/10 01:36 AM, ThePigeonMaster wrote: Today is an historical day for the icon moderation team. I finally made the rest of the icons that belonged to AfroUnderscoreStud :)

*Applause*

At 8/12/10 03:10 PM, Bahamut wrote: If you want more discussions about icons, you've got it since I've got a few things to say:

1. I don't think anyone has expressed their thoughts on this before but I HATE screenshots I take that have gradients on them. When saving it to GIF, the gradients look horrible so I resort to saving them as JPG files.

Yeah that's what I always do. I first make it as a gif and if it has the gradients messed up, I switch to jpeg.

At 8/12/10 03:19 PM, thenewbies wrote: You can submit icons as png files. All of the icons I've done have been png. png is basically a better version of gif, minus animation.

Except for the fact that the file size is huge for png. Large file size means slower page loads. I would really switch to .gif since you can get a good image around 7-10kb.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-12 20:42:10

At 8/12/10 08:14 PM, reverend wrote:
At 8/12/10 03:19 PM, thenewbies wrote: You can submit icons as png files. All of the icons I've done have been png. png is basically a better version of gif, minus animation.
Except for the fact that the file size is huge for png. Large file size means slower page loads. I would really switch to .gif since you can get a good image around 7-10kb.

Actually, saving illustrations and simple images as jpg can increase the file size and degrade the quality. Saving photos in gif will also increase the size and also degrade the quality. When you have a photo saved as jpg or illustration saved as gif, the file sizes are both small and have decent quality. Some things about losslessness and stuff, things citricsquid could probably explain better than me.

png was made for simple images like most of what you see in flashes here. gif was also made for illustrations and it was intended for png to be a "replacement" for gif. png can display all colours, while gif can only have 256.

So when you have a gradient, but it's an illustration, png would probably be the best to go with.

Plus, it's probably only a few kilobytes added. If you even managed to visit Newgrounds, your internet connection is probably strong enough to handle an extra 500kb or so from all the larger icons.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-12 21:29:57

Far as I can tell using the images I made in Fireworks, the difference between a PNG and Gif are too minuscule to tell at the dimensions we are using however the file size is a 72KB difference.

Sure my connection can handle that difference no problem, but when we are talking about that difference multiplied by hundreds of thousands of user each day, that difference really adds up in wasted bandwidth.

72KB x 250,000 users = 18,000,000KB which is 14.3GB.

Of course this is a worst case scenario by having every user who comes here viewing that icon, but the littlest things do add up. ;)

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-12 22:25:23

At 8/12/10 09:55 PM, Rabid-Animals wrote:
At 8/12/10 09:29 PM, reverend wrote: Far as I can tell using the images I made in Fireworks, the difference between a PNG and Gif are too minuscule to tell at the dimensions we are using however the file size is a 72KB difference.
I took the PNG and saved it in Photoshop with the Save for Web feature. I set the colors to 128, and I blame the barely noticeable artifacts on resaving the file.

Here's the result. It clocks in at a whopping 6.6 KB.

And that is my point. My screenshot software auto-optimizes, it seems. It's like having an artist's palette with 50 different colours when you intend on painting a black and white picture. Waste of space.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-12 23:14:37

At 8/12/10 09:55 PM, Rabid-Animals wrote: Here's the result. It clocks in at a whopping 6.6 KB.

Eh, you exported it as a jpeg there sparky. :P

But I get what you are trying to say. You probably using the PNG-8 128 Option on PS which is fine but I'm just saying why use that when you can have 256 color gif with virtually the same file size. As long as it's below 10KB and looks good, it's fine in my book.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-13 04:47:31

I'm uploading them in .png format too. My icons are about 6 kb and I'm just using MS Paint, so... doesn't any program have "auto-optimizing" then?

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-13 06:27:38

I tend to use Photoshop's "Save for Web and Devices..." option. I save as PNG, trying to find the lowest number of colors needed for the icon to look good. 128 and 256 work most of the time for these icons.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-13 09:00:29

At 8/12/10 03:19 PM, thenewbies wrote:
You can submit icons as png files. All of the icons I've done have been png. png is basically a better version of gif, minus animation.

I gave PNG a try later on and the gradient issues still occur to me. Well, it's not bad when it's on higher quality but then the filesize becomes too big. Ah well, I'll just stick to JPG which is good enough.

At 8/12/10 03:32 PM, ThePigeonMaster wrote:
At 8/12/10 03:10 PM, Bahamut wrote: 2. Am I silly for making individual icons for the spammiest flashes found in the Clock Day pages? By that, I mean those that are nothing but a letter B with a few alterations. Yeah, they all get individual icons from me rather than just a default icon showing the letter B.
lol, ask Tom to not delete those flashes or else you will be screwed :P
That's why I avoid making icons for crew flashes.

I don't have much to worry about since these are in the Clock Day pages and the only flashes that will be removed are those that violate portal guidelines yet slipped through the crack and those that request to have their flashes/account deleted. I've seen two flashes in the Clock Day pages that break the portal guidelines and I decided to not make icons for them at all since I got them handed over to Wade and were deleted. Well, the one I reported did go down in flames.

At 8/12/10 05:06 PM, thenewbies wrote: HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead. HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead. HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead. HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead. HeadOn, apply directly to the forehead.

At least you don't have Go Compare. :P

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-13 09:18:34

At 8/12/10 12:52 PM, EJR wrote: Current icon mods that signed up for the golden aura and disappeared once we lost them:
trevorW
Ashman

This is also referring to the message that you went me. Just because someone doesn't post or comment about their icon making doesn't mean that they aren't doing it. For example, I make anywhere from 5 to 10 icons a day. I know it's not a lot, but I found it odd that you would message me and tell me that I wasn't active awhile back there.

Some of us like to stay "undercover" and do our work with little to no reward or praise from other users. That's me for sure so that's why I've just been quiet about icon modding.

Also, all of my icons are under 7kb, they are suppose to be right? At least that's what I was told.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-13 09:31:36

At 8/13/10 09:18 AM, Fro wrote: This is also referring to the message that you went me. Just because someone doesn't post or comment about their icon making doesn't mean that they aren't doing it.

This is what I've always thought about the quieter icon mods. For all we know, they could be making 50 icons a day but if they hardly communicate with the icon mod team, it can be hard to tell if they're active or not. I'll just that to the admins since they obviously know more about their activities.

Also, all of my icons are under 7kb, they are suppose to be right? At least that's what I was told.

That's right, the limit (or recommended limit) is 7kb.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-13 09:43:58

Well, I'll be leaving on vacation soon. No icons for a few weeks. I am ashamed because I'm going be missing both Clock Day and Pimp's ascension to Level 60, both of which are important events. And who knows, maybe the redesign will happen while I'm gone, just to add to the list of things I'll miss.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-13 13:36:42

At 8/13/10 09:43 AM, Archawn wrote: And who knows, maybe the redesign will happen while I'm gone, just to add to the list of things I'll miss.

I REALLY doubt the redesign will be here in some weeks. There are still a lot of icons to do, and I'm talking more than 100,000.

By the way, if you say you will be gone for some weeks, I guess we need another moderator (but not to take your place) to keep doing icons in a decent rate.

That's all for now, I'm gonna make some icons.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-13 22:10:51

Later this year? I think we can manage another 100k in 3-4 months.

We just need a few more icon mods on board.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-14 05:45:02

At 8/13/10 09:43 AM, Archawn wrote: Well, I'll be leaving on vacation soon. No icons for a few weeks. I am ashamed because I'm going be missing both Clock Day and Pimp's ascension to Level 60, both of which are important events. And who knows, maybe the redesign will happen while I'm gone, just to add to the list of things I'll miss.

If that happens, you will know how I felt when the 2007 redesign was launched while I was away in Cuba. :P

At 8/13/10 10:10 PM, DumbassDude wrote: We just need a few more icon mods on board.

Like I said a while ago, I asked around 15 people if they were interested in becoming an icon mod. I know a few who have applied to become an icon mod but have yet to hear back from Tom. One of them sent his application a few weeks ago and never heard back. :(

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-14 12:47:21

At 8/14/10 05:45 AM, Bahamut wrote: Like I said a while ago, I asked around 15 people if they were interested in becoming an icon mod. I know a few who have applied to become an icon mod but have yet to hear back from Tom. One of them sent his application a few weeks ago and never heard back. :(

I thought he replies saying why you can't be an icon mod but I guess not. Im pretty lucky about becoming an icon mod since I found out all of the users who tried to become icon mods but didn't get to.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-14 15:03:38

If Tom didn't even reply for that long, I must be really lucky. I was modded a few days after I asked.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-14 15:40:32

I am still working on the D's five or ten a day. If not more, but Im trying my best.

Also, random question for all of you icon mods. Whats good music to listen to while making this icons? Just a pondering thought that occurred to my head.

Why you reading this?

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-14 15:54:56

I don't listen to music, since I want to watch the movie or play the game I'm making icons for, so I have a better idea of what to make an icon of. I never listen to music on my computer anyway.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-14 17:00:50

Users who fake their flash's score now enrage me greatly.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-14 17:07:22

At 8/14/10 03:03 PM, thenewbies wrote: If Tom didn't even reply for that long, I must be really lucky. I was modded a few days after I asked.

Actually, one of the guys who applied for icon mod heard back and was given a reason why they didn't take him on board. Now to see if the other one gets in.

At 8/14/10 03:40 PM, Goonie wrote: Also, random question for all of you icon mods. Whats good music to listen to while making this icons? Just a pondering thought that occurred to my head.

None because I work on the icons rather quickly and moving onto the next flash very shortly. However, if I'm to take any breaks in between, I just go with whatever's on my playlist at the time.

At 8/14/10 05:00 PM, thenewbies wrote: Users who fake their flash's score now enrage me greatly.

At least you're not the one who's going through all the Clock Day pages. The top scoring "flash" for 2006 is just another B rip-off:

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-14 18:25:49

At 8/14/10 05:07 PM, Bahamut wrote: At least you're not the one who's going through all the Clock Day pages. The top scoring "flash" for 2006 is just another B rip-off:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/33 2026

That's what Clock Day is all about.
With the occasional quality flash.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-14 21:04:30

At 8/14/10 12:47 PM, Domo wrote: I thought he replies saying why you can't be an icon mod but I guess not. Im pretty lucky about becoming an icon mod since I found out all of the users who tried to become icon mods but didn't get to.

I guess the admins think there are a lot of moderators right now. But if they change their minds, I think they're gonna mod the users who PM Tom, asking for icon modship.
I guess those users are in the "Potential list" if the admins want to give modship to more users. After all, I got modded 4 days after I sent him my PM.

BBS Signature