00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

0llybros just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How Did You Learn To Make Music?

3,352 Views | 41 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to How Did You Learn To Make Music? 2010-06-11 02:10:17

I was enrolled in music when I was 4 when I played a medley consisting of classical artists on the harmonica.
First I learned beginner piano through a teacher. She was a really shitty teacher, so my parents fired her. I continued to teach myself piano from there. I was about 6 when this happened.
At 7, I was enrolled in Bagpipes, started off with practice chanter, not long after moved onto bagpipes, and at 11 I was in the competition band.
At 11 I also took up the Euphonium in school band and got really good at pretty fast, when we were learning simple songs, I would try and make it more difficult for myself by learning the harmonies to it rather than what was put on the paper. The teacher would yell at me for doing so.
At 13 I took up the guitar, took 3 months of lessons, then started learning on my own. Needless to say I caught on quick.
I learned basic drum beats by ear at 14, and I found that this is the instrument that's hardest to learn for me, especially in the genre I prefer to play.
At 15, I took up the violin, I know how to play, but I would prefer to play a cello instead if I could ever get my hands on one.
I started learning theory around the same time I started learning piano, but I didn't get serious about the theory until early last year.
I also enjoy experimenting with any other instruments I can get my hands on.
Music has been with me all my life, and I couldn't think of anything else I would enjoy but music!

Response to How Did You Learn To Make Music? 2010-06-11 02:17:21

good artist? ha surely you jest. no, i took up guitar after hearing rodriguo Y gabriela do a cover of metallicas "one" on the radio

Response to How Did You Learn To Make Music? 2010-06-11 18:41:17

Classical piano lessons, and general theory/harmony/counterpoint lessons, and huge amounts of time listening to the old masters.

Response to How Did You Learn To Make Music? 2010-06-12 01:20:13

I learned by listening to My Chemical Romance. Yes, they are the definition of emo, and yes, I would probably kill myself if I was forced to listen to them now. But I was 13 at the time, I knew little about music,, and I decided to play bass. After a year of that, I got bored(not that bass is boring, i just didn't like it much) and got my first guitar. Anf I have been happily playing it since :)

Response to How Did You Learn To Make Music? 2010-06-12 04:52:16

I started playing guitar two years ago. I got to a mediocre level of playing. Sooner or later I got introduced to Electronic music. I began to find practicing guitar a chore (I guess it just wasn't for me right?) I was really interested in that music though and getting bored of rock. Just a month ago I figured I better start teaching myself how to make all this cool music. The DAW I choose was FL Studio. I'm really liking it so far.

BBS Signature

Response to How Did You Learn To Make Music? 2010-06-12 05:38:30

Trial and error for 8 years so far. Inspired initially by hoping to be a composer for WWF.

Then it became WWE..

BBS Signature

Response to How Did You Learn To Make Music? 2010-06-12 05:40:06

I had an older friend introduce me to fruity loops when I was 13 or 14, tried mimicking his style for years but never could and mine always sounded shit in comparison meanwhile I was actually developing a lot melodically without realising it! 2008 i stopped producing random stuff and trying to copy him so moved to trance/electronic where there was a bit more structure and i could do other shit... 2010 april time stopped bothering with trance/ran out of ideas and then dubstep came into my life :D it was fairly easy to transfer the skills I learnt from trying to copy my mate and the build ups and use of sound effects learnt from trance into one genre! :) oh and a few handy tips on dubstep from such users as jazzman and eggzibit kinda gave me that final leap :D plus somewhere in the years i learnt how to do random improvisations on the piano...

Want a review lemme know! Collab, remix, tips, whatever, just get in touch.

BBS Signature

Response to How Did You Learn To Make Music? 2010-06-12 05:52:07

Started playing the guitar at 17. Played Castle Crashers at one of my friends house about a year ago, really like the music on there, so I did a search which lead me to this place.

The fact that anyone can upload music gave me a chance. Dusted my old Synth off and made a tune. Due to a slow computer and bad recording equipment I went a diffrent way, but only because I stumbled across FL Studio, basically means I now come up with tunes on my guitar and sometimes my keyboard and then translate them into FL Studio. Now I continue to make and upload mediocre music.

PS - This is not a success story and I am by no means good at what I do, but I enjoy it and I prefer the fact i'm not very popular, means I can upload anything regardless of quality.

Response to How Did You Learn To Make Music? 2010-06-12 09:38:13

Experiments. Failures. Ears.

Response to How Did You Learn To Make Music? 2010-06-12 09:39:01

I sell my music at the chirch and people buy it, fueling me to make more music for them to buy and give me money.

BBS Signature

Response to How Did You Learn To Make Music? 2010-06-12 11:48:37

At 6/12/10 09:39 AM, Trancik wrote: I sell my music at the chirch and people buy it, fueling me to make more music for them to buy and give me money.

Lol, this idea is genius and full proof.

Response to How Did You Learn To Make Music? 2010-06-12 20:53:58

At 6/12/10 11:48 AM, Nosferatu-of-Worms wrote:
At 6/12/10 09:39 AM, Trancik wrote: I sell my music at the chirch and people buy it, fueling me to make more music for them to buy and give me money.
Lol, this idea is genius and full proof.

Haha

Contact me if you would like reviews on your music! (or Collabs)

Join The Audio Portal for another place to post music

BBS Signature