00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Proximothegr81 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

3d Flash animations

552 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

3d Flash animations 2010-05-29 10:10:42

Alrighty then, Hi im completely new to Newrgrounds and have some questions about animation.

Right, iv been working with 3ds max for little over 7 years, and although i am highly proficient with all aspects of that program (and other 3d programs) I am completely useless with flash cs4.
I have the capability to render out all my animations from 3ds max to a swf format, and from tests i have made it seems that a 1000 frame render from Max at a resolution of 490x270 equals to 12.4 meg.

and if i import that swf into flash i can get it down to about 3.9 meg with decent quality.
and considering that the animation i am making will be anywhere from 6000 to 10,000 frames, i can see the size well exceeding the limit for Newgrounds.

so i wanna ask if anyone has tried to make a flash animation with 3ds max, and if so, how they did it and if an animation of my size is practicle.

thanks guys
the picture is two of the low low poly characters im using
left is the commander and right is a generic shock trooper (i'll proboly change the commander so he's more different then the shock trooper)

3d Flash animations

I'm like glass in a way, I'll tare you to shreds if I can't do my job.

BBS Signature

Response to 3d Flash animations 2010-05-29 10:23:34

Flash is completely 2d although can now simulate 3d movement with it so you can't really make a flash animation with a 3d program. Unless you can get the filesize to go under the filesize limit (perhaps by reducing the jpeg quality in the flash settings) then there's no way that you'll be able to submit it.
Newgrounds isn't really made for 3d animation at the moment though so your probably better of submitting your stuff at Vimeo or somewhere else.

don't be late | Collab101 | Australian Users List | Nayhan's actionScript examples > click

Response to 3d Flash animations 2010-05-29 12:44:18

Well, if you make something outstanding you can always send a PM to Tom Fulp and ask for higher limits. We ahve sertainly had a couple of well recived aniamtions that have used 3D before, Two I can name from the top of my head:

O.N.E.

DucktaleZ 3

I think O.N.E. got around the size problem by useing a toonshader and than converting the bitmaps to vector and smoothing it, reducing the size per frame alot.

Vegeta is based on a 3D character in DucktaleZ but if I remeber correctly the creator put the 3D character in the flash than traced over him, giving him a lighter vector version of vegeta. (This flash is hilarious and one of my all time favorites btw :P)

Anyway, good luck with your project!

Response to 3d Flash animations 2010-05-29 13:18:17

BBS Signature

Response to 3d Flash animations 2010-05-30 02:08:00

Thanks allot guys for the examples, they really helped, i can see clearly that the movie O.N.E was using the swift 3d vector shader plugin.
That's also the plugin i am using for my project. so i will continue making my animation and i should be able to work things out now that i have seen that is has been done before.

I'm like glass in a way, I'll tare you to shreds if I can't do my job.

BBS Signature