00:00
00:00

Malicious Ads...

23,852 Views | 211 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 14:34:11


At 3/19/04 11:59 AM, -Akula- wrote: 2. WTF happened to the portal top 50!(although it's ok already)

that happens from time to time, ive seen it so bad that the only thing that laoded looked like this < , but you just have to refresh it, and it will be ok.

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 14:45:04


I havnt had any trouble with this... Yet i just hope i dont.

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 14:58:49


Pop up blockers are the reason for all these new mailcious ads. If people never installed pop up blockers, or used browsers that blocked them, we whouldn't have all these problems. Even f'ing ISP include software to block pop ups. It should be ILLEGAL. It's like buying a TV that blocks TV commercials.

I run Ad-Aware and Ad-Watch (pay version). Ad-Watch stops all the malicious installers, but lets the clean pop ups through.


Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 15:02:15


At 3/19/04 02:58 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Pop up blockers are the reason for all these new mailcious ads. If people never installed pop up blockers, or used browsers that blocked them, we whouldn't have all these problems. Even f'ing ISP include software to block pop ups. It should be ILLEGAL. It's like buying a TV that blocks TV commercials.

I run Ad-Aware and Ad-Watch (pay version). Ad-Watch stops all the malicious installers, but lets the clean pop ups through.

well some popup blockers are good cuz if the parents doesn't wan t there kid to se porn popups witch are all over the web....


LSD!

BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 15:26:32


What are pop-ups?? By the way, if the one with the daisy is still on, I know that has spyware....

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 15:27:28


At 3/19/04 02:58 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Pop up blockers are the reason for all these new mailcious ads. If people never installed pop up blockers, or used browsers that blocked them, we whouldn't have all these problems.

How does that work?

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 15:43:05


At 3/19/04 11:37 AM, TomFulp wrote: I'm noticing that some malicious spyware and worse has been slipping through our third party ad code lately. Some of this code may even change your default homepage.

That's horrible!!!!

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 15:52:36


That sucks Tom, I haven't experienced any of that ad code myself, it could be because I have a pop up blocker, although I probably do need to check spyware again, but as for right now, I'm alright, I'm using an Emachine with Windows XP. Thought I'd point that out in case that would be helpful to you in any way. Hope the Alien Hominid work is going smoothly for you.


You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 16:13:11


My computer hasn't reacted to any of those codes. But Instead of learning stuff at skool I learn more things here. Well guess I got my reading in for the day.

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 16:21:56


Not good at all, every time I come here I get a browser hijack to an adaware removal utility, kinda ironic, but I got to get my fix of NG, as long as ad-aware dose it's job I will be back

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 16:22:53


http://www.outwar.com/page.php?x=2054812

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 16:34:16


you fukin homo dont write you ghetto wars code on here youll get banned you dumbass

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 16:35:44


I'm currently using Mozilla firefox, and the Zone Alarm Firewall, and havent even seen a pop up on NG for a long time.

Also for all you Explorer users, you should Download the Google Toolbar, which has pop-up blocking features, and a few other cool features.

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 16:53:11


At 3/19/04 02:58 PM, WadeFulp wrote:

:It should be ILLEGAL. It's like buying a TV that blocks TV commercials.


Like Tivo?:-D

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 16:54:42


At 3/19/04 02:58 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Pop up blockers are the reason for all these new mailcious ads. If people never installed pop up blockers, or used browsers that blocked them, we whouldn't have all these problems. Even f'ing ISP include software to block pop ups. It should be ILLEGAL. It's like buying a TV that blocks TV commercials.

I run Ad-Aware and Ad-Watch (pay version). Ad-Watch stops all the malicious installers, but lets the clean pop ups through.

What the hell kind of logic is that? Would you apply that analagy to pre-1950s Europe? The reason why Hitler tried to dominate Europe was because he simply couldn't do it legally, so thus the legal system is to blame?

Dude, i have nothing against NG - i love it, but for the love of god please don't stand up for pop-ups. Anyway, who actually clicks them? What purpose do they have - 99% of the time people close one as soon as it spawns, and net novices soon learn to use Alt+F4 if necessary.

There's my opinion, feel free to criticise (i get used to it...).

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 17:00:52


spyware doesnt effect macs(lucky us!)

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 17:05:22


At 3/19/04 11:37 AM, TomFulp wrote: Stuff about the pop up ads.

Heh, I think I might have just got one while typing this reply...it said URL connection failed or something.

Guess it didn't load right because my system's based on UNIX...I hope it didn't load right...

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 17:09:54


I haven't had problems with things like this in ages, with Norton Internet Security AdBlocker, Google Toolbar and a firewall. The curse of obtrusive banners and pop-ups is only a fleeting memory now. Spyware loaded ads are completely ridiculous though, I'm glad you're sorting things out.

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 17:13:50


Not supportive? Sorry, I'll buy AH they day Tom finishes it, but I won't put up with popups.

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 17:27:14


At 3/19/04 02:58 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Pop up blockers are the reason for all these new mailcious ads. If people never installed pop up blockers, or used browsers that blocked them, we whouldn't have all these problems.

I have Goolge toolbar, but I never use the blocker. It's common sense; bandwidth isn't free, sites with pop-ups usually are.

Now look at TV. You have to pay for that AND you get commercials. Sites like NG, etc. provide a free service for a few ads. It's not that bad a deal, live with it.

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 17:28:53


Thanks for informing us so that we can try to fix it and prevent it from hapening i really apreciate it

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 17:38:55


At 3/19/04 02:58 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Pop up blockers are the reason for all these new mailcious ads. If people never installed pop up blockers, or used browsers that blocked them, we whouldn't have all these problems. Even f'ing ISP include software to block pop ups. It should be ILLEGAL. It's like buying a TV that blocks TV commercials.

I doubt that, Wade. I think if there wasn't such a thing as a pop-up blocker, it would be worse. Pay someone a few bucks, and you can spread a virus around the net in one night. It wouldn't matter if your ad got pulled, since there aren't any pop-up blockers, you'd know at least someone got the bug. And then they'd give it to someone else, etc.

And as far as ethics go, what about stuff like TiVo? People pay good money to remove the ads from TV.

I run Ad-Aware and Ad-Watch (pay version). Ad-Watch stops all the malicious installers, but lets the clean pop ups through.

I know NG depends on pop-ups for revenue, and that's why sometimes I disable my own blocker. But I've never liked the idea of pop-up ads. It's not like TV advertisements. Banner ads are more like TV ads. They have their place, they do their job. They don't keep people from enjoying the site. If TV had pop-ups, that block the screen during the action, or change the TV to the Home Shopping Network, I wouldn't watch TV. Period.

I always refer people to NG, whenever the opportunity arises, and some stay and become a part of the NG community. However, countless times I've been told that "there were just too many pop-up ads". And that is no joke.

I'd prefer an option to pay for an pop-up-less account on NG rather than turn off my pop-up blocker.


"A witty quote proves nothing."

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 17:45:54


Yea, I've noticed alot, there are ads that even my google pop-up blocker doesnt block, and its only on NG. Right not its at like 27545, but in one week it was like from 1,235 to 12,357. ITS CRAZY.

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 18:03:43


At 3/19/04 11:37 AM, TomFulp wrote: we launch a new site design

This site design you speak of... when will this be?


BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 18:12:13


At 3/19/04 02:58 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Pop up blockers are the reason for all these new mailcious ads. If people never installed pop up blockers, or used browsers that blocked them, we whouldn't have all these problems. Even f'ing ISP include software to block pop ups. It should be ILLEGAL.

I can't believe I'm hearing this. Pop-up blockers should be illegal? Give me a break. Ever think for one reason that the malicious ads are the reason for the pop-up blockers? It's a catch-22 situation. I for one wouldn't dream of viewing Newgrounds with anything other than Firefox, purely because of the malicious ads. The fact that it kills the innocent pop-ups is just a welcome (for the end user) by-product. I hardly think for one minute that more than 20% of your users have adequate pop-up protection in any case, I doubt you're going to be losing a significant amount of income from people using pop-up blockers.

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 18:13:37


At 3/19/04 12:36 PM, SamG wrote: You need ad-aware:

Thank you!

Malicious Ads...


BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 18:29:24


At 3/19/04 12:36 PM, SamG wrote:
At 3/19/04 12:07 PM, _lightning_ wrote: Does any one know what to do against that http://mysearchnow.com/ banner i get on IE? I know newgrunding posted athread about that ones but i don't remember where.
You need ad-aware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Adaware only removes the spyware once you have it, it doesn't keep you from getting it.

Download a prog named Spyware Guard, it blocks everything, is free and has regular updates.

Also I would highly recommend picking up a copy of pop-up stopper pro.

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 18:35:46


At 3/19/04 02:58 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Pop up blockers are the reason for all these new mailcious ads. If people never installed pop up blockers, or used browsers that blocked them, we whouldn't have all these problems. Even f'ing ISP include software to block pop ups. It should be ILLEGAL. It's like buying a TV that blocks TV commercials.

Wade, thats about the most retarded thing I've ever heard you say and I've been listening to you for a long damn time. Pop ups are as bad as SPAM, they're unsolicited, unwanted and completely annoying. To compair them to television ads is completely convoluted. I cant remember the last time I was watching a TV show and some damn comercial or chance to win a big screen TV just jumped up on my screen and blocked whatever the hell it was I was watching.

I fyou want to advertise on the net then put a clickable ad on someones webpage but dont fucking assault me with a bunch of crap I didnt ask for. If advertisers did so in an honest, dignified mannor that allowed people to choose if they wanted to see pop ups or not then there wouildnt be a need to have pop-up stoppers.

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 18:36:02


its your site man, run it how ya want :) if people complain about popups, then they complain. in the end, it costs you money to run and host this site, which is more like a business considering it is a source of income. do whatever it takes. we just hope you are trying to find the best ways, and with posts like this, it shows :)

someone mentioned google ads. i dunno what they pay, but that sidebar tall/thin banner they have, i've actually found it useful and welcoming. maybe check that out if you haven't already :) have a nice day.

wantedsounds.com - pimp out your car audio system!

Response to Malicious Ads... 2004-03-19 18:39:44


What do the ads look like and what excatly is a super ad i am kinda stupid when it comes to computers