00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kiler91 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Dubstep Wall

9,064 Views | 145 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-05-27 17:48:05

At 5/27/10 05:32 PM, SineRider wrote: Yeah it just seems the shit factor is much much higher than most 'new' genres, but you make a good point. Anyone can download a DAW and start making music.

The bad thing is though, the newer producers aren't using real techniques and taking time to polish off mixes and using pure samples, and these genres are getting more popular than the ones that take more time and effort to make. :l

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-05-27 18:17:45

At 5/27/10 05:48 PM, AlexCo wrote:
The bad thing is though, the newer producers aren't using real techniques and taking time to polish off mixes and using pure samples, and these genres are getting more popular than the ones that take more time and effort to make. :l

Song + More Time+ More Effort does not = Better song. Think of the album Chinese Democracy, which took ages. Was shite. Compared to say Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue, in which each track was done in 1-2 takes.

And techniques only become techniques after someone discovers them. The first ever Dubstep artist did not stumble upon nor write "The Book Of Wob". It's all trial and error.

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-05-28 11:54:18

At 5/27/10 06:17 PM, Chris-V2 wrote: Song + More Time+ More Effort does not = Better song. Think of the album Chinese Democracy, which took ages. Was shite. Compared to say Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue, in which each track was done in 1-2 takes.

I meant about the engineering side of things, the amount of takes can be short, but the editing and mixing done in the background could've taken longer. Chinese Democracy could've been the other way round, the artists may have been shit at doing takes, but the techies behind the scenes could'v e spent little time on that album.

And techniques only become techniques after someone discovers them. The first ever Dubstep artist did not stumble upon nor write "The Book Of Wob". It's all trial and error.

Since when did dubstep rely on wobs?

Benga & Coki - Night, Coki - Spongebob, Reso - Hyperglide, Burial - Archangel, Joker - Purple City &
La Roux - In For The Kill (Skream's Let's Get Ravey Remix) don't have wobs.

I'm not insisting music HAS to use techniques either, but don't you think knowing how to EQ, for example. helps a bit? ;)

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-05-28 12:33:44

Not really, no. I think having good ideas is much more important then having sat down and thought how EQ'ing works and what it does and can do.

Better off with a diamond in the rough then a polished turd, you know?

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-05-28 12:38:02

At 5/28/10 12:33 PM, Chris-V2 wrote: Not really, no. I think having good ideas is much more important then having sat down and thought how EQ'ing works and what it does and can do.

Better off with a diamond in the rough then a polished turd, you know?

Yep, but if your ideas are shit at the start, you'll find you can't polish a turd. :D

It depends who you are as well, we all work differently.

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-05-28 21:52:41

Does anyone in here use Reason to make their Dub Step tracks?

Audio | Alter | It sounds like a fire hydrant went off in an old folks home with screaming babies field recorded, glitched, and spontaneously played back.

BBS Signature

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-05-29 21:54:00

At 5/28/10 09:52 PM, JonH2O wrote: Does anyone in here use Reason to make their Dub Step tracks?

I do! And I tried making dubstep in FL and I actually had a more successful time in Reason... modulation control is so much easier. Well, to me that is.

pervokative.bandcamp.com

pervokatively provocative perverted person

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-05-29 23:43:23

At 5/29/10 09:54 PM, ZENON wrote:
At 5/28/10 09:52 PM, JonH2O wrote: Does anyone in here use Reason to make their Dub Step tracks?
I do! And I tried making dubstep in FL and I actually had a more successful time in Reason... modulation control is so much easier. Well, to me that is.

I vastly prefer the way that automation and routing is handled in Reason.

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-05-30 13:56:05

New tune: Yag

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-05-30 14:46:40

At 5/29/10 11:43 PM, jarrydn wrote:
At 5/29/10 09:54 PM, ZENON wrote:
I vastly prefer the way that automation and routing is handled in Reason.

Can I third this? Especially the synthesizing abilities, I make some sick wobbles. And if you have a touch sensitive keyboard, oh my gosh the velocity changes can make all the difference.

Strychnine and cyanide. A healthy part of this complete breakfast.

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-05-30 16:31:00

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-05-30 16:37:24

At 5/30/10 04:31 PM, alextheDJ wrote: Craziestest drop evaaa

can never go wrong with a bit of reso

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-05-30 17:27:30

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-05-30 20:55:21

At 5/16/10 12:54 AM, Bjra wrote: alright, dubstep has just entered a golden age with this song. wait for the drop

Oh man, all the stuff I'm working on sounds flappy and lifeless after listening to that. THANKS A LOT.

Now I've gotta figure out how to do it myself or I'll never sleep soundly again.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-05-30 21:55:32

2 Studio Monitors > Sub-woofer :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-05-31 06:23:00

This is straying a bit close to the "not for music appreciation but for music construction" rule, but since I'm not too into dubstep, what do you guys think in terms of how well made it is for dubstep of Pendulum's new dubstep track ("Set me on Fire" from their new album Immersion).

I mean I like it, it sounds good (to me), but I am not sure if it is WELL CONSTRUCTED, or if it is to dubstep, in your opinion, what a four chord song is to pop music.

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-05-31 07:41:58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLZ3Oz3kz pw

Oh my god.

That is the most epic dubstep track I've ever heard.

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-05-31 13:07:07

I haven't tried Reason myself because I know Fruity Loops too well. I know all of its functions except for some new VSTi's but for the most part I have been working on this program since 2002. I would like to try Reason or Acid Pro but I still like Fruity Loops.

Like I was saying before I am mostly concentrating on the Bass for the Wobbles. Yes the Flanger LFO rate is the best to get a good pure bass wobble. The type that creates tidal waves. But I have also been trying to do a sort of wave effect where as the wobble not only sounds good in one channel but moves from say... the front right channel to the back right channel without it sounding like a simple echo or ping pong effect. So far I like the wave and stereo shaper. I can get it to do it correctly but it takes a long time in order for it to be configured because it is all manually done.

I have been trying to keep up with all current dubstep but I have been so busy doing thousands of other things besides music. (5 Jobs for one. I make music for the hell of it, not for profit.)

Anyway I would love to try reason but can someone post up a tut on how to create some basic dubstep in reason in here?

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-06-01 11:14:46

So it seems Dubstep has grown quite a bit to the users on Newgrounds, or so it seems... yet we dont have a genre on the audio portal FOR Dubstep? I mean check out the last MAC, in the top 5 there were like 2 or 3 Dubstep ringtones. I think we should get ourselves our own Genre menu :)

Just saying.

Yay/Nay?

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-06-01 11:42:23

Tom isn't going to change anything about the audio portal now.

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-06-01 12:43:05

At 6/1/10 11:14 AM, Max4745 wrote: So it seems Dubstep has grown quite a bit to the users on Newgrounds, or so it seems... yet we dont have a genre on the audio portal FOR Dubstep? I mean check out the last MAC, in the top 5 there were like 2 or 3 Dubstep ringtones. I think we should get ourselves our own Genre menu :)

Just saying.

Yay/Nay?

I think it would be great to have a Dubstep genre sometime in the near future. Dubstep isn't really my kind of music, but i still listen to it occasionally to try to have a more open mind about it.

The mods and admins have been promising updates to the audio portal for some time now, but so far we haven't gotten much. But they're also planning on updating the site soon, which, from the way they're talking, means some AP updates, so who knows, you may get your genre soon.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not really a Dubstep person, but I listen every once in a while in order to have an open mind about it. So, if anyone wants to PM me a link to their Dubstep songs, feel free. But please don't post it in this thread, I don't want it to develop into another advertisement thread and end up being locked. Doesn't matter if the song is here on NG, Youtube, or wherever else, I'll listen regardless. So hit me up.

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-06-01 23:27:39

Newgrounds introduced me to Dubstep, and now I'm in love.

If you look in the DnB section, you'll see more than enough Dubstep songs to fill it's own genre.

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-06-02 12:54:43

At 5/31/10 07:41 AM, AlexCo wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLZ3Oz3kz pw

Oh my god.

That is the most epic dubstep track I've ever heard.

DEWD O.o nice found damn O.o

New song Below Dubstep tune click signature below

BBS Signature

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-06-09 13:30:09

At 5/30/10 04:31 PM, alextheDJ wrote: Craziestest drop evaaa

holy shit, one of the best dubstep I've ever heard

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-06-10 13:25:27

At 6/9/10 10:17 PM, Chemich wrote: no offense.

I are offended.

Diggin this one

Response to The Dubstep Wall 2010-06-16 04:08:32