00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted Ministerhomer supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Hardware Discussion Thread.

735 Views | 12 Replies

Hardware Discussion Thread. 2010-05-02 04:44:23

Note: I could have sworn I saw a thread like this, but after countless searching, I have found nothing of the sort. If you can search better than me, please supply a link and then leave this to be locked. Just wanted to clear that up first.

Welcome to the Hardware Discussion Thread.

Just a thread for you to post what you are currently using, why you are using it, and so on. Feel free to post pictures of your hardware, prices, and give it a personal review. This is a thread for people looking to ask what they are considering buying, and getting advice from others with similar hardware. This includes scanners, tablets, digital pens, and so on. If your a natural artist, you can discuss pencils and so on also.

When first posting in this thread, try to give a run down of what your currently using. Just so people can ask you directly what you think of your equipment and so on. A personal touch is a good touch. So things such as price range in your currency, brand name, type name, style, etc. Just the fundamentals of the hardware. Posting a picture of your equipment with your first post wouldn't hurt either.

I'm currently looking to buy some new hardware actually. A tablet that is. Any recommendations? I need something in the lower price range, not dramatically low, but not $600+ or anything either. So any ideas in that department would be appreciated.

Discuss.

BBS Signature

Response to Hardware Discussion Thread. 2010-05-02 05:09:26

I am currently using a Staedtler HB pencil and a shitty scanner that came with my laptop.

I am also using a pencil sharpener I found lying around my house, and a Staedtler eraser that I believe I have had since I was in primary school.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Hardware Discussion Thread. 2010-05-02 05:32:13

Aw cmon guys the rules clearly state you need a starter pic to create a thread, no matter how genius the idea for the thread may seem.

I'm drooling over the 1k Wacom Cintiq, just sayin. The $60 Wacoms seem like they wouldn't be of fantastic quality to me. Especially cause they offer other tablets with only slightly higher pricetags that look essentially the same.

BBS Signature

Response to Hardware Discussion Thread. 2010-05-02 06:10:31

At 5/2/10 05:10 AM, Misagi wrote: I want one of those 60 dollar Wacom tablets they seem straight forward in a balance with performance and price.

I think its smarter just to upgrade to a $110 tablet, or around that range. The extra savings gives you a lot more pressure functions, and the software is usually better. It also helps because the tablet itself has a lot more space, and those extra inches are going to help you a lot. Tablets are so cheap these days, in comparison to even a year ago.

At 5/2/10 05:32 AM, Wivernryder wrote: Aw cmon guys the rules clearly state you need a starter pic to create a thread, no matter how genius the idea for the thread may seem.

The rules do state that - but I believe this is only for individual art threads, games, etc. Not exactly threads of this nature. If you had to post pictures all through threads like the regulars lounge, this forum would barely function. So its okay here, as far as I know. Art needs to be discussed, as well as shown.

The $60 Wacom's seem like they wouldn't be of fantastic quality to me. Especially cause they offer other tablets with only slightly higher price tags that look essentially the same.

They wouldn't be great quality, but I can't see Wacom lending their name to a completely pathetic product. So I think besides the price being so cheap, the tablets will be okay. I personally would like to upgrade the price, because it seems like a big quality jump. But I think, for someone with less money, they're more than perfect.

BBS Signature

Response to Hardware Discussion Thread. 2010-05-02 06:59:36

Jack, you obviously haven't been to the Art Forum very often. I will say, best of luck to you with that.

You have been warned.

BBS Signature

Response to Hardware Discussion Thread. 2010-05-02 12:57:47

I have a wacom intuos4 and use photoshop cs4

intuos4- totally unnecessary upgrade from the bamboo, but I had the money and why not, there was no real reason to do so, but there wasnt a reason not to.

cs4-ya
I use to use flash until I realised that there is no easy way to control the lines it makes, the self correcting nonsense just gets in the way
"No flash, I wanted that line there, not over there" There was also no way to control line depth

Response to Hardware Discussion Thread. 2010-05-02 13:30:04

i have a lapazz tablet

never heard of it? neither have it

12 x 10.5 ins
working space 9.5 x 7.5 ins
my epson stylus sx200 scanner which actually scans but wont print for shit
and my acer laptop, acer aspire 5310 it says, i dont know what it is

software, photoshop cs4 and paint tool sai, could never figure out any other programs

also use pencils and fineliners, no named brands just normal shit

Response to Hardware Discussion Thread. 2010-05-02 14:24:20

Photoshop CS 2
Wacom Bamboo Fun Small

Response to Hardware Discussion Thread. 2010-05-02 14:42:37

Wacom bamboo
PS CS3

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Hardware Discussion Thread. 2010-05-02 16:19:30

photoshop cs4
Photoscape 3.3
Picasa 3
Aviary (contains manuals and FAQs, very informative)

Report writing secrets

Response to Hardware Discussion Thread. 2010-05-02 16:56:34

At 5/2/10 02:24 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Wacom Bamboo Fun Small

How are the Bamboo's? I'm considering getting one. They're around $150 new on Amazon and such. Worth it?

BBS Signature

Response to Hardware Discussion Thread. 2010-05-02 16:59:43

At 5/2/10 04:56 PM, JackCurrie wrote:
At 5/2/10 02:24 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Wacom Bamboo Fun Small
How are the Bamboo's? I'm considering getting one. They're around $150 new on Amazon and such. Worth it?

you can get a good but small bamboo from just about any electronics store for about $60 or so. There pretty good for that price, and they are a wacom product. And for only measly 60 bucks, there perfect for anyone wanting to try a wacom or just a tablet in general for the first time.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Hardware Discussion Thread. 2010-05-02 17:19:14

At 5/2/10 06:10 AM, JackCurrie wrote:
At 5/2/10 05:32 AM, Wivernryder wrote: Aw cmon guys the rules clearly state you need a starter pic to create a thread, no matter how genius the idea for the thread may seem.
The rules do state that - but I believe this is only for individual art threads, games, etc. Not exactly threads of this nature. If you had to post pictures all through threads like the regulars lounge, this forum would barely function. So its okay here, as far as I know. Art needs to be discussed, as well as shown.

Sorry, you're wrong about that, we mods are very anal about this rule AND ENFORCE IT EVERY TIME IN EVERY THREAD. ALL new threads must start with an ORIGINAL piece of art. You don't have to include a piece of art with every post, that would be silly, but to start a thread, yeah, you need one.

So, yeah, I don't mind there being a thread about what hardware is good/poor or whatever, just make sure you follow the rules. ;]

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature