00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread

68,551 Views | 1,021 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-10 15:57:11

At 4/10/10 02:57 PM, Firerank9 wrote: I search and looked all over Johto and Kanto, but could not find a trace of leafeon and glacion!

The reason for that is that those two Pokemon only evolve in Sinnoh, and are unable to evolve from Eevee in Kanto or Johto.

So, yeah, you are best to just ask around, as you did later in the post.

Anyways, been training a lot, capturing new Pokemon, exploring. Nothing TOO important. Still got to battle Red, but that won't happen anytime soon.

I hope to evolve most of my untrained Pokemon, in order to get closer to completing the PokeDex.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-10 16:11:30

Do pokemon appear less often in Kanto? I can run around in the grass for about 5 mins and get nothing. However in Johto every 3-4 steps i'll run into a wild pokemon.

Feels weird to be able to run around in the grass without pokemon throwing themselves at me.

Sig made by simon <3

360 Gamertag - Warshark NG

PSN ID - xI_Warshark_Ix

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-10 16:50:00

At 4/10/10 07:47 AM, Ejit wrote: They really need to scale down the effectiveness of any move that raises evasiveness or decreases foes' accuracy. IMO.

Yeah, those are all really stupid, and completely illegal in competitive play. At least minimize, double team, etc. are, not sure about sand attack and smokescreen and such.

Founder of the Asian Users club

Member of the Super Smash Bros.Crew since page 58. SSBB friend code: 3265-4812-7128

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-10 16:56:50

At 4/10/10 04:50 PM, kRaZyAzN wrote:
At 4/10/10 07:47 AM, Ejit wrote: They really need to scale down the effectiveness of any move that raises evasiveness or decreases foes' accuracy. IMO.
Yeah, those are all really stupid, and completely illegal in competitive play. At least minimize, double team, etc. are, not sure about sand attack and smokescreen and such.

Stupid? Personally I find Sand-Attack and Smokescreen quite handy vs the Gym Leaders strongest Pokemon. You can make them completely harmless with a sand-attack or three.

Also why are they considered 'illegal'? They're part of the game right, and as far as I can see they're not exactly overpowered moves or anything...

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-10 17:07:48

At 4/9/10 03:41 PM, Auz wrote:
At 4/9/10 02:59 PM, TheMaster wrote: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/E ffort_values#Generation_II

It's much more simplistic, and it's possible to max out every stat, not just 2 of them like in Gen 3 onwards.
Oh I see. So basically if you fight long enough, you will eventually max out every stat and you don't have to worry about EV's at all. That's nice :)

I haven't tested, but I'm almost sure the new EV training system is the one used in HG/SS. Unless you're playing the original Gold/Silver.

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-10 17:14:03

At 4/10/10 04:56 PM, Auz wrote: Also why are they considered 'illegal'? They're part of the game right, and as far as I can see they're not exactly overpowered moves or anything...

Tourneyfags always have stupid rules. Evasion clause (no accuracy decreasing/evasion increasing moves), Sleep Clause (no sleep moves), Item Clause (no duplicate held items).

It's fucking pointless. Learn to counter it, don't ban stuff you don't like.

I can understand banning Ubers though, since they are objectively better than other Pokemon, and if they're allowed, everyone just ends up with of 6 these 20 or so different Pokemon, and the other 473 are never used.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-10 17:17:24

At 4/10/10 04:56 PM, Auz wrote:
Stupid? Personally I find Sand-Attack and Smokescreen quite handy vs the Gym Leaders strongest Pokemon. You can make them completely harmless with a sand-attack or three.

Also why are they considered 'illegal'? They're part of the game right, and as far as I can see they're not exactly overpowered moves or anything...

They are very useful, but their effects are negated as soon as your opponent switches pokemon.

And in general, most competitive players just don't approve of the use of moves like minimize or double team. After 2-3 of those, it will be nearly impossible for anything to hit them.

They're just a general annoyance, just like how you're not allowed to use healing items like hyper potions and stuff when playing on wifi, the game could theoretically be never ending.

Member of the Super Smash Bros.Crew since page 58. SSBB friend code: 3265-4812-7128

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-10 17:53:31

At 4/10/10 05:07 PM, 4urentertainment wrote:
At 4/9/10 03:41 PM, Auz wrote: Oh I see. So basically if you fight long enough, you will eventually max out every stat and you don't have to worry about EV's at all. That's nice :)
I haven't tested, but I'm almost sure the new EV training system is the one used in HG/SS. Unless you're playing the original Gold/Silver.

Yeah I'm playing the original and I bet HG/SS would work with the new system. Otherwise Pokemon trained in those two games would always be way better than those trained in D/P.

At 4/10/10 05:14 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 4/10/10 04:56 PM, Auz wrote: Also why are they considered 'illegal'? They're part of the game right, and as far as I can see they're not exactly overpowered moves or anything...
Tourneyfags always have stupid rules. Evasion clause (no accuracy decreasing/evasion increasing moves), Sleep Clause (no sleep moves), Item Clause (no duplicate held items).

It's fucking pointless. Learn to counter it, don't ban stuff you don't like.

I agree. They're part of the game, they can be countered and everybody can use them. Therefore it's fair and you don't need to ban them.

I can understand banning Ubers though, since they are objectively better than other Pokemon, and if they're allowed, everyone just ends up with of 6 these 20 or so different Pokemon, and the other 473 are never used.

Well I remember somebody once wrote in an article that it's normally pretty pointless to come up with rules like this, because what will happen is that people will all just switch to the second best strategy in the game. Or the second best set of Pokemon in this case, being the pseudo-legendaries like Dragonite, Metagross, Salamence etc.. You can indeed see that these Pokemon are now used a lot in competitive play.

What it also mentioned on the other hand is that when the best strategy becomes so good that EVERYBODY will only use that single strategy because you can't win otherwise, it's justified to ban it. I think that's the case with ubers. Like you said, everybody would start using them probably and banning them will make competitive play much more interesting. The pseudo-legendaries are at least beatable with the right strategy, whereas the ubers are practically invincible against most ordinary Pokemon.

So yeah, banning ubers is alright.

At 4/10/10 05:17 PM, kRaZyAzN wrote: And in general, most competitive players just don't approve of the use of moves like minimize or double team. After 2-3 of those, it will be nearly impossible for anything to hit them.

Well there are still moves like Swift which will never miss and Surf which has a very high hit-ratio. On top of that the opponent will have to lose 3 turns so you can make sure you take him down before that. I don't think it makes much sense banning it.

They're just a general annoyance, just like how you're not allowed to use healing items like hyper potions and stuff when playing on wifi, the game could theoretically be never ending.

Yeah I can understand banning healing items :) Indeed that could make games last forever and it's probably gonna be all about who brings the most revives and hyper potions with him.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-10 18:00:46

At 4/10/10 05:14 PM, TheMaster wrote:

Oh, well I've only known evasion clause to be widely accepted, I've never played with item or sleep clause, or freeze clause, etc.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-10 18:05:43

Where would be the best place to train a flying pokemon??

instagram.com/five_mile_smile

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-10 18:13:55

At 4/10/10 05:53 PM, Auz wrote: Well I remember somebody once wrote in an article that it's normally pretty pointless to come up with rules like this, because what will happen is that people will all just switch to the second best strategy in the game. Or the second best set of Pokemon in this case, being the pseudo-legendaries like Dragonite, Metagross, Salamence etc.. You can indeed see that these Pokemon are now used a lot in competitive play.

While this true, everyone does just step down to the second tier, there are vastly more Pokemon in it than there are Ubers. You're never going to see anyone playing unevolved Pokemon or shit like Raticate or Farfetch'd, but there's going to be way more variety than if you have Ubers.

Also, regarding Pseudo-legendaries, Dragonite, Salamance and Garchomp (who is usually classed as an Uber anyway) are all double weak to ice, while Metagross and Tyranitar are weak against ground (not to mention Tyranitar also being regularly weak to ice), and almost every team runs at least 1 Pokemon with Earthquake, meaning using more than one on your team isn't really a good idea.

What it also mentioned on the other hand is that when the best strategy becomes so good that EVERYBODY will only use that single strategy because you can't win otherwise, it's justified to ban it. I think that's the case with ubers. Like you said, everybody would start using them probably and banning them will make competitive play much more interesting. The pseudo-legendaries are at least beatable with the right strategy, whereas the ubers are practically invincible against most ordinary Pokemon.

Exactly. They've even banned in-game in the Battle Tower.

Well there are still moves like Swift which will never miss and Surf which has a very high hit-ratio. On top of that the opponent will have to lose 3 turns so you can make sure you take him down before that. I don't think it makes much sense banning it.

All the never-misses moves are shit, though, waste of a move slot. Also Surf only has regular accuracy, no more accurate than, say, Wing Attack or Ember. I can definitely understand the reasoning behind banning them.

Yeah I can understand banning healing items :) Indeed that could make games last forever and it's probably gonna be all about who brings the most revives and hyper potions with him.

You can't use items in multiplayer battles. Never been able to, the items option isn't displayed. That's not a rule, it's part of the game.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-10 19:36:21

Caught a shiny Magikarp in dragons den. How useless.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-10 19:40:12

At 4/10/10 07:36 PM, Viridis wrote: Caught a shiny Magikarp in dragons den. How useless.

Make it a red Gyarados.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-10 19:54:34

At 4/10/10 07:36 PM, Viridis wrote: Caught a shiny Magikarp in dragons den. How useless.

lmao, perfect

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-10 19:57:38

NewsFlash......

New Mystery Gift item avalable for download, Yellow forest Pokewalker Route!
Download is avalible till May 5th 2010.

Route features...
Pikachu (some with Volt Tackle)
Pikachu link item (Light orb)

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-10 20:01:13

At 4/10/10 07:57 PM, Firerank9 wrote: NewsFlash......

New Mystery Gift item avalable for download, Yellow forest Pokewalker Route!
Download is avalible till May 5th 2010.

Route features...
Pikachu (some with Volt Tackle)
Pikachu link item (Light orb)

Old news.. And there are also Flying & Surfing Pikachu's.

Speaking of which, TheMaster, got any extras you can part with?

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-10 20:14:03

At 4/10/10 07:40 PM, scetch00 wrote:
Make it a red Gyarados.

Another one?

At 4/10/10 07:54 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: lmao, perfect

Gonna train it to Lv.100
THEN IT WILL HAVE THE ULTIMATE TACKLE ATTACK

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-10 20:21:13

At 4/10/10 08:14 PM, Viridis wrote:
At 4/10/10 07:40 PM, scetch00 wrote:
Make it a red Gyarados.
Another one?

Yep.. Try to see if you can get a 6 man team of Red Gyarados' :D

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-10 21:18:40

At 4/10/10 08:06 PM, Tramps wrote:
Also, I heard the virus expires and that they can't get it again but do the effects of the virus still last on the pokemon? Do EV's accumulate overtime or only become active through levelling? At level 100, do you still gain EV's?

The virus expires in the sense that you can no longer use that Pokemon to transfer it to others, but instead of saying PKRS it will now have a smilie face on your Pokemon's stat page, and that basically just lets you know that he had the virus at one point, and that Pokemon will still gain EVs at the same rate, as if he still had the virus. So, yeah, the effects stay indefinitely, just don't lose the virus, make sure someone always has it in your PC box. It's extremely easy to spread, one or two fights with a Pokemon who has it and your whole team will have it.

EVs accumulate as you are fighting, but they won't appear until a level up. So, hypothetically, if you have a level 99 Pokemon with no EVs, you could probably battle a bunch of level 2 - 5 Pokemon and get every EV you want for him, and then level him up to 100 and you will see your stat page have like +63 Speed, +65 Sp. Def, etc. etc. Depending on what you EV trained in.

Once you hit 100 though, it's over. You can no longer EV train since it requires you to level up before the EV stats distribute to your base stats.

I've been refurbished and reissued, prepackaged and precooked, decontaminated and deloused, but I still smell, sound, look and feel like shit.

New to the video game forums?

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-10 21:24:13

At 4/10/10 08:01 PM, scetch00 wrote: Speaking of which, TheMaster, got any extras you can part with?

Just the one Surfing Pikachu. Haven't even used the Pokewalker since then. Just been gathering Watts instead.

At 4/10/10 08:06 PM, Tramps wrote: Oh, I forgot to add... regarding Pokerus, theoretically, since growth of the virus freezes when a pokemon with it is stored in the PC and to my knowledge, a cycle of the virus ends at midnight, if you put your pokemon in the PC before midnight and take it out afterwards, will a cycle be missed, meaning that the virus can never be discarded?

Correct.

Also, I heard the virus expires and that they can't get it again but do the effects of the virus still last on the pokemon? Do EV's accumulate overtime or only become active through levelling? At level 100, do you still gain EV's?

Yes, once they've had it, the effects will remain, they just can't spread it to any new Pokemon.

EVs are collected every time you defeat a Pokemon. Each Pokemon gives between 1 and 3 EVs. You get EVs corresponding to each stat, and can put 255 EVs into one stat, but only 510 EVs overall, meaning you cannot max out each stat. The more EVs you have in one stat, the faster the Pokemon gains points in that stat on level up. At level 100, each 4 EVs corresponds to 1 stat point. You do still collect EVs at level 100 (although you'll have a hard job getting there without gaining the 510 maximum, unless you just use rare candy all the way or something), but as their effects are only applied on level up, they won't do anything.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-10 23:33:02

For those of us who do not have wifi set up, any way to get this special Pokewalker route? Or other downloadables?

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-11 00:13:11

At 4/10/10 11:33 PM, Gustavos wrote: For those of us who do not have wifi set up, any way to get this special Pokewalker route?

Well, you have to take your DS to somewhere where you can connect to an unprotected wireless network or one you're allowed on (eg: local wifi hotspots, friends house, etc).

Then just connect to wifi and go "receive mystery gift from wifi" or whatever the option in the main menu is.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-11 04:49:36

I tried to get a few more wins in the Battle Frontier, mainly the single Pokemon area, but on my 10th battle I can against a Manectric that knew Flamethrower... I called bullshit on the game and went to sleep.

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-11 06:04:31

At 4/10/10 08:14 PM, Viridis wrote:
At 4/10/10 07:40 PM, scetch00 wrote: Make it a red Gyarados.
Another one?

Breed both the Gyarados? Or are they the same gender? You could keep going until, like someone said before me, get a team of 6 shiny Gyarados.
Not that they'd be much use in the main game. Unless you wanna take on Blaine in style?

Also, when you have a shiny pokemon first in your party do they appear shiny when walking with you?

Finally, I beat Erika and Janine with little hassle. When do I get to gym leaders which put up a challenge? Maybe it's because i'm slightly over levelled after so much training before the Elite 4. l

Sig made by simon <3

PSN ID - xI_Warshark_Ix

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-11 07:15:05

At 4/10/10 06:13 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 4/10/10 05:53 PM, Auz wrote: Well I remember somebody once wrote in an article that it's normally pretty pointless to come up with rules like this, because what will happen is that people will all just switch to the second best strategy in the game.
While this true, everyone does just step down to the second tier, there are vastly more Pokemon in it than there are Ubers. You're never going to see anyone playing unevolved Pokemon or shit like Raticate or Farfetch'd, but there's going to be way more variety than if you have Ubers.

True. Although I remember seeing a video once where some guy had a level 1 Rattata which defeated a level 100 Empoleon by Endeavor + Quick Attack :p So some of them could still be useful I suppose.

Also, regarding Pseudo-legendaries, Dragonite, Salamance and Garchomp (who is usually classed as an Uber anyway) are all double weak to ice, while Metagross and Tyranitar are weak against ground (not to mention Tyranitar also being regularly weak to ice), and almost every team runs at least 1 Pokemon with Earthquake, meaning using more than one on your team isn't really a good idea.

You're right, they do all share weaknesses against Ice and/or Ground so more than one or two might not be such a good idea. Why would Garchomp be considered an uber by the way? =/

Exactly. They've even banned in-game in the Battle Tower.

Yeah the Battle Tower rules are pretty fair.

Are Mew, Celebi and such generally considered ubers by the way? I believe they're just as strong as pseudo-legendaries, but they are banned in the Battle Tower, right?

All the never-misses moves are shit, though, waste of a move slot. Also Surf only has regular accuracy, no more accurate than, say, Wing Attack or Ember. I can definitely understand the reasoning behind banning them.

Really? I can vaguely remember something in Pokemon Stadium 2 where you had tutorials which went a little in depth about strategies. And one of the tutorials stated that Surf was slightly more accurate than regular moves. Perhaps I gotta check back into that...

Anyway, there's also Rain Dance + Thunder and Lock-On which ensures a 100% chance of a hit. And like I said the opponent will have to take a couple of turns so if you finish him quickly you won't have any problems.

You can't use items in multiplayer battles. Never been able to, the items option isn't displayed. That's not a rule, it's part of the game.

Oh alright. I know it was like that in the classic games, but I thought they might've changed that in the newer versions. That's what the other guy implied at least.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-11 08:22:15

At 4/11/10 06:04 AM, warshark wrote: Breed both the Gyarados? Or are they the same gender? You could keep going until, like someone said before me, get a team of 6 shiny Gyarados.

Breeding shiny Pokemon does not increase the chance of getting shiny eggs. It's still just 1 in 8192.

At 4/11/10 07:15 AM, Auz wrote: You're right, they do all share weaknesses against Ice and/or Ground so more than one or two might not be such a good idea. Why would Garchomp be considered an uber by the way? =/

He's significantly more powerful than the other pseudo-legendaries, and more powerful than most legendaries.

Not all legendaries are even Uber, the likes of the Birds and the Beasts aren't, yet Wobuffet is (with good reason, probably being the most devastating Pokemon in the game).

Are Mew, Celebi and such generally considered ubers by the way? I believe they're just as strong as pseudo-legendaries, but they are banned in the Battle Tower, right?

Mew is, Celebi isn't.

Really? I can vaguely remember something in Pokemon Stadium 2 where you had tutorials which went a little in depth about strategies. And one of the tutorials stated that Surf was slightly more accurate than regular moves. Perhaps I gotta check back into that...

Maybe in earlier gens, definitely not in Gen 4.

Anyway, there's also Rain Dance + Thunder and Lock-On which ensures a 100% chance of a hit. And like I said the opponent will have to take a couple of turns so if you finish him quickly you won't have any problems.

It requires you build a team around being able to hit then, though, leaving you weakened against teams that don't use evasion.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-11 10:31:43

Lol, I had enough of training vs wild Pokemon so I decided to just take on the league with a heavily underleveled party. Surprisingly enough I got all the way up to Karen with level 37 Pokemon and without using any healing items.

Ampharos and Skarmory really trashed the first three members. Turns out that Koga can't really do anything against Skarmory, because none of his Pokemon know any good moves against Steel types :p

So heh, I think I'll be able to beat them with under level 40's :)

At 4/11/10 08:22 AM, TheMaster wrote:
At 4/11/10 07:15 AM, Auz wrote: You're right, they do all share weaknesses against Ice and/or Ground so more than one or two might not be such a good idea. Why would Garchomp be considered an uber by the way? =/
He's significantly more powerful than the other pseudo-legendaries, and more powerful than most legendaries.

Huh? But his stats are equal to Dragonite and Tyranitar's and it doesn't seem like his movepool is that much better... =/

Not all legendaries are even Uber, the likes of the Birds and the Beasts aren't, yet Wobuffet is (with good reason, probably being the most devastating Pokemon in the game).

I always thought Wobuffet's stats would suck, but being able to deal double damage back to everyone + destiny bond indeed makes him a great Pokemon I guess. Although he could probably only beat one or two enemies max.

Mew is, Celebi isn't.

Because Mew can learn every single move and Celebi can't I suppose.

It requires you build a team around being able to hit then, though, leaving you weakened against teams that don't use evasion.

Yeah well... a good team should be able to counter anything if you ask me.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-11 10:48:24

At 4/11/10 10:31 AM, Auz wrote:
Garchomp
Huh? But his stats are equal to Dragonite and Tyranitar's and it doesn't seem like his movepool is that much better... =/

Garchomp has significantly better speed than dragonite or tyranitar, tru story

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-11 10:51:13

At 4/11/10 08:22 AM, TheMaster wrote:
At 4/11/10 06:04 AM, warshark wrote: Breed both the Gyarados? Or are they the same gender? You could keep going until, like someone said before me, get a team of 6 shiny Gyarados.
Breeding shiny Pokemon does not increase the chance of getting shiny eggs. It's still just 1 in 8192.

I got mixed up with Generation 2 and generation 4. Whoops.

Finally got a Surfing pikachu after wasting 400 watts. I think I might breed it and one of the other Pikachus that I got just to see what the pichu has for it's moves. Also, I need the pichu pokedex entry.

Sig made by simon <3

PSN ID - xI_Warshark_Ix

BBS Signature

Response to Official Pokemon Hg/ss Thread 2010-04-11 10:51:34

Red was easy.

He was easier than the whole Elite Four itself. I just used my level 55+ Pokemon. Also to add to that, I captured Mewtwo with one Dusk Ball and Lugia with six Dusk Balls. Easy legendary captures ever in my book.

I used Mewtwo and Lugia against Red and my "Master Ball" captured Raikou. Kyorgre was easy to capture to. Caught him with only three Dusk Balls. Are these legendaries easy to capture or what?

My current team and still training:
Swampert (training)
Venasaur (training)
Typhlosion (55)
Raikou (56)
Dragonite (55)
Lugia (71)

Most of my team is weak against the Ice type, but my Typhlosion will do the job for me, and with it's Speed, it should be a snap. I can basically take on the Elite Four for the second time, but I should wait to level my Dragonite a little higher so I can just use one Draco Meteor to wipe out Lance's level 70+ Dragonite. But I wished I had a Salamence though. :/

Not needed, non needed, no one bled.