00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Scottistrash just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Improving one of my pieces.

89,391 Views | 813 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 17:06:12

I was also confused and as you he enlighten me too. If this versions is still wrong please do that sketch ashman.

Another update. Hope I fixed the shading completely. Hope you like it. It's looking great already. Thanks. Does the Barbarian Boss looks like he his the BB? Do all the characters look good?

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 17:13:18

At 2/22/10 05:06 PM, Mabelma wrote: I was also confused and as you he enlighten me too. If this versions is still wrong please do that sketch ashman.

Another update. Hope I fixed the shading completely. Hope you like it. It's looking great already. Thanks. Does the Barbarian Boss looks like he his the BB? Do all the characters look good?

ok now this is coming together nicely.
I think the characters look fine, personally, although the Green Crasher's left top of the boot/knee is a little low. but we'll get to that later when we get to the background.
Now it's time for the Highlights.
Highlights should face the light source. so lets out a few on the Crashers armor and helment

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 17:15:49

Ok then so just a little color of the base color on the armor and the helmet, facing the lightsourc. Sounds easy. Let's get started.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 17:19:52

At 2/22/10 05:15 PM, Mabelma wrote: Ok then so just a little color of the base color on the armor and the helmet, facing the lightsourc. Sounds easy. Let's get started.

Actually you want to go a little bit lighter or with a complementary color of the base color for your highlights

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 17:25:53

I went a little lighter on it and I also highlighted the Barbarian's masks and their horns. Hope I did it ok.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 17:26:59

is that shadow on the small barbarians torso still facing towards the light source or is that the pattern of his outfit

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 17:28:55

At 2/22/10 05:26 PM, ashman112 wrote: is that shadow on the small barbarians torso still facing towards the light source or is that the pattern of his outfit

Ok thats it! we take a finger.
Ashy get the saw ready......
I'll hold him down

gotta have some fun with this or I'll lose my reputation >:3

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 17:33:40

At 2/22/10 05:25 PM, Mabelma wrote: I went a little lighter on it and I also highlighted the Barbarian's masks and their horns. Hope I did it ok.

I'm starting to see it on the armor, but not on the helmet, don't forget it's metal too :P

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 17:38:09

Sorry about that, You can't really see it their so here's a higher quality.

At 2/22/10 05:28 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 2/22/10 05:26 PM, ashman112 wrote: is that shadow on the small barbarians torso still facing towards the light source or is that the pattern of his outfit
Ok thats it! we take a finger.
I'll hold him down

No that hurts, take the tongue it hurts less. Already fixed.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 17:47:33

At 2/22/10 05:38 PM, Mabelma wrote:
At 2/22/10 05:28 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Ok thats it! we take a finger.
I'll hold him down
No that hurts, take the tongue it hurts less. Already fixed.

yeah but if we take a finger you wont draw wrong again, or is it wont draw properly again, dude go look at some lighting tutorials, shading tutorials, hell go look in the art portal at some work as research, look at m-veros finished art forum group shot pieces, theyve got great shading and should help you loads

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 17:49:33

ok good so far.
now it's time t start the background.
get started on a rough.

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 17:49:47

Thanks, I'll go do that but are you saying that because the shading on the new ones is bad?

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 17:52:51

At 2/22/10 05:49 PM, Mabelma wrote: Thanks, I'll go do that but are you saying that because the shading on the new ones is bad?

no the shading is fine, and the highlights are working, it's now time to move on.
and I mean that as nicely as possible. :P
but since were done with the characters step, it is actually time to move on ^_^'
so to the background....

I'll be back later, >:3 better have that finger and tongue ready for me

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 18:12:41

At 2/22/10 05:49 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: ok good so far.
now it's time t start the background.
get started on a rough.

Awesome, I'll go do that.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 18:19:25

At 2/22/10 05:52 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 2/22/10 05:49 PM, Mabelma wrote: Thanks, I'll go do that but are you saying that because the shading on the new ones is bad?
no the shading is fine, and the highlights are working, it's now time to move on.
and I mean that as nicely as possible. :P
but since were done with the characters step, it is actually time to move on ^_^'
so to the background....
I'll be back later, >:3 better have that finger and tongue ready for me

Awesome, Now that you say that here's a rough sketch of that. HQ

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 19:01:57

Thoughts on the background so far? I will make thr background smaller I just wanted to sketch a few things on the background to Dee how they looked but I will take a lit of things off on the next update. Hope you comment.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 19:07:30

At 2/22/10 07:01 PM, Mabelma wrote: Thoughts on the background so far? I will make thr background smaller I just wanted to sketch a few things on the background to Dee how they looked but I will take a lit of things off on the next update. Hope you comment.

well... .this is something I should hav asked some time ago, but what program are you working in?

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 19:18:06

Like all great artist in this community I'm using Flash, CS3 to be more exact. Can I ask why you asked that?How does the background look?

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 19:18:57

ok as I saw that you had started, you are using a one point perspective, this is good, but your characters do not match that perspective, the angle needs to be lower on the background perspective.

I made the perspective lines a brite red so ther easy to see and I circled the feet. you got to make the feet match the perspective you have layed out, but it might make your characters look like there leaning back. it would most likely be easier to just redo the background with a much lower perspective.
in simpler terms move the horizon line down on your next background. move it until it is close to the crashers thy.

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 19:23:45

At 2/22/10 07:18 PM, Mabelma wrote: Like all great artist in this community I'm using Flash, CS3 to be more exact. Can I ask why you asked that?How does the background look?

well the reason I ask, is because even in the high quality files your posting, there still somewhat low quality. and I was hoping you could send me the actual file threw the image dump rather than just the GIF. it also lets me know what tools you have ar your disposal
lucky you though, I have Flash CS3.
but in my opinion, and I know that others disagree with me on this one, flash is not meant for still art such as this. Illustrator and Photoshop are much better suited. But every one has their preferences, so I'll work in your platform.

I've been critiquing from photoshop

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 19:27:54

Ok then I'll fix the perspective problem on the background. I'm really bad making backgrounds.

I find that Flash is a little simpler for this and the colors I can generate out of it are quite nice while in Photoshop I tend to make colors mire dull and boring. Plus the pen sensitivity is really nice in flash.

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 19:28:13

At 2/22/10 07:18 PM, Mabelma wrote: Like all great artist in this community I'm using Flash, CS3 to be more exact. Can I ask why you asked that?How does the background look?

Im sorry, but I have to remark here that there are some Great artists here that do not use flash...

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 19:33:52

At 2/22/10 07:27 PM, Mabelma wrote: Ok then I'll fix the perspective problem on the background. I'm really bad making backgrounds.

I find that Flash is a little simpler for this and the colors I can generate out of it are quite nice while in Photoshop I tend to make colors mire dull and boring. Plus the pen sensitivity is really nice in flash.

well you can get the same vibrant color in flash as you can in photoshop or dozens of other programs.
by alas, Flash may be limited, but it is your choice.
as for backgrounds, as with everything else, it takes practice to get good.

At 2/22/10 07:28 PM, J-qb wrote: Im sorry, but I have to remark here that there are some Great artists here that do not use flash...

damn and here I thought a "Real" artist was going to help out too.....

hey I'm doing the best I can damn it

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 19:37:17

At 2/22/10 07:33 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 2/22/10 07:28 PM, J-qb wrote: Im sorry, but I have to remark here that there are some Great artists here that do not use flash...
damn and here I thought a "Real" artist was going to help out too.....
hey I'm doing the best I can damn it

please, for your own sake as well as mine; Dont consider me a "real" artist.

I am flattered though ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 19:39:21

At 2/22/10 07:37 PM, J-qb wrote: please, for your own sake as well as mine; Dont consider me a "real" artist.
I am flattered though ;)

fine,
A "Fake" artist shows up to help out, finally!

that any better?

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 19:39:30

Oh, Right!

Im too drunk/tired to look at this now, but Ill try to give some advice tomorrow, kay?

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 19:44:10

At 2/22/10 07:28 PM, J-qb wrote:
Im sorry, but I have to remark here that there are some Great artists here that do not use flash...

Yes and I am very sorry I said I meant to say many or most.

At 2/22/10 07:33 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: well you can get the same vibrant color in flash as you can in photoshop or dozens of other programs.
by alas, Flash may be limited, but it is your choice.
as for backgrounds, as with everything else, it takes practice to get good.

That is true but I'm more used to Flash. I'll fix the background but my question is does the background look good so far? Is there anything wrong with it,besides the perspective?

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 19:49:09

At 2/22/10 07:44 PM, Mabelma wrote: That is true but I'm more used to Flash. I'll fix the background but my question is does the background look good so far? Is there anything wrong with it,besides the perspective?

well yes, but if you are going to keep the tress and such you'll need to enlarge them or it will look like your characters grew over 10 feet tall when you lower that horizon line.

BBS Signature

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 19:52:21

At 2/22/10 07:49 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 2/22/10 07:44 PM, Mabelma wrote: That is true but I'm more used to Flash. I'll fix the background but my question is does the background look good so far? Is there anything wrong with it,besides the perspective?
well yes, but if you are going to keep the tress and such you'll need to enlarge them or it will look like your characters grew over 10 feet tall when you lower that horizon line.

Sure I'll do that, another question. Does moving the horizon line where the sword sound like a good idea?

Response to Improving one of my pieces. 2010-02-22 19:53:59

At 2/22/10 07:52 PM, Mabelma wrote:
Sure I'll do that, another question. Does moving the horizon line where the sword sound like a good idea?

I think around the middle of the sword would be a good place.

BBS Signature