00:00
00:00

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

How to: Perspective walk cycle

7,018 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How to: Perspective walk cycle 2010-02-12 09:01:23

Hello my NG'as ( I was told NG'ers looks to much like a racist word, so to be a dick i dropped the R...see not racist right?)
I have noticed that there is not allot of tutorials on perspective walk cycles.
When i googled it, I got allot of normal walk cycles and perspective walk cycle in 3D for some reason......

So I decided to make one here.
Plus I think a tutorial is better when people can ask questions, Show there work, get feedback and over all just practice. This is what this thread is for.

Now bare with me as this will be a multi-post in order to properly cover everything.
here is a old technique we learned a wile ago.

Intro:
In order to learn perspective walk cycle. We must have knowledge of the following:
Basic knowledge of walk cycles.
Basic understanding of animation and skill.
Vanishing points.
Perspectives.

Before we start, Let me say this, There are many MANY ways to do this, This is just how I learned it. If you read, learned or figured out a different way, Please do post it up. but do not bash others...as we all learn and do things different to what works for us.

Step 1:
Blocking. (or boxing)

either one you need a good defense *bad-um dish*

One of the challenges to the perspective walk cycle is the fact is the character will get small to bigger, or bigger to smaller wile stilling having to have the same movement and flow. This can be the very thing that makes or breaks the cycle. To help keep things in portion and accurate, We create a Block or grid to help guide us.
Figure A:
As you can see, we have a basic guide for our character.
here we block out the size, mass and basic space of movement.
As you can see we have 3 parts. These will act as our guide,
Please note: This is not our cycle, Only the 3 extreme poses that will be used.

The box is used as our spacing. We know that the movement will be contained into this space (does not have to be perfect, But try to be as close as you can)
Next you will notice the Blue line. This is our guide for the head.
The Red line is our center mass.
Green being the knees (not as important as center-mass and head lines)

I know what your thinking "But this is not a perspective view, why do i have to do this??"
This part is very crucial in the perspective walk cycle. So it is very important to get step one down.
Later on as you get used to perspective walk cycles and used to this all, you will not have to draw out step one, because you can do it in your head (crazy huh? but true) but for now, draw it till you learn to love it sissy.

After we have our figure and extreme poses done, we will move on to step 2.

Drawing without thinking is just doodling, the brain and pen is connected.

PSN: SeoulSnake

BBS Signature

Response to How to: Perspective walk cycle 2010-02-12 09:03:49

Step Two:
Here is where the knowledge of perspective and vanishing point come into play.
As you can see, All of our Boxes and lines are back, But this time in 3D!!!!.
Ok no not 3D just on a perspective. From here we use these lines as a guide to help us stay on target.
The Head, Center-Mass and Knee line are still in proportion to what they was in figure A, But they are now going to the vanishing point of the horizon.
Also the box's we drew in figure A are also still the same size, Just on a perspective.

Now in each box, You will start to put down your cycle.
You will notice each box, there will be some over lapping, This is fine as you will need to do so in your animation anyways.
Depending on your scene and action this can be animated anywhere from the horizon or just a small part.
This also works for movement. You CAN move the horizon and view, But that is a bit more advanced technique and I want keep thing simple.

Some Tips:
Do not be afraid to add more guide lines then what is here in the tutorial.
This is animation, And no one rule will apply, Also do not forget when reading this, You are still doing a walk cycle, So do it the same way you normally do, Do NOT change your style just for one tutorial, Just apply the principles here.

I often find it helps me to draw the horizon then the most front image first, Then do my perspective lines.
From there i work backwards, But everyone is different. Try and do what works best for you.

Also note that if you are doing this in flash or another animation program, Try not to zoom in to much as you go to the horizon, If you add to much detail towards the vanishing point (not only do you defeat the purpose of the name) but it will look just awful. Try to stay at certain zoom when doing this, and use your shadows and colors to make up the difference.

This works for anything from animals to cars, so do not think you have to only do humans walking.

BBS Signature

Response to How to: Perspective walk cycle 2010-02-12 09:15:53

I forgot to add that these are just key poses, You will need to add inbetweens of course.

BBS Signature

Response to How to: Perspective walk cycle 2010-02-12 13:12:02

You can read that in the Animators Survival Kit

Animator/Artist for hire.

BBS Signature

Response to How to: Perspective walk cycle 2010-02-12 13:52:01

At 2/12/10 01:12 PM, Skrupsakken wrote: You can read that in the Animators Survival Kit

and probably in a lot of if not all not all books on animations.
But this is how I learned it, and made a tread on it. to discuss and play around.

So tired of hearing about that fucking book, Its good but its not the end all be all of animation, or even animation books. Its a culmination of his years and learning from OTHERS.

BBS Signature

Response to How to: Perspective walk cycle 2010-02-12 14:38:01

At 2/12/10 01:52 PM, Ani-x wrote: So tired of hearing about that fucking book, Its good but its not the end all be all of animation, or even animation books. Its a culmination of his years and learning from OTHERS.

Lol, I was just stating that you'd be able to read it in the book?:P

Animator/Artist for hire.

BBS Signature

Response to How to: Perspective walk cycle 2010-02-12 18:11:35

Nice tutorial Ani-x. Perspective walks/runs are quite difficult to master, and can be quite frustrating if you don't know what you're doing.

Also haha, I knew somebody was going to tell you it was in TASK

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren