00:00
00:00

Writing Forum Lounge

160,109 Views | 2,397 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-04-19 12:03:27


At 4/19/13 01:21 AM, Blue-SilverDragon wrote: has anyone had a dream where ...

Holy shit.

Yes! This has happened to me a few times.

I used to be really good at remembering my dreams. When I was in high school, I experimented with lucid dreaming. I would set an alarm to wake me up in the middle of the night; I'd make myself stay awake for about twenty minutes before falling back asleep. Somehow, this encouraged lucid dreams and also helped me to remember my dreams - lucid or not.

But now I hardly remember my dreams. It's really annoying, because I still have relatively vivid dreams practically every night. I'm usually thinking about writing before I go to bed, which I feel like is partially why my dreams occasionally involve writing.

Bah.


Click here and we'll become good friends.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-04-19 22:24:13


At 4/19/13 12:03 PM, Seasons wrote:

:I'm usually thinking about writing before I go to bed

Same here- I find that thinking about writing helps me get to sleep a lot better/quickly. Sometimes, I even come up with content, which I have to make note of before I lose thought of it.


"I am a part of all that I have met."- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-04-21 13:39:27


Hi, I'm new here and my name's Ilumnia. I'm currently re-writing all my old stories and strugling badly with it. I have a problem where as soon as I start writing, be it the story or just a note, I'd always end up running away from the way I want the story to be. Can someone please tell me how am I suppose to avoid this?


Always smile no matter the difficulties faced

http://ichixaki.blogspot.com/

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-04-26 06:07:26


Does anyone know if we have a "Writing Review Request" thread here? Something like the Audio advertisement thread where people can shamelessly advertise their stuff and are encouraged to review others' work so that others can pay back the favor.

Because as Deathcon7 pointed out before, I think the biggest problem we have here is everyone is posting their stories, and are sad that they aren't getting feedback, and instead of just sitting around everyone can give the other feedback.

At 4/21/13 01:39 PM, Ilumnia wrote: Hi, I'm new here and my name's Ilumnia. I'm currently re-writing all my old stories and strugling badly with it. I have a problem where as soon as I start writing, be it the story or just a note, I'd always end up running away from the way I want the story to be. Can someone please tell me how am I suppose to avoid this?

Welcome to the writing forum Ilumnia!

I've always had that, but I don't refer to it as a problem. I think it's exciting that I can start a story, and never know how it ends!

I think it might be a good idea though, to delineate a plot that you want your story to follow. A basic outline of the shape, of what should happen where and when. Like designing the frame of a cup, and then filling it with water (the water being the actual writing and descriptions and characters)

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-04-26 12:07:23


At 4/26/13 06:07 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: Does anyone know if we have a "Writing Review Request" thread here? Something like the Audio advertisement thread where people can shamelessly advertise their stuff and are encouraged to review others' work so that others can pay back the favor.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1295117

Because as Deathcon7 pointed out before, I think the biggest problem we have here is everyone is posting their stories, and are sad that they aren't getting feedback, and instead of just sitting around everyone can give the other feedback.

The problem is that people are offering empty gestures. I've seen so many new users post in this thread saying that they want to get involved, they want to contribute, they want to integrate into the community. What this has come to mean is that they have such a high opinion of their writing we can't possibly not appreciate their value. So when they immediately post two or three threads of their writing, and receive little to no attention, they slink away with their proverbial tails tucked between their legs.

When I started the above thread I expected people would be proactive and the thread would carry itself. The premise was simple: if you critique someone else's work, you're guaranteed at least one review of your own, more than likely from me. It was win-win. You contribute, you get rewarded. Unfortunately people didn't read the rules and all the side commentary derailed the thread.

I still have faith the method can work, but it needs to be conducted in a controlled environment. For example: Lit101. If someone doesn't read the rules, or feels compelled to make an unrelated comment, it can be removed. Not so much on the forum. Until users, as a whole, learn to read and follow instructions, the forum isn't a good medium for this. Also, if people know to go to Lit101 for requesting reviews, it'll increase awareness of the userpage and ultimately its usefulness.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-04-27 09:56:55


At 4/26/13 12:07 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: The problem is that people are offering empty gestures. I've seen so many new users post in this thread saying that they want to get involved, they want to contribute, they want to integrate into the community. What this has come to mean is that they have such a high opinion of their writing we can't possibly not appreciate their value. So when they immediately post two or three threads of their writing, and receive little to no attention, they slink away with their proverbial tails tucked between their legs.

I can see what you mean, and I do likewise have faith that this work.

What about making it extremely simple? While it's true that for an aspiring writer, the least you would expect is for them to actual read a couple of rules of the opening post, but this is Newgrounds. I don't say that as a bad thing. New writers are usually people coming from different areas of the website and want to give this writing thing a shot.

What if we were to restart this Writing Review Request thread, with one simple rule. You can post your work here to be critiqued. That's it.

You wouldn't be forced to review someone else before posting, but naturally, you most likely won't receive much attention if you just sit around waiting. And if we say it's okay to post at the end of your review "Please check out my story here" after reviewing someone else, then the whole thing could carry itself as a practice even if the review request thread sinks into oblivion again.

And I think we don't need to try making a system where we keep track of how many stories you reviewed, so you get that amount of reviews back, because I've never seen it work, even with games or movies.

How I'm imagining it is that as you become an active reviewer, even if some people don't return the favor right away, others would be more likely to review your work because they know you would return the favor.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-05-07 14:06:39


Lit101: Journal Brainstorm

We need a journal. Seriously. With various users being able to contribute short essays offering advice, encouragement, victories, failures, recommendation of resources, and maybe even an advice column. Lit101 would be the perfect way to facilitate it.

The thought sprung up this morning when I was thinking of "Magic" and how it correlates to Physics. I was hacking away at the thought during my morning commute, and when I arrived at work I thought: "I should share this with the Others!" Then I came here and realized there really isn't any targeted medium to deliver the information, nor any way to really invite discussion.

"But Deathcon," you might say to me. "That's why Tom created forumz!"

To which I'll respond, after rolling my eyes and shrugging, "I've tried making a thread to start a discussion. One may recall Misogyny and Media. mhzinski, may he rest in peace, was the only one that formed an opinion and bothered to contribute to the conversation. The discussion quickly degenerated into an argument, however, of which I take partial responsibility. It's something we need to work on, being able to carry an intelligent discussion. This is in addition to getting writers their critique."

I'm digressing.

Magic and Physics

Ask a person, an average John/Jane, what physics is, or the first thing they think of when they hear the word, and I assure you it's gravity.

Ask a general what Physics is and he'll probably say something along the lines of it helping to make bigger bombs.

Ask a physics teacher what physics is, and when they're done grading papers, they'll oblige by providing various and sundry equations.

Ask a philosopher what physics is and before long you'll be arguing the nature of space and time, existence, and the universe.

Ask a physicist what physics is and their answer will be very complex, yet very incomplete.

There are so many ways to frame an understanding of Physics, but zero ways of truly understanding it. Nearly three millennia of study and we only recently discovered proof of the Higgs Boson. Nearly three millennia of study and we only recently discovered exoplanets. Nearly three millennia of study and we're only now cracking the surface of nanotechnology, quantum computing, virtual reality.

Magic has to work the same way. Your character understands it, this fictional science, through the limited scope of their application of it. But even as the world, as a whole, continues to push the boundary, there is still much to uncover.

The best types of magics are the ones about which a reader can theorize. Magics that have a central structure, a tenuous central identity, but expand in either direction. Like a character, a good magic system must have an arc of understanding.

The most effective arc, because it offers the most change and the most conflict between start and end, is the inversion. With regard to magic consider this: the power being used is actually your own future strength. Now, imagine the impact on a character when, after a large battle and an immense exertion of power, they discover they've effectively shortened their lifespan to a handful of years or months. It's sweet, sweet irony. Fighting for survival is what kills them. You also open up the incentive for a quest and set up questions to be answered. How can this be undone? What can be done to survive long enough to learn? What is this magic? Where does it come from? Where can information be found? Why is the magic the way it is? These questions lead to deeper questions. Questions of milieu. Not really the point of this, but definitely a benefit of this train of thought.

So what happens when the character learns they draw power through metaphysical conduits? What if their default affinity is their own power conduit, but they can pull from other conduits. Now, their magic can be powered using the energy of their enemies. And, what's more, they can refill their own power, indefinitely, granting them relative immortality. And lo, the longer their conduit is at capacity, the stronger their ability to channel the energy. So now they're effectively immortal, growing stronger by the day. Then you invert their situation again, remove their individuality and make them the weakest. When they reach the pinnacle of that, then take their power away, let them grow strength of character. Which, admittedly, is not magic, but is a type of magic: magic-less.

What I'm getting at, and I hope I didn't over do it with the setup, is that Magic, like everything else, needs to be three dimensional. There needs to be a depth to it that only grows as the story does. And that depth cannot be limited to the start and end of a story. It needs to grow beyond the pages and lend a sense of wonder to the reader. Magic shouldn't just be the fireballs flung from the fingers, or the super high jump just when a super high jump is needed. More often than not, that casual use of Magic only creates plot holes.

One of my favorite examples of how NOT to do magic: The Force. Star Wars handles the force pretty badly. I've yet to read a Star Wars novel, or watch a Star Wars movie, or play a Star Wars game, that handled the Force well. Why in some situations is it used, and not in others? I was watching the Clone Wars cartoon one day. Obi Wan was chasing a terrorist. He was maybe twenty feet behind this guy. Now, Obi Wan can Force Push, so he can more than likely Force Pull. But he doesn't. And the guy jumps a ledge to his death and they can't interrogate him. Why? Plot hole.

Disclaimer: I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but I'm not so blinded I can't see its flaw. As a fan I simply accept them. But I shouldn't have to!

If you've read Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicle you'll see an amazing use of magic. The magic feels like magic even though Rothfuss explains equivalent exchange, conservation of energy, the mental Alar, Sygaldry, and the nuances of Naming. The Magic deepens with the story. It's a master study of what I'm trying to, in my own verbose way, explain.

Read it. I'm stopping here. I've been slowly writing this post over the course of the day and need to focus on other things.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-05-07 18:47:29


How does one stay aware of the writing competitions and deadlines? I'm not really sure how people are notified of contests and whatnot, but I do want to be involved in the next (or next next) one that is held.

Thanks,
#newbie

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-05-09 01:18:44


Hey guys, kinda new here...Name's Tony aka Tony the Gamer Dad. I wrote this story over 15 years ago and was wondering what everyone thought...

The Curse of the Dracon

The air was cold and crisp as John Imazai began to head out toward the fishing holes. The village elders had warned him not to go out on this day but he was in desperate need of food for his family. So as the remainder of his tribe prepared for the upcoming storm John braved the harsh cold of the Alaskan wilderness to find food for his family. He traveled beyond the outskirts of the village and past the frozen lakes. He continued until he came upon the fishing grounds of his ancestors.

John fished for hours as the winds became harsh and nearly unbearable. John had caught almost twenty fish of great size when he felt he had caught his fill. He couldn�t wait to see his wife and children and show them the bounty of his efforts. He looked forward to showing off his haul to the elders whom had told him that bad fortune would befall him on this trip. So it was with a joyous heart that John set back for his village. The winds were now full of ice and snow making seeing nearly impossible. John knew he had to find shelter and settled on a small cave he spied in the distance.

The interior of the cave was filled with the bones of dead Eskimos, and the walls were drenched in there blood. The cave was also full of claw marks all along the cave walls and floor. After seeing this John knew that he had the unfortunate luck to come upon the lair of the Dracon. It was this beast that devours one from the inside that filled even the hardiest warrior with fear. The legends say that to meet one was to stare at death itself and as such no one alive knew what it looked like. John hurriedly looked about but he saw no creature stirring within sight. Perhaps the Dracon is out hunting, he thought to himself as he prepared to exit the cave. As soon as he stepped outside the wind cut through him like a hot knife through warm butter and he knew he would not survive an hour outside of his cavernous shelter. He decided he would stay inside until the storm broke and then leave before the Dracon returned.

How was he to know when the storm would subside or when the Dracon would show up? These are questions he could not answer. So he decided to wait by the cave entrance until the storm broke. He also decided that it was too risky to sleep as it might stop while he was asleep leaving him easy prey for the returning beast. He knew he must be ready within a moments notice so he stood there looking out into the distance waiting for the storm to yield. The minutes soon turned to hours and he began to grow increasingly hungry. He was prepared to build a fire and eat some of his catch when he realized that the storm could break as he ate. He also came to realize that if it didn�t subside as he ate it could afterward and he would be too sluggish from eating to react fast enough to leave before the beast returned. So there he stood waiting for the storm to break. As he stood there he felt the heaviness of his gear and coat increase. Knowing this could slow him down he took it all off until he stood there in only a pair boots, a pair of pants and a shirt. He then continued to stand and wait.

As time past John grew more and more frantic. His lack of sleep and food weighed upon his mind and he knew he might succumb to either one at any time. He then devised a most ingenious plan. John would dig his way out of the cave. So he began to scratch and scrape at the walls to little success. His only accomplishment was to rip the flesh from his fingers as he left bloody marks on the walls and floor. After many failed attempts he resumed his earlier task of standing and waiting. Hour after hour he stood and waited.

After several days the winds stopped swirling snow and ice about. The air became calm and the temperature came up to a cool 30 degrees. The villagers found John dead inside of a cave less than a mile outside of town. His body was withered and dry. The local coroner would rule his death a weather related accident, but the towns people knew the truth. John had become a victim of the Dracon.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-05-09 17:32:43


At 5/7/13 02:06 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: Lit101: Journal Brainstorm

We need a journal. Seriously. With various users being able to contribute short essays offering advice, encouragement, victories, failures, recommendation of resources, and maybe even an advice column. Lit101 would be the perfect way to facilitate it.

First off, I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write this gigantic post.

I've never put that much thought into how or why I could magic in a story, and what its effects could be. Frankly, ever since I've stumbled into the writing forum my focus has been on improving my writing style, vocabulary and use of words, and not so much on plot mechanics.

I especially love the Star Wars example, I think that made it really clear.

I took another look at the Lit101 account, and I have no idea why we haven't been promoting it more as a collective. I can really see it being the go-to blog of the writing forum, that every new poster gets pointed to, and it would have a newspost as an archive/landing page, linking to all the posts, all nicely categorized.

I'm curious, how do you imagine this journal would work? Would it be like an open-ended discussion as a forum thread? Or more of a closed submission kind of thing where you feature articles/posts on the Lit101 account? Maybe we could even reincarnate flash novels and submit a couple of such entries to the portal? Would be an attractive way to read the journal for sure! (And would probably be a fun project!)

I think there's a lot of things we can do to push the writing forum forward. We're all doing this voluntarily, and it may be slow, but I think we're getting there, and we can get back the old spirits of the lively writing forum, and maybe even more.

Perhaps we could have even more interactive activities for the writing forum? Things to get people more involved or even working together. They don't have to be complicated, and would have a low barrier to entry. Maybe the Lit101 occasionally has like, something where users can ask questions about writing? Or a small prompt poses an interesting question and users try to answer it? Maybe a small arbitrary prize is given as an incentive?

I don't know, just some thinking out loud. Maybe even something like the classic flash collabs. That game where each user adds a paragraph to the story? I'm not sure if that's a very serious writing exercise, but it's definitely fun!

At 5/9/13 01:18 AM, TonytheGamerDad wrote: Hey guys, kinda new here...Name's Tony aka Tony the Gamer Dad. I wrote this story over 15 years ago and was wondering what everyone thought...

Hey Tony! Welcome to the writing forum! I'm always excited to see new faces!

The lounge is more for general chit-chat, so feel free to make a new thread and post your story asking for criticism. As you might have read above, we're trying to encourage users to swap feedback. A good idea I think would be to post your thread, and then go around giving some feedback to other people's stories, and asking if they liked your criticism, if they could return the favor.

At 5/7/13 06:47 PM, Jojiro wrote: How does one stay aware of the writing competitions and deadlines? I'm not really sure how people are notified of contests and whatnot, but I do want to be involved in the next (or next next) one that is held.

Thanks,
#newbie

Usually there is a contest every month, or every other month or so. When a new contest is announced, a thread is made here, Tom announces it on the front page, and it will also be on the homepage, on the top left where there is a little calender of upcoming events. So if you visit Newgrounds every couple days you should stumble upon it quite easily.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-05-13 06:26:29


Because I have no other place where I may "force" other people to ignore, much less read, some of my unbridled, incessant rambling, I will do so here - the fact that I could write up another news post notwithstanding, I do not feel the urge to do so again. Yes, this entire post will be off-topic, however you wish to define on-topic.

Writing has always been something that I started to do during my spare time on the weekends in which no game would satiate my desire to rid myself of bordeom - it happens seldomly, but when it does I can find myself typing for at least an hour straight, whilst listening to some sort of Goa trance, about nothing in particular. Though the topics about which I find myself writing vary in small amounts, the actual thing which I am trying to accomplish by doing so is finding a way to collectivise my scattered thoughts into a small, constrained portion of the web for "all" to see. Yes, I both want people to read it and do not want them to at the same time.

I want people to read because, yes, I have just spent the last hour or two of my life sitting infront of my computer doing nothing but pouring out my thoughts and would just like some confirmation that it had not all been for naught; no, I do not want people to read them because the whole point of my starting to write was for myself and myself alone - whoring the text out to anyone does nothing but contradict the original point with which I started to write, making myself nothing by hyppocritical, I feel. Even posting in this topic can be considered a cry of, "Look at me! Look at me! Look what I am doing!"

But I digress; when I look at the writing forum, the majority of topics I see are ones that deal with the kind in which I most have weakness. All I see are various compilations of people's poetry, stories, and &c. Every time I have tried to write myself a story to see how well I can do it, I find that it is not much better than if a primary school child had written it. Poetry is much the same; for lack of an expansive vocabulary and a much convoluted prose style, I may take about twenty minutes to write a single stanza which, too, feels as if I am only a baby.

One aspect of us, humans, is that we want to be able to do things; we want to be able to accomplish certain goals, yet, when we see the amount of time it will take and how much farther we have to go down the long, winding road of experience, trials, and tribulations, we despair in ourselves and give up. Some people say that they want to lose weight, yet give up after, perhaps, a week or so because they are not getting any results. Some people want to become better artists and stop after a few days because they think their art is horrendous. The people whom you see that do draw fantastically, the people whom you see that have lost weight all had one thing in common - they all worked for ages without giving up.

My writing is more akin to the first type of person. After all, it is only the most common type we have on our planet, and I am far from being out of the ordinary. So when I find dissatisfaction in the aforementioned type of writing, I regress to in what I am "best." That is to say, the only thing I could write "well" for hours at a time would be expository writing on any subject, though it most notably contains more opinions and personal anecdotes than anything else. Yes, the same sort of self-centred writing whose only theme is myself - the very same that is found within this post. I do not think I have tried, recently, to actually write on subjects other than my personal thoughts - I know not about what I should. Maybe it, too, will become like my storytelling i.e, a level almost entirely, but not quite, unlike a primary schooler. Actually, no; that last sentence was a blatant rip off of a well known series, and I should be ashamed for copying it so for lack of originality on my part.

So I might ask the people who read this thread a question. Is there any place in this forum or any topic which you can give to me that is suited for what, I think, I can write? Even though I feel I have still explained it unclearly, I still feel like I should ask.

Though I feel the "zeal" with which I have "interest" at this moment is only a transient feeling which will, inevitably, fade away into obscurity into the back of my mind until that day comes again where I feel nothing but the highest echelons of boredom to the degree that I feel like unleashing upon my "friends" and onto the world terrible, self-absorbed written works through which no one, not even the worst person imaginable, should have to suffer; I can say, with no doubt in my mind, that they would not even suffer its reading at all.

I feel like Kankri.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-05-13 13:22:58


At 5/13/13 06:26 AM, Letiger wrote: Because I have no other place where I may "force" other people to ignore, much less read, some of my unbridled, incessant rambling, I will do so here - the fact that I could write up another news post notwithstanding, I do not feel the urge to do so again. Yes, this entire post will be off-topic, however you wish to define on-topic.

It's a lounge because anyone can add to the conversation. Just do us all a favor and buy a drink first.

Writing has always been something that I started to do during my spare time on the weekends in which no game would satiate my desire to rid myself of bordeom - it happens seldomly, but when it does I can find myself typing for at least an hour straight, whilst listening to some sort of Goa trance, about nothing in particular.

Brevity is the soul of wit according to Bill Shakespeare. A very important lesson to learn if you want to improve your textual communication. Another lesson: realize your thought before you commit it to words. The complex clause quoted, commodious to a convoluted idea, is a conflated, conflicted cacophony.

Though the topics about which I find myself writing vary in small amounts, the actual thing which I am trying to accomplish by doing so is finding a way to collectivise my scattered thoughts into a small, constrained portion of the web for "all" to see. Yes, I both want people to read it and do not want them to at the same time.

The first concession an artist must make is audience. If you write for yourself, be satisfied with that. If you write for others, then be satisfied with that. Being in between only makes you pretentious. Take off those frames, Letiger, the lenses are non-prescription.

I want people to read because, yes, I have just spent the last hour or two of my life sitting infront of my computer doing nothing but pouring out my thoughts and would just like some confirmation that it had not all been for naught; no, I do not want people to read them because the whole point of my starting to write was for myself and myself alone - whoring the text out to anyone does nothing but contradict the original point with which I started to write, making myself nothing by hyppocritical, I feel. Even posting in this topic can be considered a cry of, "Look at me! Look at me! Look what I am doing!"

The crux of your conflict. Most artists require some level of validation. Until your ego reaches a point where self-satisfaction is sufficient sustentation, you will always seek attention. It's natural. Accept it.

But I digress; when I look at the writing forum, the majority of topics I see are ones that deal with the kind in which I most have weakness. All I see are various compilations of people's poetry, stories, and &c. Every time I have tried to write myself a story to see how well I can do it, I find that it is not much better than if a primary school child had written it. Poetry is much the same; for lack of an expansive vocabulary and a much convoluted prose style, I may take about twenty minutes to write a single stanza which, too, feels as if I am only a baby.

The average skill of a user here is not something to which you want to strive. If that's the yardstick against which you measure yourself, your sights are set very low. Sadly so. They're all in your same situation.

Writing takes time. If it takes you twenty minutes to write a stanza, you're doing it wrong. A poem is a complete entity. How long does it take you to write the entire poem? How many revisions do you perform? How long does that all take? If you're interested in measuring time lapsed, that'll be the better figure.

In the end, it's as useless as measuring how long your shits take you. It'll be different every time.

One aspect of us, humans, is that we want to be able to do things; we want to be able to accomplish certain goals, yet, when we see the amount of time it will take and how much farther we have to go down the long, winding road of experience, trials, and tribulations, we despair in ourselves and give up. Some people say that they want to lose weight, yet give up after, perhaps, a week or so because they are not getting any results. Some people want to become better artists and stop after a few days because they think their art is horrendous. The people whom you see that do draw fantastically, the people whom you see that have lost weight all had one thing in common - they all worked for ages without giving up.

Don't be so quick to generalize humanity, or simplify our pursuits into so conveniently palatable an argument.

My writing is more akin to the first type of person...

You lack ambition, you lack confidence, and you expect more from yourself because you have an inflated self-opinion. You're immature. But so is everyone else here. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here, we'd be "writing." You're no different than the majority of aspiring writers. When you stop trying to label yourself, and instead focus on your craft, you will progress.

It should also be noted that your pseudo-academic voice is not unique. Everyone uses it. I've used it for most of this post. I mean, I'm trying to prove a point here. I hope I have. You want to stack odds in your favor? Drop the farce and use your own, natural voice.

So I might ask the people who read this thread a question. Is there any place in this forum or any topic which you can give to me that is suited for what, I think, I can write? Even though I feel I have still explained it unclearly, I still feel like I should ask.

Write what you want. There are no quick and dirty secrets to writing. It's a journey of self for the betterment of others. Whatever the hell that means.

Though I feel the "zeal" with which I have "interest" at this moment is only a transient feeling...

Write for the need of it, not the want of it. If you have a story that you really want to tell-- tell it. Don't use writing as a pretense for artistry. Don't mistake an elevated diction or complex syntax for "writing." All of that, it's the verb of it. What you're lacking is the art of it. Find the art, however you can, and go from there.

I feel like Kankri.

Learn to feel like yourself and you'll be part way there.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-05-13 13:42:28


At 5/13/13 06:26 AM, Letiger wrote:
So I might ask the people who read this thread a question. Is there any place in this forum or any topic which you can give to me that is suited for what, I think, I can write? Even though I feel I have still explained it unclearly, I still feel like I should ask.

Though I feel the "zeal" with which I have "interest" at this moment is only a transient feeling which will, inevitably, fade away into obscurity into the back of my mind until that day comes again where I feel nothing but the highest echelons of boredom to the degree that I feel like unleashing upon my "friends" and onto the world terrible, self-absorbed written works through which no one, not even the worst person imaginable, should have to suffer; I can say, with no doubt in my mind, that they would not even suffer its reading at all.

I feel like Kankri.

From your writing, I see of lot of honesty and feeling, but no organization. A writer needs to find a balance in his or her ego in which he realizes that his words are important enough for other people to spend time on while not asking the reader to strain in order to understand the organization of the writer's mind. You seem aware that you are doing this. The question is, are you willing to change how you write so that people can access your material more easily?

I'd like you to see you try some creative non-fiction in which the subject is not yourself. Take an interview you conduct with a friend or family member. Try to create a story out of the real world, but from the perspective of someone else. I bet this would help extend yourself as a writer.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-05-14 04:49:00


Hello, my name is YellowisCOOL. (My real name is Joy.)
Well, ever since I was in kindergarten I've been interested in being an author and an illustrator. I used to write small picture books and give them to my parents. It's something that I have always done and I've been told by my parents, teachers and some friends that I'm a good writer and right now I'm working on two story ideas! I hope I get to write a book along with pictures of the main characters because I also love drawing.
This year I also got a REALLY good grade on a writing test I did recently for school, an in 2011 I got in the top 20% of New Zealand with another writing test I did.
So yeah, that's pretty much it!


Add me on Steam || I don't want your goddamn lettuce

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-05-14 11:26:40


Just found this site today from a friend, so far I'm really enjoying it and hope to make some friends and get some helpful criticism on my short stories and poems!

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-24 09:44:39


I'm currently working on two stories. A short about a real life supernatural event which happened to me and a continuation of a short story that I wrote a long time ago that I think I can adapt to be much longer, even maybe an attempt at a novel.


BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-24 14:11:46


Hi, I'm Laura, I'm 16 and I've had a passion for writing since I was really young. Even though I mostly write fanfiction, I'm currently working on some original projects, including a middle-length novel and a short but complex narration. I'm also fond of lyrics writing, but I'm not talented with music and my songs are usually nothing more than wordpad files that will never have a proper arrangement, even if I actually do have a melody in mind.
I can't wait to contribute in this forum, and meet you all!

Also, I should note that I'm Spanish. I try to use a wide range of vocabulary and expressions, but I can't be as verbose as you guys, and therefore, the literary quality might not match your expectations. If you found mistakes and pointed them out constructively, I would be very grateful, because I'm always willing to improve.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-24 14:53:08


I guess I'm new to the forum and should introduce myself but I really don't see it contributing to a discussion in any way. Just know that I'm not an English major but I am willing to review stories on request. I sometimes do it on my own but usually it's for pieces I particularly like or writing styles I enjoy. Oh, and I may ask to return the favor when I bring out a writing piece I've been working on for some time.

One thing I would like to bring up from an earlier discussion about trying to get reviews in for writing pieces is that why not do the simple solution and campaign for a Lit Portal? It would invite people who don't necessarily are writers themselves to review pieces, which I honestly find is the best criticism (though I can see how other people might disagree), as well as get a centralized location for submitting works. It would both realistically judge writers and showcase works well. Plus I could see collaboration between the Art forums and the Writing forums for cover art, bridging two sections of Newgrounds and encouraging more interaction.


Check out my profile for links to my writing. Also willing to review writing works on request.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-24 17:57:31


At 6/24/13 02:53 PM, Kylpault wrote: I guess I'm new to the forum and should introduce myself but I really don't see it contributing to a discussion in any way. Just know that I'm not an English major but I am willing to review stories on request. I sometimes do it on my own but usually it's for pieces I particularly like or writing styles I enjoy. Oh, and I may ask to return the favor when I bring out a writing piece I've been working on for some time.

Welcome. Pleasantries are never discouraged. I'm an English Major as well. Have studied mostly short form. Looking to take some 3000 level courses on longer form and screenplays. Looking to write for primarily for screen or video games. I love novels, but writing for visual media captures my attention more so than novel writing.

Your turn. We're trying to build a community here. The more people understand each others' interests, the better. For example, if you hate poetry, I'm not going to ask your opinion on a classical sonnet I wrote about a summer fling in '05.

One thing I would like to bring up from an earlier discussion about trying to get reviews in for writing pieces is that why not do the simple solution and campaign for a Lit Portal? It would invite people who don't necessarily are writers themselves to review pieces, which I honestly find is the best criticism (though I can see how other people might disagree), as well as get a centralized location for submitting works. It would both realistically judge writers and showcase works well. Plus I could see collaboration between the Art forums and the Writing forums for cover art, bridging two sections of Newgrounds and encouraging more interaction.

At some point you have to separate idealism from reality. We've tried campaigning. We gave up on campaigning. The fact of the matter is that a writing community on Newgrounds will not survive without proper context. There are plenty of writers here. Plenty of people who can't do anything else so they figure they'd "just write." Giving these people a focal aspect of this site to express themselves sounds great on paper, but will turn into a horrible monster if enacted. At least for the moment. The real objective is not to get a portal, but to organize a community around writing, that contributes to the website as a whole. If we can do that, then recognition will come eventually. If not, we'll be waiting forever for the Lit portal. And when we finally do get it, it'll be a horribly convoluted affair where everyone submits but doesn't want to read a thing.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-24 18:29:50


I actually said I'm not and English major.

The space between here and above is to allow you time to facepalm. No offense.

My reading tastes? I prefer more modern fiction, I'm not too big on the "hidden meanings" of stories from classical works or even some 20th century and earlier pieces. While mastery of words and the ability to present a plot right through flow and whatever does matter, it seems to not reflect the true core of the piece.

I've recently made the switch to writing scripts because, well they fit my taste better. I do eventually hope to become a 3D Designer in the future and possibly even an animator or game developer so I see stories in my head as an animation or movie.

And regarding your argument on the Lit Portal, I see a lot of frustration in your words. Although I wasn't here for the campaign for a portal I can tell it didn't go so well. I only mentioned it because I saw a comment Tom made on a news post that suggested a Lit Portal would have a purpose, at least that's how I interpreted it.


Check out my profile for links to my writing. Also willing to review writing works on request.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-24 19:02:21


At 6/24/13 06:29 PM, Kylpault wrote: I actually said I'm not and English major.

The space between here and above is to allow you time to facepalm. No offense.

Fair enough. It should be noted that I'm probably one of maybe two English majors. That being said, no need to worry you're in the minority, or that your opinion is in any way diminished.

My reading tastes? I prefer more modern fiction, I'm not too big on the "hidden meanings" of stories from classical works or even some 20th century and earlier pieces. While mastery of words and the ability to present a plot right through flow and whatever does matter, it seems to not reflect the true core of the piece.

Contemporary fiction tends to focus more on character than milieu, where classical fiction is the opposite. It's the reason why contemporary fiction seems more to the point and engaging.

I've recently made the switch to writing scripts because, well they fit my taste better. I do eventually hope to become a 3D Designer in the future and possibly even an animator or game developer so I see stories in my head as an animation or movie.

You'd be surprised how many authors visualize as well.

More to the point, are you an illustrator? If so, care to share some of your work?

And regarding your argument on the Lit Portal, I see a lot of frustration in your words. Although I wasn't here for the campaign for a portal I can tell it didn't go so well. I only mentioned it because I saw a comment Tom made on a news post that suggested a Lit Portal would have a purpose, at least that's how I interpreted it.

I am frustrated, but it's more about having to address the point of any sort of push toward a Lit portal, than bitterness over its arrested development. It's nothing against you specifically, I just like to take every opportunity I can, when I see "lit portal" in a post, to really drive home the fact that we need to build a community. Once we have a community that'll benefit Newgrounds as a whole, a Lit portal will add real value to the site. Until then, the Lit Portal stands to become so riddled with garbage and nonsense, and ineffectual due to a lack of readership, that investing the time in developing it is counter productive. I'm quite certain Tom et al have eyes on this place in anticipation of that time. Until then, other projects take priority.

You shouldn't feel like you can't share your work just because there's no portal. Make a thread for your writing, create a index on your user page, post printed .pdfs to the dumping grounds and share the link. There's quite a few options, but you'll want to make sure you put time into earning reciprocals. If you don't, your work will go largely ignored, unfortunately. I try to get things going for new comers, however, so feel free to PM me.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-24 22:04:51


Sadly I do not illustrate. I wish I could illustrate, it is a talent I appreciate. But developing I chose a full five fingers pencil grip eliminating any paper art route and I simply didn't have access to computer illustration techniques until recently and I have realized I do not have the patience for quality illustrations. Sure I could try illustrating, but why when I don't enjoy it as much as writing and I don't get as good a product? However I am looking to branch out and do some 3D Modeling and perhaps once I get the knowledge to use my program of choice best I can perhaps use that as an art tool.

I've contacted your review club on their thread with a review request and I'm now trying to be as active in the forums as possible as opposed to my previous strategy of trying not to clog the forum with my posts dominating all the threads. I still won't post in say a surrealist story looking for review (unless they review my work, then I return the favor no matter what) but I do try and be active in as many discussions as possible, as long as I have something worthwhile to say. I'm also considering creating a signature link to my work but I think I'll get a decent image first.

So yeah, I've been trying to be pro-active today. It's summer and I got a few weeks of nothing before stuff starts happening, which will be time dedicated to either writing or Newgrounds, or something else if anything comes up. Woo, no life!

P.S. Just published my first script! I think it's good but the longer I wait for a review the more my self confidence decreases. Does anyone else have the same problem?


Check out my profile for links to my writing. Also willing to review writing works on request.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-25 04:30:42


Well I'm working on a book about a girl with Telekinesis and flight powers. I'm hoping to publish it someday.
I just love writing and reading in general.


Add me on Steam || I don't want your goddamn lettuce

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-25 08:40:47


At 6/25/13 04:30 AM, YellowisCOOL wrote: Well I'm working on a book about a girl with Telekinesis and flight powers. I'm hoping to publish it someday.
I just love writing and reading in general.

Details? No need to give away all your work, but maybe a plot summery or outline?


Check out my profile for links to my writing. Also willing to review writing works on request.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-25 08:41:54


At 6/25/13 04:30 AM, YellowisCOOL wrote: Well I'm working on a book about a girl with Telekinesis and flight powers. I'm hoping to publish it someday.
I just love writing and reading in general.

Details? No need to give away all your work, but maybe a plot summery or outline?


Check out my profile for links to my writing. Also willing to review writing works on request.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-25 15:21:54


I've written a pretty tough piece on my news post - lost my Granddad on Sunday, which is pretty sad. I was actually thinking of writing something and submitting it to the family for the eulogy, see if I can get some of the details right and honour one of the bigger influences on my life, as we celebrate his life.


Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-26 00:21:57


At 6/25/13 08:41 AM, Kylpault wrote:
At 6/25/13 04:30 AM, YellowisCOOL wrote: Well I'm working on a book about a girl with Telekinesis and flight powers. I'm hoping to publish it someday.
I just love writing and reading in general.
Details? No need to give away all your work, but maybe a plot summery or outline?

Well, I'll say a little bit but like you said I won't give all the details away.
The girl is 16 years old and her name is Skylar Mason. She has had super powers since she was 4 and one day she finally snaps and attacks a girl called Dakota who has been bullying her for a long time. She gets captured by a secret government organization and finds out that they want to kill her.
You'll have to find out why they want to kill her and how they know about her if you read what I've written on wattpad so far. Tons of surprises along the way, plus she meets another telekinetic like her.


Add me on Steam || I don't want your goddamn lettuce

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-26 10:56:56


At 6/26/13 12:21 AM, YellowisCOOL wrote:
At 6/25/13 08:41 AM, Kylpault wrote:
At 6/25/13 04:30 AM, YellowisCOOL wrote: Well I'm working on a book about a girl with Telekinesis and flight powers. I'm hoping to publish it someday.
I just love writing and reading in general.
Details? No need to give away all your work, but maybe a plot summery or outline?
Well, I'll say a little bit but like you said I won't give all the details away.
The girl is 16 years old and her name is Skylar Mason. She has had super powers since she was 4 and one day she finally snaps and attacks a girl called Dakota who has been bullying her for a long time. She gets captured by a secret government organization and finds out that they want to kill her.
You'll have to find out why they want to kill her and how they know about her if you read what I've written on wattpad so far. Tons of surprises along the way, plus she meets another telekinetic like her.

My only advice would be to look over a post above about Physics/Magic, just so you aren't just enough generic girl-with-psychic-powers story. There needs to be a believable reason on why she developed psychic powers, maybe it doesn't need to be fully explained but if there is an entire government organization dedicated to killing her then the "condition" has got to be at least researched to some extent?

Just a little pet peeve of mine when modern/fantasy hybrids don't explain anything, or give a crappy explanation.


Check out my profile for links to my writing. Also willing to review writing works on request.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-27 01:05:08


At 6/26/13 10:56 AM, Kylpault wrote:
My only advice would be to look over a post above about Physics/Magic, just so you aren't just enough generic girl-with-psychic-powers story. There needs to be a believable reason on why she developed psychic powers, maybe it doesn't need to be fully explained but if there is an entire government organization dedicated to killing her then the "condition" has got to be at least researched to some extent?

Just a little pet peeve of mine when modern/fantasy hybrids don't explain anything, or give a crappy explanation.

I see what you mean. Well there's not going to be real reason how/why she got her powers but the setting of the story is in 2040, so the world is a bit trashed up with pollution, the government is messed up a bit, so mutations with human babies happen sometimes, but rarely. And I guess that's what happened to her. She caught a mutation/infection while she was in the womb and developed her powers at age 4, I don't really know actually.
There's definitely a good reason why the government want to kill her and know about her in the first place. But I can't say why/how because it's an important part of the book.


Add me on Steam || I don't want your goddamn lettuce

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-06-27 08:38:09


Hi, I'm Sebastian, and I do not consider myself to be a literary writer. I consider myself to be one of those strange nitches of writers that can only write cinematically. I have pictures in my head, but the idea that they can exist solely as word is the same to me as saying WE can exist solely as words.

That isn't to say that I don't read, not at all. I still prefer the written media over plenty of what I have seen. but that isn't solely because i like what I read. A lot of the time, i like the stuff because literature is a lot better at inspiring my own cinematic writing, which is in itself a strange comparison.

But since I have the floor, i'm going to throw some of my ideas and stories and see what you guys think.

One of my most recent (2 minutes ago) ideas is to make an Animated Musical that sympathises with the toils of Benedict Arnold. Why? Because i have never heard anything but disrespect for the man, when in truth, he has been dishonored by so many people, and that was before the war was even over, which only served to further dishonor him as time went on. And I feel that by representing him in his own animated film would be perfect.

Why animated? Because since I was young I have read comics and watched cartoons, even into my teen years. And when I see anyone discuss an animated show or film, they always give it praise for entertaining older audiences. Like it is miraculous that an animated media can be entertaining for anyone over the age of 13. I may not be an animator or an artist, but I sure as heck can write a good story for to make animated films more adult friendly.

Another story I am working on is the plot to a long and complex series of DC animated tv shows that continue to present themselves as a way to tell my own spin on the classic adventures of Batman, the Flash, etc. I really do enjoy writing tv shows as opposed to movies since movie plots are typically one note. Even if you manage to score the right to selling sequels or writing a trilogy, there will always be a clear date for when the movie will end. But when you make a tv series? the shows can be told for however long with however as many plot shifts and the story will potentially never end if given the right room to grow.

Is it odd that I am talking about writing cinematics in a forum typically filled with individuals who write poems and novels?