00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MovementalStudio just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Writing Forum Lounge

186,270 Views | 2,353 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-23 01:53:25

At 12/22/12 08:00 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote:
At 12/22/12 09:08 AM, Alina836 wrote: ...
Hey. Well, you're not the only person who enjoys poetry and focuses his or her efforts on poems rather than prose. As long as you spend time reading and commenting on other people's poetry, you'll be welcomed here.

I do read, I am horrible at critiquing though. I don't think it is fair for me to give pointers when my work is far from perfect.

"In my dreams, it's always there..The evil face that twists my mind and brings me to despair"

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-23 02:44:52

There's not much you need to do to give feedback. You don't have to give a full review, but it is important to support and encourage fellow writers and poets. This is especially true if you are a nascent writer/poet, since you need to be able to recognize what works and what doesn't, as well as familiarizing yourself with language and prosody.

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-26 08:47:12

noo deathcon don't go

Even if the Writing Forum has(sorry) utterly failed to gain any momentum as a hub for writers to critique, write, and teach, the forum is first and foremost a place of discussion! Where real, actual writers reside! A community! A place where everyone else knows what you're talking about! Personally, I can't imagine lurking anywhere else except this glorious haven of intelligent conversation! Everyone please stay!

At 12/7/12 10:31 PM, EKublai wrote: The best way to succeed in the writing world is to know other writers.

When I got outside, the purple fog was spreading. I covered my nose and mouth, and ran home.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-27 05:57:56

wipes crust from eyes, yawns

Hi guys! I think it's finally time I venture back to this site. Looks like I have a lot to learn and to catch up on. There has been crazy and amazing changes in my life that have gotten me to where I am today! I hope there are a lot of my old friends around.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-28 06:28:45

At 12/27/12 05:57 AM, Fro wrote:
Hi guys! I think it's finally time I venture back to this site. Looks like I have a lot to learn and to catch up on. There has been crazy and amazing changes in my life that have gotten me to where I am today! I hope there are a lot of my old friends around.

I'm still here, barely. Though I appear to be gearing up for a good run on the keyboard over the next few weeks / months, with the amount of inspiration that I've found, all of a sudden.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-30 09:29:06

At 12/28/12 06:28 AM, Coop wrote:
At 12/27/12 05:57 AM, Fro wrote:
I'm still here, barely. Though I appear to be gearing up for a good run on the keyboard over the next few weeks / months, with the amount of inspiration that I've found, all of a sudden.

I'm not motivated to come back more than to talk to people simply because I no longer use my computer and I can't watch flash or anything with my Ipad. As of writing though I've become slightly motivated. With the holidays about to be over and the new year starting I think I can make a resolution to start writing every day, even if just a little bit.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-30 13:09:10

It finally crossed my mind to become a member here.

I love to read and write, my favorite Authors having to be Steven King, Matthew Reily or Dan Brown

I have only wrote one major story that I put all my heart and effort into making (hopefully) quite a good read.
I will post it at some point in time soon.

Because I love to write I have also decided that I will become a journalist once I am out of school.

Apart from that there isn't much else I have to say, apart from I hope you will all like what I have to bring with me.

I am lovin' me some Retro Haze .

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-30 13:41:10

At 12/30/12 01:09 PM, twistex wrote: It finally crossed my mind to become a member here.

I love to read and write, my favorite Authors having to be Steven King, Matthew Reily or Dan Brown

I have only wrote one major story that I put all my heart and effort into making (hopefully) quite a good read.
I will post it at some point in time soon.

Because I love to write I have also decided that I will become a journalist once I am out of school.

Apart from that there isn't much else I have to say, apart from I hope you will all like what I have to bring with me.

Make sure you present it well. Proof-read, go through at least one draft, and maybe go so far as to use Google docs instead of the forum so the glitch typos don't show up.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-01 03:04:08

Well, I don't start my New Year's Resolutions until the 14th (just so I feel a little bit more motivated and not forced) but I'm thinking about writing more (I wrote every day in a journal for about 8 months); eating better (I stopped eating red meat for 1 year; I'm thinking about going vegetarian); working out more/dunk a basketball (I got close last time but I hurt my leg); and maybe going to sleep earlier. We remember what good ol' Ben Franklin said, right?

Anyway, take it easy fellas.

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-01 15:40:22

At 1/1/13 03:04 AM, DeftAndEvil wrote: dunk a basketball (I got close last time but I hurt my leg); and maybe going to sleep earlier. We remember what good ol' Ben Franklin said, right?

Anyway, take it easy fellas.

I technically dunked in high school but it was so weakly thrown down, I don't really count it. I do have some hilarious stories of my attempts though. The first time I grabbed rim with two hands I rotated like I was on a hinge and fell flat out on my back. I had one of those "Is my back broken, is it all over for me?" moments. Good times. I'm 6'2" so I have plenty of time to put the work in to increase my jump.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-09 23:02:36

Hey dudes. It's been a long time since my last visit. It's good to see there's still a small group of core members checking in on this forum from time to time.

I thought I should drop in and let you guys know I had my first book published in November. It was done through a small publisher in Portland, Oregon that I'd been following for the past couple of years. The book is called House Hunter, and it's up on Amazon (for Americans), Amazon UK (for British/European folks), and Book Depository (for everyone else).

I wouldn't have made it this far without you guys, so sincere thanks for that. If you guys ever want to shoot the shit, I'm always up for talking about writing, editing, publishing, and whatever state the industry seems to be in at the moment. As some of you (I assume) have similar goals to me, I recommend you just focus on writing for the fun of it, and scope out people and places that have similar interests to you. Get in with a good community, and you'll find a wealth of resources at your feet. Work hard enough, and people will notice.

Also, if any of you guys are interested in my book/willing to help me spread the word, I'll do what I can to make it worth your while. ;)

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-11 10:49:37

I'm out.

Peace.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-11 12:15:23

At 1/11/13 10:49 AM, mhzinski wrote: I'm out.

Peace.

>:(

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-11 22:27:12

At 1/9/13 11:02 PM, WritersBlock wrote: Hey dudes. It's been a long time since my last visit. It's good to see there's still a small group of core members checking in on this forum from time to time.

I thought I should drop in and let you guys know I had my first book published in November. It was done through a small publisher in Portland, Oregon that I'd been following for the past couple of years. The book is called House Hunter, and it's up on Amazon (for Americans), Amazon UK (for British/European folks), and Book Depository (for everyone else).

Just wanted to say congrats. Been trying sending some of my own poetry/short story submissions to a few mags, but not as much luck as of yet. I know I need to do some more plugging; but been I've busy with several projects larely.

"I am a part of all that I have met."- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-14 10:30:54

At 1/11/13 12:15 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote:
At 1/11/13 10:49 AM, mhzinski wrote: I'm out.

Peace.
>:(

T_T

When I got outside, the purple fog was spreading. I covered my nose and mouth, and ran home.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-15 21:28:48

At 1/11/13 10:27 PM, Blue-SilverDragon wrote:
At 1/9/13 11:02 PM, WritersBlock wrote: Hey dudes. It's been a long time since my last visit. It's good to see there's still a small group of core members checking in on this forum from time to time.

Just wanted to say congrats. Been trying sending some of my own poetry/short story submissions to a few mags, but not as much luck as of yet. I know I need to do some more plugging; but been I've busy with several projects larely.

Getting published is pretty much a matter of having the right material for the right publisher. I find it's good to keep busy with multiple projects, because if one story doesn't make an editor's cut, you can put it aside and focus on something else. Of course, it helps to keep a few stories aside until you find the right publisher/magazine. And it helps if you're familiar with the magazine and the editor. It's a huge help if you know what the editor is looking for in a submission. Write up a shit-storm, polish it up as much as you can, and try to find a home for it. Even if you don't get a story accepted right away, you may get a personalised rejection, which means your story was good, but not what they're looking for. The main thing is that you put in the time and effort, not only towards writing and editing your work, but also to scouting out the market and figuring out exactly what your place is within that market. Good luck! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-16 13:02:07

At 1/15/13 09:28 PM, WritersBlock wrote:
At 1/11/13 10:27 PM, Blue-SilverDragon wrote:

Getting published is pretty much a matter of having the right material for the right publisher. I find it's good to keep busy with multiple projects, because if one story doesn't make an editor's cut, you can put it aside and focus on something else. Of course, it helps to keep a few stories aside until you find the right publisher/magazine. And it helps if you're familiar with the magazine and the editor. It's a huge help if you know what the editor is looking for in a submission. Write up a shit-storm, polish it up as much as you can, and try to find a home for it. Even if you don't get a story accepted right away, you may get a personalised rejection, which means your story was good, but not what they're looking for. The main thing is that you put in the time and effort, not only towards writing and editing your work, but also to scouting out the market and figuring out exactly what your place is within that market. Good luck! :)

I understand- I haven't been doing as much scouting of publishers lately as I need to be doing. This is partly because of me wanting to getting several of my projects that I'm attending to right now to the point where I'm satisfied enough with them in context, character development, plot, etc to start looking for a publisher. I have submitted to a few mags in the past, and not as many as I need to of course, but what I have submitted to has been rejected. I still know that I'm going be rejected until I find the right place and time for my work. And with some personal experience as an editor for my university's annual lit mag, I have a better- if not wholly complete- understanding of what a mag's (or any publisher's) editorial team goes through.

"I am a part of all that I have met."- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-16 20:39:20

At 1/16/13 01:02 PM, Blue-SilverDragon wrote: I understand- I haven't been doing as much scouting of publishers lately as I need to be doing. This is partly because of me wanting to getting several of my projects that I'm attending to right now to the point where I'm satisfied enough with them in context, character development, plot, etc to start looking for a publisher. I have submitted to a few mags in the past, and not as many as I need to of course, but what I have submitted to has been rejected. I still know that I'm going be rejected until I find the right place and time for my work. And with some personal experience as an editor for my university's annual lit mag, I have a better- if not wholly complete- understanding of what a mag's (or any publisher's) editorial team goes through.

It sounds like you're on the right track. It doesn't really matter whether you scout out publishers for material you've already produced or you find publishers you like and go about producing material specifically for them. Definitely having editorial experience would be a huge advantage.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-18 15:55:01

Hmm, what's to say? Live in Northern Ireland and am interested in everything surrounding media. That being music, video games, films and books. When I write I either just do something completely stupid or something dead serious. In other words, my Bible of Food and my soon to come Piano Tuner couldn't contrast any more. We will see how active I am around here. Although it is nice to have somewhere to stick all my crap, even if people don't read it.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-20 10:43:35

Hi everyone Ive been scribbling for a while now but have only started to put my stuff online. Here http://attemptsatfiction.wordpress.com/
If anyone wants to take a look that would be awesome.

Im looking at moving into scripts and was wondering if any has any advice.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-22 17:12:34

Well, shit.

There I was, setting myself up for an evening of writing for an RP game that I'm running on Wednesday evenings and as I finish putting the touches to the interactive part of the dungeon (a paper cut-out, with spinning dials, to better help the players visualise stuff, despite the fact that I'm a god awful artist), my mind goes blank.

Seriously, I've got 10 rooms to work out before we start tomorrow evening and I have no idea how to make this work. I'm going to have to wing it and I feel like shit, because I'm going to let my players down...

Maybe they won't get there and I'll buy myself another week...

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 17:39:21

Just finished the first draft of the novel I started during Nanowrimo, and now it's on to editing! I was reading the posts up there, about publishing and the like, and had some thoughts/questions.

Does anybody have any experience with self publishing? Like through Amazon's createspace? I'm leaning towards that right now, but I was wondering if anybody else knew much about it. They give pretty good royalties, (at least if you sell it through your own estore) and if you go through Amazon and the kindle you've got a pretty big market....

Thoughts?

Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-31 02:32:08

At 1/29/13 05:39 PM, starwarsjunkie wrote: Just finished the first draft of the novel I started during Nanowrimo, and now it's on to editing! I was reading the posts up there, about publishing and the like, and had some thoughts/questions.

Does anybody have any experience with self publishing? Like through Amazon's createspace? I'm leaning towards that right now, but I was wondering if anybody else knew much about it. They give pretty good royalties, (at least if you sell it through your own estore) and if you go through Amazon and the kindle you've got a pretty big market....

Thoughts?

Self publishing, that's a pretty loaded topic. I think self publishing is better in concept than it is in action. On one hand, there is accessibility. On the other hand, the market is currently flooded with self published novels. Unless you have a knack for marketing or unless you strike it lucky with viral marketing, it probably won't get you far. I know some people who have said they'd only consider self publishing if they had something that is of a high enough quality that they could find a publisher for it, but for whatever reason they would prefer to control the editing, formatting and publication details themselves. And the marketing.

My mind is constantly changing on the thoughts of self publishing. I know authors who have self published short stories or short books that wouldn't be worth print publication, but are fine for a 99c ebook. I know other authors who do similar sorts of things but flood the market with dozens of short stories. And for them it feels kind of pointless. But it's a dynamic market, so I guess there's no accurate way of reading what's right or wrong at the moment.

It's difficult with submitting to a publication because you've done the hard work and then you've got to wait some time before you receive gratification for your work, where you want it out now so people can consume it now and it can go on to make millions. But I think it's the better way to go. Polish your work up, seek out publishers that are looking for your sort of manuscript and try your luck. Or try scouting out an agent. I don't think literary agents are as popular as they used to be, but that's another viable option.

I would say that if you're willing to hire a freelance editor to polish up your manuscript, hire an artist for your cover, and put in the work to properly format your work and make sure that once it's done it'll be seen in all the right places, then go for it. If not, and if you still want people to be able to read your work, would you be willing to put the novel (or at least part thereof) up online for free? But unless you have a strike of ridiculous good fortune and you get your book published with a major publisher and it sells much better than expected, you probably won't be making much money from your writing for a few years at least. That's just how the industry is.

But definitely, when it comes to self publishing, and even small press/indie publishers, Amazon is your friend.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-02-01 20:41:06

On a self-promotional note: I'm currently running a raffle/giveaway competition over on my blog.
I thought I'd bring it up here because I know you guys love books...

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-02-02 23:25:52

At 1/31/13 02:32 AM, WritersBlock wrote:
My mind is constantly changing on the thoughts of self publishing. I know authors who have self published short stories or short books that wouldn't be worth print publication, but are fine for a 99c ebook. I know other authors who do similar sorts of things but flood the market with dozens of short stories. And for them it feels kind of pointless. But it's a dynamic market, so I guess there's no accurate way of reading what's right or wrong at the moment.

It's difficult with submitting to a publication because you've done the hard work and then you've got to wait some time before you receive gratification for your work, where you want it out now so people can consume it now and it can go on to make millions. But I think it's the better way to go. Polish your work up, seek out publishers that are looking for your sort of manuscript and try your luck. Or try scouting out an agent. I don't think literary agents are as popular as they used to be, but that's another viable option.

I would say that if you're willing to hire a freelance editor to polish up your manuscript, hire an artist for your cover, and put in the work to properly format your work and make sure that once it's done it'll be seen in all the right places, then go for it. If not, and if you still want people to be able to read your work, would you be willing to put the novel (or at least part thereof) up online for free? But unless you have a strike of ridiculous good fortune and you get your book published with a major publisher and it sells much better than expected, you probably won't be making much money from your writing for a few years at least. That's just how the industry is.

But definitely, when it comes to self publishing, and even small press/indie publishers, Amazon is your friend.

Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to hire somebody to do a cover but I haven't decided if I'm going to hire an editor yet. I've still got a bunch of changes that I know I want to make so I'll wait until I've at least got it as good as I think I can get it on my own. I am having other people read to see what they think as well.

Maybe I'll see if I can get it picked up by somebody and if not, I'll self-publish.

Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-02-12 00:28:35

At 1/29/13 05:39 PM, starwarsjunkie wrote: Just finished the first draft of the novel I started during Nanowrimo, and now it's on to editing! I was reading the posts up there, about publishing and the like, and had some thoughts/questions.

Thoughts?

Well, the anthology was self-published, though the reason it's doing fine right now is that it's the only one of kind and a niche market item. I don't recommend most of the strategies I used, such as kickstarter, though I'm sure I handled it pretty well. I give myself credit for creative problem-solving.

I was talking to my friend about the future of publishing (and I'm currently taking a class on it) and we sort of came to an agreement that any e-book market is the best self-publishing channel to go through. It is total over-saturation, but I do believe that a no-name writer's best chance in the business is to be prolific and a self-promoter. In fact, I'm thinking of taking a bunch of copies of the NGA to a B&N, set up a desk with a "Book-signing" sign attached and just see what transpires. As a self-publisher you need to be as experimental and innovative in your marketing tactics as you are in the writing process itself.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-02-12 03:41:56

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting in this forum. For me, writing is somewhat sporadic, but I intend to post some of it here. So.. Should i just go ahead and create a new topic for myself? or are there specific threads like for short stories, scripts, etc?

nope, no sig.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-02-12 05:32:27

At 1/26/10 04:01 PM, Fro wrote: Feel free to chat among other regulars of the writing forum. If it's your first time posting then make sure you introduce yourself and tell us how writing has influenced your life.

-------------------------
I'm not sure if I have introduced myself before. If I have moderators should feel free to delete this post.-Ron
-----------------------
EMPLOYMENT-SOCIAL-ROLE POSITIONS: 1943-2013

2010-2013-Retired and on a pension in George Town, Tasmania
1999-2009-Writer & Author, Poet & Publisher, Editor & Researcher. Retired Teacher & Lecturer, Tutor & Adult Educator, Taxi-Driver & Ice-Cream Salesman, George Town Tasmania Australia
2002-2005-Program Presenter City Park Radio Launceston
1999-2004-Tutor &/or President George Town School for Seniors Inc
1988-1999 -Lecturer in General Studies & Human Services West Australian Department of Training
1986-1987 -Acting Lecturer in Management Studies & Co-ordinator of Further Education Unit at Hedland College in South Hedland WA
1982-1985 -Adult Educator Open College of Tafe Katherine NT
1981 -Maintenance Scheduler Renison Bell Zeehan Tasmania
1980-Unemployed due to illness and recovery
1979-Editor External Studies Unit Tasmanian CAE; Youth Worker Resource Centre Association; Lecturer in Organizational Behaviour Tasmanian CAE; Radio Journalist ABC---all in Launceston Tasmania
1976-1978 -Lecturer in Social Sciences & Humanities Ballarat CAE Ballarat, Victoria
1975 - Lecturer in Behavioural Studies Whitehorse Technical College, Box Hill Victoria
1974 -Senior Tutor in Education Studies Tasmanian CAE Launceston, Tasmania
1972-1973 -High School Teacher South Australian Education Dept.
1971-Primary School Teacher Whyalla South Australia
1969-1971 Primary School Teacher Prince Edward County Board of Education Picton Ontario Canada
1969-Systems Analyst Bad Boy Co Ltd Toronto Ontario
1967-68 -Community Teacher Department of Indian Affairs & Northern Development Frobisher Bay NWT Canada
1959-67 -Summer jobs-1 to 4 months each- from grade 10 to end of university
1949-1967 - Attended 2 primary schools, 2 high schools and 2 universities in Canada: McMaster Uni-1963-1966, Windsor TeachersâEUTM College-1966/7
1944-1963 -Childhood(1944-57) and adolescence(1957-63) in and around Hamilton Ontario
1943 to 1944-Conception in October 1943 to birth in July 1944 in Hamilton Ontario

2. SOME SOCIO-BIO-DATA TO 2012
I have been married twice for a total of 45 years. My second wife is a Tasmanian, aged 65. WeâEUTMve had one child: age 34. I have two step-children: ages: 46 and 41, three step-grandchildren, ages 18, 15 and 1, as well as one grandchild aged 6 months. All of the above applies in December 2012. I am 67, am a Canadian who moved to Australia in 1971 and have written several books--all available on the internet.

I retired from full-time teaching in 1999, part-time teaching in 2003 and volunteer teaching/work in 2005 after 32 years in classrooms as a teacher and another 18 as a student. In addition, I have been a member of the BahaâEUTMi Faith for 53 years. Bio-data: 6ft, 235 lbs, eyes-brown/hair-grey, Caucasian.

My website is found at: http://www.ronpriceepoch.com/ You can also go to any search engine and type: Ron Price followed by any one of a number of words in addition to: poetry, forums, religion, literature, history, bipolar disorder, psychology, sociology, philosophy, inter alia, to access my writing________________________

Married for 46 years, a teacher for 35, a writer and editor for 14, and a Baha'i for 54(in 2013)

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-02-12 21:15:19

Well. It's been forever since I've used Newgrounds... as in before the new site look, but whatever. I've been writing for awhile but now that I'm doing a bit more with film, I've gotten back into the forums a bit more to tweak my writing skills. Glad to be here and glad to get and give some help where I can.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-02-13 16:31:58

At 2/12/13 05:32 AM, RonPrice wrote:
At 1/26/10 04:01 PM, Fro wrote: Feel free to chat among other regulars of the writing forum. If it's your first time posting then make sure you introduce yourself and tell us how writing has influenced your life.
-------------------------
I'm not sure if I have introduced myself before. If I have moderators should feel free to delete this post.-Ron

I retired from full-time teaching in 1999, part-time teaching in 2003 and volunteer teaching/work in 2005 after 32 years in classrooms as a teacher and another 18 as a student. In addition, I have been a member of the BahaâEUTMi Faith for 53 years. Bio-data: 6ft, 235 lbs, eyes-brown/hair-grey, Caucasian.

My website is found at: http://www.ronpriceepoch.com/ You can also go to any search engine and type: Ron Price followed by any one of a number of words in addition to: poetry, forums, religion, literature, history, bipolar disorder, psychology, sociology, philosophy, inter alia, to access my writing________________________

Hi Ron,

Thanks for introducing yourself. We have a lot of young writers on this forum who could really value input from someone with your experience. Please feel free to comment on the various threads on the forum. We generally specialize in creative fiction, but it seems you have a strong non-fiction background so you can help out some of the members we often feel get the short end from us since we don't have that background.