00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Writing Forum Lounge

165,741 Views | 2,365 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-04 21:15:09


At 12/4/12 10:56 AM, Deathcon7 wrote: ...

Man. It's been about 2 years since I joined NG. I too wanted to animate out of my love for animation but could never find the time or resources. That's the same thing that drew me to the Writing Forum. Love! (Lame, I know.)

I love literature and I love writing. I love reading too, but I feel like my attention span has diminished over time (the last book I read all the way was A Clockwork Orange, like 1 year ago. I've tried to read Candide, Walden, Cosmos, The Origins of Species, and even shorter works like Nightfall (the collection), and A Room of One's Own, but I keep putting them down...).

What's keeping me on the Writing Forum? I mean, my time is much better devoted to reading literature I know to be damn good. The main thing, I suppose, is ego. I feel that I am pretty good at recognizing weakness in a story, and I get a certain ego boost reviewing someone's story and telling them what worked and what didn't. I like being an "elite" regular, if you will. Then of course, there is respect for the craft and trying to educate others while also learning from others. There's loyalty to the Writing Forum (I have little-to-no loyalty to NG; I like Tom and respect him, but this place is an intellectual wasteland. Call me elitist, pompous, delusional, or whatever, but this place is full of intellectual inferiors). There's boredom. And, there's a chance to help others, which is probably the one I like best.

In regards to faith, I too find myself slipping. I pride myself in patience and rationality, but my mettle has been pretty weak as of late. I'm bitter and disillusioned and a bit smug. I've always had a bitter dislike of general and I'll never pass an opportunity to speak ill of them (if anyone would like to defend them, go ahead. I've got nothin' but time, baby). But, the Writing Forum has always been different, and will always be different. Even though some of the people who trickle operate under my standard of "intelligent" (which is extremely objective, but I still consider to be reasonable) they are more rounded and intelligent than most people on the Internet, and I respect them. And, I have a deep respect for characters such as yourself, mhzinski, starwars, 4, Ekublai, Coop, and Brian and ZeeAk. My faith in the Writing Forum resides in people such as ourselves. Without this strong core, this forum is just as inane and pointless as the rest.

Without that, my faith in this place is as good as dead as Dillinger. I'm not sure if staying here is worth it--you're right; it's more of a loose forum for us regulars. Without the Writing Forum, nothing really changes, especially if we stay in touch. But, you have been the one pillar since I've been here. I've grown as a writer and as a person, and I've grown wiser, too. I do consider myself another pillar of the Writing Forum (I think about 730 of my posts are in the Writing Forum, much more than anybody else). Really, the only two "regulars" are yourself and I. Without us, the Writing Forum would devolve into a waste.

In the end, that's sort of my final reason. I have a somewhat misplaced obligation or duty to keep this place alive, to make sure that the standard here never drops to that of General. If you leave, it will be a grand shame. But, I will always be here, parting wisdom and injecting intellect wherever I can. The Writing Forum is a safe haven for me to be smart and speak honestly and somewhat loftily. I'm sure many of you can sympathize with me: we are too smart for our own good. I'm used to being the smartest person in the room. When someone says something stupid, or incorrect, I want to yell in their face to pick up a fucking book and study; if you want to watch television, watch something educational or worthwhile; same thing with music. Again, it may be ego, or delusion, but I guess it's the truth.

That's my rant. I have feeling that this isn't the end, though. If it is, good luck, my friend, and peace.


Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-05 04:38:08


At 12/4/12 10:56 AM, Deathcon7 wrote:
I leave this here because it's not worth a thread but I feel it should be said.
On Losing Faith

I think I can sympathize with you. I was in the same position, perhaps a few years later. Trying to be a programmer and GustTheASGuy dissing my every attempt and calling me an "idiot". And eventually I realized he was usually right.

There's a lot of people like this. I have a friend in real life like this as well. They can have this sort of "binary vision", where something is either complete shit, or the greatest thing ever. There is no in-between, and you stay at it, working hard, because you know you could eventually fall into their latter category. And they'd keep calling your work shit, but you know you're improving.

But I stuck with it. I could never impress Gus, as he left NG some time ago. However, I eventually managed to impress this real-life friend who had these perfectionist standards.

As frustrated as I can get with how abrasive mhzinski can be, I am thankful for the role he has decided to play around here. He has helped me realize no matter how hard I try, it's wasted effort.

And that's the thing. You only feel it's wasted effort. I remember reading this biography about Steve Jobs, and how he also had this twisted binary vision of the world, and would assume everyone's work was shit unless proven otherwise.

I've always seen you as an awesome writer, and I've always enjoyed reading your work, ever since the early beginnings of these MWC's, and I remember you were among the writers I was intimidated by. I'm not aware of the work you do outside of NG, but I really think you could shape the future of NG's writing community here.

NG's writing community is in a very sensitive state right now. It was once flourishing to an extent, but it has died and now is the rebirth. The hardest thing is gaining traction, and we'll eventually get it, with there being a literature portal in the works. It's just a matter of time. We can either wait for that to happen, or nurture a writing community that could flourish once the gates of a new portal open.

I tried to start up the Write-Up in the hopes of doing something that would get me better involved but over the past few days I've gone from enthusiastic to indifferent

The thing is, that write up is a pretty experimental kind of contest, and it's usually harder to get people to join such things.

I think the problem is that the contest thread itself looks scary. There's a lot of text, and a huge deadline, implying a high standard of submissions that could scare off a lot of people. And sure, this is a writing contest, so the writers could at least be expected to read the contest's rules and whatnot, but I'm not sure if we're there yet.

Also, the general forum is like this awful, secluded, dark corner on Newgrounds. All of the website is filled with these creative, talented and (mostly) nice individuals, and the players and the userbase who love and support Newgrounds. Then there are these bunch of people, with ad-blockers, who don't play the games nor watch the movies, who just hang around the general forum. (Not that everyone there is like that, but still)

I don't consider the general forum a part of Newgrounds. It only taints its image. You could post this in the art, animation or flash forums, and you'd get way better support.

I also think the only thing you really needed to do was tell Tom about it so he mentions it in a post on the front page.

We could try sizing down the experiment. Instead of a 3 month project about game design documents and movie scripts, perhaps try something shorter and more concentrated, something to tie together the corners of newgrounds.

Do you remember the movie jam? Writers filled a thread with these short movie ideas, and animators animated them in 3 days. It worked because anyone could join, it would only take a few minutes or hours to write something, and animators weren't burdened because the script was only a short premise that they could interpret as they wished rather than a 5 minute movie on which they'd have to work for months on.

Perhaps you could try organizing a game jam? Where, like the movie jam, writers would plot out ideas and game mechanics, and developers would have to choose something from that. I think that could be really fun. It would be amazing for people to see their ideas being brought to life, and it would be fun for developers to be able to choose from a variety of game ideas.

Sure, there would be no detailed writing in the conventional sense, more like ideas being thrown around. But this is what the writing forum is about. Both for encouraging literature and the creative design that could be manifested in games and movies.

I even remember Tom saying one of the main reasons for a lit portal is to be able to upload a post-mortem of a game, and tie it with the submission, which would encourage more developers to write about how their game did and the process behind it.

I think you can do something here. We just need to keep trying.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-05 20:29:45


At 12/4/12 10:56 AM, Deathcon7 wrote:
On Losing Faith

What initially began as a taste for the free adult content (particularly games like Frank's Adventure),

Heh, I remember those.

But it was for two selfish reasons: I wanted to have something I could do I was good at, and I wanted to finally build a name for myself.

That's more or less the same reasons why I started coming here. I just kinda decided to start writing, I was already an NG member, and whoa, there's a writing forum! I had the same selfish desire, to have my writing be seen. But I think that's what everybody uses NG for.

After some introspection I now realize I've come full circle. Once again I'm spending an inordinate amount of time discussing something, trying to help other people do it, instead of doing that something myself. And thankfully I once again have a "GusttheASGuy" to keep me level. As frustrated as I can get with how abrasive mhzinski can be, I am thankful for the role he has decided to play around here. He has helped me realize no matter how hard I try, it's wasted effort.

No such wasted thing as wasted effort if you're actually writing. I saw your updated profile page. One thing I realized while doing Nanowrimo is that you are a writer if you just do it. One year ago I had never tried to write anything other then papers for school. Now, I have most of a novel finished, and a bunch of short stories. I am a writer. I have written things. Some of them are online here. I'm not getting paid for it, I can't quit my day job yet, but I still consider myself a writer. I haven't done all the research on it that you have, and I don't have the same grasp of literary merit that deft and you guys all have, but I'm still chugging away at the keyboard.

And I consider you to be a writer. A damn good one if the things you've uploaded are something to judge by. So stop worrying about what effort is worth it or not, and just step back and realize: If you write things, you are a writer. Simple as that. I have noticed that once I started "actually" writing, I had less time to spend on the forum reading other people's stuff, but that's just the way it is. I still like to come here and give and receive feedback though.

I tried to start up the Write-Up in the hopes of doing something that would get me better involved but over the past few days I've gone from enthusiastic to indifferent. Maybe my expectations were too high, or maybe they were as high as they should be all things considered. I posted in General and the response was dismissive. In fact, the only real response was a dick pic. You can't really expect much else from General but, I mean, c'mon... this is the pool of people we pull from. Frankly speaking they're children. Frankly speaking the large majority of people here are children. At first I thought I was okay with that but I'm not. The saving grace has always been the regulars but even they have grown distant.

I've never been to general. But this is how I look at NG. It is the internet in microcosm. Most of the stuff is stupid, derivative, or unoriginal. But there are shiny gems of awesome too. This theory holds true for just about every medium, genre, or form of entertainment. So yea, lots of the people are 13 year olds with nothing important to say, but they'll grow up one day. And when they do maybe they'll be cool and intelligent. Or maybe not.

There are a few reasons why I'm posting this. Obviously for attention. Who doesn't like that? But also because, if I'm not mistaken, this isn't the first tantrum I've thrown. I want to make it clear this is how I feel because there will undoubtedly be loose ends. I want to encourage those loose ends to contact me. My info is in my profile. The same goes for anyone who just wants to keep in touch. And that's about it.

Good luck.

I'd be sad to see you go, man. You've given a lot of people a lot of good advice. I'm one of em. I'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say that we'll keep the forum up and running in case you decide to come back!


Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-06 12:44:09


i have written some new stories and i wanted to post them,but the shy part that im having trouble with is that they are My little pony based.

And i dont know how many ppl would even pay attention to it.

well like someone else told me a long time ago

"if they read it they read it" if they dont, they dont"

so dont be surprised when you guys see a MLP story or two ok?


TUNI PEACE

Tapping the fingers for art and laughs.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-06 23:35:20


At 12/6/12 12:44 PM, warror wrote: i have written some new stories and i wanted to post them,but the shy part that im having trouble with is that they are My little pony based.
so dont be surprised when you guys see a MLP story or two ok?

We will not. You're not the first to put MLP stuff here. I can't guarantee a reception though.


Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-07 00:52:26


At 12/6/12 11:35 PM, starwarsjunkie wrote:
At 12/6/12 12:44 PM, warror wrote: i have written some new stories and i wanted to post them,but the shy part that im having trouble with is that they are My little pony based.
so dont be surprised when you guys see a MLP story or two ok?
We will not. You're not the first to put MLP stuff here. I can't guarantee a reception though.

Well like i said if they read it they read it... but you did make me feel better about it :)

I'll post it and then sit on it for a week to see how many people respond to it.

no im not the best writer or artist. but i love to write and im a fan of many things. from x-men to MLP. I love rock music and classical.

i just want to share my ideas like any other writer. i might get like 3 people that like it and that will be enough for me :)

p.s. is there still a writing review tread?


TUNI PEACE

Tapping the fingers for art and laughs.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-07 22:31:58


WHOA WHOA WHOA, guys. Don't go yet! Seriously, I find kindred spirits in all of you in one way or another. I need a make to make sure we keep in contact. The best way to succeed in the writing world is to know other writers.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-10 21:38:26


HI!

remember that mess i posted "shadows of the heart"?

well it was a mess.

i accidentally posted the UNedited version because i was so hyped. Well i have a cleaner version with some fan art that you can see if you are interested

the story is only 4 pages long and it is a MLP fan fic about Sombra's and the crystal princesses past.

for bronies in and out of the closet you know what this means. for the curious come and check it out. it wont hurt. you know you wanna.

Shadow of the heart story
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8767948/1/Shadow-of-the-Heart

shadow of the heart illustration (by me)

http://tunipeace.deviantart.com/#/d5np3pj


TUNI PEACE

Tapping the fingers for art and laughs.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-16 04:36:02


At 12/4/12 10:56 AM, Deathcon7 wrote:
I leave this here because it's not worth a thread but I feel it should be said.
On Losing Faith

I believe the real issue with this form is a lack of the brand of excitement that would appeal to the average person. Not to stand on a soap box or praise my (now ancient) works, but this form needs something like the poetry battles I used to host. Those battles used to draw in all sorts of people who otherwise would have bipassed the forum all together. These "for fun" writers are important to keeping the community alive. Now, I will spare you all my complete thought process on the matter, but that is my two cents.

Also, you are an exceptional man for doing all you have for this forum.


Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-20 17:33:08


Well, the guy is a master of suspense and intrigue - having just blown the cover on a few storylines that he was keeping under wraps for the large part of 12 books, my mind is now trying to escape from my ears.

I'm starting to wonder why my friends say that I'm like Harry Dresden at all...


Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-22 08:24:27


I feel like this is an AA meeting..but nonetheless, maybe that is something I need.

I won't insult your intelligence by saying my name..I think you can read :P

I like to write, I don't really share my work though because, well, the stuff I write probably doesn't have an audience and I think it is shit. I write for myself. So I likely will not scourge you with my inane blubberings :D

But who knows, you may get unlucky one day.

I'm not sure what role writing has played in my life, when I was a teen I found my love for poetry and wrote some very teen-like dribble, which makes me gag and feel ashamed whenever I dare to glimpse at it nowadays. I guess it has made me more aware of the natural world as the years have progressed (as idiotic as that sounds). I take more time just standing in a road, breathing in the air, or watching the leaves flitting in breezes..or staring at the explosive colors of fall(my favorite aside from looking- well, why do you care? I ramble -.-). I have come to really appreciate them, even as I have grown away from people and being social.

So I guess that is me, where is my sponsor so I can feel bad about myself and my errant ways >.>?


"In my dreams, it's always there..The evil face that twists my mind and brings me to despair"

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-22 09:08:14


Forgot to mention that I utterly love renaissance era romance poetry (such as Petrarch, Shakespeare's sonnet sequence, Thomas Wyatt, Sydney, Walter Raleigh..you get the idea x_X) and epic poetry.


"In my dreams, it's always there..The evil face that twists my mind and brings me to despair"

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-22 20:00:06


At 12/22/12 09:08 AM, Alina836 wrote: ...

Hey. Well, you're not the only person who enjoys poetry and focuses his or her efforts on poems rather than prose. As long as you spend time reading and commenting on other people's poetry, you'll be welcomed here.


Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-23 01:53:25


At 12/22/12 08:00 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote:
At 12/22/12 09:08 AM, Alina836 wrote: ...
Hey. Well, you're not the only person who enjoys poetry and focuses his or her efforts on poems rather than prose. As long as you spend time reading and commenting on other people's poetry, you'll be welcomed here.

I do read, I am horrible at critiquing though. I don't think it is fair for me to give pointers when my work is far from perfect.


"In my dreams, it's always there..The evil face that twists my mind and brings me to despair"

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-23 02:44:52


There's not much you need to do to give feedback. You don't have to give a full review, but it is important to support and encourage fellow writers and poets. This is especially true if you are a nascent writer/poet, since you need to be able to recognize what works and what doesn't, as well as familiarizing yourself with language and prosody.


Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-26 08:47:12


noo deathcon don't go

Even if the Writing Forum has(sorry) utterly failed to gain any momentum as a hub for writers to critique, write, and teach, the forum is first and foremost a place of discussion! Where real, actual writers reside! A community! A place where everyone else knows what you're talking about! Personally, I can't imagine lurking anywhere else except this glorious haven of intelligent conversation! Everyone please stay!

At 12/7/12 10:31 PM, EKublai wrote: The best way to succeed in the writing world is to know other writers.

When I got outside, the purple fog was spreading. I covered my nose and mouth, and ran home.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-27 05:57:56


wipes crust from eyes, yawns

Hi guys! I think it's finally time I venture back to this site. Looks like I have a lot to learn and to catch up on. There has been crazy and amazing changes in my life that have gotten me to where I am today! I hope there are a lot of my old friends around.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-28 06:28:45


At 12/27/12 05:57 AM, Fro wrote:
wipes crust from eyes, yawns
Hi guys! I think it's finally time I venture back to this site. Looks like I have a lot to learn and to catch up on. There has been crazy and amazing changes in my life that have gotten me to where I am today! I hope there are a lot of my old friends around.

I'm still here, barely. Though I appear to be gearing up for a good run on the keyboard over the next few weeks / months, with the amount of inspiration that I've found, all of a sudden.


Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-30 09:29:06


At 12/28/12 06:28 AM, Coop wrote:
At 12/27/12 05:57 AM, Fro wrote:
wipes crust from eyes, yawns
Hi guys! I think it's finally time I venture back to this site. Looks like I have a lot to learn and to catch up on. There has been crazy and amazing changes in my life that have gotten me to where I am today! I hope there are a lot of my old friends around.
I'm still here, barely. Though I appear to be gearing up for a good run on the keyboard over the next few weeks / months, with the amount of inspiration that I've found, all of a sudden.

I'm not motivated to come back more than to talk to people simply because I no longer use my computer and I can't watch flash or anything with my Ipad. As of writing though I've become slightly motivated. With the holidays about to be over and the new year starting I think I can make a resolution to start writing every day, even if just a little bit.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-30 13:09:10


It finally crossed my mind to become a member here.

I love to read and write, my favorite Authors having to be Steven King, Matthew Reily or Dan Brown

I have only wrote one major story that I put all my heart and effort into making (hopefully) quite a good read.
I will post it at some point in time soon.

Because I love to write I have also decided that I will become a journalist once I am out of school.

Apart from that there isn't much else I have to say, apart from I hope you will all like what I have to bring with me.


I am lovin' me some Retro Haze .

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-12-30 13:41:10


At 12/30/12 01:09 PM, twistex wrote: It finally crossed my mind to become a member here.

I love to read and write, my favorite Authors having to be Steven King, Matthew Reily or Dan Brown

I have only wrote one major story that I put all my heart and effort into making (hopefully) quite a good read.
I will post it at some point in time soon.

Because I love to write I have also decided that I will become a journalist once I am out of school.

Apart from that there isn't much else I have to say, apart from I hope you will all like what I have to bring with me.

Make sure you present it well. Proof-read, go through at least one draft, and maybe go so far as to use Google docs instead of the forum so the glitch typos don't show up.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-01 03:04:08


Well, I don't start my New Year's Resolutions until the 14th (just so I feel a little bit more motivated and not forced) but I'm thinking about writing more (I wrote every day in a journal for about 8 months); eating better (I stopped eating red meat for 1 year; I'm thinking about going vegetarian); working out more/dunk a basketball (I got close last time but I hurt my leg); and maybe going to sleep earlier. We remember what good ol' Ben Franklin said, right?

Anyway, take it easy fellas.


Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-01 15:40:22


At 1/1/13 03:04 AM, DeftAndEvil wrote: dunk a basketball (I got close last time but I hurt my leg); and maybe going to sleep earlier. We remember what good ol' Ben Franklin said, right?

Anyway, take it easy fellas.

I technically dunked in high school but it was so weakly thrown down, I don't really count it. I do have some hilarious stories of my attempts though. The first time I grabbed rim with two hands I rotated like I was on a hinge and fell flat out on my back. I had one of those "Is my back broken, is it all over for me?" moments. Good times. I'm 6'2" so I have plenty of time to put the work in to increase my jump.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-09 23:02:36


Hey dudes. It's been a long time since my last visit. It's good to see there's still a small group of core members checking in on this forum from time to time.

I thought I should drop in and let you guys know I had my first book published in November. It was done through a small publisher in Portland, Oregon that I'd been following for the past couple of years. The book is called House Hunter, and it's up on Amazon (for Americans), Amazon UK (for British/European folks), and Book Depository (for everyone else).

I wouldn't have made it this far without you guys, so sincere thanks for that. If you guys ever want to shoot the shit, I'm always up for talking about writing, editing, publishing, and whatever state the industry seems to be in at the moment. As some of you (I assume) have similar goals to me, I recommend you just focus on writing for the fun of it, and scope out people and places that have similar interests to you. Get in with a good community, and you'll find a wealth of resources at your feet. Work hard enough, and people will notice.

Also, if any of you guys are interested in my book/willing to help me spread the word, I'll do what I can to make it worth your while. ;)


READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-11 10:49:37


I'm out.

Peace.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-11 12:15:23


At 1/11/13 10:49 AM, mhzinski wrote: I'm out.

Peace.

>:(


Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-11 22:27:12


At 1/9/13 11:02 PM, WritersBlock wrote: Hey dudes. It's been a long time since my last visit. It's good to see there's still a small group of core members checking in on this forum from time to time.

I thought I should drop in and let you guys know I had my first book published in November. It was done through a small publisher in Portland, Oregon that I'd been following for the past couple of years. The book is called House Hunter, and it's up on Amazon (for Americans), Amazon UK (for British/European folks), and Book Depository (for everyone else).

Just wanted to say congrats. Been trying sending some of my own poetry/short story submissions to a few mags, but not as much luck as of yet. I know I need to do some more plugging; but been I've busy with several projects larely.


"I am a part of all that I have met."- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-14 10:30:54


At 1/11/13 12:15 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote:
At 1/11/13 10:49 AM, mhzinski wrote: I'm out.

Peace.
>:(

T_T


When I got outside, the purple fog was spreading. I covered my nose and mouth, and ran home.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-15 21:28:48


At 1/11/13 10:27 PM, Blue-SilverDragon wrote:
At 1/9/13 11:02 PM, WritersBlock wrote: Hey dudes. It's been a long time since my last visit. It's good to see there's still a small group of core members checking in on this forum from time to time.

I thought I should drop in and let you guys know I had my first book published in November. It was done through a small publisher in Portland, Oregon that I'd been following for the past couple of years. The book is called House Hunter, and it's up on Amazon (for Americans), Amazon UK (for British/European folks), and Book Depository (for everyone else).
Just wanted to say congrats. Been trying sending some of my own poetry/short story submissions to a few mags, but not as much luck as of yet. I know I need to do some more plugging; but been I've busy with several projects larely.

Getting published is pretty much a matter of having the right material for the right publisher. I find it's good to keep busy with multiple projects, because if one story doesn't make an editor's cut, you can put it aside and focus on something else. Of course, it helps to keep a few stories aside until you find the right publisher/magazine. And it helps if you're familiar with the magazine and the editor. It's a huge help if you know what the editor is looking for in a submission. Write up a shit-storm, polish it up as much as you can, and try to find a home for it. Even if you don't get a story accepted right away, you may get a personalised rejection, which means your story was good, but not what they're looking for. The main thing is that you put in the time and effort, not only towards writing and editing your work, but also to scouting out the market and figuring out exactly what your place is within that market. Good luck! :)


READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2013-01-16 13:02:07


At 1/15/13 09:28 PM, WritersBlock wrote:
At 1/11/13 10:27 PM, Blue-SilverDragon wrote:
At 1/9/13 11:02 PM, WritersBlock wrote: Hey dudes. It's been a long time since my last visit. It's good to see there's still a small group of core members checking in on this forum from time to time.

I thought I should drop in and let you guys know I had my first book published in November. It was done through a small publisher in Portland, Oregon that I'd been following for the past couple of years. The book is called House Hunter, and it's up on Amazon (for Americans), Amazon UK (for British/European folks), and Book Depository (for everyone else).
Just wanted to say congrats. Been trying sending some of my own poetry/short story submissions to a few mags, but not as much luck as of yet. I know I need to do some more plugging; but been I've busy with several projects larely.
Getting published is pretty much a matter of having the right material for the right publisher. I find it's good to keep busy with multiple projects, because if one story doesn't make an editor's cut, you can put it aside and focus on something else. Of course, it helps to keep a few stories aside until you find the right publisher/magazine. And it helps if you're familiar with the magazine and the editor. It's a huge help if you know what the editor is looking for in a submission. Write up a shit-storm, polish it up as much as you can, and try to find a home for it. Even if you don't get a story accepted right away, you may get a personalised rejection, which means your story was good, but not what they're looking for. The main thing is that you put in the time and effort, not only towards writing and editing your work, but also to scouting out the market and figuring out exactly what your place is within that market. Good luck! :)

I understand- I haven't been doing as much scouting of publishers lately as I need to be doing. This is partly because of me wanting to getting several of my projects that I'm attending to right now to the point where I'm satisfied enough with them in context, character development, plot, etc to start looking for a publisher. I have submitted to a few mags in the past, and not as many as I need to of course, but what I have submitted to has been rejected. I still know that I'm going be rejected until I find the right place and time for my work. And with some personal experience as an editor for my university's annual lit mag, I have a better- if not wholly complete- understanding of what a mag's (or any publisher's) editorial team goes through.


"I am a part of all that I have met."- Alfred, Lord Tennyson