00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme
Upgrade Your Account!

Hi! I’m here waving at you this week because we’re hoping to boost our Supporter count. When we removed most of the ads from NG in January, our goal was to hit 4,000 active Supporters in 2020. We’re making steady progress but are coming up about 300 people short! If you have $3 per month or $25 per year to spare, please consider becoming a Supporter today!

Writing Forum Lounge

165,865 Views | 2,365 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-04-13 14:17:31

Hrm, sorry guys. I honestly, honestly forgot all about what I was working. Unfortunately unemployment isn't treating me as well as I thought it would. I know there's no rush, just wanted to let you know I remembered, and I'll get everything posted up just as soon as possible.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-04-14 18:13:46

At 4/13/12 02:17 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: Hrm, sorry guys. I honestly, honestly forgot all about what I was working.

It happens from time to time.

Unfortunately unemployment isn't treating me as well as I thought it would.

That never does - you really need to knuckle down and grab a hold of yourself, to self motivate. I know it's a real bitch, because there's nothing like the pressure of expectation from work at home. Stick with it, you;ll get through it.

I know there's no rush, just wanted to let you know I remembered, and I'll get everything posted up just as soon as possible.

Awesome.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-04-16 18:34:18

At 4/11/12 11:35 AM, DeftAndEvil wrote:
Once upon a time there was a curious barnacle who saw something on the internet and could never let it go. He was so curious that everyone died. The end.

Anyway, there haven't been any real attempts at creative writing in the forum lately. I think people are just practicing, though.

Also anyway, wasn't there a Pico Day writing contest? I know that there wouldn't be any cash prizes, but Pico Day is coming up and I haven't seen the Pico Day Writing thread.

I sooooo want to be that barnacle!

I wrote a random story not too long ago. Was mostly just practice. Then I stopped by here at random. Being random makes it almost impossible to be bored. (Homemade) Fact.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-04-17 23:24:06

how many fan fiction writers do we have out there?

i just wanted to do fan fiction because i enjoyed a certain story and the characters in the sotry. basically a fan.

i do my own original stories also, but they tend to be more serieous, and new grounds has always been a place of fun for me.

i heard of something called cupcakes. some fan fic about the my little ponies and it just seemed to blow up. and it is down right gory. nothing wrong with that i just did not know there would be such a big fan base for turning a childrens story gory.

i guess its because it was so innocient or something which is funny.

but we could do that to any other story, which we probably have. Like hello kitty, hamtaro, seseme street(which has been done millions of times), etc.

i only make fun because i love. it sounds werid doesnt it? i guess it is just because sometimes i feel that i can make a better life for some of the characters then the original writers like a MISERY thing "oh why did you kill her" or total hell for others.

TUNI PEACE

Tapping the fingers for art and laughs.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-04-24 11:33:48

So, quick question: how much science do you think one must first know before writing science fiction?

I do all my own stunts.

~Anabioo~

My super-interesting blog

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-04-24 14:41:52

At 4/24/12 11:33 AM, Anabioo wrote: So, quick question: how much science do you think one must first know before writing science fiction?

None. That's the point, which is what I think is cool about sci-fi. There's not really a definition to sci-fi, though, so I think as long as you keep it realistic and don't blatantly disregard scientific laws, you're golden. It's much more about building the world, and describing how it can't exist now, but it might as science and technology advances.

(However, I guess you must know at least high school level science, especially physics and biology).

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-04-26 11:49:22

chaotic kitten 3 : I'm smart too!!!

Coming to a forum near you! MAY 2012.

Check your local listings.....

TUNI PEACE

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-04-26 12:09:33

At 4/24/12 02:41 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote:
At 4/24/12 11:33 AM, Anabioo wrote: So, quick question: how much science do you think one must first know before writing science fiction?
None. That's the point, which is what I think is cool about sci-fi. There's not really a definition to sci-fi, though, so I think as long as you keep it realistic and don't blatantly disregard scientific laws, you're golden. It's much more about building the world, and describing how it can't exist now, but it might as science and technology advances.

(However, I guess you must know at least high school level science, especially physics and biology).

I have to slightly disagree with that. I think the boundary between fiction and sci-fi is becoming increasingly blurred, especially with novels like The Time Traveler's Wife, but for "true" sci-fi, you need to know a LOT of science. This is mostly things you take for granted though. If you're a sci-fi buff and you've read a lot of Heinlein or Niven, or any contemporary Sci-Fi, or if you're into Star Wars, Star Trek, or any other sci-fi media, you've pretty much got the genre staples. All you really need is a working knowledge of story writing.

If you want to write hard sci-fi, then you will need a very advanced knowledge of certain sciences, especially the ones that will influence your story. Some of the more predictive science fiction used/uses this approach. For the most part, those science fiction novels focus more on the science than the fiction.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-04-26 14:22:53

At 4/26/12 12:09 PM, Deathcon7 wrote:

That's true. I forgot about mofos like Asimov (a man I really admire) and Heinlein. But I guess it depends on the story and presentation. You can write a science-fiction story on time travel without a working knowledge of quantum mechanics (I'm not really sure what quantum mechanics is, or how it is related to time-travel; I assume it is?) If you've graduated high school (and have taken at least bio, physics, and some form of astronomy) and watched stuff like Star Trek and Blade Runner, and read some sci-fi (Asimov, Heinlein, as well as Wells and Verne), you are more than set for most sci-fi.

You're right though: the line between fantasy and sci-fi has been blurred like, as you've mentioned, the Time Traveler's Wife. I swear you have brought that book up more than once.

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-04-26 21:27:22

At 4/26/12 02:22 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote: That's true. I forgot about mofos like Asimov (a man I really admire) and Heinlein. But I guess it depends on the story and presentation. You can write a science-fiction story on time travel without a working knowledge of quantum mechanics (I'm not really sure what quantum mechanics is, or how it is related to time-travel; I assume it is?) If you've graduated high school (and have taken at least bio, physics, and some form of astronomy) and watched stuff like Star Trek and Blade Runner, and read some sci-fi (Asimov, Heinlein, as well as Wells and Verne), you are more than set for most sci-fi.

I was just arguing for arguments sake. But thanks for expounding. Sci-fi is just a genre, and so long as you're intimate with the staples, you can get by. If you want to write something truly influential, however, I would argue a healthy knowledge of science is required. What should ultimately be kept in mind is that today people are more interested in character than milieu, so getting a BS in Quantum Mechanics just to write a story about it is a waste of time. If you wanted to become a researcher, however, that's a different story (no pun intended).

You're right though: the line between fantasy and sci-fi has been blurred like, as you've mentioned, the Time Traveler's Wife. I swear you have brought that book up more than once.

It's a story that has helped me broaden my expectations of modern fiction and should be a seminal example of what story telling should be right now. I doubt Audrey Niffenegger has a degree in time travel. But she had a story in mind, and had her characters, and it elevated what would have otherwise been a simple romance novel. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's my mainstay example for the point I'm trying to make.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-04-27 01:33:02

At 4/26/12 09:27 PM, Deathcon7 wrote:
I was just arguing for arguments sake.

Likewise.

It's a story that has helped me broaden my expectations of modern fiction and should be a seminal example of what story telling should be right now.

I was honestly poking fun at you, but I knew that you were serious about it. I've never read it, and don't have any plans to, but I understand what it is, and respect it as a serious work of fiction.

P.S. I like Rachel McAdams. But, I realize that the quality of a movie does not reflect the quality of a book.

P.P.S. I have never seen the Time Traveler's Wife.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-04-29 03:53:53

http://www.how-to-write-a-book-now.com/

Great resource for some very awesome organizational tools. Going through, this really helped me to focus my creativity and put labels to what I'm doing. It has greatly improved my organization and how I'm viewing my story. Please, people, use it. Twould be awesome to see some well shaped stories floating around.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-04-29 20:18:40

At 4/29/12 03:53 AM, Deathcon7 wrote: http://www.how-to-write-a-book-now.com/

Great resource for some very awesome organizational tools. Going through, this really helped me to focus my creativity and put labels to what I'm doing. It has greatly improved my organization and how I'm viewing my story. Please, people, use it. Twould be awesome to see some well shaped stories floating around.

To follow up with this, is anyone else listening to Writing Excuses? They're on season 7 at the moment, so there are a ton of podcasts to listen to. They're 15 minutes long, but they're organized very well, so you can just listen to what interests you. I highly recommend it. Highly!

http://www.writingexcuses.com

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-05-02 00:51:42

At 4/29/12 08:18 PM, Deathcon7 wrote:
At 4/29/12 03:53 AM, Deathcon7 wrote: http://www.how-to-write-a-book-now.com/

To follow up with this, is anyone else listening to Writing Excuses? They're on season 7 at the moment, so there are a ton of podcasts to listen to. They're 15 minutes long, but they're organized very well, so you can just listen to what interests you. I highly recommend it. Highly!

http://www.writingexcuses.com

I have since it was mention, quite long ago, even though I have switched areas of writing. I'm surprise writers didn't check out about guns in the recent podcast. Anyone know where I should start of with writing some comic/graphic novel scripts?

If you're a HARDCORE FAN prepare to be always disappointed.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-05-02 01:27:15

At 5/2/12 12:51 AM, X1SephX wrote: I have since it was mention, quite long ago, even though I have switched areas of writing. I'm surprise writers didn't check out about guns in the recent podcast. Anyone know where I should start of with writing some comic/graphic novel scripts?

I think you're approaching the problem from the wrong angle. The script is the least important part of this process. What's most important is the minutiae. Scripts will change as you accommodate what information needs to be delivered and when, and how much space you have to work with. You won't be able to learn these things, however, until you learn the design techniques, or find someone who does.

My suggestion is to come up with some loose concepts, flesh them out a bit, build a portfolio of ideas. Then do the leg work. Find an artist that can handle the visuals. Together you can shape the finished product. And if you really want to get involved with layout, then do research. Pick up books. There are a lot of resources out there, and they're not even hard to find, you just have to put the effort into actually absorbing the information.

Good luck.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-05-02 02:26:14

At 5/2/12 01:27 AM, Deathcon7 wrote:
At 5/2/12 12:51 AM, X1SephX wrote: I have since it was mention, quite long ago, even though I have switched areas of writing. I'm surprise writers didn't check out about guns in the recent podcast. Anyone know where I should start of with writing some comic/graphic novel scripts?
I think you're approaching the problem from the wrong angle. The script is the least important part of this process. What's most important is the minutiae. Scripts will change as you accommodate what information needs to be delivered and when, and how much space you have to work with. You won't be able to learn these things, however, until you learn the design techniques, or find someone who does.

My suggestion is to come up with some loose concepts, flesh them out a bit, build a portfolio of ideas. Then do the leg work. Find an artist that can handle the visuals. Together you can shape the finished product. And if you really want to get involved with layout, then do research. Pick up books. There are a lot of resources out there, and they're not even hard to find, you just have to put the effort into actually absorbing the information.

You know what after rereading a couple of times your answer and my question I realized that I wrote my question incorrectly. I've been doing homework about what you said, btw would you have any other information about comic writing? Are you familiar in that area of writing?. I've got the Scott McCloud Anabioo recommended. Sorry, Deathcon7 I wasn't being clear on my question I guess I was thinking about what I meant while I was writing it if that even makes sense. I meant like where are there sites that offer criticisms about comic writing? Even though I'm getting way ahead of myself doesn't hurt to see others work as you mentioned. I've found the digital webbing forums, comicbookreasources.com

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-05-02 02:51:51

At 5/2/12 02:26 AM, X1SephX wrote: You know what after rereading a couple of times your answer and my question I realized that I wrote my question incorrectly. I've been doing homework about what you said, btw would you have any other information about comic writing? Are you familiar in that area of writing?. I've got the Scott McCloud Anabioo recommended. Sorry, Deathcon7 I wasn't being clear on my question I guess I was thinking about what I meant while I was writing it if that even makes sense. I meant like where are there sites that offer criticisms about comic writing? Even though I'm getting way ahead of myself doesn't hurt to see others work as you mentioned. I've found the digital webbing forums, comicbookreasources.com

If you've got Understanding Comics, then it seems like you're good to go. Of course one resource won't give you all the technical detail you'll need, and more information is always better, but you're off to a good start.

And if critique is what you seek, then we're always a resource as well. There are plenty of people here in this forum who would be happy to critique work for you.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-05-02 19:41:16

At 5/2/12 02:51 AM, Deathcon7 wrote:
At 5/2/12 02:26 AM, X1SephX wrote:
If you've got Understanding Comics, then it seems like you're good to go. Of course one resource won't give you all the technical detail you'll need, and more information is always better, but you're off to a good start.

Of course.

And if critique is what you seek, then we're always a resource as well. There are plenty of people here in this forum who would be happy to critique work for you.

I hope so, forum seems a little slower last time I was here, ha.

And then there's drawing, man I wish my brain could take whatever I wanted to learn in one shot instead of practicing. Thanks again!

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 16:56:55

At 4/26/12 11:49 AM, warror wrote: chaotic kitten 3 : I'm s

Coming to a forum near you! MAY 2012.

Check your local listings.....

i messed up on my own fan fiction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the other title is

"as pure as the wind driven snow" I'm smart too was the latest one....
and i'll try to post t as ap but i just moved, but it WILL come this month...

logan gets real pissed...

TUNI PEACE

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-05-10 21:41:13

i know that this is usually a writing forum, but as you know i said i also do art work from time to time...

well i just went to deviant art and did a sucky muro and freehanded tuni and hank with my laptop mouse... its the best i coud do with my touch mouse... i'll try to scan in the future..

and im about 30 percent done with chapter 3....

Writing Forum Lounge

TUNI PEACE

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-05-11 17:15:16

At 5/10/12 09:41 PM, warror wrote: i know that this is usually a writing forum, but as you know i said i also do art work from time to time...

well i just went to deviant art and did a sucky muro and freehanded tuni and hank with my laptop mouse... its the best i coud do with my touch mouse... i'll try to scan in the future..

and im about 30 percent done with chapter 3....

finally........ sigh.... i present tuni chaotica peace...

you might have to zoom in for better features.

Writing Forum Lounge

TUNI PEACE

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-05-12 22:39:05

well chapter 3 of chaotic kiten is up... im going to start a once a month. check 'er out

TUNI PEACE

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-05-12 23:27:03

Odd. I'm going to assume I'm being hyper sensitive here, but doesn't it seem like the Lit portion of the site has been abandoned as far as special events? The only thing I can conclusively point to is Robot Day. The last time I participated, it actually spawned a really great idea for a short story, and I actually believe other great ideas could spring up here and there if the environment is properly fostered. I will concede that the last time this happened there was an uproar due to the quality of judgement, but hey, that's no reason to give up, is it?

Anyway, just thought I'd point it out. Maybe it would be a good idea to have our own little event here in this forum. All seven of us could have a blast.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-05-15 13:09:48

POSTED..............

a color version of tuni and hank manga.

it took forever to color. i know this is a writing forum but it has to do with the story im posting, and i think it looks better colored. i had to use regular paint because when i tried MURO on deviant art the file kept messing up.

you can see it if you wanna

TUNI PEACE

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-05-15 13:12:54

well i was also trying to liven it up with a fan fiction, but people mostly come to this site for viewing videos and games, not really artwork and writing.

i thought that writing stories would help, but i guess only really deviant art and fan fiction.net are more reading places.

i know what you mean. i even recently got a scanner to try to add traffic to my story, with original fan art.

check some out.http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/warror/tuni-and-hank-
manga-color

TUNI PEACE

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-05-15 13:15:42

At 5/12/12 10:39 PM, warror wrote: well chapter 3 of chaotic kiten is up... im going to start a once a month. check 'er out

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1304836

TUNI PEACE

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-05-16 04:28:33

At 5/15/12 01:12 PM, warror wrote: i know what you mean. i even recently got a scanner to try to add traffic to my story, with original fan art.

To meet what end? A lot of writers and artists always want attention to their work, but for what ends? Are you trying to make money? Or are you simply seeking validation? I'm honestly curious. I have a writers blog, and I plan to update the site with some of my work, but I have yet to drive traffic to it. It seems more like just a repository of information; somewhere I can point to and say: hey, that's my corner of the internet. And I ask because uploading to deviantArt, and FanFiction.net, managing those accounts, plus coming over here to NG... it just seems like so much work.

At 5/15/12 01:15 PM, warror wrote:
At 5/12/12 10:39 PM, warror wrote: well chapter 3 of chaotic kiten is up... im going to start a once a month. check 'er out
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1304836

Fyi, if you want a review, post in the review request thread. I've linked to it in my signature. Otherwise, there's no need to link to threads within this same forum simply because you updated it. If people are going to read it, they will. At this point you're just really derailing the spirit of the lounge. It's meant for casual, personable discussion, not advertisement.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-05-16 13:55:57

well i wanted to get my work out there to see if people liked it... it is hard sometimes for people to find something if i kept it on one website, and like i said, newgrounds is more of a flash animation site.

and about the request thread i didnt see it. thanks for posting it. im more of a writer and sketch artist. and im a fan of the art of newgrounds. why are you on newgrounds? do you also do animations?

TUNI PEACE

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-05-27 23:36:37

Wow, nice to see so many writers out there. I'm a big ideas guy, but my drawing stinks. Writing is so much more accessible for me. I love watching the movies people come up with on Newgrounds.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2012-05-28 15:17:35

Hi there,
My name is Richie, I write quite a bit. Mostly funny stuff although I would like to get into serious stories every now and then. I write influenced by the surroundings around me and the situations I grew up around. Love thelonelyisland's stuff, as well as a variety of other 90s , early 2000s cartoon influences.

Most of my written stuff is at http://thenosemilk.com , http://youtube.com/thenosemilk .
Nice meeting you all!
Richie Pages