00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LettuceNFrenchFries just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Writing Forum Lounge

187,164 Views | 2,353 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 16:05:06

I'm blazer133 and Just took up writing mid last year when i had to write a small shot stroy for a teacher, he told me that my story was fucking awesome, the detail and description I put into it made it so clear, he said it was like he was right there watching it all happen right before his eyes.

I'm currently trying to finish a series of books for this story i've had sealed away in my since grade 3.

NEVER FORGET

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 17:01:29

Hey guys started a short story today and I'm probaly going to post it in a thread soon. Just thought I would let you know.

Gamer's United, making the world a better place for gaming.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 17:10:30

Howdy, my names Jonny :D. As you can tell by name my favorite writer is George Orwell ^.^. I mostly write satire and depressing stuff :P.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 18:25:24

At 1/27/10 02:58 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Hi, I'm PuddinN64. I've been writing for a few years now and I really hope to become a major regular on this board. I hope to become a humorist as my job when I'm out of school.

And I absolutely love your stories. Some of the best humor around on the site as well. I'll be waiting for something great from you.

A cool thing about this forum is that I can read stuff while I'm bored on my cell phone when I wouldn't have access to a computer. The other forums didn't quite have the topics that I could sit there and read when I didn't have anything to do.

I also got my first 20 word story done for the competition. I feel that it's actually rather strong and could really help develop the second story by far more than the second story would be without it. I shared this with my writing class here at college and now when the judging is done I'm suppose to share my story/results with the class. :3

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 18:27:39

my real name is Nick, i mostly write fantasy and fiction stuff. i posted the first chapter of a story of mine. i wish someone could comment on it. i've always been a writer. even when i was a little kid, i drew comic books. so i think my style has always been inspired just by life

If you read this, the terrorists win.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 18:48:03

I think we shouldn't really be bothering too much with coming up with strict rules and guidelines. I think if we keep loose general rules, we can easily let the forum expand out to what it will become without having the forum structure collapse entirely.

Gee, I feel like we're writing a constitution for this forum...

:U

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 19:20:46

At 1/27/10 06:48 PM, Josh-B wrote: I think we shouldn't really be bothering too much with coming up with strict rules and guidelines. I think if we keep loose general rules, we can easily let the forum expand out to what it will become without having the forum structure collapse entirely.

It looks it, considering the wall of text that seems to accompany posts in this forum lol

I don't know if the same rules that hold for General can apply here (in sort of specific terms). Though I'm no BBS mod, I'd imagine this will run similar to the art forum. I just don't see the practicality in, for instance, some kid making a new thread everytime he's written a new poem. That could get a bit old rather fast. Especially if said kid is a lousy poet :P

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 19:22:53

Agreed! People should have ONE place to post their work. The only exception should be for a longer story such as a novelle.

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 19:28:44

At 1/27/10 07:20 PM, tigerkitty wrote: I don't know if the same rules that hold for General can apply here (in sort of specific terms). Though I'm no BBS mod, I'd imagine this will run similar to the art forum. I just don't see the practicality in, for instance, some kid making a new thread everytime he's written a new poem. That could get a bit old rather fast. Especially if said kid is a lousy poet :P

Yeh, one-shots seem like a waste to start a new thread for, especially if a person is never going to add anything else besides one or two poems he wants comments on.

Maybe we should encourage a similar rule to the Art forum's personal art threads which is to have each user to only have one person "short-writing" thread, just for them to dump their poems and possibly short stories. Longer stories should be justified enough to merit a whole thread for it, especially if the person is going to keep adding on to it.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 19:34:19

At 1/27/10 07:20 PM, tigerkitty wrote: I just don't see the practicality in, for instance, some kid making a new thread everytime he's written a new poem. That could get a bit old rather fast. Especially if said kid is a lousy poet :P

It's this and formatting pieces properly so that they can be read with greater ease that I'm (and most others really are) putting more effort into flagging up at the moment - the rest is really, like what's been said, essentially in the rules already. I certainly wouldn't want any rules to be 'strict' with the potential to limit creativity. That's a big no.

The rest are just technicalities: off-site linking and so on. The rest can be dealt if and when it needs to be dealt with.

On a slightly related note, what are you guys' opinions on microstories/flash fiction/whatever? This might just be an opening trend, but yeah, what do you think of them?

None of my attention to setup and hint/link threads are absolutely not related to having no original content suitable at this time :P

I joke, I wouldn't flag it up if I didn't think people couldn't use it.

But yeah ;)

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 19:41:43

I really enjoy flash fiction, Scarab. I think that the style really lends itself to my way of thinking and writing.

I'm gonna go back to my room and be awesome.

Desert Punk of the NG /A/|My VA Demo Reel|Audio Portal|

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 19:55:05

At 1/27/10 07:20 PM, tigerkitty wrote:
At 1/27/10 06:48 PM, Josh-B wrote: I think we shouldn't really be bothering too much with coming up with strict rules and guidelines. I think if we keep loose general rules, we can easily let the forum expand out to what it will become without having the forum structure collapse entirely.

It looks it, considering the wall of text that seems to accompany posts in this forum lol

I don't know if the same rules that hold for General can apply here (in sort of specific terms). Though I'm no BBS mod, I'd imagine this will run similar to the art forum. I just don't see the practicality in, for instance, some kid making a new thread everytime he's written a new poem. That could get a bit old rather fast. Especially if said kid is a lousy poet :P

I completely agree here. ive already posted and started adding to my own thread.
The only thing i fear is people spamming someones personal thread; it could cause some major issues.
Also, i agree to the idea of the rules and guidelines being quite loose. Some of them will have to be quite strict obviously, but anything that limits creativity is going to be a cancer to the forum.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 19:58:15

I've been planning on doing some crossover fan-fiction and some shark jumping Zelda fan-fiction since I heard about this writing portal. I should probably start writing them in advance!

I laugh at your sigs!

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 20:02:24

At 1/27/10 07:55 PM, megakill wrote: The only thing i fear is people spamming someones personal thread; it could cause some major issues.

If it was trolling, excessive comments like 'u suk' or something more abusive, then it probably falls under a number of rules anyway, so I personally think this is already being taken care of. The mods tend to be quick at extinguishing things like that, so as long as we have a couple of mods lurking now and then like we do now, it should be okay.

As with everything else though, I guess we'll see.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 21:30:02

I'm so glad to have found this new forum.
Anyways, I'm a regular at the Politic's Lounge. But I hope to visit here often.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 21:52:32

At 1/27/10 05:01 PM, coure wrote: Hey guys started a short story today and I'm probaly going to post it in a thread soon. Just thought I would let you know.

Awesome; can't wait to read it!

|Foxes Club| |I VOICE ACT.|

PSN ID: jake-thesnake_ng XBL: SFC Fox Paw

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 22:15:50

So I thought a speed writing thread would be a good idea where there would always be a new topic or idea flowing through. What do you guys think of it?

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1141 105

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 22:25:21

Hmm, we certainly seem to be throwing a lot at this forum before we aren't even sure what it is really like yet...

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 22:26:00

Well, I just got my Story Thread up and running AND I snagged a great name for it! :D

If you guys want to read my stuff, I would be much obliged. You don't have to critique it or anything (you can if you want, I suppose) - just the thought of others gaining some enjoyment from my stories is awesome enough for me

Happy writing, everyone.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 22:42:44

At 1/27/10 10:26 PM, RapeMuffin wrote: Well, I just got my Story Thread up and running AND I snagged a great name for it! :D

If you guys want to read my stuff, I would be much obliged. You don't have to critique it or anything (you can if you want, I suppose) - just the thought of others gaining some enjoyment from my stories is awesome enough for me

Happy writing, everyone.

Yep, beats the name I gave my thread.

(*wink wink nudge nudge*)

Yes, it is totally awesome when someone actually reads my stories of their own motivation. It's all about the subtle art of whoring...

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 22:59:39

At 1/27/10 10:42 PM, WritersBlock wrote:
At 1/27/10 10:26 PM, RapeMuffin wrote:
Happy writing, everyone.
Yep, beats the name I gave my thread.
(*wink wink nudge nudge*)

Hey - all the cool kids name their story threads after superhero hideouts... :D

Yes, it is totally awesome when someone actually reads my stories of their own motivation. It's all about the subtle art of whoring...

And not so subtle...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEAAAAAAASE READ MY STORIESSSS

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 23:34:28

I'm starting to like a lot of these threads that are showing up here. I am spending more time in here than in General or Clubs & Crews.
Mainly because reading stories takes up a lot of my time here but that's beside the point this place is almost better than General.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 23:50:17

This place is running very well.

Also shameless plug. Go to my poetry topic in my sig.

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 23:51:24

I'd like to suggest that anybody who wants to offer ideas about the forum you really should do it in gums thread. Not that anything being offered here is bad, heavens no, it's because some of the stuff I'm seeing here is actually quite GOOD and I'm afraid people will miss it if they aren't reading both threads and that would be a terrible shame. So I'd recommend any ideas suggested here that haven't migrated over be migrated over and then simply discussed there for the sake of organization and what not.

Plus lounges are supposed to be the "hang out" spots, where the "business" of the forum is set aside and people can just hang out and get to know each other :). Also something mentioned in the other thread that's probably worth bringing up here:

Would people be interested in having book discussion in this thread? Since it seems I've caused something of a mini controversy as we ruled it's not really appropriate to have a whole thread for that in this forum, but I can see where discussion might interest people. Again considering lounges tend to be general discussion among like minded people in a forum would that be something the like minded folks of this forum would be interested in seeing in this lounge?

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 23:56:08

At 1/27/10 11:51 PM, aviewaskewed wrote: Would people be interested in having book discussion in this thread? Since it seems I've caused something of a mini controversy as we ruled it's not really appropriate to have a whole thread for that in this forum, but I can see where discussion might interest people. Again considering lounges tend to be general discussion among like minded people in a forum would that be something the like minded folks of this forum would be interested in seeing in this lounge?

I was just thinking that myself, sounds like a good idea to me. I think anything elaborate or specific, such as unpacking and analysing a specific author/text/technique deserves its own thread, but the discussion of "what are you reading now/what's your favourite book/etc" is perfect for this lounge environment.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-27 23:56:33

At 1/27/10 11:51 PM, aviewaskewed wrote:

[other stuff]

Would people be interested in having book discussion in this thread? Since it seems I've caused something of a mini controversy as we ruled it's not really appropriate to have a whole thread for that in this forum, but I can see where discussion might interest people. Again considering lounges tend to be general discussion among like minded people in a forum would that be something the like minded folks of this forum would be interested in seeing in this lounge?

I saw a thread about books that you were reading, and it was locked. I would think that even though this is Writing, why not discuss other people's writing here as well? I'm sure that many of us have all read similar books and would love discussing them as much as we love discussing video games we have played, or movies we have watched.
Basically as long as users can keep an insightful look on the topic at hand, there shouldn't be any problems with threads like that. And also make sure their post is meaningful. Not just something like "lol that part was funny! XD"

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-28 00:25:24

If you love confusing, badly written short stories, read mine now.

If not, read it anyway.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-28 00:42:33

I have nothing against using the lounge for book discussion. It's probably the best place.

Oh, and if we're doing shameless plugs...

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1141 026

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-28 00:48:25

At 1/28/10 12:42 AM, Skye-McCloud wrote: I have nothing against using the lounge for book discussion. It's probably the best place.

Oh, and if we're doing shameless plugs...

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1141 026

Shameless plugs are the way to go. Will get around to reading in a mo', Skye.

I need help with something. For those who remember me when I went under the name(s): Searp3nt, -Echo- or Chaos-Seeker, you'd also remember that I wrote 'A BBS Life', an old forum story. Well I plan on remaking it, only updating it so it's new. And for that I need peon... people to sign up for it, so I can throw them in the story and kill them off at the end.

Joking. I wouldn't kill you off. Not all of you are Tasty_Turnips.

BBS Name:
Catch Phrase of Choice:
Can I do with you what I wish? (E.G would you get offended if you were used in a satanic ritual portion of the story, etc):

If you're interested, fill that out, and PM the shit out of me with it.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-01-28 00:58:04

At 1/27/10 11:56 PM, jake-thesnake wrote: I saw a thread about books that you were reading, and it was locked. I would think that even though this is Writing, why not discuss other people's writing here as well? I'm sure that many of us have all read similar books and would love discussing them as much as we love discussing video games we have played, or movies we have watched.

Have people actually read the description of this forum before clicking into it each day? Because to me a forum description is a mission statement and a guideline of what the forum at it's core is. This forum is meant to be a creative forum where people "share their literary art". That to me means we really shouldn't have much in the way of discussion threads here and most of the posts should be actual literary art users create (although this could be maybe relaxed a bit when the lit portal is up an running). I'm fine with literary criticism which is what Writersblock seems to be suggesting, but a thread that's essentially "I really liked this book, or this author" could easily be housed in General, or in C & C. It's inappropriate to a forum where sharing a form of art is the primary focus. There should be very few discussion threads cropping up here.

Basically as long as users can keep an insightful look on the topic at hand, there shouldn't be any problems with threads like that. And also make sure their post is meaningful. Not just something like "lol that part was funny! XD"

I'm fine with any topic we can make a reasonable case belongs here. That it adds to this forum AND doesn't really belong in an already established forum. A book club type thread, which to me is what that thread clearly was, has a home in either C & C or General. It does not belong in this forum titled "Writing" with the mission statement that this forum has.

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature