00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kingkavvvv just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Writing Forum Lounge

186,277 Views | 2,353 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-13 10:10:12

At 6/13/10 09:55 AM, Wolf-Raven wrote: I'll do a trade. I'll read over this Sci-Fi story of yours, if you agree to read over Sunless for me.

You'll give me feedback and I get to read your stuff and do the same?
You've got yourself a deal, young man!

Check your inbox.

- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-13 14:08:10

At 6/13/10 07:09 AM, RNNR wrote:

Science fiction is one of my favourite genres and I'm curious about your story. If you want a second opinion I'm here.

I hear voices... and they don't like you

Take a look, leave a comment and whatnot. | Peer support crew. | MA crew.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-13 14:39:20

At 6/13/10 02:08 PM, Abuelodigital17 wrote: Science fiction is one of my favourite genres and I'm curious about your story. If you want a second opinion I'm here.

Glee! Check your inbox.

You know, there are some words which are so... right. 'Glee' is one of them. The sound it has illustrates its meaning so well.

'Eloquent' is another one. 'Succinct'.

I also find English to be a lot more pleasing to the ear than Dutch, my native tongue.

</strangerant>

Succinct is sexy.

- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-13 19:48:44

As writers, I think we all need a sanctuary where we don't worry so much about the literary, and are able to discuss the secular things in our life which make living so much fun. It seems there's been a lot of talk regarding keeping the forum alive. While this is good, the subject would benefit from its own attention and not being crammed into the lounge.

What I propose is, while we can still talk about our chosen lifestyle, we allow ourselves the time to focus on other things such as personal drama, political and social beliefs or conflicts, and other things that pique our interest. One such personal example would be Association Football (Soccer). I don't want to have to jump to the flash forum lounge just to talk about my favorite sport. And I think it'll help foster a better relationships talking about these subjects.

To get to the point, who here follows football/soccer? If so, what's you're favorite club? Who's your favorite player? And what team are you cheering for this World Cup?

My favorite club is A.C. Milan. I love Italian football, and ACM also happens to have my favorite player, Ronaldinho. This World cup, while I hope team USA does well, I'm cheering Argentina (which is in spite of my original pick, Brazil, which decided not to play Ronaldinho), which is playing another one of my favorite players, Lio Messi.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-14 01:18:44

Deathcon?

Like the Deathcon i know from far back?

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.

I love them both

"Manuscripts don't burn"- Mikhail Bulgakov

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-14 08:48:49

At 6/14/10 01:18 AM, Wolf-Raven wrote: Deathcon?

Like the Deathcon i know from far back?

There ain't any other, bud. And if there were, I'd probably have to kill them. I'm not surprised to find you here, hehehe.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-14 09:37:28

At 6/14/10 08:48 AM, Deathcon7 wrote:
There ain't any other, bud. And if there were, I'd probably have to kill them. I'm not surprised to find you here, hehehe.

Well, you never know. Could be a convention of people with a death fetish.

Yeah, i had to know you were coming around eventually.

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.

I love them both

"Manuscripts don't burn"- Mikhail Bulgakov

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-14 14:29:16

At 6/13/10 07:48 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: To get to the point, who here follows football/soccer? If so, what's you're favorite club? Who's your favorite player? And what team are you cheering for this World Cup?

Football, the other one's called Handegg :p
Not a football fan myself, in fact no one in my household is.

Things are kinda crazy here, they actually changed my old high school's schedule so people could watch the Netherlands - Denmark match.
I know we won, but only because they announced it through our college's intercom.

So, yeah...

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-14 18:17:59

Here in the states we wonder why the Netherlands and Denmark even play against eachother in the World Cup. I mean, aren't they the same place?

Holland, right?

;-P

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-14 18:23:37

Damn Italy. Looks like Paraguay is going to hit it real hard this year.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-15 05:36:44

Suddenly I dislike most of the writing I've posted on this forum...
Does this ever happen to any of you?

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-15 05:41:11

It's called either an inferiority complex or a call for attention. Either should be worrisome. I haven't read any of your works, but judging by your recent post in your personal 'scrawlings' thread I'd say it's a bit hasty to make that statement. Give it some time to be viewed by the public before rendering judgment. After all, an artist doesn't decide how grand his art is, he simply creates.

Something to dwell on,
-J

The saddest aspect of man is that at the times that when he must act like a human most is when he completely abandons his humanity. Unknown Writer, Late 22nd Century

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-15 08:00:04

At 6/15/10 05:36 AM, MonkeyV wrote: Suddenly I dislike most of the writing I've posted on this forum...

I always feel everything I've written before the stuff I'm writing now is crap.
But that's also why I love it.

Can't help but smile upon realising how far I've come so far.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-15 09:09:20

At 6/14/10 06:17 PM, Ravariel wrote: Here in the states we wonder why the Netherlands and Denmark even play against eachother in the World Cup. I mean, aren't they the same place?

Holland, right?

;-P

I have three cheesemissiles aimed at your location. You will die a slow, fermenting death.

Fun fact: after the Netherlands, Denmark has the most bicycles per capita.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-15 10:50:23

At 6/14/10 06:17 PM, Ravariel wrote: Here in the states we wonder why the Netherlands and Denmark even play against eachother in the World Cup. I mean, aren't they the same place?

Holland, right?

;-P

good luck explaining that one to korea

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-15 12:42:56

At 6/15/10 05:36 AM, MonkeyV wrote: Suddenly I dislike most of the writing I've posted on this forum...

I've actually only posted one of my stories here and I quite liked it even though it was something that I had made a long time ago. After a few of these competitions are over I feel that I'll have enough stories to start up my own thread where I can keep all my stuff.

It would be nice to keep it all in one thread if at all possible because I tend to lose track of things very easily. I have a thread title planned out and everything. :)

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-16 00:17:20

Soooo much spam out tonight. Wanted to greet the morning with a list of my responses, but with all the spam I figured I'd just write instead. Anyway, consider this my official petition for another Writing forum mod.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-16 00:48:08

At 6/16/10 12:17 AM, Deathcon7 wrote: Soooo much spam out tonight. Wanted to greet the morning with a list of my responses, but with all the spam I figured I'd just write instead. Anyway, consider this my official petition for another Writing forum mod.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHHA -- vindication

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-16 01:10:32

If that topic is starting up once again, my stance is decidedly neutral. I don't think the mods feel as if they need help, and seeing as spam generally gets removed or sinks away after a day if we don't post in them we can ignore it.

In other news, after finishing my piece for June's Bi-MWC I'm once again able to start work on my project. Working on chapter 8, and still aiming for 20 like the one before.

Also, does anybody find when writing a longer story that sometimes the story can shift and characters react that surprise even you the writer? I started working on the latest chapter, and three paragraphs in I realized I was writing a sex scene, and I was actually surprised as I hadn't planned on putting anything beyond sexual references in the story before hand.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-16 01:24:19

So long as they're evolving within the desire parameters, I rarely get surprised at what ends up on the word processor/paper. Way I see it, if the writing ends up like that, then you've accomplished the task of creating a human character instead of the increasingly static archetypes that have become so prevalent recently.

On the mod situation: I can't comment much, considering my single-digit post count. All I can do is fervently hope I'm not part of the mentioned problem, and apologize if I am.

Good luck, Sin,
-J

The saddest aspect of man is that at the times that when he must act like a human most is when he completely abandons his humanity. Unknown Writer, Late 22nd Century

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-16 01:41:42

At 6/16/10 01:24 AM, JerryAntares wrote: So long as they're evolving within the desire parameters, I rarely get surprised at what ends up on the word processor/paper. Way I see it, if the writing ends up like that, then you've accomplished the task of creating a human character instead of the increasingly static archetypes that have become so prevalent recently.

Good luck, Sin,
-J

This is true. The sexual cravings come from the character's desire for human contact, having been in self-exile for many years. But I had only planned on referencing sex by having characters naked in bed after the fact. Oh well, shit happens.

And thanks J.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-16 13:27:59

At 6/16/10 01:41 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: This is true. The sexual cravings come from the character's desire for human contact, having been in self-exile for many years.

That sounds interesting. I'd like to read your way you've handled this.

So, anyone following/followed this year's E3? Kinect seems to have huge potential for interactive narrative.
I'm imagining games like Facade where gamers have actual conversations with in-game characters to advance the game, instead of today's most widely used solution: the dialogue tree.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-16 13:35:09

While a spoken-word game like that would be amazing, it would increase the production times of games exponentially, given all the possible responses that the player could give. The only solution would be for certain responses to not be acceptable, which would basically create a dialogue tree in spoken word form, where you don't know the choices.

Maybe some day, though...

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-16 14:49:56

At 6/16/10 01:35 PM, JerryAntares wrote: While a spoken-word game like that would be amazing, it would increase the production times of games exponentially, given all the possible responses that the player could give. The only solution would be for certain responses to not be acceptable, which would basically create a dialogue tree in spoken word form, where you don't know the choices.

Maybe some day, though...

It would require some killer AI and advanced speech recognition. But seeing the way things are going things like that aren't really that far off.
Facade is an experiment in AI and while not quite there is really promising, especially considering it's a few years old now.

As for voice control, Kinect is the first step to market that to a wider audience and should it prove successful it'll pave the way for even more awesome implementations.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-17 10:31:38

Just got around to reading The Yellow Wallpaper, which I recall someone on here mentioning quite a while ago (I think it might have been coop?), but I really enjoyed it. It's given me an idea that I might try to develop into a short story for the writing anthology, but I don't know just yet. I'm interested in the experimentation with perspective. People percieving things in a radically different way than normal. For example (SPOILERS) the narrator in the Yellow Wallpaper seeing the women in the wallpaper, the narrator in Fight Club seeing his alter ego as another person, David Wong under the influence of Soy Sauce in John Dies in the End (I'm still reading this at the moment, also thoroughly enjoying this), etc etc, and while I don't think my idea is anything overly radical or fucked up, it should at least provide an interesting challenge in addressing themes of identity and belonging, some ideas I've been wanting to tackle hard in my literature lately.

Oh yeah, now that I'm on my uni break I'm hoping to get through quite a lot of reading, as well as a lot of writing. After John Dies in the End, I'll be reading House of Leaves, which a friend loaned me because of its radically different narrative style, so I'm looking forward to getting into that. I've still got a ton of books on my bookshelf that I haven't read yet, or I've started reading but haven't finished, I think there's around 40-50 books, but at the moment I'm putting the classics to the side for the real innovative contemporary books that I've got. As a writer, I think as much as the classics were an essential part of shaping the literary world as we know it today, the 'conteporary classics' are about the here and now, and I feel there's a lot more room for experimentation in today's market.

I very briefly started writing my robot day story, and aside from that, I'll be writing something for the anthology, and that's all specifically for Newgrounds, so it feels good to write stuff specifically for this site again. Outside of this, however, I've submitted a poem to a local magazine, which recieved some very positive feedback from uni, although I won't know the outcome of the publication for some months. I'm also probably going to send off another short story to a competition, $3000 first prize. The short story's been well recieved by peers and writing friends, although I haven't recieved a mark from my tutor just yet, I'm hoping it should fare quite well in the competition, which, again, won't really have much to say for a few months.

I'd like to write more poetry over the coming weeks, although I can't really say much about having plans for that, as it usually just comes in the moment, with very little pre-emptive thought going into it. I'm sure at the end of the year I'll be making a push for something completely different. I'll definitely be aiming to have another draft novel tucked under my belt come NaNoWriMo in November, and next semester I'll be doing a unit on script writing, which should be fun, as I feel some of my short stories would work better as film scripts. Anywho, that's about everything for me at the moment, might be going on a writer's workshop with a few friends sometime next month, but we'll see how things go.

But definitely, ahem, give the Yellow Wallpaper a read. If you take anything from my post, it should be that over the whole "hey guys just popping in to talk extensively about me" paragraphs above.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-17 13:16:45

Holland, right?

;-P

I just saw this one and I had to point out that Holland is a part of The Netherlands, so not all of the country that is represented by players of a Dutch nationality, could be said to be playing for Holland. Yes, Holland (Noord Holland & Zuid Holland) are the most populous regions of the Netherlands, but they are not the entire country.

These two countries (Netherlands & Denmark) don't actually share a border - Denmark's only land border is with Germany, while The Netherlands share borders with Germany and Belgium.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-17 13:53:09

At 6/17/10 01:16 PM, Coop83 wrote: I just saw this one and I had to point out that Holland is a part of The Netherlands, so not all of the country that is represented by players of a Dutch nationality, could be said to be playing for Holland. Yes, Holland (Noord Holland & Zuid Holland) are the most populous regions of the Netherlands, but they are not the entire country.

I think he's playing on how annoying it is when people mix up Holland and the Netherlands.
If I got a nickel every time I heard that, I'd have five nickels.

If anything we find it way more annoying when people start impersonating German when around Dutch.
If I got a nickel every time I heard that, 916132 people would have been killed by nickel poisoning.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-17 14:39:55

At 6/17/10 01:53 PM, RNNR wrote:

If anything we find it way more annoying when people start impersonating German when around Dutch.
If I got a nickel every time I heard that, 916132 people would have been killed by nickel poisoning.

People do it because the languages sound fairly similar. Much like Pashtun and Dahri sound similar.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-17 15:02:15

At 6/17/10 02:39 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: People do it because the languages sound fairly similar. Much like Pashtun and Dahri sound similar.

Or Canadian and American.

Ohohohoho!

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-06-17 16:34:41

At 6/17/10 03:02 PM, RNNR wrote:
At 6/17/10 02:39 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: People do it because the languages sound fairly similar. Much like Pashtun and Dahri sound similar.
Or Canadian and American.

Ohohohoho!

We speak the same language, just different dialects.