00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted Ministerhomer supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Writing Forum Lounge

187,185 Views | 2,353 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-09 02:16:22

At 4/9/10 02:09 AM, PinballWizard976 wrote:
But anyways, I feel like I've spent way too much time discussing the use of this forum, instead of actually using it (oh the irony). So, maybe everyone should just chill the hell out a bit? Let's just write for gods sake.

For argument's sake...without Drama, where would we be as story tellers?

Eh? EH?

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.

I love them both

"Manuscripts don't burn"- Mikhail Bulgakov

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-09 02:23:08

At 4/9/10 02:16 AM, Wolf-Raven wrote:
At 4/9/10 02:09 AM, PinballWizard976 wrote:
But anyways, I feel like I've spent way too much time discussing the use of this forum, instead of actually using it (oh the irony). So, maybe everyone should just chill the hell out a bit? Let's just write for gods sake.
For argument's sake...without Drama, where would we be as story tellers?

Eh? EH?

Touché.

But I don't feel like there's anything productive coming out of all this bickering. I just really feel like writing, but I'm probably going to wait till tomorrow since it's 2:30 am on a Thursday and I got school tomorrow

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-09 03:33:06

At 4/9/10 02:16 AM, Wolf-Raven wrote: For argument's sake...without Drama, where would we be as story tellers?

Well, in that case, for argument's sake - what came first, the drama, or the dramatist?

Seriously, drama arose from people telling tales of what had happened that they had seen to embellishing the story to making it sound better, to completely making up the story for the best dramatic effect.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-09 07:22:41

I believe that when a group of people, such as us, are confined to the limits of a small forum for long periods of time there are bound to be some bouts of drama. Conflict is human nature, even if minimal in desire to some. Besides is an argument bad if the sides are logical?

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-09 11:39:58

At 4/9/10 07:22 AM, TrevorW wrote: I believe that when a group of people, such as us, are confined to the limits of a small forum for long periods of time there are bound to be some bouts of drama. Conflict is human nature, even if minimal in desire to some. Besides is an argument bad if the sides are logical?

do you suggest that this forum is to small, to limiting, and that drama is an inevitable consequence of this confinding format?

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-09 11:44:36

At 4/9/10 07:22 AM, TrevorW wrote: I believe that when a group of people, such as us, are confined to the limits of a small forum for long periods of time there are bound to be some bouts of drama. Conflict is human nature, even if minimal in desire to some. Besides is an argument bad if the sides are logical?

I agree. If you coup up someone in a house, no matter how large, they'll get a bit edgy, and that's the point i feel we might be. We can get on the newgrounds stage to tell some stories that actually had TIME to think of plot, characters, theme and conflict!

Also, i heard a quote that said: The opposite of a true statement is a false statement. the opposite of a profound truth could indeed be another profound truth.

And Coop, I'm thinking they're one in the same. i could go all philosophy on, over and in it, but it's 11:30, and i'm lacking in coffee.

But we have a good group here. I haven't seen anything overly immature since i came here. then again, i don't think NG forums have that high of a bar for maturity, so calling someone an ass for lambasting their story earns you utils.

Political Science: A haughty soap opera. Philosophy: A cold, mind-fucking bitch.

I love them both

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-09 22:47:04

At 4/9/10 11:39 AM, munio wrote:
do you suggest that this forum is to small, to limiting, and that drama is an inevitable consequence of this confinding format?

Forum as in a place to present ideas, not necessarily a BBS forum. If you want less conflict then find a large forum that you can simply get lost in...like general.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-10 01:54:50

Hey guys since I'm kind of a whore I'd like to advertise the NG writer's tournament I'm organizing and it'd be pretty rad if all you guys like signed up for that.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-10 03:08:10

At 4/10/10 01:54 AM, Ass-Crumb wrote: Hey guys since I'm kind of a whore I'd like to advertise the NG writer's tournament I'm organizing and it'd be pretty rad if all you guys like signed up for that.

Np, "pretty rad" eh ;P.
:Forum as in a place to present ideas, not necessarily a BBS forum. If you want less conflict then find a large forum that you can simply get lost in...like general.

and i agree with Trevor.

If you're a HARDCORE FAN prepare to be always disappointed.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-11 04:24:48

At 4/9/10 11:44 AM, Wolf-Raven wrote: And Coop, I'm thinking they're one in the same. i could go all philosophy on, over and in it, but it's 11:30, and i'm lacking in coffee.

What am I, the district philosopher? I just analysed one statement and answered it to the best of my abilities.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-11 13:50:58

At 4/11/10 04:24 AM, Coop83 wrote:
At 4/9/10 11:44 AM, Wolf-Raven wrote: And Coop, I'm thinking they're one in the same. i could go all philosophy on, over and in it, but it's 11:30, and i'm lacking in coffee.
What am I, the district philosopher? I just analysed one statement and answered it to the best of my abilities.

Stop it! You are the local philosopher, accept it.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-11 16:20:02

At 4/11/10 01:50 PM, TrevorW wrote:
At 4/11/10 04:24 AM, Coop83 wrote:
Stop it! You are the local philosopher, accept it.

i thought he was the village idiot? but local philosophere is about the same thing right?

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-11 16:46:28

Don't want to be a whore or anything but i'd appreciate it

If you'd check this out

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-12 03:17:06

Do you know what I would like to see more of in this entire forum; Writing Games.

You know, where you continue the story one post at a time. Ahhh :)

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-12 06:47:21

At 4/12/10 03:17 AM, iCurrie wrote: Do you know what I would like to see more of in this entire forum; Writing Games.

You know, where you continue the story one post at a time. Ahhh :)

There are usually a few but too many of them and you have a mess. I don't know. We have seemed to shy away from them.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-12 16:36:07

No offence to any writer here, but they seem to start to degrade... I mean, it takes care to come out with something good, but when you start formatting it like a roleplay, that talent gets a bit lost.

I should know, it happened to me quite a bit back in the day.

I love them both

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-12 18:37:51

At 4/12/10 04:36 PM, Wolf-Raven wrote: No offence to any writer here, but they seem to start to degrade... I mean, it takes care to come out with something good, but when you start formatting it like a roleplay, that talent gets a bit lost.

I should know, it happened to me quite a bit back in the day.

Don't forget to mention that it isn't yours anymore either.

If you're a HARDCORE FAN prepare to be always disappointed.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-12 22:00:16

Indeed, there is a massive clash of styles, ideas, and atmosphere. It changes drastically with each and every post.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-12 22:06:41

At 4/12/10 10:00 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: Indeed, there is a massive clash of styles, ideas, and atmosphere. It changes drastically with each and every post.

I can see where your coming from, but to a degree, is that such a bad thing? I mean, writing is art. And art shouldn't have to be conventional rubbish all the time. No harm in going a little crazy, especially only on Newgrounds. Obviously nobody wants that happening with an individual story, but with a quick 'put-together' there isn't much harm done.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-13 10:23:12

At 4/12/10 10:06 PM, iCurrie wrote:
At 4/12/10 10:00 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: Indeed, there is a massive clash of styles, ideas, and atmosphere. It changes drastically with each and every post.
I can see where your coming from, but to a degree, is that such a bad thing? I mean, writing is art. And art shouldn't have to be conventional rubbish all the time. No harm in going a little crazy, especially only on Newgrounds. Obviously nobody wants that happening with an individual story, but with a quick 'put-together' there isn't much harm done.

I never did say it was a bad thing, but it can be frustrating to any one writer. You get an idea that you think would be awesome and start to guide the story down that path, but the very next paragraph tears that away from you, and turn the story into something you don't really want to be a part of. This doesn't happen all the time mind you. It's just a possibility, and fairly common I would think.

You are right though that a quick put together doesn't cause much harm, but a great deal of folk here have a lot of pride in their writing, and have many projects they are working on, and don't always like to see their work, even if only a few paragraphs, taken down a road they don't wish to travel.

Again, I'm not saying their a bad thing, just pointing out some reasons why they aren't as popular.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-13 13:03:11

At 4/13/10 10:23 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: Again, I'm not saying their a bad thing, just pointing out some reasons why they aren't as popular.

I see where your coming from with this too. And I know you weren't saying it was a bad thing, I just used it as an expression more than a literal term. But if people just played along for interest, in reading people different styles, what ideas different minds come up with, etc, its better. Not so much because they want a great story worth publishing, but because its different, and interesting to see minds, ideas, and styles clashing.

And its not all that hard to partake. Most don't need to spend 20 minutes perfecting their portion, they can always drop in with a quick 'He walked down the narrow halfway, dimly lit by fluorescent lights' or something like that, made longer of coarse. Just make it sound, slightly creative, and your set. But yeah, I get your point. Just wouldn't mind seeing at least one really, take off.

On another note, I wish people in this forum would start adapting the whole 'Art Forum' style for putting their writing on. I mean, its neater, smarter, more efficient, and easily managed. Most people should know what I mean, and I know this forum is new and has room to grow. But it would be good to see, I think.

It makes commenting on writing so much easier for me. And makes certain writers more recognizable. Is this a good thing to adapt, in your opinion?

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-14 22:14:40

Hey guys.
What would you think of a story featuring a guy who wakes up every morning, remembering the world to be very different than how it actually is? This guy will be aware that he is simply having memory problems, and not that everything is actually changing around him.

For example, and this is meant to be funny even though the story will not necessarily be:

"Woke up this morning, and all the stop signs were octagonal. It will take me a while to get used to them not being circles anymore."

Also the story won't be as blunt.
It will be told, obviously, in the past tense, so the reader will get to experience the changes along with him. For example, he could wake up one day to find that the dog which he remembers having owned and loved his whole life never actually existed.

Just a thought (Well not really. I've already started writing it), but what are your opinions? Also are there already any stories you know of that use this idea?

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-14 22:23:15

At 4/14/10 10:14 PM, MonkeyV wrote: Hey guys.
What would you think of a story featuring a guy who wakes up every morning, remembering the world to be very different than how it actually is? This guy will be aware that he is simply having memory problems, and not that everything is actually changing around him.

I think this is a pretty good idea, and personally, I think you could twist it into a really good dramatic piece, illustrating how slowly all the things and people has loved and cared about are slowly being taken away from him. Think of how that could seriously twist a man, and the ways you could develop it! Damn I wish I had this idea. But, I'm all doom and gloom in my writing, whereas I think you said you could make it a comedy piece. I think that would work well too, although personally I don't know how you could go about writing it.

Anyway, I like the idea, and I'm definitely going to give it a read!

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-14 22:43:18

At 4/14/10 10:23 PM, megakill wrote:

Damn I wish I had this idea. But, I'm all doom and gloom in my writing, whereas I think you said you could make it a comedy piece. I think that would work well too, although personally I don't know how you could go about writing it.

Oh, no, I'm definitely going to make it a tragedy ;)
Just the example was comedic because it's the first thing that came to mind. I actually hope to submit it to the anthology thing that GumOnShoe is setting up.

Here's a draft of the first paragraph, which I wrote on paper earlier today when I was bored and waiting in my dad's van after I got picked up from school. Sort of like an intro. (I'm not going to be posting any more of it after this, though)

"I woke up one morning, and the sky was blue. It was unbelievable. Outrageous. The most miraculous thing I had ever seen up to that point. That's quite an accomplishment, considering the amount of absurdity I've experienced in my time here on Earth. Can you imagine something as gigantic and imposing as the sky, just suddenly changing in such a dramatic way? Maybe you can't see how it would be such a big deal, but let me tell you something: One can never truly understand what a huge part of life the sky is until they can't stop looking at it.
But anyway..."

I'll probably change it around, but I like it for now (Possibly get rid of "Outrageous." I dunno)

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-14 23:37:59

how many of you like fast moving storied, or stories that move slow, but are incredably detailed about sight smell touch ect. ect. ?

i like pie ^^

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-15 00:14:53

At 4/14/10 11:37 PM, nothingmater wrote: stories that move slow, but are incredably detailed about sight smell touch ect. ect. ?

I find those very annoying actually (Maybe because nobody ever does it right?). It might work if all of the extra description doesn't feel arbitrary.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-15 00:31:24

i think i do good at them :o

i like pie ^^

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-15 00:35:06

I was wondering, I knew of one a few years ago but haven't been able to remember it since.

What are some writing admission websites? Notable ones. You know, for poetry, stories, etc. Where you just submit them and they get rated and commented, etc. Any ideas? I can't think of any.

If anyone uses Newgrounds as an example, I will gut you.

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-15 06:50:04

At 4/15/10 12:35 AM, iCurrie wrote:
If anyone uses Newgrounds as an example, I will gut you.

What do you want? We have some great reviewers on NG.

BBS Signature

Response to Writing Forum Lounge 2010-04-15 10:44:47

well you know, newgrounds does that :p

nah just look in google, for somethign like "writtign submission sites"

i like pie ^^